|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the coal stick to the men?
(a) The hair.
(b) Their nails.
(c) Their ears.
(d) Their eyes.
2. What does Paddy say Mildred was dressed like when she came into the stokehole?
(a) A cherub.
(b) A white quane.
(c) A white swan.
(d) A heavenly angel.
3. What does Mildred see swirling against the sky?
(b) Black smoke.
(c) Grey smoke.
(d) Red clouds.
4. What does Yank tell Paddy he is as nutty as?
(a) A cuckoo.
(b) A monk.
(c) A bug.
(d) A nun.
5. What nationality does Yank say beer is for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mildred say age makes a person?
2. What does Yank say he will join?
3. Where does Paddy say Midred's father is making money?
4. What gives enough light to create shadows?
5. What does the author say the rivelets of sweat have traced on the mens' backs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Long remind Yank of his anger towards Mildred?
2. In what way do Mldred and her aunt depart on bad terms?
3. Why is the secretary suspicious of Yank's behavior?
4. Describe the opening scene?
5. What does Long think is the only way workers can gain power?
6. What is Long's opinion of what happened to Mildred in the engine room?
7. How does the author the compare exploitation of the working classes with Christianity?
8. Decribe the setting in scene eight.
9. What image does the author say he is trying to set?
10. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)