|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some ambassadors come from Blefuscu, hoping to do what?
2. Gulliver describes the dwarf shaking what from a tree and hitting Gulliver?
3. Which of the following is not a reason that Gulliver is being brought up on charges by the Lilliputians.
4. Where do many people come to see Gulliver, once the farmer takes him to town?
5. What is the name of the captain of the ship Gulliver is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
2. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
3. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
4. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
5. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
6. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
8. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
9. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
10. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is given many conditions that he must agree to in order to roam freely in the Liliputian land.
Part 1: Describe in detail all of the conditions set by the Liliputians for Gulliver's release.
Part 2: Explain the motivations behind each of the conditions, in detail. Why do the Liliputians want Gulliver to adhere to each condition?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between Gulliver and the king of the giants. Does the king seem to care about Gulliver as a person, or just as a source of amusement. Use details from the story to back up your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
When Gulliver arrives at Glubbdubdribb the magicians in charge allow him to call up the spirits of any dead people that he wants.
Part 1: Who does Gulliver call up and what does he has them about.
Part 2: Were you at all surprised by Gulliver's choices of people to call up? Why or why not?
Part 3: What famous figure would you call up if you could, and why?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)