|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank say all the engineers are?
2. What word Yank uses do the men repeat?
3. Where does Paddy say Midred's father is making money?
4. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
5. In which city did Mildred work as a social worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Wobblies?
2. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
3. Where does Yank say is the sailor's home?
4. How does Yank react when the chief engineer begins blowing his whistle even louder than before?
5. How does scene two contrast with scene one?
6. How does Yank get the men working harder?
7. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
8. How do the crowd react to Yank's anger?
9. What image does the author say he is trying to set?
10. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion.
Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of O'Neill's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Neill's argument?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)