|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver hopes to sail where from the island?
2. Gulliver is let down onto the continent of what?
3. When Gulliver tells the king about the treasury of England, what is the king's reaction?
(a) The king is confused because England is spending more than they are making.
(b) The king suggests that Gulliver go back to England and tell them to run the treasury the way the giants run theirs.
(c) The king is amazed that England is making mroe than they are spending.
(d) The king is shocked that England can balance their budget perfectly.
4. Gulliver finds that the way the island floats is by what?
(b) air jets
(d) suspended by flying machines
5. In one of the academy rooms, the pupils sit for six hours a day doing what?
(a) drawing pictures
(b) writing essays
(c) staring out the windows
(d) reading aloud
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver is dismayed to see that even if they were alive again, many of these people would be what?
2. Who proposes that health and politics are intimately linked?
3. What does Gulliver find after 5 days?
4. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
5. Gulliver is upset to find that in the past couple hundred years, humans have actually degenerated when it came to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
2. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
4. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
5. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
6. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
7. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
8. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
9. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
10. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)