|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ambassadors come from Blefuscu, hoping to do what?
2. How long does the journey take?
3. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
4. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
5. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
4. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
6. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
7. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
8. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
9. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
10. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
Essay Topic 1
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)