|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Irish city does Yank mention in the third scene?
2. What does Long call Mildred?
3. What animal do the men say the dirt will make spot on Yank like?
4. What do the sailors say rhymes with drink?
5. What drink do the voices want Paddy to sing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
2. How does Long remind Yank of his anger towards Mildred?
3. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
4. Describe the opening scene?
5. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
6. How does Mildred react to Yank's rage?
7. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
8. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
9. What does Long think is the only way workers can gain power?
10. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their goal? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's dialogue. Discuss how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of O'Neill's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Neill's argument?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)