|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to children with the birthmark?
2. Which of these does Gulliver see?
3. Gulliver describes the people as wearing clothes adorned with all of the following except what?
4. Gulliver is held prisoner until he can get orders for passage from the court and he is called before the what?
5. How does Gulliver say that he would feel if he never had to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
5. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
6. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
7. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
9. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
10. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)