|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
2. Gulliver describes his adventures with what kind of creature that is jealous of him?
3. What sort of dance does Gulliver go on to explain that the Lilliputians do?
4. Who teaches Gulliver the language of the giants?
5. The king sends for how many scholars to examine Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
2. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
3. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
4. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
5. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
6. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
7. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
8. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
10. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the times that Gulliver finds himself lost at sea and describe it in detail. How is he separated from his ship? How does he find land, finally? What sort of place does he find when he gets there, what people does he meet and what happens to him?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)