|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank tell the men he is trying to do?
2. What do the men use to throw open the furnace doors?
3. What does the author compare the mens' throats to?
4. What does Mildred see swirling against the sky?
5. What does Mildred call the Yank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
2. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
3. How does Yank get the men working harder?
4. Why is Yank deep in thought?
5. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
6. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
7. What does Long think is the only way workers can gain power?
8. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
9. Why does Yank suddenly become angry with Mildred's father?
10. What does Yank say he has been doing since his confrontation with the police officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)