|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does scene two take place?
2. Which two engineers arrive in the stoke room with Mildred?
3. How does Yank describe Mildred's hands?
4. How does O'Neill describe Mildred's aunt?
5. What does Yank think Mildred called him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Yank say is the sailor's home?
2. How does Yank get the men working harder?
3. Descibe the setting in scene two?
4. What is the setting in scene five?
5. What does Yank say he has been doing since his confrontation with the police officer?
6. Why does Yank get angry when a woman looks at the monkey fur coat in the shop?
7. How does Yank show his rage at the end of the fourth scene?
8. What does Long tell Yank he is fighting?
9. What is Long's opinion of what happened to Mildred in the engine room?
10. How does Yank act differently than in previous scenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do Yank's generation face? How are the problems for Yank's generation different to the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)