|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it is found that Gulliver and the king cannot understand each other, Gulliver is taken where and given food?
2. When attacked by pirates, Gulliver talks to one of the pirates in what language?
3. Gulliver is questioned by guards there and he lies and tells them that he is what, so he can get into Japan?
4. Gulliver learns that the island is called what?
5. Gulliver talks with other professors about things like taxing a person based on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
2. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
3. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
4. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
5. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
6. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
7. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
8. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
9. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
10. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver's Travels is full of interesting things to think about and life lessons. Choose three things that you learned from the book that made you stop to think. Explain in detail why you were intrigued by those things and whether or not they ultimately changed your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the times that Gulliver finds himself lost at sea and describe it in detail. How is he separated from his ship? How does he find land, finally? What sort of place does he find when he gets there, what people does he meet and what happens to him?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)