|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the magnet is parallel to the horizon, the island does what?
(a) moves left
(d) stands still
2. When attacked by pirates, Gulliver talks to one of the pirates in what language?
3. How long does Gulliver stay in the country?
(a) four years
(b) five years
(c) two years
(d) three years
4. The doctor theorizes that whenever the people are healed, then the politics and government will be what?
5. Gulliver learns that the island is called what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last room, Gulliver observes that the students are doing what to words written on paper?
2. The last room of the academy is one for what?
3. Most all of the titles were bought with some sort of what?
4. Gulliver is upset to find that in the past couple hundred years, humans have actually degenerated when it came to what?
5. Whose hair does Gulliver use to design seats and purses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
2. Much of Part 3, Chapter 6, talks about Gulliver's encounter with a doctor who is full of ideas. One idea is that in order to cure the woes of the government, the people in the government must be seen to and whenever the people are healed, the politics and government will be healed. Gulliver thinks that that is a valid idea. Do you think that it was? Why or why not? Is such an idea still applicable in today's society?
3. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
4. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
5. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
6. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
7. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
8. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
9. Customs of different people are a big part of the book. What custom must Gulliver follow in Part 3, Chapter 9 and how, in general, does Gulliver deal with the customs of people he encounters?
10. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)