|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the voices decide to let Yank rave?
2. What does Long do when he realizes Yank won't stop causing trouble?
3. What does a voice advise Yank to join if he wants to get back at the girl?
4. What does IWW stand for?
5. What do the voices say the sermon was about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the capitalist class oppress the working classes? How have the working classes made life better for themselves over the centuries? In what way was communism a reaction against working class oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of O'Neill's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Neill's argument?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)