|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men say Yank has forgotten to do?
2. What does Paddy say he wished Yank did to Mildred?
3. Of what company is Mildred's father the president?
4. What kind of food does Mildred say her aunt reminds her of?
5. What does Mildred say she will do with her dress if she gets it dirty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
2. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
3. How does Yank get himself arrested?
4. In what way do Mldred and her aunt depart on bad terms?
5. Why is Yank angry with Mildred?
6. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
7. Who are the Wobblies?
8. How does the language used in the scene reflect the the natures of the characters?
9. Describe the setting in scene three.
10. Describe the setting in scene seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
Essay Topic 2
In 1942, William Bendix starred in a film version of the Hairy Ape. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 6 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. Discuss how the author's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)