|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last room of the academy is one for what?
2. Gulliver talks with other professors about things like taxing a person based on what?
3. Most all of the titles were bought with some sort of what?
4. What item does Gulliver not ask to have brought out on the ship?
5. Which of these does Gulliver see?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
2. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
3. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
5. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
6. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
7. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
8. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
9. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
10. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social status is addressed often in the book.
Part 1: Name at least one part of the book where social status plays a major role.
Part 2: Do you agree that different people should have a different status, simply because of things like religion, race or wealth? Why or why not?
Part 3: Social status is still a major part of modern society. Why do you think that is and what might be a good way for people to become less defined by social status?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)