|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver learns that the island is called what?
2. Gulliver sees Alexander the Great and finds out he died of what and had not been poisoned.
(b) stab wound
(c) gun shot
3. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
4. This island has magicians and sorcerers on it and the main power on the island is that of a family of magicians who use what as servants?
(a) living magic hats
(c) the dead
5. What does Gulliver find after 5 days?
(a) a city under water
(b) a talking whale
(c) an island in the sky
(d) a mountain in the sky
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to speak to the king, Gulliver has to crawl on his belly and do what to the floor?
2. Gulliver wonders how this king had come to think of _________________ if he did not have any enemies.
3. The doctor theorizes that whenever the people are healed, then the politics and government will be what?
4. How do the people on the ground send up their petitions to be received on the floating island?
5. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
2. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
3. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
4. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
5. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
7. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
8. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
9. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
10. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)