|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to cause Gulliver to abandon ship during his first voyage after the second time his practice failed?
2. How old is the farmer's daughter?
3. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
4. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
5. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver finally get back to England?
2. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
3. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
5. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
6. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
7. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
8. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
9. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
10. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
The Liliputian emperor eventually turns against Gulliver and tries to have him punished for crimes that he did not commit.
1. Explain why Gulliver is accused of those crimes by the emperor and what punishment is decided upon. Also, what does Gulliver do in reaction to the emperors accusations.
In modern times are innocent people still found guilty of crimes often? Why or why not? Does it depend on the particular town or country where the crime is committed, for instance? Use examples to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)