|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item did the Lilliputian guards not find on Gulliver?
2. The king sends for how many scholars to examine Gulliver?
3. Gulliver says that what happened during a man's execution?
4. How do the men ensure that Gulliver will not escape, once he is in the temple?
5. Gulliver notes that hundreds of what sort of animal are kept by the royal family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
2. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
3. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
4. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
5. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
7. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
8. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
9. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
10. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Liliputian emperor eventually turns against Gulliver and tries to have him punished for crimes that he did not commit.
1. Explain why Gulliver is accused of those crimes by the emperor and what punishment is decided upon. Also, what does Gulliver do in reaction to the emperors accusations.
In modern times are innocent people still found guilty of crimes often? Why or why not? Does it depend on the particular town or country where the crime is committed, for instance? Use examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)