|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gulliver first try to tell the king, using hand gestures?
2. Who buys Gulliver from the farmer?
3. Why is Gulliver getting ill?
4. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
5. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
2. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
3. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
4. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
5. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
6. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
7. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
8. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
9. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
10. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)