|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Henry when his father insists he keeps the salve on much longer than is recommended?
2. Why does Henry get in trouble on his first trip when he arrives to do the restocking?
3. Why does Henry take ROTC again?
4. Why is Henry asked not to return next semester to ROTC?
5. What does one of the boys tell Henry happens to him each time he brings home an F?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
2. Why does Henry say that he likes to be singled out as the bad guy?
3. Why is Henry no longer afraid of being beaten by his father?
4. In regards to respect, how do Henry and Wagoner view things?
5. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
6. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
7. Why does Henry believe that he was hired for the job at Mears-Starbuck over the job at the airplane factory?
8. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
9. What treatment does Henry receive from the doctors to help treat his boils and horrible acne?
10. What does Pete ask Henry to do which eventually causes him to earn 1000 demerits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry has a very low opinion of his future at the end of the novel. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you think his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing why Henry would say that he doesn't hate his father and is too confused for that. Would you be able to hate Big Henry if he were your father? Why or why not?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)