|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver explains to the king that England has how many houses in its Parliament?
2. Gulliver also likes the idea of taking political foes and exchanging half of each other's what?
3. What item does Gulliver not ask to have brought out on the ship?
4. Gulliver talks with other professors about things like taxing a person based on what?
5. What is lowered to rescue Gulliver from the ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
2. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
3. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
4. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
5. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
6. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
7. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
8. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
9. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
10. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver and the king of giants have a long discussion about the government of England at the time. Swift makes it clear, through this discussion, that he has much distaste for the way things are run.
Part 1: Do you feel that modern governments have improved at all since Gulliver's times? Why or why not?
Part 2: If you were the ruler of a country, what sort of system of government would you want and why? Would you want a government like the one run by the giants? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Gulliver and the king of the giants. Does the king seem to care about Gulliver as a person, or just as a source of amusement. Use details from the story to back up your opinions.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)