Chapters 1 through 5
• The novel opens with Henry describing his earliest memory of being under something, perhaps a table.
• He remembers that people were always telling him that he was always eating.
• He was born in 1922 in Germany, but then relocated to America.
• His whole family is now in America.
• Henry only remembers visiting his grandfather once and his parents stayed in the car.
• His grandfather gave him a gummy badge from his German military days and a pocket watch.
• The family regularly visits with Henry's grandmother in Pasadena
• She encourages Henry to play the piano.
• When they aren't spending a Sunday with his grandmother, the family would often go for long drives and picnics.
• One time when the picnic basket was empty, Big Henry attempted to steal oranges from an orange grove only to have the grove owner chase them away with a gun.
• Big Henry talks...
This section contains 2,474 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)