|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver tells the emperor that he will never do what?
2. How does Gulliver prosper after returning to England?
3. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
4. Gulliver describes the dwarf shaking what from a tree and hitting Gulliver?
5. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
2. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
3. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
4. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
5. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
6. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
7. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
8. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
9. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
10. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In writing about the Laputans, Swift takes an interesting stand on science, believing that, while it can be good, it can also consume people, if their theories aren't sound. Using examples from the book, as well as real life, explain, in detail, about whether or not you think science is a good thing or a bad thing and why.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
Essay Topic 3
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)