|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yank's nickname for Paddy?
(a) Mr. Whiskey.
2. Who does Long say told him about Mildred?
(a) A steward.
(b) An engineer.
(c) The captain.
(d) A cabin boy.
3. What does Mildred say she will do with her dress if she gets it dirty?
(a) Put it in the washing machine.
(b) Use it for rags.
(c) Throw it into the sea.
(d) Give to one of the workers.
4. What does Mildred say age makes a person?
5. What does Yank tell the men to pile the furnace with?
(b) The gourmet stuff.
(d) Anything that packs a punch.
6. What does Yank say he will do to Mildred?
(a) Wipe off her smile.
(b) Tear her stomach open.
(c) Bust her face open.
(d) Rip the plum from her mouth.
7. What does Yank shout at the "Belfast bum" for doing?
(a) Doing nothing.
(b) Pulling on the whistle.
(c) Closing the furnace door.
(d) Talking too loudly.
8. What drink do the voices want Paddy to sing about?
9. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
10. What kind of metal does Yank say he is?
11. What does Yank say he could see through Mildred's hands?
(a) Her soul.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her face.
(d) Her bones.
12. What does the author say makes a teeth gritting sound?
(a) The grunts of the men.
(b) The scrape of boots against the steel floor.
(c) The grind of steel against steel.
(d) The opening of the furnace doors.
13. Where does the coal stick to the men?
(a) Their nails.
(b) Their ears.
(c) The hair.
(d) Their eyes.
14. What animal do the men say the dirt will make spot on Yank like?
(a) A dalmation.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A zebra.
(d) A cougar.
15. What does a voice say Yank has scared Mildred out of?
(a) A year' growth.
(b) Coming in to the stokers hole.
(c) Leaving her home.
(d) Talking to the working classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does O'Neill describe Mildred's aunt?
2. Who are the men staring at?
3. Who do most of the men smoke?
4. What does Paddy say ten doctors and nurses will be feeding Mildred?
5. Who turns Yank to stone?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)