|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ship is the Flying Dutchman?
2. In which city did Mildred work as a social worker?
3. What does Mildred say she has permission to visit?
4. What does the Yank hurl at the door when Mildred leaves?
5. What does Yank say all the engineers are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Wobblies?
2. How does Yank get the men working harder?
3. Why is Yank angry with Mildred?
4. What does Yank say he has been doing since his confrontation with the police officer?
5. How does the language used in the scene reflect the the natures of the characters?
6. What does Yank say he remembers about Mildred?
7. What does Long think is the only way workers can gain power?
8. Why is the secretary suspicious of Yank's behavior?
9. Descibe the setting in scene two?
10. What do Mildred and her aunt discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1942, William Bendix starred in a film version of the Hairy Ape. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 6 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between a play and a book in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against communism? What are O'Neill's opinions on communism? Do you agree or disagree with O'Neill?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)