|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is called Red and has a fake arm?
2. What does Henry become obsessed with in Kindergarten?
3. What occupation does Henry tell his new teacher that his father has?
4. Why does David's mother berate him when he arrives home from school when Henry walks him home?
5. What would Henry's father use to show him magic tricks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
2. After Henry learns about sex from one of his friends, what does he say repulses him about the idea of sex?
3. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
4. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
5. How can the reader infer that Aunt Anna and her family need money to buy food?
6. What happens when Henry's father drives to an orange grove to pick oranges?
7. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
8. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
9. Why wouldn't Big Henry allow Henry's mother to give Aunt Anna money when they obviously needed some to buy food?
10. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Henry's childhood. How does he relate to other children? Why is this the case? How does Henry's father's employment affect his childhood?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how advanced Henry seems to be for a first grader. Do you believe first graders today act like Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)