|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
(a) House of Equals
(b) House of Peons
(c) House of Peers
(d) House of Friends
2. Gulliver sees Alexander the Great and finds out he died of what and had not been poisoned.
(b) stab wound
(d) gun shot
3. Gulliver leaves the governor and returns when?
(a) when Gulliver becomes ill and needs help
(b) when the governor calls
(c) when the governor is attacked
(d) when the ship is ready to sail
4. Gulliver feels neglected because everyone on the island is only interested in math and what?
5. Who argues that a senator should have to vote directly contrary to what he says in his speech, because then that will be what is best for the people.
(a) the king
(b) the doctor
(d) the lord
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver is introduced to the king who is hard at work on a problem that involves what?
2. How long is it between the time that Gulliver escapes and the time that he returns to England?
3. Gulliver describes the people as wearing clothes adorned with all of the following except what?
4. What does the eagle do with Gulliver?
5. In order to speak to the king, Gulliver has to crawl on his belly and do what to the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
2. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
3. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
4. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
5. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
6. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
7. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
8. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
9. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
10. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)