|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last room, Gulliver observes that the students are doing what to words written on paper?
2. What does the eagle do with Gulliver?
3. What item does Gulliver not ask to have brought out on the ship?
4. How soon after returning to England does Gulliver start out on his next voyage?
5. What does Gulliver find after 5 days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
2. What are the people of Laputa like?
3. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
4. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
5. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
7. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
8. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
9. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
10. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is a doctor by profession, but an explorer at heart. Do you feel that most people take on professions that they enjoy, or do they get stuck in careers that they hate for most of their lives? Why did Gulliver become a doctor when he really wanted to be an explorer? What are some reasons that people in modern times do things that they'd rather not do.
Essay Topic 2
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)