|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver talks with other professors about things like taxing a person based on what?
2. Gulliver is questioned by guards there and he lies and tells them that he is what, so he can get into Japan?
3. Gulliver also calls up the ancestors of certain houses of nobility where?
4. Gulliver also likes the idea of taking political foes and exchanging half of each other's what?
5. At the port city, Gulliver is directed to go where until he can find passage to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
3. What are the people of Laputa like?
4. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
5. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
6. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
7. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
8. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
9. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
In writing about the Laputans, Swift takes an interesting stand on science, believing that, while it can be good, it can also consume people, if their theories aren't sound. Using examples from the book, as well as real life, explain, in detail, about whether or not you think science is a good thing or a bad thing and why.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)