|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the men staring at?
2. What does Yank say he thought Mildred was?
3. What does Long say is Mildred's father's political beliefs?
4. What Irish city does Yank mention in the third scene?
5. What does Paddy say ten doctors and nurses will be feeding Mildred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men fear Yank?
2. How does Yank get the men working harder?
3. Describe the setting in scene six.
4. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
5. Why is Mildred's aunt against the idea of Mildred going down into the engine room?
6. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
7. Why is Yank deep in thought?
8. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
9. How does the gorilla react to Yank?
10. How does Yank get himself arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)