|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver gets lost while running where?
2. Who does Gulliver accidentally insult at the farmer's house?
3. Who becomes Gulliver's nurse?
4. Gulliver notes that hundreds of what sort of animal are kept by the royal family?
5. Gulliver learns that the war between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscians has to do with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
2. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
3. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
4. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
5. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
6. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
7. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
8. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
10. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how which of the Luggnagg people are immortal is determined, in detail. Also, what rules are the immortals subject to? What happens to them as they get older? Do you think the treatment that they receive is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver is a doctor by profession, but an explorer at heart. Do you feel that most people take on professions that they enjoy, or do they get stuck in careers that they hate for most of their lives? Why did Gulliver become a doctor when he really wanted to be an explorer? What are some reasons that people in modern times do things that they'd rather not do.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)