|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The lord wants Gulliver to see the what that are built?
2. Gulliver sees Alexander the Great and finds out he died of what and had not been poisoned.
(a) gun shot
(b) stab wound
3. What is lowered to rescue Gulliver from the ocean?
(a) a rope
(b) a chain
(c) a boat
(d) a ladder
4. Gulliver makes it clear that he thinks the king is what?
5. It is believed that it is hard enough to live forever without having to live how?
(a) young forever
(b) old forever
(c) with someone else forever
(d) alone forever
Short Answer Questions
1. In one of the academy rooms, the pupils sit for six hours a day doing what?
2. What happens to children with the birthmark?
3. Gulliver hopes to sail where from the island?
4. In order to prove the English smart, what does Gulliver tell the king about?
5. Gulliver leaves the governor and returns when?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
2. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
3. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
4. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
5. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
6. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
7. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
9. What are the people of Laputa like?
10. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)