|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry say that he was selected for the job at Mears-Starbuck?
2. What job does Henry imagine he will have?
3. Why does Abe make all A grades?
4. How many demerits do Baldy and Henry get when Wagoner sees them keeping watch for Lilly and Pete?
5. What does a typical day in Henry's imagination of his 'good life' look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contradiction occurs within Henry after he wins at the ROTC competition?
2. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
3. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
4. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
5. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
6. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
7. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
8. What does Pete ask Henry to do which eventually causes him to earn 1000 demerits?
9. How does Big Henry feel about his new job?
10. When Henry asked his question and chose a small scroll from the box what did it say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Baldy and Henry. How does Henry justify to himself that he is similar to Baldy? Henry says that he doesn't like Baldy, but yet spends time with him and walks him home each day, why do you think this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)