|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One young man is beaten and thrown out because he tries to shoot what at Gulliver's head?
2. What is the name of the captain of the ship Gulliver is on?
3. Gulliver describes his adventures with what kind of creature that is jealous of him?
4. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
5. During Gulliver's game, Gulliver saves a man and a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
2. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
3. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
4. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
5. How does Gulliver finally get back to England?
6. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
7. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
8. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
9. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
10. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Swift uses the Laputans to poke fun at modern science and say that experiments are time consuming and costly and, often, fail completely. Do you think that scientific studies are worth the money and time invested, over all? If so, list examples of modern scientific advances that you think have been beneficial and why. If not, list scientific flops that you think have wasted or are wasting money and why.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)