|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of expression does the coal dust give the men?
2. What is the color of Mildred's clothes?
3. What does Paddy do while Yank delivers his speech?
4. What does Yank say he will do to Mildred?
5. What does Yank say he has forgotten?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the crowd act when they exit the church?
2. Why does Mildred say it is not important if she dirties her white dress?
3. How does Yank respond to Paddy's speech about being trapped?
4. Describe the setting in scene seven?
5. Why does Yank say he wants to join the union?
6. How does O'Neill express Mildred does not belong in the world downstairs?
7. How does Yank get himself arrested?
8. What is Rodin's The Thinker?
9. Describe the opening scene?
10. Why does Yank say he is jealous of the gorilla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the American government was against Communism? In what way did Communism go against American ideology?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)