|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver lodges where, rather than with the governor?
(a) the capital city
(b) a farmer's barn
(c) a college dormitory
(d) in the servants' quarters
2. Which of these does Gulliver see?
3. When the ship is ready to sail, where is it going?
4. The floating island can keep hovering over the lower island, blocking out the sun and what, according to Gulliver?
5. When Gulliver tells the king about the treasury of England, what is the king's reaction?
(a) The king is amazed that England is making mroe than they are spending.
(b) The king is confused because England is spending more than they are making.
(c) The king is shocked that England can balance their budget perfectly.
(d) The king suggests that Gulliver go back to England and tell them to run the treasury the way the giants run theirs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose hair does Gulliver use to design seats and purses?
2. Gulliver is dismayed to see that even if they were alive again, many of these people would be what?
3. Another section of the academy is full of people trying to do what regarding their language?
4. Gulliver is questioned by guards there and he lies and tells them that he is what, so he can get into Japan?
5. At the port city, Gulliver is directed to go where until he can find passage to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does Swift seem to be making in Part 2, Chapter 6 and how does he use the king to make it?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
4. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
5. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
6. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
7. What are the people of Laputa like?
8. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
9. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
10. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)