|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Frank and Henry sell to the Jewish ladies who sit on the benches at the beach?
2. What happens to Henry in confession?
3. Where does Henry's father drive when the picnic basket was empty one day?
4. Why does Henry ask his teacher when she keeps him after class the day after he learns what sex is?
5. How do Frank and Henry get to the airshow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry feel after the beating from his father and what actions does he take?
2. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
3. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
4. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
5. What does Henry's father overreact to after Henry completes the assigned lawn chores and what punishment does he give to Henry?
6. How can the reader infer that Aunt Anna and her family need money to buy food?
7. What is odd about the first afternoon that David and Henry walk home from school together?
8. What do Henry and Stanley agree upon that happens at school?
9. What intrigues the group of boys about the spider and how is it ruined for them?
10. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how advanced Henry seems to be for a first grader. Do you believe first graders today act like Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of chapter 58, Henry walks away saying that the loss of the second game is important but that he doesn't know why. Why do you think he feels that way? Do you agree? Does this seem like a climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)