|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is physically wrong with Henry as he starts high school?
2. What does Henry's grandmother bring to help with the boils and acne?
3. What do the doctor's say that Henry has?
4. What does one of the boys tell Henry happens to him each time he brings home an F?
5. What happens to Henry when his father insists he keeps the salve on much longer than is recommended?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry no longer afraid of being beaten by his father?
2. Why do you believe that Henry's parents want him to be more like Abe and less like himself?
3. What insights does Henry have about Baldy while he continues to walk him home each day?
4. In regards to respect, how do Henry and Wagoner view things?
5. Why does Henry indicate that even though he is going to get in trouble for ruining his shirt for fighting with Gibson, it is still a good day?
6. Henry's mother is afraid that Abe's mother will call a lawyer after Abe's arm is broken playing baseball with Henry. How does this situation resolve itself?
7. Describe the scene where Henry's grandmother brings over her crucifix to help to treat his boils and acne.
8. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
9. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
10. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Baldy and Henry. How does Henry justify to himself that he is similar to Baldy? Henry says that he doesn't like Baldy, but yet spends time with him and walks him home each day, why do you think this is the case.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)