|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
2. What does Yank say he has forgotten?
3. What does Yank shout at the "Belfast bum" for doing?
4. What does the author compare the mens' throats to?
5. Which two engineers arrive in the stoke room with Mildred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yank remember from his childhood?
2. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
3. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
4. How does scene two contrast with scene one?
5. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
6. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
7. Why does Yank say he wants to join the union?
8. How does Yank get himself arrested?
9. Why does Yank say he is jealous of the gorilla?
10. What does Yank say he has been doing since his confrontation with the police officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1920s century society.
1. The IWW.
3. The class system..
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between a play and a book in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
In 1942, William Bendix starred in a film version of the Hairy Ape. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 6 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)