Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy say he wished Yank did to Mildred?
2. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
3. What animal does the author compare to the Yank's face?
4. Where does the coal stick to the men?
5. What gives enough light to create shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Long's opinion of what happened to Mildred in the engine room?
2. Why is Yank disappointed he sees the IWW's office?
3. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
4. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
5. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
6. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
7. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
8. What happens when the Yank releases the gorilla from its cage?
9. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
10. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion.
Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)