|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last room of the academy is one for what?
2. What does the eagle do with Gulliver?
3. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
4. What does Gulliver make out of the beard stubble of the king?
5. The floating island can keep hovering over the lower island, blocking out the sun and what, according to Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the people of Laputa like?
2. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
4. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
5. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
6. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
7. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
8. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
9. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
10. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)