|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink do the voices say is doped?
2. What does Yank shout at the "Belfast bum" for doing?
3. What kind of pipe does Mildred say her grandmother smoked?
4. Where does scene two take place?
5. What gives enough light to create shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yank react when the chief engineer begins blowing his whistle even louder than before?
2. How does the author the compare exploitation of the working classes with Christianity?
3. Describe the setting in scene three.
4. Describe the setting in scene six.
5. How does Yank show his rage at the end of the fourth scene?
6. What do Mildred and her aunt discuss?
7. Describe the setting in scene seven?
8. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
9. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
10. How does the language used in the scene reflect the the natures of the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Yank's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Yank hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Yank's ideas about life?
3. How has Yank's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)