|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baldy's father lose his license to be a surgeon?
2. What does Henry do with his winning medal?
3. In what type of competition does Henry make the finals?
4. What new job does Henry's father get?
5. Why can't Henry read the books he borrows from the library late at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Big Henry tell Henry that he will be going back to school?
2. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
3. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
4. In regards to respect, how do Henry and Wagoner view things?
5. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
6. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
7. Henry's mother is afraid that Abe's mother will call a lawyer after Abe's arm is broken playing baseball with Henry. How does this situation resolve itself?
8. What insights does Henry have about Baldy while he continues to walk him home each day?
9. Why does Henry believe that he was hired for the job at Mears-Starbuck over the job at the airplane factory?
10. Describe the interaction Henry has with Clare, Jimmy's mother, after Jimmy passes out from drinking too much.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Henry's childhood. How does he relate to other children? Why is this the case? How does Henry's father's employment affect his childhood?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing your school experience to that of Henry. In what ways are they the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you prefer the one you have or that of Henry? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)