|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank say he thought Mildred was?
2. What do the others respect about Yank?
3. What kind of metal does Yank say he is?
4. What does Paddy say he wished Yank did to Mildred?
5. What does the Yank hurl at the door when Mildred leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mildred and her aunt discuss?
2. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
3. Why is Mildred's aunt against the idea of Mildred going down into the engine room?
4. Why do the men fear Yank?
5. Describe the setting in scene three.
6. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
7. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
8. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
9. What does Long think is the only way workers can gain power?
10. Where does Yank say is the sailor's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)