|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gulliver make out of the beard stubble of the king?
(a) a tooth brush
(b) a hair brush
(c) a comb
(d) a scrub brush
2. Who proposes that health and politics are intimately linked?
(a) the queen
(b) the king
(c) a doctor
3. This island has magicians and sorcerers on it and the main power on the island is that of a family of magicians who use what as servants?
(a) the dead
(c) living magic hats
4. At the port city, Gulliver is directed to go where until he can find passage to the island?
5. The king threatens Gulliver with the loss of his life if Gulliver tells anyone else about what?
(b) British parliament houses
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver feels neglected because everyone on the island is only interested in math and what?
2. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
3. Gulliver is sent someone to help him with what?
4. Gulliver explains to the king that England has how many houses in its Parliament?
5. An eagle picks up Gulliver's box while he is where with the royals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
2. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
3. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
4. What are the people of Laputa like?
5. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
6. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
7. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
8. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
9. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
10. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)