|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives enough light to create shadows?
2. What does Yank think Mildred called him?
3. What does Long say is Mildred's father's political beliefs?
4. What does Yank tell Paddy he is as nutty as?
5. In which city did Mildred work as a social worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Long believe the engineers were showing Mildred the engine room?
2. Why does Yank think he and the men are better than the upperclasses?
3. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
4. Descibe the setting in scene two?
5. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
6. How does scene two contrast with scene one?
7. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
8. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
9. Why does Mildred say it is not important if she dirties her white dress?
10. What does the article accuse the IWW of trying to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about 1920s century society.
1. The IWW.
3. The class system..
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine capitalism and communism. How did capitalism and communism evolve into important movements? What are the differences between the two schools of thought? Why did capitalism become the dominant system in America?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)