|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete ask Henry to do so he can be with Lilly?
2. Why can't Henry read the books he borrows from the library late at night?
3. Why does Henry take ROTC again?
4. What happened to Jimmy's father?
5. Why does Abe's mother decide not to sue Henry's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction Henry has with Clare, Jimmy's mother, after Jimmy passes out from drinking too much.
2. Why does Henry believe that he was hired for the job at Mears-Starbuck over the job at the airplane factory?
3. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
4. Why is Henry no longer afraid of being beaten by his father?
5. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
6. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
7. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
8. Henry's mother is afraid that Abe's mother will call a lawyer after Abe's arm is broken playing baseball with Henry. How does this situation resolve itself?
9. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
10. Why does Henry reveal that he believes that Abe ruined his graduation day for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Jimmy desperately wants to be friends with Henry. How does Jimmy show this? Do you think it helps or hurts his chances of being friends with Henry? Would you be friends with Jimmy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing why Big Henry would be so enthralled with his new job at the museum. Why was this important? Why did he consider it like magic? Do you agree with how he feels?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)