|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver is sent someone to help him with what?
2. Gulliver lodges where, rather than with the governor?
3. Gulliver is dismayed to see that even if they were alive again, many of these people would be what?
4. How does Gulliver feel about the way the king views Gulliver's country?
5. The people decided that everything could be done better with the help of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
2. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
3. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
4. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
6. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
7. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
8. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
9. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
10. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In writing about the Laputans, Swift takes an interesting stand on science, believing that, while it can be good, it can also consume people, if their theories aren't sound. Using examples from the book, as well as real life, explain, in detail, about whether or not you think science is a good thing or a bad thing and why.
Essay Topic 2
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)