|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal do the men say the dirt will make spot on Yank like?
2. What does the author say makes a teeth gritting sound?
3. In which city did Mildred work as a social worker?
4. What is the name of the song Paddy sings at the end of the first scene?
5. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Long tell Yank he is fighting?
2. Who are the Wobblies?
3. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
4. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
5. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
6. How does Yank get the men working harder?
7. How does O'Neill express Mildred does not belong in the world downstairs?
8. Decribe the setting in scene eight.
9. Why does Long believe the engineers were showing Mildred the engine room?
10. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion.
Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Yank's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Yank hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yank's ideas about life?
3. How has Yank's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their goal? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)