|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Henry play with the boys in the neighborhood?
2. In what year did Henry's memory take place?
3. What does Henry tell the principal?
4. Where does Henry's father drive when the picnic basket was empty one day?
5. Where is Katherine's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
2. Describe the relationship between Lila Jean and Henry and the things they do together.
3. What happens at the pool that causes Red to move away from Henry without a word of goodbye?
4. What do Henry and Stanley agree upon that happens at school?
5. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
6. Though Big Henry and Katherine have been married for a number of years, what new information did Katherine learn about her husband?
7. What happens between Mr. Knox and Henry when Henry is sent to the principal's office for fighting?
8. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
9. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
10. What does Henry's new teacher do with Henry's essay about the personal appearance of President Hoover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry's parents often refer to his friends as good boys, but never seem to compliment Henry. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe this is fair to Henry? What do you think this does to shape Henry's view of himself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how Henry's father treated Henry throughout the novel. Did this change? Why do you believe it has changed? Use information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)