|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry put out a lot of job applications?
2. What do the doctors expose Henry to in hopes of treating the acne and boils?
3. What does Big Henry become obsessed with and talk incessantly about?
4. In which class do all of the boys have a crush on the teacher?
5. What does one of the boys tell Henry happens to him each time he brings home an F?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
2. Why does Henry reveal that he believes that Abe ruined his graduation day for him?
3. Why does Henry believe that he was hired for the job at Mears-Starbuck over the job at the airplane factory?
4. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
5. In regards to respect, how do Henry and Wagoner view things?
6. Describe the interaction Henry has with Clare, Jimmy's mother, after Jimmy passes out from drinking too much.
7. How does Big Henry feel about his new job?
8. What treatment does Henry receive from the doctors to help treat his boils and horrible acne?
9. Why does Big Henry tell Henry that he will be going back to school?
10. What insights does Henry have about Baldy while he continues to walk him home each day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Jimmy desperately wants to be friends with Henry. How does Jimmy show this? Do you think it helps or hurts his chances of being friends with Henry? Would you be friends with Jimmy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Henry feels about God. Do you believe his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how Henry's father treated Henry throughout the novel. Did this change? Why do you believe it has changed? Use information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)