|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank say he can breathe and swallow?
2. What kind of food does Mildred say her aunt reminds her of?
3. What does Yank say is the ship's middle name?
4. Who turns Yank to stone?
5. Where does scene four take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yank angry with Mildred?
2. Decribe the setting in scene eight.
3. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
4. Describe the setting in scene three.
5. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
6. In what way do the sailors sound like a mob when they speak?
7. How does the author the compare exploitation of the working classes with Christianity?
8. Why does Yank say he is jealous of the gorilla?
9. What does Long tell Yank he is fighting?
10. How do the crowd react to Yank's anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Yank's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Yank hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yank's ideas about life?
3. How has Yank's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What problems do Yank's generation face? How are the problems for Yank's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
In 1942, William Bendix starred in a film version of the Hairy Ape. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 6 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)