|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Big Henry is confronted by his wife and Edna in his own house?
2. Why doesn't Henry go with the class to see the personal appearance by President Hoover?
3. What does Edna do when Big Henry refuses to choose?
4. Why does the doctor say that Big Henry should not blame Henry for the car accident?
5. What happens as Henry walks home from school after his teacher keeps him late?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
2. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
3. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
4. Why do Henry and Frank make a break and run away from the man who picked them up and drove them to the air show?
5. Describe, in detail, an example of Big Henry's tendency to create scenes in public.
6. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
7. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
8. What does Henry say to his father that is insightful when his father tells him they are traveling the wrong direction and he says that he will leave him behind?
9. What happens when Henry asks to be excused from dinner because he is in too much pain to eat?
10. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing your school experience to that of Henry. In what ways are they the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you prefer the one you have or that of Henry? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Henry often takes pride in his wounds from battle. He even goes so far as to look forward to additional beatings. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe Henry should feel this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how advanced Henry seems to be for a first grader. Do you believe first graders today act like Henry? Why or why not?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)