|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank like?
2. With whom does Henry spend most of his free time?
3. What does Henry say that his father does wherever they are?
4. Why does the doctor say that Big Henry should not blame Henry for the car accident?
5. What sport does Henry imagine that he is great at playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Henry and Frank make a break and run away from the man who picked them up and drove them to the air show?
2. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
3. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
4. Describe, in detail, an example of Big Henry's tendency to create scenes in public.
5. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
6. How can the reader infer that Aunt Anna and her family need money to buy food?
7. Why does Henry's mother tell him that he can't go home anymore and give him ten dollars?
8. What does Pete ask Henry to do which eventually causes him to earn 1000 demerits?
9. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
10. Henry's mother is afraid that Abe's mother will call a lawyer after Abe's arm is broken playing baseball with Henry. How does this situation resolve itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of chapter 58, Henry walks away saying that the loss of the second game is important but that he doesn't know why. Why do you think he feels that way? Do you agree? Does this seem like a climax? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing why Henry wants to be a bad guy. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer. Should Henry look to people like Dillinger and Ma Barker as role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)