|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yank pronounce the word think?
2. Where does scene four take place?
3. What does Yank say all the engineers are?
4. Where does the coal stick to the men?
5. What work does Mildred say sounds thrilling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
2. Why is Mildred's aunt against the idea of Mildred going down into the engine room?
3. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
4. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
5. How does scene two contrast with scene one?
6. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
7. What is the setting in scene five?
8. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
9. What happens when the Yank releases the gorilla from its cage?
10. Describe the setting in scene seven?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1920s century society.
1. The IWW.
3. The class system..
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion.
Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)