|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor do prior to Gulliver's sentencing?
2. Where does the farmer's wife let Gulliver sleep?
3. What strange item do the men find, a few days after Gulliver's game is played?
4. Gulliver decides to seize the enemy's what?
5. Gulliver helps the emperor's guards to search what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
3. Describe at least four of the provisions of Gulliver's release.
4. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
5. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
6. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
7. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
8. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
9. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the people of Luggnagg are immortal. Have you ever wished to be immortal? After reading the book, have your thoughts on immortality changed at all? Explain, using examples from the book and real life, what your thoughts on immortality were before reading the book and what they are now.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)