|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor of Blefuscu decide to do when he finds out about the articles against Gulliver?
2. What does Gulliver set sail with?
3. Gulliver makes up what sort of game?
4. A couple days after Gulliver's game is played, some men find a strange object where?
5. Who becomes Gulliver's nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
2. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
3. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
4. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
5. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
6. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
7. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
8. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
9. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
10. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Of all of the places that Gulliver visits in his travels, which one do you feel is most run like a conventional modern society and why? Use examples from the book and real life to support your answer. Also, do you feel like being like a conventional society is a good thing, or do you think that some of the other places that Gulliver traveled to were run better? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 3
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)