|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
(a) House of Commons
(b) House of Commonwealth
(c) House of Commoncause
(d) House of Commoners
2. How long does Gulliver stay in the country?
(a) four years
(b) three years
(c) five years
(d) two years
3. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
4. Which of these does Gulliver see?
5. The people decided that everything could be done better with the help of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctor theorizes that whenever the people are healed, then the politics and government will be what?
2. Why does Gulliver go back to see?
3. Gulliver sees Alexander the Great and finds out he died of what and had not been poisoned.
4. When attacked by pirates, Gulliver talks to one of the pirates in what language?
5. Gulliver also calls up the ancestors of certain houses of nobility where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
2. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
3. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
4. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
5. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
6. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
7. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
8. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
9. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
10. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)