|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pete ask Henry to do so he can be with Lilly?
(a) Walk Lilly home so that she is safe
(b) Beat up Wagoner for him
(c) Stand watch while they do it in an old car behind the shop
(d) Bring Baldy to protect Pete from Lilly's dad
2. Which word describes how Henry feels about the signs he shows of his battle with Gibson?
3. Why does Henry get in trouble on his first trip when he arrives to do the restocking?
(a) He shows up late because he has to work
(b) Elevator operator makes him wait while he goes to the bathroom
(c) He stopped to feed a starving dog
(d) He stopped to get into a fight on his way through the store
4. What happens to Pete and Lilly after Wagoner finds them in the car?
(a) They get 100000 demerits
(b) They beat up Henry and Baldy for not keeping better watch
(c) They get married
(d) They never return to school
5. What does Henry see ahead for him in his life?
6. Why does Abe's mother decide not to sue Henry's family?
(a) Henry's father beats her up
(b) Henry's mother convinces her not to
(c) Abe says it was his fault
(d) Henry begs her not to
7. Which character introduces Henry to drinking alcohol?
8. How do Jimmy and Henry get to the beach?
(a) They hitchhike 15 miles to the beach
(b) The bike 15 miles to the beach
(c) They walk 15 miles to the beach
(d) They take the bus 15 miles to the beach
9. Henry says that his seventh grade football team used games against the eight and ninth graders as an opportunity for ___________.
(a) Skipping classes
(b) Chance to meet girls
(c) Learning new skills
10. Which of the following students commits suicide?
(a) Lilly Fischman
(b) Arnie Whitechapel
(c) Harry Walden
(d) Richard Waite
11. Why does Henry say that he can't make an obvious mistake?
(a) He would be beaten by the other members of the squad
(b) It would hurt Corporal Monty
(c) It would cause him to be laughed at
(d) He would be forced to quit the ROTC
12. How does Harry escape from Henry when Henry threatens him?
(a) Cowers in the hall
(b) Calls Miss Gredis to help him
(c) Beats Henry Up
(d) Points over Henry's shoulder
13. What does his last follow-up doctor tell Henry to drink to help with the acne and boils?
(a) Blueberry juice
(b) Carrot juice
(c) Cranberry juice
(d) Vegetable juice
14. Why did Baldy's father lose his license to be a surgeon?
(a) He killed one of his patients
(b) He can no longer see due to an accident
(c) He is a drunk
(d) No one can afford to pay, so he used violence to collect fees
15. After he loses the fight, what does the coach tell the boys to do?
(a) Stop ganging up on him
(b) Never return to gym class
(c) To get off campus
(d) Put out their cigarettes
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Henry imagine he will have?
2. Why does Henry think that he didn't get the job at the airplane factory?
3. What happened to Jimmy's father?
4. Why can't Henry read the books he borrows from the library late at night?
5. What does Jimmy do to the family dog at his girlfriend's house?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)