|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he awakes, what kind of people surround Gulliver?
2. How long does Gulliver stay with his wife before setting sail again?
3. Gulliver makes up what sort of game?
4. One of the provisions of Gulliver's release is that he will not leave without what?
5. Which item did the Lilliputian guards not find on Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
2. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
4. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
5. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
6. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
7. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
8. How does Gulliver finally get back to England?
9. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
10. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)