|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the others respect about Yank?
2. What Irish city does Yank mention in the third scene?
3. Who do most of the men smoke?
4. What did Mildred study at university?
5. What does Mildred call the Yank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
2. How does Long remind Yank of his anger towards Mildred?
3. How does Yank show his rage at the end of the fourth scene?
4. Describe the opening scene?
5. Describe the setting in scene seven?
6. How does the gorilla react to Yank?
7. What does Yank decide is the only way to get back at people who have ruined his life?
8. Why does Yank say he wants to join the union?
9. Descibe the setting in scene two?
10. Where does Yank say is the sailor's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism does O'Neill uses in the play? Why is symbolism important to the play's meaning? Do the students think there can be too much symbolism in a piece? Do the students think there tends to be more symbolism in theatre than other arts? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the IWW and how influential have the IWW been in American society? What are O'Neill's views of the IWW? How does he express his views in the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)