|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver learns that the island is called what?
2. How do the people on the ground send up their petitions to be received on the floating island?
(a) by balloon
(b) by blowing bubbles
(c) by shooting arrows
(d) by kite
3. How does Gulliver feel about the way the king views Gulliver's country?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is insulted.
(d) He doesn't care.
4. When an immortal marries, it is annulled when the younger partner reaches what age?
5. Which of these does Gulliver see?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it between the time that Gulliver escapes and the time that he returns to England?
2. An eagle picks up Gulliver's box while he is where with the royals?
3. Gulliver is questioned by guards there and he lies and tells them that he is what, so he can get into Japan?
4. Which of these does Gulliver see?
5. When Gulliver tells the king about the treasury of England, what is the king's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
2. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
4. What are the people of Laputa like?
5. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
6. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
7. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
8. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
10. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)