|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these does Gulliver see?
2. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
3. Gulliver explains to the king that England has how many houses in its Parliament?
4. In one academy room, philosophers try to do what?
5. What does the eagle do with Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
3. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
4. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
5. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
6. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
7. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
8. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
9. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
10. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver is a doctor by profession, but an explorer at heart. Do you feel that most people take on professions that they enjoy, or do they get stuck in careers that they hate for most of their lives? Why did Gulliver become a doctor when he really wanted to be an explorer? What are some reasons that people in modern times do things that they'd rather not do.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)