|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver must agree, also, to be an ally against the people of what place?
2. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
3. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
4. Gulliver decides to seize the enemy's what?
5. Where does the farmer's wife let Gulliver sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
2. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
3. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
4. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
5. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
6. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
7. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
8. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
9. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
10. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
This section contains 2,182 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)