|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
2. How long does Gulliver stay in the country?
3. The doctor theorizes that whenever the people are healed, then the politics and government will be what?
4. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
5. Gulliver stays for how many months in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
2. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
4. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
5. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
6. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
7. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
8. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
9. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
10. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)