|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver explains that there are some in the culture that are born with what color birthmark over their left eye?
2. Gulliver is let down onto the continent of what?
3. What happens to children with the birthmark?
4. What state is the continent in overall?
5. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
3. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
4. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
5. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
6. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
7. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
8. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
9. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
10. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Gulliver and the king of the giants. Does the king seem to care about Gulliver as a person, or just as a source of amusement. Use details from the story to back up your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
Essay Topic 3
The Liliputian emperor eventually turns against Gulliver and tries to have him punished for crimes that he did not commit.
1. Explain why Gulliver is accused of those crimes by the emperor and what punishment is decided upon. Also, what does Gulliver do in reaction to the emperors accusations.
In modern times are innocent people still found guilty of crimes often? Why or why not? Does it depend on the particular town or country where the crime is committed, for instance? Use examples to support your opinions.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)