|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt tell Mildred she loathes?
2. What is the color of Mildred's clothes?
3. What animal does O'Neill compare Paddy's face to?
4. How does Yank describe Mildred's hands?
5. What kind of metal does Yank say he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the guard hose Yank down?
2. Why does Mildred say it is not important if she dirties her white dress?
3. What is Long's opinion of what happened to Mildred in the engine room?
4. How does Yank get the men working harder?
5. Why does Long believe the engineers were showing Mildred the engine room?
6. How does Yank get himself arrested?
7. Where does Yank say is the sailor's home?
8. Why is Yank deep in thought?
9. How does Yank act differently than in previous scenes?
10. How does scene two contrast with scene one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. Discuss how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
What problems do Yank's generation face? How are the problems for Yank's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their goal? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)