|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank refer to the prison guard as?
2. What do most of the men smoke?
3. What does Long say the white collar stiffs are asking Jesus for?
4. Why do the voices decide to let Yank rave?
5. How does the author describe Yank's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their goal? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)