Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ambassadors come from Blefuscu, hoping to do what?
2. How long does the journey take?
3. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
4. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
5. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
4. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
6. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
7. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
8. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
9. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
10. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how which of the Luggnagg people are immortal is determined, in detail. Also, what rules are the immortals subject to? What happens to them as they get older? Do you think the treatment that they receive is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the times that Gulliver finds himself lost at sea and describe it in detail. How is he separated from his ship? How does he find land, finally? What sort of place does he find when he gets there, what people does he meet and what happens to him?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)