|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paddy sing whiskey is the life of?
2. What does Paddy say ten doctors and nurses will be feeding Mildred?
3. What does Long say the engineers were exhibiting them like?
4. What is the color of Mildred's clothes?
5. What animal does the author compare to the Yank's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
2. In what way do the sailors sound like a mob when they speak?
3. Why does Yank think he and the men are better than the upperclasses?
4. Decribe the setting in scene eight.
5. Why is Mildred's aunt against the idea of Mildred going down into the engine room?
6. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
7. What does Yank say he has been doing since his confrontation with the police officer?
8. How does Yank react when the chief engineer begins blowing his whistle even louder than before?
9. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
10. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1920s century society.
1. The IWW.
3. The class system..
Essay Topic 2
Compare Yank's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Yank hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yank's ideas about life?
3. How has Yank's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. Discuss how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)