|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives enough light to create shadows?
2. What does Mildred tell the second engineer she dislikes?
3. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
4. Who do most of the men smoke?
5. How does Yank pronounce the word think?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yank say he has been doing since his confrontation with the police officer?
2. How does the gorilla react to Yank?
3. Why does Yank say he wants to join the union?
4. Why is the secretary suspicious of Yank's behavior?
5. How does O'Neill express Mildred does not belong in the world downstairs?
6. Describe the setting in scene four.
7. Why is Yank angry with Mildred?
8. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
9. How does Yank get himself arrested?
10. What does Long think is the only way workers can gain power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do Yank's generation face? How are the problems for Yank's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between a play and a book in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)