|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Frank's father?
2. Why does Henry say he dislikes the music David plays?
3. What sport do Red and Henry play together?
4. Why do the other players say that Henry should play on the baseball team that plays teams from other schools?
5. Why doesn't Henry play with the boys in the neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Henry's father drives to an orange grove to pick oranges?
2. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
3. After Henry learns about sex from one of his friends, what does he say repulses him about the idea of sex?
4. What intrigues the group of boys about the spider and how is it ruined for them?
5. Though Big Henry and Katherine have been married for a number of years, what new information did Katherine learn about her husband?
6. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
7. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
8. What does Henry's father overreact to after Henry completes the assigned lawn chores and what punishment does he give to Henry?
9. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
10. What happens when Henry asks to be excused from dinner because he is in too much pain to eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing why Henry wants to be a bad guy. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer. Should Henry look to people like Dillinger and Ma Barker as role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry often takes pride in his wounds from battle. He even goes so far as to look forward to additional beatings. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe Henry should feel this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry feels about God. Do you believe his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)