|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon after returning to England does Gulliver start out on his next voyage?
2. The last room of the academy is one for what?
3. How do the people on the ground send up their petitions to be received on the floating island?
4. Gulliver is held prisoner until he can get orders for passage from the court and he is called before the what?
5. Gulliver is questioned by guards there and he lies and tells them that he is what, so he can get into Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. What are the people of Laputa like?
3. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
4. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
6. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
7. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
8. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
9. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
10. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the times that Gulliver finds himself lost at sea and describe it in detail. How is he separated from his ship? How does he find land, finally? What sort of place does he find when he gets there, what people does he meet and what happens to him?
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)