|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank say he can breathe and swallow?
2. Who is escorting Mildred to the stoke hole?
3. Where do the voices say they are going to after hell?
4. What does the author say the rivelets of sweat have traced on the mens' backs?
5. What does Mildred call the Yank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yank react when the chief engineer begins blowing his whistle even louder than before?
2. Describe the opening scene?
3. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
4. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
5. Why does Mildred say it is not important if she dirties her white dress?
6. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
7. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
8. Describe the setting in scene six.
9. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
10. How does Yank show his rage at the end of the fourth scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their goal? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)