|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry do which makes Chuck, Eddie, Frank and Gene upset with him for a few weeks?
2. What are the boys doing under the grandstand?
3. What position does Henry play in the kickball games in physical education class?
4. What would Henry's father use to show him magic tricks?
5. How do Frank and Henry get to the airshow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Big Henry and Katherine have been married for a number of years, what new information did Katherine learn about her husband?
2. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
3. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
4. What happens between Mr. Knox and Henry when Henry is sent to the principal's office for fighting?
5. Why wouldn't Big Henry allow Henry's mother to give Aunt Anna money when they obviously needed some to buy food?
6. What happens when Henry's father drives to an orange grove to pick oranges?
7. What do Henry and Stanley agree upon that happens at school?
8. How can the reader infer that Aunt Anna and her family need money to buy food?
9. What intrigues the group of boys about the spider and how is it ruined for them?
10. Why do Henry and Frank make a break and run away from the man who picked them up and drove them to the air show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how advanced Henry seems to be for a first grader. Do you believe first graders today act like Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing your school experience to that of Henry. In what ways are they the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you prefer the one you have or that of Henry? Why?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)