|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An eagle picks up Gulliver's box while he is where with the royals?
(a) the mountains
(b) the forest
(c) the city
(d) the coast
2. Who proposes that health and politics are intimately linked?
(a) a doctor
(b) the king
(c) the queen
3. How soon after returning to England does Gulliver start out on his next voyage?
(a) two weeks
(b) four months
(c) six months
(d) two months
4. Gulliver is questioned by guards there and he lies and tells them that he is what, so he can get into Japan?
5. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
Short Answer Questions
1. This island has magicians and sorcerers on it and the main power on the island is that of a family of magicians who use what as servants?
2. Whose hair does Gulliver use to design seats and purses?
3. The king threatens Gulliver with the loss of his life if Gulliver tells anyone else about what?
4. In one of the academy rooms, the pupils sit for six hours a day doing what?
5. Gulliver is introduced to the king who is hard at work on a problem that involves what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
2. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
3. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
4. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
5. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
6. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
7. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
8. What do Gulliver's choices of people to call back from the dead say about his motivations?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
10. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)