|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yank say is the ship's booze?
(a) The waves.
(d) The wind.
2. Which of Paddy's words do the men repeat?
3. What does the author say makes a teeth gritting sound?
(a) The opening of the furnace doors.
(b) The scrape of boots against the steel floor.
(c) The grind of steel against steel.
(d) The grunts of the men.
4. Who do most of the men smoke?
5. What does Yank say he will join?
(a) The monastry.
(b) The Salvation Army.
(c) The nunnery.
(d) St. John's Ambulance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ship is the Flying Dutchman?
2. What kind of pipe does Mildred say her grandmother smoked?
3. Who does Paddy sing whiskey is the life of?
4. Where does scene two take place?
5. What kind of weather does Yank tell Paddy he stands for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Long react when Yank's temper gets the better of him?
2. Why is Mildred's aunt against the idea of Mildred going down into the engine room?
3. Why does Yank suddenly become angry with Mildred's father?
4. Why are the working class resentful of the upperclass in the play?
5. What does Yank remember from his childhood?
6. How do the crowd react to Yank's anger?
7. Describe the setting in scene three.
8. In what way do the sailors sound like a mob when they speak?
9. How do the soldiers react to Long's revolutionary speech?
10. What is Yank's opinion of the union after they throw him out of the office?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)