|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
2. What does the emperor of Blefuscu decide to do when he finds out about the articles against Gulliver?
3. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
4. How are the commoners punished for shooting arrows at Gulliver?
5. The people that can do what are picked for the best jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
2. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
3. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
5. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
6. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
7. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
8. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
9. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
10. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 2
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the times that Gulliver finds himself lost at sea and describe it in detail. How is he separated from his ship? How does he find land, finally? What sort of place does he find when he gets there, what people does he meet and what happens to him?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)