|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gulliver find after 5 days?
2. What does the captain tell Gulliver has happened to the items Gulliver asks for?
3. In order to prove the English smart, what does Gulliver tell the king about?
4. Which of these does Gulliver see?
5. How long does Gulliver stay in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
2. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
3. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
4. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
5. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
6. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
7. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
8. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
9. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
10. What are the people of Laputa like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between Gulliver and the king of the giants. Does the king seem to care about Gulliver as a person, or just as a source of amusement. Use details from the story to back up your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)