|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank's father's give the boys money to visit?
2. What does Red use to help win fights with bigger boys?
3. Why does Henry ask his teacher when she keeps him after class the day after he learns what sex is?
4. What does Henry's father do when he arrives at the hospital?
5. What does Henry's mother give to Anna and her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
2. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
3. What does Henry's father overreact to after Henry completes the assigned lawn chores and what punishment does he give to Henry?
4. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
5. How does Henry feel after the beating from his father and what actions does he take?
6. Describe the relationship between Lila Jean and Henry and the things they do together.
7. What does Henry say to his father that is insightful when his father tells him they are traveling the wrong direction and he says that he will leave him behind?
8. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
9. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
10. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Henry's father treated Henry throughout the novel. Did this change? Why do you believe it has changed? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of chapter 58, Henry walks away saying that the loss of the second game is important but that he doesn't know why. Why do you think he feels that way? Do you agree? Does this seem like a climax? Why or why not?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)