|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the rivelets of sweat have traced on the mens' backs?
2. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
3. Which two engineers arrive in the stoke room with Mildred?
4. What does Paddy say the engineer told Mildred they roast their workers in?
5. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yank think he and the men are better than the upperclasses?
2. What does Yank decide is the only way to get back at people who have ruined his life?
3. How does Yank act differently than in previous scenes?
4. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
5. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
6. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
7. What does Long tell Yank he is fighting?
8. How do the crowd react to Yank's anger?
9. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
10. Why does Yank say he wants to join the union?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What problems do Yank's generation face? How are the problems for Yank's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
How do the capitalist class oppress the working classes? How have the working classes made life better for themselves over the centuries? In what way was communism a reaction against working class oppression?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)