|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer's daughter think Gulliver is?
2. When he awakes, what kind of people surround Gulliver?
3. What is the name of the captain of the ship Gulliver is on?
4. Out of concern for losing an eye, Gulliver does what, while swimming away from the enemy?
5. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
2. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
3. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
4. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
5. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
6. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
7. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
8. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
10. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gulliver is clearly an explorer at heart, even though he is a doctor by profession. Do you feel that it was appropriate for him to keep going on voyages, even though he kept leaving his family and just barely avoiding death when he did? If you were Gulliver, would you have given up traveling? If so, why and when would you have decided to stay home? Use details from the story to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the law about choosing people to work in the Liliputian government is written and how the emperor seems to ignore that law. Do modern community, nation and world leaders act the same way about appointing staff, still? Use modern examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, using details from the story, the difference between how Gulliver is treated by the farmer when they first meet and how Gulliver is treated by the farmer towards the end of the time that Gulliver is in the farmer's possession. Also, have you ever been the victim of someone who treated you one way to begin with and completely differently later on? If so, explain. If not, have you ever treated someone else one way at first and differently later on? If so, why?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)