Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver is let down onto the continent of what?
2. The king threatens Gulliver with the loss of his life if Gulliver tells anyone else about what?
3. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
4. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
5. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
Essay Topic 1
The Liliputian emperor eventually turns against Gulliver and tries to have him punished for crimes that he did not commit.
1. Explain why Gulliver is accused of those crimes by the emperor and what punishment is decided upon. Also, what does Gulliver do in reaction to the emperors accusations.
In modern times are innocent people still found guilty of crimes often? Why or why not? Does it depend on the particular town or country where the crime is committed, for instance? Use examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)