|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David share with Henry?
2. Why does Henry say he dislikes the music David plays?
3. Where does Henry kiss Lila Jane and grab her behind?
4. What do Frank and Henry see that they say won't be able to go to Heaven?
5. Why do the other players say that Henry should play on the baseball team that plays teams from other schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
2. Describe in detail Henry's first day of classes at L.A. City College.
3. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
4. What does Henry say to his father that is insightful when his father tells him they are traveling the wrong direction and he says that he will leave him behind?
5. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
6. Why does Big Henry tell Henry that he will be going back to school?
7. What happens between Mr. Knox and Henry when Henry is sent to the principal's office for fighting?
8. Describe the scene where Henry's grandmother brings over her crucifix to help to treat his boils and acne.
9. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
10. Why does Henry believe he doesn't fit in to his new school called Chelsey High?
Essay Topic 1
Henry often wants to do the right thing in the novel, but is unable to do it. Write about at least one example of this in the novel and be sure to describe the reaction Henry wants to complete but does not. What would you do in the same situation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Henry often takes pride in his wounds from battle. He even goes so far as to look forward to additional beatings. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe Henry should feel this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)