|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry get in trouble on his first trip when he arrives to do the restocking?
2. What happens to end the baseball game that Henry talks Abe into playing with them?
3. Who does Coach Wagoner say will be his next challenge to a fight?
4. How do the boys in shop class learn to rebuild engines?
5. Which of the following things isn't Lilly allowed to do during biology class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
2. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
3. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
4. How does Big Henry feel about his new job?
5. Why does Henry say that he likes to be singled out as the bad guy?
6. Why does Big Henry tell Henry that he will be going back to school?
7. What contradiction occurs within Henry after he wins at the ROTC competition?
8. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
9. What treatment does Henry receive from the doctors to help treat his boils and horrible acne?
10. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Jimmy desperately wants to be friends with Henry. How does Jimmy show this? Do you think it helps or hurts his chances of being friends with Henry? Would you be friends with Jimmy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing why Big Henry would be so enthralled with his new job at the museum. Why was this important? Why did he consider it like magic? Do you agree with how he feels?
Essay Topic 3
Henry often wants to do the right thing in the novel, but is unable to do it. Write about at least one example of this in the novel and be sure to describe the reaction Henry wants to complete but does not. What would you do in the same situation? Why?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)