|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the coal stick to the men?
(a) Their ears.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) The hair.
(d) Their nails.
2. Who do most of the men smoke?
3. What does the author compare the mens' throats to?
(b) Phonograph horns.
(c) Opera singers.
(d) Ship whistles.
4. What kind of metal does Yank say he is?
5. What quality does the author say the men give the word love?
(a) A dusty quality.
(b) A rusty quality.
(c) A timeless quality.
(d) A metallic quality.
6. What does Yank say he thought Mildred was?
(a) A worker.
(b) A manager.
(c) A ghost.
(d) An angel.
7. What does the author say makes a teeth gritting sound?
(a) The grind of steel against steel.
(b) The opening of the furnace doors.
(c) The grunts of the men.
(d) The scrape of boots against the steel floor.
8. What kind of ship is the Flying Dutchman?
(a) A pirate ship.
(b) A Spanish Armada.
(c) A fishing ship.
(d) A ghost ship.
9. Where does scene two take place?
(a) The promenade deck.
(b) The upper deck.
(c) The captain's cabin.
(d) The engine room.
10. What does Yank say all the engineers are?
(d) Big heads.
11. What does Paddy say is wrong with Yank?
(a) He has the workman's blues.
(b) He has fallen in love.
(c) He is homesick.
(d) He is seasick.
12. What do the men say Yank has forgotten to do?
(a) Pay their wages.
(b) Wash himself.
(c) Eat his dinner.
(d) Put on his shirt.
13. What gives enough light to create shadows?
(a) A candle.
(b) A light bulb.
(c) A gaslight.
(d) A flashlight.
14. What does Paddy say the engineer told Mildred they roast their workers in?
(a) Their own sweat.
(b) The flames of hell.
(c) The ship's anger.
(d) Her father's money.
15. What does Yank say is his favorite climate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yank say is the ship's booze?
2. What is the color of Mildred's clothes?
3. How does Yank pronounce the word think?
4. What did Mildred study at university?
5. What nationality does Yank say beer is for?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)