|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
2. When attacked by pirates, Gulliver talks to one of the pirates in what language?
3. In order to speak to the king, Gulliver has to crawl on his belly and do what to the floor?
(a) wash it
(b) paint it
(c) lick it
(d) polish it
4. Gulliver wonders how this king had come to think of _________________ if he did not have any enemies.
(a) booby traps aroung the castle
(b) royal guards
(d) an army
5. Gulliver learns that the island is called what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Gulliver not ask to have brought out on the ship?
2. The people exceed Europe in what area?
3. When it is found that Gulliver and the king cannot understand each other, Gulliver is taken where and given food?
4. Gulliver describes the people as wearing clothes adorned with all of the following except what?
5. The floating island can keep hovering over the lower island, blocking out the sun and what, according to Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
3. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
4. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
5. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
6. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
7. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
8. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
9. What are the people of Laputa like?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)