|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank say all the engineers are?
2. How does Yank pronounce the word think?
3. What kind of weather does Yank tell Paddy he stands for?
4. What does Long say the engineers were exhibiting them like?
5. What does Mildred tell the second engineer she dislikes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Neill express Mildred does not belong in the world downstairs?
2. Why does Long believe the engineers were showing Mildred the engine room?
3. How does Yank show his rage at the end of the fourth scene?
4. Describe the setting in scene three.
5. What does Long tell Yank he is fighting?
6. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
7. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
8. Why does Yank say he is jealous of the gorilla?
9. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
10. Why does Yank think he and the men are better than the upperclasses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2Who are the IWW and how influential have the IWW been in American society? What are O'Neill's views of the IWW? How does he express his views in the book?
Essay Topic 3What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)