|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Jimmy's father?
(a) Committed suicide
(b) Left to be with another woman
(c) Moved to another state to practice medicine
(d) Went into the military
2. After he loses the fight, what does the coach tell the boys to do?
(a) Never return to gym class
(b) Put out their cigarettes
(c) To get off campus
(d) Stop ganging up on him
3. Why does Abe make all A grades?
(a) His father beats him if he gets less than an A
(b) His mother makes him study all the time
(c) He will do anything to get a better life and job
(d) He is naturally smart and easily gets As
4. Who gives Henry the finger on graduation day?
5. Why did Baldy's father lose his license to be a surgeon?
(a) He is a drunk
(b) He killed one of his patients
(c) No one can afford to pay, so he used violence to collect fees
(d) He can no longer see due to an accident
6. Which of the following descriptions does Henry make about the boys at his Jr. High School?
(a) Tigers with mange
(b) Wild dogs of Africa
(c) Horses left out to pasture
(d) Turtles sunning themselves on the sand
7. Who brings two sets of boxing gloves for a match?
8. Why is Henry asked not to return next semester to ROTC?
(a) He uses his rifle to take shots at birds on the campus causing many students to be frightened
(b) He has sex with one of the other students during the time he is supposed to be in ROTC
(c) He beats up the ROTC instructor
(d) Placing the rifle on his shoulder breaks boils and causes blood to leak through his shirt
9. What happens during the mock war exercises?
(a) One member always quits or dies
(b) Blood is always shed
(c) Both sides claim to win
(d) Henry's team always loses
10. How do Jimmy and Henry get to the beach?
(a) They walk 15 miles to the beach
(b) They hitchhike 15 miles to the beach
(c) They take the bus 15 miles to the beach
(d) The bike 15 miles to the beach
11. How do the boys in shop class learn to rebuild engines?
(a) They don't ever learn
(b) By watching the teacher do it
(c) Watching movies
(d) Doing it themselves
12. What is physically wrong with Henry as he starts high school?
(a) Covered in boils and acne
(b) Broken legs
(c) Lost his fingers
(d) Has no finger nails
13. How does Henry's father feel about the fact that Henry broke Abe's arm?
14. How many demerits do Baldy and Henry get when Wagoner sees them keeping watch for Lilly and Pete?
15. Why can't Henry read the books he borrows from the library late at night?
(a) His father refuses to allow Henry to borrow books
(b) He must do chorse at night or risk getting beaten
(c) Lights out at eight o'clock
(d) He is not allowed to read in the house
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a typical day in Henry's imagination of his 'good life' look like?
2. Why does Henry get in trouble on his first trip when he arrives to do the restocking?
3. Which character introduces Henry to drinking alcohol?
4. Which of the following is not true about Harry?
5. What does Jimmy do to the family dog at his girlfriend's house?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)