|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David's mother berate him when he arrives home from school when Henry walks him home?
2. What happens to Henry in confession?
3. What sport do Red and Henry play together?
4. Which of the following characters is called Red and has a fake arm?
5. What instrument does David play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Big Henry's dream of moving to the South Seas and never working again be realized?
2. How does Henry begin to be included with the neighborhood boys?
3. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
4. What sins does Henry make up when he can't think of anything he's done wrong during confession?
5. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
6. What does Big Henry say he will do once the doctor tells him that the driver who hit Henry was drunk?
7. What events transpired which led Henry to be sent to the principal's office?
8. What does Henry talk about in relation to the boys at his grammar school?
9. Why do Henry and Frank make a break and run away from the man who picked them up and drove them to the air show?
10. What is odd about the first afternoon that David and Henry walk home from school together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Henry's father goes to an imaginary job each day? Write an essay describing how you would feel if you were in Henry's father's position? What would you do? Why? Do you agree with going to the imaginary job each day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing your school experience to that of Henry. In what ways are they the same? In what ways are they different? Which do you prefer the one you have or that of Henry? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing why Henry would say that he doesn't hate his father and is too confused for that. Would you be able to hate Big Henry if he were your father? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)