|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
2. Gulliver is once captured by what sort of animal?
3. Another provision states that Gulliver cannot come within the city limits without how much warning?
4. How does Gulliver's sword scare the guards?
5. What are the two factions in Lilliput called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
2. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
3. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
4. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
5. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
6. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
7. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
8. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
9. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
10. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the times that Gulliver finds himself lost at sea and describe it in detail. How is he separated from his ship? How does he find land, finally? What sort of place does he find when he gets there, what people does he meet and what happens to him?
Essay Topic 3
The Lilliputian government officials are determined in a very unusual way through a rope dance.
Part 1. Explain how the rope dance works.
Part 2. Do you feel that the rope dance is a good way to elect officials? Why or why not?
Part 3. What point do you feel that the author, Jonathan Swift, is trying to make about the way that governments are run, by writing about the rope dance?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)