|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport does Henry imagine that he is great at playing?
2. What grade is Henry in when David moves away?
3. What does Henry tell the principal?
(a) Leave me alone
(b) I'll kill you
(c) I hate you
(d) I'll get you
4. What punishment does Henry get from his father when he brings home the note from the principal?
(a) Beating with a wooden spoon
(b) Whipping with a branch
(c) Beating with a razor strop
(d) Whipping with a belt
5. When does Big Henry begin making his rounds to collect money?
(a) After his rounds
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's father do for a living?
2. Which of the characters stands up for Henry when a boy tries to beat him up and causes the boy to run away crying?
3. Where did Henry's grandmother live?
4. What causes fist fights in the vacant lots among some of Henry's friends?
5. What does Henry say that his father does wherever they are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry's mother tell him that he can't go home anymore and give him ten dollars?
2. What does Henry say he's discovered after Baldy introduces him to the drinking of alcohol?
3. What sins does Henry make up when he can't think of anything he's done wrong during confession?
4. What insights does Henry have about Baldy while he continues to walk him home each day?
5. What does Henry's grandfather give him that is important to him?
6. Henry's mother is afraid that Abe's mother will call a lawyer after Abe's arm is broken playing baseball with Henry. How does this situation resolve itself?
7. What is a common theme among many of the children and adults by this point in the novel?
8. How does Henry describe the class of large boys who are in his classes at the Jr. High School?
9. Why does Henry say that he is opposite of most of his teachers and the other students as they begin to protest the Germans?
10. Why does Henry reveal that he believes that Abe ruined his graduation day for him?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)