Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy say he wished Yank did to Mildred?
2. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
3. What animal does the author compare to the Yank's face?
4. Where does the coal stick to the men?
5. What gives enough light to create shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Long's opinion of what happened to Mildred in the engine room?
2. Why is Yank disappointed he sees the IWW's office?
3. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
4. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
5. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
6. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
7. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
8. What happens when the Yank releases the gorilla from its cage?
9. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
10. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Examine the construction of O'Neill's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Neill's argument?
Examine the book's dialogue. Discuss how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)