|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the ship is ready to sail, where is it going?
2. In order to speak to the king, Gulliver has to crawl on his belly and do what to the floor?
3. The same doctor proposes that in order to cure the forgetfulness of many of these men, what should happen to them after a speech?
4. In one academy room, philosophers try to do what?
5. The island cannot go over how many miles high?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
2. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
3. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
4. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
5. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
6. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
8. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
9. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
10. What are the people of Laputa like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)