|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Frank and Henry often hitchhike?
2. Who tells Henry to stop playing the piano?
3. Where does Big Henry say he will move after he sues the driver that hit Henry?
4. Why does the principal send a note home to Henry's parents?
5. What do Frank and Henry sell to the Jewish ladies who sit on the benches at the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
2. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
3. What is odd about the first afternoon that David and Henry walk home from school together?
4. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
5. How does Henry feel after the beating from his father and what actions does he take?
6. What sins does Henry make up when he can't think of anything he's done wrong during confession?
7. What is Henry curious about in regards to Red and how does he satisfy it?
8. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
9. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
10. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry's parents often refer to his friends as good boys, but never seem to compliment Henry. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe this is fair to Henry? What do you think this does to shape Henry's view of himself? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Henry's childhood. How does he relate to other children? Why is this the case? How does Henry's father's employment affect his childhood?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)