|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver is let down onto the continent of what?
2. The king threatens Gulliver with the loss of his life if Gulliver tells anyone else about what?
3. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
4. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
5. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
Essay Topic 1
In writing about the Laputans, Swift takes an interesting stand on science, believing that, while it can be good, it can also consume people, if their theories aren't sound. Using examples from the book, as well as real life, explain, in detail, about whether or not you think science is a good thing or a bad thing and why.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the people of Luggnagg are immortal. Have you ever wished to be immortal? After reading the book, have your thoughts on immortality changed at all? Explain, using examples from the book and real life, what your thoughts on immortality were before reading the book and what they are now.
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)