|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver estimated that about how many people lived in the inner city?
2. What does Gulliver first try to tell the king, using hand gestures?
3. Gulliver learns that the war between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscians has to do with what?
4. Where do many people come to see Gulliver, once the farmer takes him to town?
5. What is the last man that does not want Gulliver set free?
Short Essay Questions
1. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
2. How does Gulliver finally get back to England?
3. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
4. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
5. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
6. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
7. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
8. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
9. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
10. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Social status is addressed often in the book.
Part 1: Name at least one part of the book where social status plays a major role.
Part 2: Do you agree that different people should have a different status, simply because of things like religion, race or wealth? Why or why not?
Part 3: Social status is still a major part of modern society. Why do you think that is and what might be a good way for people to become less defined by social status?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the reasons why the Liliputians and Blefuscians do not get along. How did the two groups become separated? Also, are there disagreements between groups of people over similar topics in the modern era? If you don't believe so, explain why. If you do believe so, list some examples and explain whether you agree or disagree with them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Gulliver and the king of the giants. Does the king seem to care about Gulliver as a person, or just as a source of amusement. Use details from the story to back up your opinions.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)