|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do most of the men smoke?
2. What does the author say makes a teeth gritting sound?
(a) The scrape of boots against the steel floor.
(b) The grind of steel against steel.
(c) The grunts of the men.
(d) The opening of the furnace doors.
3. What does Yank say is the ship's middle name?
4. Where does the coal stick to the men?
(a) The hair.
(b) Their ears.
(c) Their eyes.
(d) Their nails.
5. What is the color of Mildred's clothes?
6. How does Yank describe Mildred's hands?
(a) White and skinny.
(b) Wrinkly and old.
(c) Scabby and hard.
(d) Cracked and dirty.
7. What does Mildred say she will do with her dress if she gets it dirty?
(a) Throw it into the sea.
(b) Give to one of the workers.
(c) Use it for rags.
(d) Put it in the washing machine.
8. Who turns Yank to stone?
(a) The fourth engineer.
(d) The second engineer.
9. What does the author say the rivelets of sweat have traced on the mens' backs?
10. Which of Paddy's words do the men repeat?
11. In what country does Yank sing a lass waits for him?
12. What does Yank say Paddy is always doing?
13. What does Paddy say is wrong with Yank?
(a) He is seasick.
(b) He has fallen in love.
(c) He has the workman's blues.
(d) He is homesick.
14. What color does Paddy say the ocean is?
15. What does Yank say he could see through Mildred's hands?
(a) Her bones.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paddy say he wished Yank did to Mildred?
2. What do the men say Yank will get if he does not wash?
3. How does O'Neill describe Mildred's aunt?
4. What nationality does Yank say beer is for?
5. What does Yank say is the ship's booze?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)