|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paddy say Midred's father is making money?
2. What does Yank say is the ship's booze?
3. What does Yank say all the engineers are?
4. What does Mildred tell the second engineer she dislikes?
5. What drink do the voices say is doped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Long tell Yank he is fighting?
2. In what way do the sailors sound like a mob when they speak?
3. How does Long remind Yank of his anger towards Mildred?
4. How does Mildred react to Yank's rage?
5. How does Yank act differently than in previous scenes?
6. How does Yank get the men working harder?
7. Describe the setting in scene four.
8. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
9. Why does Mildred say it is not important if she dirties her white dress?
10. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the IWW and how influential have the IWW been in American society? What are O'Neill's views of the IWW? How does he express his views in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)