|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry join at his new high school?
2. How do the boys in shop class learn to rebuild engines?
3. Which of the following characters is popular but poor?
4. What did the man who dated Jimmy's mother pay her to do according to Jimmy?
5. How does Lilly get Mr. Stanhope to let them use their textbooks during the test?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Big Henry feel about his new job?
2. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
3. Henry's mother is afraid that Abe's mother will call a lawyer after Abe's arm is broken playing baseball with Henry. How does this situation resolve itself?
4. Why is Henry no longer afraid of being beaten by his father?
5. Why does Henry say that he likes to be singled out as the bad guy?
6. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
7. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
8. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
9. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
10. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Henry's experience in the ROTC. Do you believe ROTC was good for Henry? Do you believe Henry should join the military? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Henry feels about God. Do you believe his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)