|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mildred study at university?
2. Where does scene three take place?
(a) The stokehole.
(b) The upper deck.
(c) The captain's cabin.
(d) The engine room.
3. Who turns Yank to stone?
(a) The second engineer.
(b) The fourth engineer.
4. What does Yank think Mildred called him?
(a) A Negro slave.
(b) A black knight.
(c) A filthy beast.
(d) A hairy ape.
5. How does Yank describe Mildred's hands?
(a) Wrinkly and old.
(b) White and skinny.
(c) Scabby and hard.
(d) Cracked and dirty.
6. What nationality does Yank say beer is for?
7. Where does the coal stick to the men?
(a) Their eyes.
(b) The hair.
(c) Their ears.
(d) Their nails.
8. What work does Mildred say sounds thrilling?
9. What does Mildred say age makes a person?
10. What kind of food does Mildred say her aunt reminds her of?
(a) Steak and kidney pie.
(b) A cold pork pudding.
(c) Biscuits and gravy.
(d) Bread dripping.
11. What does Paddy tell his crew he is never too drunk to do?
12. What is Yank's nickname for Paddy?
(a) Mr. Whiskey.
13. What color does Paddy say the ocean is?
14. What does Yank tell the men to pile the furnace with?
(a) The gourmet stuff.
(d) Anything that packs a punch.
15. What does Yank shout at the "Belfast bum" for doing?
(a) Talking too loudly.
(b) Doing nothing.
(c) Pulling on the whistle.
(d) Closing the furnace door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men use to throw open the furnace doors?
2. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
3. Where does Paddy say Midred's father is making money?
4. What is the color of Mildred's clothes?
5. What does Mildred see swirling against the sky?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)