|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lord wants Gulliver to see the what that are built?
2. Gulliver sees Alexander the Great and finds out he died of what and had not been poisoned.
3. Who proposes that health and politics are intimately linked?
4. The last room of the academy is one for what?
5. Gulliver also calls up the ancestors of certain houses of nobility where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
2. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
3. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
4. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
5. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
6. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
7. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
8. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
9. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
10. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social status is addressed often in the book.
Part 1: Name at least one part of the book where social status plays a major role.
Part 2: Do you agree that different people should have a different status, simply because of things like religion, race or wealth? Why or why not?
Part 3: Social status is still a major part of modern society. Why do you think that is and what might be a good way for people to become less defined by social status?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)