|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author compare the mens' throats to?
2. Of what company is Mildred's father the president?
3. What kind of metal does Yank say he is?
4. What does Yank say is the ship's booze?
5. What does Yank tell the men to pile the furnace with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
2. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
3. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
4. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
5. How does Long remind Yank of his anger towards Mildred?
6. Decribe the setting in scene eight.
7. What does Long say about the capitalist class?
8. In what way do Mldred and her aunt depart on bad terms?
9. Why is Mildred's aunt against the idea of Mildred going down into the engine room?
10. Why does the guard hose Yank down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between a play and a book in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)