|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to children with the birthmark?
2. What item does Gulliver not ask to have brought out on the ship?
3. Gulliver also calls up the ancestors of certain houses of nobility where?
4. What does the eagle do with Gulliver?
5. At the port city, Gulliver is directed to go where until he can find passage to the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In writing about the Laputans, Swift takes an interesting stand on science, believing that, while it can be good, it can also consume people, if their theories aren't sound. Using examples from the book, as well as real life, explain, in detail, about whether or not you think science is a good thing or a bad thing and why.
Essay Topic 2
The Liliputian emperor eventually turns against Gulliver and tries to have him punished for crimes that he did not commit.
1. Explain why Gulliver is accused of those crimes by the emperor and what punishment is decided upon. Also, what does Gulliver do in reaction to the emperors accusations.
In modern times are innocent people still found guilty of crimes often? Why or why not? Does it depend on the particular town or country where the crime is committed, for instance? Use examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver and the king of giants have a long discussion about the government of England at the time. Swift makes it clear, through this discussion, that he has much distaste for the way things are run.
Part 1: Do you feel that modern governments have improved at all since Gulliver's times? Why or why not?
Part 2: If you were the ruler of a country, what sort of system of government would you want and why? Would you want a government like the one run by the giants? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)