|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Henry's family often do on Sunday's when his grandmother didn't visit?
2. How does Henry's father describe his brothers?
3. What does Henry do when he hears his father beating his mother after the confrontation?
4. How does Henry says boys from his school take their beatings?
5. Where was Henry born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
2. Why did Henry become obsessed with bathroom practices in kindergarten?
3. Though Big Henry and Katherine have been married for a number of years, what new information did Katherine learn about her husband?
4. What is Henry curious about in regards to Red and how does he satisfy it?
5. Why wouldn't Big Henry allow Henry's mother to give Aunt Anna money when they obviously needed some to buy food?
6. Describe, in detail, an example of Big Henry's tendency to create scenes in public.
7. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
8. What happens between Mr. Knox and Henry when Henry is sent to the principal's office for fighting?
9. How does Henry begin to be included with the neighborhood boys?
10. What happens when Henry asks to be excused from dinner because he is in too much pain to eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing why Big Henry would be so enthralled with his new job at the museum. Why was this important? Why did he consider it like magic? Do you agree with how he feels?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining why you believe the author often provides no explanation for words or actions. Think of the time Henry told the principal he would kill him as one example.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Baldy and Henry. How does Henry justify to himself that he is similar to Baldy? Henry says that he doesn't like Baldy, but yet spends time with him and walks him home each day, why do you think this is the case.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)