|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mildred call the Yank?
2. What does Mildred tell the second engineer she dislikes?
3. What does Yank think Mildred called him?
4. What does Paddy say Mildred was dressed like when she came into the stokehole?
5. Who does Paddy sing whiskey is the life of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
2. Describe the setting in scene four.
3. Why does Mildred say it is not important if she dirties her white dress?
4. Why is Yank deep in thought?
5. What is the setting in scene five?
6. How does the author the compare exploitation of the working classes with Christianity?
7. Why does the guard hose Yank down?
8. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
9. What image does the author say he is trying to set?
10. Why is the secretary suspicious of Yank's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion.
Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
In 1942, William Bendix starred in a film version of the Hairy Ape. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 6 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)