|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver is upset to find that in the past couple hundred years, humans have actually degenerated when it came to what?
(a) looking out for each other
(b) advancing technology
(c) taking care of themselves
(d) making good decisions
2. When an immortal marries, it is annulled when the younger partner reaches what age?
3. Gulliver wonders how this king had come to think of _________________ if he did not have any enemies.
(b) booby traps aroung the castle
(c) an army
(d) royal guards
4. What does the captain tell Gulliver has happened to the items Gulliver asks for?
(a) They fell overboard.
(b) They were left on the island.
(c) They are locked below decks.
(d) They have been destroyed.
5. What happens to children with the birthmark?
(a) they are killed immediately
(b) they are immortal
(c) they are raised royal
(d) they are raised as slaces
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these does Gulliver see?
2. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
3. When attacked by pirates, Gulliver talks to one of the pirates in what language?
4. Gulliver talks with other professors about things like taxing a person based on what?
5. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
4. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
5. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
6. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
7. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
8. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
10. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)