|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Lilliputians do to people who are not honest?
2. Who becomes Gulliver's nurse?
3. Why does Gulliver have trouble seeing the inner palace?
4. Gulliver describes the dwarf shaking what from a tree and hitting Gulliver?
5. What is the last man that does not want Gulliver set free?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
2. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
3. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
4. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
6. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
7. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
8. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
9. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
10. How does Gulliver finally get back to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the people of Luggnagg are immortal. Have you ever wished to be immortal? After reading the book, have your thoughts on immortality changed at all? Explain, using examples from the book and real life, what your thoughts on immortality were before reading the book and what they are now.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver and the king of giants have a long discussion about the government of England at the time. Swift makes it clear, through this discussion, that he has much distaste for the way things are run.
Part 1: Do you feel that modern governments have improved at all since Gulliver's times? Why or why not?
Part 2: If you were the ruler of a country, what sort of system of government would you want and why? Would you want a government like the one run by the giants? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)