|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver says that what happened during a man's execution?
2. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
3. Why does the farmer decide to make Gulliver work hard after Gulliver gets ill?
4. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
5. Gulliver gets lost while running where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
3. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. What are the people of Laputa like?
6. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
7. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
8. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
9. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
10. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver's encounter with the pirates is interesting. It brings up questions of ethics.
Part 1: Explain, in detail, Gulliver's encounter with the pirates and his discovery of Laputa.
Part 2: How does modern piracy of things, such as computer software, compare and contrast to the piracy that Gulliver encountered.
Part 3: Is modern software piracy really any different from piracy in Gulliver's times? Do people justify modern piracy? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
This section contains 2,416 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)