|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David's mother berate him when he arrives home from school when Henry walks him home?
2. What does David share with Henry?
3. What does Henry say that his father does wherever they are?
4. Why does the principal send a note home to Henry's parents?
5. Why does Henry ask his teacher when she keeps him after class the day after he learns what sex is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Henry asks to be excused from dinner because he is in too much pain to eat?
2. How does Henry begin to be included with the neighborhood boys?
3. Why do Henry and Frank make a break and run away from the man who picked them up and drove them to the air show?
4. What do Henry and Stanley agree upon that happens at school?
5. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
6. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
7. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
8. What happens when Henry's father drives to an orange grove to pick oranges?
9. What does Henry witness when he walks David home and then waits for him outside?
10. Describe, in detail, an example of Big Henry's tendency to create scenes in public.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Baldy and Henry. How does Henry justify to himself that he is similar to Baldy? Henry says that he doesn't like Baldy, but yet spends time with him and walks him home each day, why do you think this is the case.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing why Henry would say that he doesn't hate his father and is too confused for that. Would you be able to hate Big Henry if he were your father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Jimmy desperately wants to be friends with Henry. How does Jimmy show this? Do you think it helps or hurts his chances of being friends with Henry? Would you be friends with Jimmy? Why or why not?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)