|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yank describe Mildred's hands?
2. What drink do the voices say is doped?
3. Where does Paddy say Midred's father is making money?
4. What does Paddy tell his crew he is never too drunk to do?
5. What does Mildred tell the second engineer she dislikes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the language used in the scene reflect the the natures of the characters?
2. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
3. Where does Yank say is the sailor's home?
4. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
5. How does Yank react when the chief engineer begins blowing his whistle even louder than before?
6. Why do the men fear Yank?
7. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
8. Why does Yank suddenly become angry with Mildred's father?
9. Why is Yank disappointed he sees the IWW's office?
10. How does Yank act differently than in previous scenes?
Essay Topic 1
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
Essay Topic 2
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of O'Neill's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in O'Neill's argument?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)