|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction does Henry tell his father that they are traveling when asked?
2. What do Frank and Henry see that they say won't be able to go to Heaven?
3. What happens within the baseball game with Miranda Bell after several innings with no score?
4. What would Henry lose when he got through the afternoon fights with the other boys at school?
5. What does Henry remember doing when he visited his grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
2. What does Henry's father overreact to after Henry completes the assigned lawn chores and what punishment does he give to Henry?
3. What intrigues the group of boys about the spider and how is it ruined for them?
4. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
5. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
6. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
7. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
8. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
9. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
10. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Henry's experience in the ROTC. Do you believe ROTC was good for Henry? Do you believe Henry should join the military? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Jimmy desperately wants to be friends with Henry. How does Jimmy show this? Do you think it helps or hurts his chances of being friends with Henry? Would you be friends with Jimmy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Henry's parents often refer to his friends as good boys, but never seem to compliment Henry. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe this is fair to Henry? What do you think this does to shape Henry's view of himself? Why?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)