|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a voice say will happen if people don't calm down?
(a) The guards will come down.
(b) The guards will put Yank into isolation.
(c) They will be given a longer sentence.
(d) The alarms will sound.
2. What does a voice advise Yank to join if he wants to get back at the girl?
(a) The Steel Workers.
(b) The army.
(c) The Wobblies.
(d) The navy.
3. Where did Yank wait for Mildred in Southampton?
(a) On the promenade deck.
(b) By the gangplank.
(c) In a church.
(d) In the dining hall.
4. Who do the voices think Yank was trying to get even with?
(a) His boss.
(b) His girl.
(c) His father.
(d) His workmate.
5. What does Yank compare prison to?
(a) A zoo.
(b) A ship.
(c) A coal mine.
(d) A soup kitchen.
6. What is Yank's real name?
(a) Fred Toms.
(b) Bob Smith.
(c) James Brown.
(d) Simon Barnes.
7. What does Long refer to Yank as when people start exiting the church?
(a) Hairy ape.
8. Where did Yank's father work?
(a) The Southampton waterfront.
(b) The Brooklyn waterfront.
(c) The Bristol waterfront.
(d) The San Francisco waterfront.
9. What does Yank try to pull up to use as a club?
(a) A church sign.
(b) A parking sign.
(c) A lamp-post.
(d) A flag pole.
10. What do most of the men smoke?
11. What does Yank say he wants to blow up?
(a) His ship.
(b) The Steel Trust factory.
(c) The IWW offices.
(d) The White House.
12. What does the fat gentleman yell at Yank?
13. What is one man in the office writing?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A story.
(c) A diary.
(d) A letter.
14. Why do the voices decide to let Yank rave?
(a) They can get rid of him.
(b) It is fun listening.
(c) It will send them to sleep.
(d) It will do him good.
15. What do the voices give Senator Queen?
(a) The whine.
(b) The jeer.
(c) The purr.
(d) The bark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game are two of the men in the office playing?
2. What does Long say will happen if Yank continues to be aggressive?
3. What do the voices say Douglas is filthy with?
4. What word do the prisoners use to refer to the prison officials?
5. Where does Yank say the girl belonged?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)