Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ambassadors come from Blefuscu, hoping to do what?
2. How long does the journey take?
3. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
4. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
5. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
4. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
6. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
7. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
8. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
9. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
10. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the people of Luggnagg are immortal. Have you ever wished to be immortal? After reading the book, have your thoughts on immortality changed at all? Explain, using examples from the book and real life, what your thoughts on immortality were before reading the book and what they are now.
Essay Topic 3
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)