|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people on the ground send up their petitions to be received on the floating island?
2. Gulliver finds that it is not a good life because although they never die, what happens?
3. Gulliver finds that the way the island floats is by what?
4. An eagle picks up Gulliver's box while he is where with the royals?
5. Gulliver also calls up the ancestors of certain houses of nobility where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
2. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
3. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
4. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
5. What are the people of Laputa like?
6. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
7. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
8. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
9. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
10. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Gulliver and the king of the giants. Does the king seem to care about Gulliver as a person, or just as a source of amusement. Use details from the story to back up your opinions.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)