|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
2. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
3. How long has Gulliver been on Blefuscu, when he sees something wash up on shore?
4. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
5. Which of the following is not a reason that Gulliver is being brought up on charges by the Lilliputians.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
2. Describe at least four of the provisions of Gulliver's release.
3. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
4. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
5. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
7. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
8. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
9. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
10. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In writing about the Laputans, Swift takes an interesting stand on science, believing that, while it can be good, it can also consume people, if their theories aren't sound. Using examples from the book, as well as real life, explain, in detail, about whether or not you think science is a good thing or a bad thing and why.
Essay Topic 2
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)