Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver is let down onto the continent of what?
2. The king threatens Gulliver with the loss of his life if Gulliver tells anyone else about what?
3. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
4. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
5. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver and the king of giants have a long discussion about the government of England at the time. Swift makes it clear, through this discussion, that he has much distaste for the way things are run.
Part 1: Do you feel that modern governments have improved at all since Gulliver's times? Why or why not?
Part 2: If you were the ruler of a country, what sort of system of government would you want and why? Would you want a government like the one run by the giants? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)