|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the captain tell Gulliver has happened to the items Gulliver asks for?
2. Gulliver is sent someone to help him with what?
3. Most all of the titles were bought with some sort of what?
4. Gulliver feels neglected because everyone on the island is only interested in math and what?
5. Which of these does Gulliver see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
3. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
4. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
5. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
6. What are the people of Laputa like?
7. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
8. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
9. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver and the king of giants have a long discussion about the government of England at the time. Swift makes it clear, through this discussion, that he has much distaste for the way things are run.
Part 1: Do you feel that modern governments have improved at all since Gulliver's times? Why or why not?
Part 2: If you were the ruler of a country, what sort of system of government would you want and why? Would you want a government like the one run by the giants? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)