Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy say he wished Yank did to Mildred?
2. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
3. What animal does the author compare to the Yank's face?
4. Where does the coal stick to the men?
5. What gives enough light to create shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Long's opinion of what happened to Mildred in the engine room?
2. Why is Yank disappointed he sees the IWW's office?
3. How does Yank react when Mildred leaves the engine room?
4. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
5. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
6. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
7. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
8. What happens when the Yank releases the gorilla from its cage?
9. What does Rodin's The Thinker represent?
10. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
Essay Topic 1
How do the capitalist class oppress the working classes? How have the working classes made life better for themselves over the centuries? In what way was communism a reaction against working class oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)