Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the rivelets of sweat have traced on the mens' backs?
2. What does Yank tell the men he is trying to do?
3. What does Paddy say the engineer was pointing at them like?
(a) A man in a circus.
(b) A spaceman on Mars.
(c) A professor in a musuem.
(d) A slavedriver on a plantation.
4. Who turns Yank to stone?
(a) The fourth engineer.
(b) The second engineer.
5. In which city did Mildred work as a social worker?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) New York.
6. What does Mildred see swirling against the sky?
(a) Grey smoke.
(c) Black smoke.
(d) Red clouds.
7. What does the author say makes a teeth gritting sound?
(a) The grind of steel against steel.
(b) The scrape of boots against the steel floor.
(c) The opening of the furnace doors.
(d) The grunts of the men.
8. Who does Long say told him about Mildred?
(a) An engineer.
(b) A cabin boy.
(c) A steward.
(d) The captain.
9. What are all the men in the fireman's forecastle dressed in?
(a) Boiler suits.
10. What does Long say Mildred's father has a enough gold to do?
(a) Sink the ship.
(b) Buy America.
(c) Buy them each a mansion.
(d) Sink the Titanic.
11. What does Long say the engineers were exhibiting them like?
12. What does the author compare the mens' throats to?
(b) Phonograph horns.
(c) Ship whistles.
(d) Opera singers.
13. What does Mildred call the second engineer when he leaves?
(a) An oaf.
(b) A ogre.
(c) A nut.
(d) A poser.
14. What does Yank think Mildred called him?
(a) A Negro slave.
(b) A hairy ape.
(c) A black knight.
(d) A filthy beast.
15. What do the men say Yank has forgotten to do?
(a) Eat his dinner.
(b) Wash himself.
(c) Put on his shirt.
(d) Pay their wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yank pronounce the word think?
2. What does the author say the bodies of the men shine with?
3. What does Mildred say age makes a person?
4. What does Long call Mildred?
5. Who does Paddy sing whiskey is the life of?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)