|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yank say he will join?
(a) St. John's Ambulance.
(b) The monastry.
(c) The Salvation Army.
(d) The nunnery.
2. What do the men use to throw open the furnace doors?
(c) Pick axes.
(d) Crow bars.
3. What does Yank tell the men he is trying to do?
4. What does Yank shout at the "Belfast bum" for doing?
(a) Pulling on the whistle.
(b) Doing nothing.
(c) Talking too loudly.
(d) Closing the furnace door.
5. What does Mildred say age makes a person?
6. What quality does the author say the men give the word love?
(a) A dusty quality.
(b) A rusty quality.
(c) A metallic quality.
(d) A timeless quality.
7. What do the others respect about Yank?
(a) His superior strength.
(b) His gentleness.
(c) His superior intellect.
(d) His kindness.
8. What does Yank tell Paddy he is as nutty as?
(a) A cuckoo.
(b) A bug.
(c) A monk.
(d) A nun.
9. Who are the men staring at?
(a) The captain.
(d) The Yank.
10. What does Long say the engineers were exhibiting them like?
11. What does Mildred say she has permission to visit?
(a) The lower decks.
(b) The engine room.
(c) The captain's cabin.
(d) The stokehole.
12. What does Long call Mildred?
(a) A frigid cow.
(b) A patronising piebald.
(c) A bloody cow.
(d) A horse face.
13. How does Yank describe Mildred's hands?
(a) Wrinkly and old.
(b) Cracked and dirty.
(c) Scabby and hard.
(d) White and skinny.
14. What does Yank say he can breathe and swallow?
(a) Fossil fuels.
(b) Smoke fumes.
(c) Sea air.
(d) Coal dust.
15. What do the sailors say rhymes with drink?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the coal stick to the men?
2. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
3. What does Paddy tell his crew he is never too drunk to do?
4. What kind of pipe does Mildred say her grandmother smoked?
5. What does a voice say Yank has scared Mildred out of?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)