|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Henry become obsessed with and talk incessantly about?
2. Which of the following students commits suicide?
3. What does Big Henry want Henry to be?
4. Why does Henry take ROTC again?
5. What new job does Henry's father get?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
2. What contradiction occurs within Henry after he wins at the ROTC competition?
3. What does Pete ask Henry to do which eventually causes him to earn 1000 demerits?
4. Describe the interaction Henry has with Clare, Jimmy's mother, after Jimmy passes out from drinking too much.
5. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
6. Why does Henry reveal that he believes that Abe ruined his graduation day for him?
7. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
8. How does Big Henry feel about his new job?
9. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
10. Why does Big Henry tell Henry that he will be going back to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing why Big Henry would be so enthralled with his new job at the museum. Why was this important? Why did he consider it like magic? Do you agree with how he feels?
Essay Topic 2
Henry has a very low opinion of his future at the end of the novel. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you think his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Henry often wants to do the right thing in the novel, but is unable to do it. Write about at least one example of this in the novel and be sure to describe the reaction Henry wants to complete but does not. What would you do in the same situation? Why?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)