|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is popular but poor?
2. Why does Henry's father send him to Chelsey?
3. Where does Henry go everyday once he returns to school?
4. Why doesn't Henry go to the doctor anymore?
5. What does Henry see ahead for him in his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contradiction occurs within Henry after he wins at the ROTC competition?
2. Why does Henry say that he likes to be singled out as the bad guy?
3. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
4. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
5. What insights does Henry have about Baldy while he continues to walk him home each day?
6. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
7. Why does Henry reveal that he believes that Abe ruined his graduation day for him?
8. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
9. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
10. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Henry's father treated Henry throughout the novel. Did this change? Why do you believe it has changed? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Henry feels about God. Do you believe his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why you believe the author often provides no explanation for words or actions. Think of the time Henry told the principal he would kill him as one example.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)