|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box that Henry's grandmother gave to him?
2. How do Jimmy and Henry get to the beach?
3. Why does Henry say that he can't make an obvious mistake?
4. What is physically wrong with Henry as he starts high school?
5. What do the doctors expose Henry to in hopes of treating the acne and boils?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Henry's grandmother brings over her crucifix to help to treat his boils and acne.
2. What does Pete ask Henry to do which eventually causes him to earn 1000 demerits?
3. In regards to respect, how do Henry and Wagoner view things?
4. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
5. Why is Henry no longer afraid of being beaten by his father?
6. What treatment does Henry receive from the doctors to help treat his boils and horrible acne?
7. Why does Henry believe that he was hired for the job at Mears-Starbuck over the job at the airplane factory?
8. How does Big Henry feel about his new job?
9. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
10. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Henry's experience in the ROTC. Do you believe ROTC was good for Henry? Do you believe Henry should join the military? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing why Henry would say that he doesn't hate his father and is too confused for that. Would you be able to hate Big Henry if he were your father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why you believe the author often provides no explanation for words or actions. Think of the time Henry told the principal he would kill him as one example.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)