|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer's daughter think Gulliver is?
2. Gulliver learns that the war between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscians has to do with what?
3. Who does Gulliver accidentally insult at the farmer's house?
4. How do the Lilliputians bury their dead?
5. What does Gulliver see washing towards the shore, after he is with the Bleuscians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
2. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
4. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
5. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
6. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
7. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
8. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
9. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
10. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 3
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)