Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is cross-eyed?
2. How does Henry's father describe his brothers?
3. Where is Big Henry's brother?
4. Which of the following homophones did Henry's father use in a joke?
5. What does Henry do which makes Chuck, Eddie, Frank and Gene upset with him for a few weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
2. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
3. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
4. Describe the interaction Henry has with Clare, Jimmy's mother, after Jimmy passes out from drinking too much.
5. Describe how Jimmy and Henry 'discussed' their thoughts about friendship in English class.
6. What is Henry curious about in regards to Red and how does he satisfy it?
7. Describe the relationship between Lila Jean and Henry and the things they do together.
8. What happens when Henry's father drives to an orange grove to pick oranges?
9. Why does Henry say that he likes to be singled out as the bad guy?
10. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
Henry has a very low opinion of his future at the end of the novel. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you think his feelings are justified? Why or why not?
Henry's parents often refer to his friends as good boys, but never seem to compliment Henry. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe this is fair to Henry? What do you think this does to shape Henry's view of himself? Why?
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)