|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Frank and Henry continue to exchange after Frank moves away?
2. How did the baseball game with Miranda Bell end?
3. What does Henry's father do for a living?
4. What does Henry's mother give to Anna and her family?
5. Why does the principal send a note home to Henry's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
2. What sins does Henry make up when he can't think of anything he's done wrong during confession?
3. What intrigues the group of boys about the spider and how is it ruined for them?
4. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
5. What happens between Mr. Knox and Henry when Henry is sent to the principal's office for fighting?
6. What is Henry curious about in regards to Red and how does he satisfy it?
7. How does Henry begin to be included with the neighborhood boys?
8. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
9. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
10. After Henry learns about sex from one of his friends, what does he say repulses him about the idea of sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how advanced Henry seems to be for a first grader. Do you believe first graders today act like Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Henry often wants to do the right thing in the novel, but is unable to do it. Write about at least one example of this in the novel and be sure to describe the reaction Henry wants to complete but does not. What would you do in the same situation? Why?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)