|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was odd about his parents when Henry visited his grandfather?
2. Of what is Henry's first memory?
3. What does Henry say that his father does wherever they are?
4. What is Henry's mother's reaction to the note from the principal?
5. What happens after Big Henry is confronted by his wife and Edna in his own house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
2. What does Henry's father overreact to after Henry completes the assigned lawn chores and what punishment does he give to Henry?
3. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
4. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
5. When Frank moves away with his mother what does he send back to Henry that they continue to exchange for awhile?
6. Describe, in detail, an example of Big Henry's tendency to create scenes in public.
7. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
8. How does Henry begin to be included with the neighborhood boys?
9. After Henry learns about sex from one of his friends, what does he say repulses him about the idea of sex?
10. What is odd about the first afternoon that David and Henry walk home from school together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Henry feels about religion. Why does he consider himself an agnostic? Do you believe this is an accurate description of Henry? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Henry's parents often refer to his friends as good boys, but never seem to compliment Henry. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you believe this is fair to Henry? What do you think this does to shape Henry's view of himself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing your school experience to that of Henry. In what ways are they the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you prefer the one you have or that of Henry? Why?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)