|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the doctor say that Big Henry should not blame Henry for the car accident?
2. Where does Henry kiss Lila Jane and grab her behind?
3. What was odd about his parents when Henry visited his grandfather?
4. What were Katherine and Betsy making when Henry and his family visited?
5. How do Frank and Henry get to the airshow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
2. What does Henry think is childish about the ROTC mock battles?
3. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
4. How does Henry feel after the beating from his father and what actions does he take?
5. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
6. Though Big Henry and Katherine have been married for a number of years, what new information did Katherine learn about her husband?
7. How does Henry get even with Baldy during gym class?
8. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
9. Why does Henry believe that Lilly is an evil woman who will send them all to hell?
10. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing why Henry wants to be a bad guy. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer. Should Henry look to people like Dillinger and Ma Barker as role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Jimmy desperately wants to be friends with Henry. How does Jimmy show this? Do you think it helps or hurts his chances of being friends with Henry? Would you be friends with Jimmy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Henry's destruction of the spider web is really him lashing out against his own entrapment. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answers. Do you believe Henry is justified in wanting to lash out? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)