|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does Henry have about most of the maneuvers in ROTC?
2. Why does Henry think that he didn't get the job at the airplane factory?
3. Why does Henry take ROTC again?
4. Who does Coach Wagoner say will be his next challenge to a fight?
5. Which of the following descriptions does Henry make about the boys at his Jr. High School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Henry's grandmother brings over her crucifix to help to treat his boils and acne.
2. Why is Henry no longer afraid of being beaten by his father?
3. Why does Henry believe that he was hired for the job at Mears-Starbuck over the job at the airplane factory?
4. When Henry asked his question and chose a small scroll from the box what did it say?
5. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
6. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
7. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
8. What contradiction occurs within Henry after he wins at the ROTC competition?
9. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
10. Describe the interaction Henry has with Clare, Jimmy's mother, after Jimmy passes out from drinking too much.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry often takes pride in his wounds from battle. He even goes so far as to look forward to additional beatings. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe Henry should feel this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Henry's experience in the ROTC. Do you believe ROTC was good for Henry? Do you believe Henry should join the military? Why or why not?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)