|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another section of the academy is full of people trying to do what regarding their language?
2. Gulliver is upset to find that in the past couple hundred years, humans have actually degenerated when it came to what?
3. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
4. How soon after returning to England does Gulliver start out on his next voyage?
5. The one law is that the king and his two elder sons may not do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
3. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
4. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
5. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
6. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
7. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
8. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
9. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
10. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the people of Luggnagg are immortal. Have you ever wished to be immortal? After reading the book, have your thoughts on immortality changed at all? Explain, using examples from the book and real life, what your thoughts on immortality were before reading the book and what they are now.
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)