|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver describes the dwarf shaking what from a tree and hitting Gulliver?
2. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
3. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
4. What strange item do the men find, a few days after Gulliver's game is played?
5. Where does the farmer's wife let Gulliver sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
3. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
4. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
5. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
6. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
7. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
8. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
9. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
10. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Social status is addressed often in the book.
Part 1: Name at least one part of the book where social status plays a major role.
Part 2: Do you agree that different people should have a different status, simply because of things like religion, race or wealth? Why or why not?
Part 3: Social status is still a major part of modern society. Why do you think that is and what might be a good way for people to become less defined by social status?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)