|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lila ask Henry?
2. Which of the following characters is cross-eyed?
3. What does Red use to help win fights with bigger boys?
4. What instrument does David play?
5. What does Henry say gives him the courage to fight harder when the bigger boys try to take the football away from him and Red?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
2. What is odd about the first afternoon that David and Henry walk home from school together?
3. Describe, in detail, an example of Big Henry's tendency to create scenes in public.
4. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
5. What do Henry and Stanley agree upon that happens at school?
6. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
7. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
8. Though Big Henry and Katherine have been married for a number of years, what new information did Katherine learn about her husband?
9. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
10. What happens between Mr. Knox and Henry when Henry is sent to the principal's office for fighting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing why Henry wants to be a bad guy. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer. Should Henry look to people like Dillinger and Ma Barker as role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Henry's childhood. How does he relate to other children? Why is this the case? How does Henry's father's employment affect his childhood?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of chapter 58, Henry walks away saying that the loss of the second game is important but that he doesn't know why. Why do you think he feels that way? Do you agree? Does this seem like a climax? Why or why not?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)