|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Long do when he realizes Yank won't stop causing trouble?
2. How does Yank pronounce church?
3. How does the author describe Yank's eyes?
4. What does the fat gentleman yell at Yank?
5. Which two characters come walking up a side street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion.
Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)