|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gulliver's sword scare the guards?
2. Gulliver gets lost while running where?
3. Which item did the Lilliputian guards not find on Gulliver?
4. Who does Gulliver accidentally insult at the farmer's house?
5. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
2. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
3. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
4. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
6. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
7. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
8. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
9. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
10. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how which of the Luggnagg people are immortal is determined, in detail. Also, what rules are the immortals subject to? What happens to them as they get older? Do you think the treatment that they receive is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)