|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The king threatens Gulliver with the loss of his life if Gulliver tells anyone else about what?
(b) British parliament houses
2. Gulliver wonders how this king had come to think of _________________ if he did not have any enemies.
(b) royal guards
(c) an army
(d) booby traps aroung the castle
3. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
4. The one law is that the king and his two elder sons may not do what?
(a) leave the island
(c) hold regular jobs
(d) hold jobs in other public offices
5. The people exceed Europe in what area?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
2. How does Gulliver feel about the way the king views Gulliver's country?
3. Gulliver is let down onto the continent of what?
4. When the magnet is parallel to the horizon, the island does what?
5. It is believed that it is hard enough to live forever without having to live how?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
2. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
3. What lesson does Swift try to teach about life and death, in Part 3, Chapter 10?
4. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
5. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
6. What does Gulliver find after sailing from island to island for five days, in Part 3, Chapter 1 and what happens as a result?
7. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
8. What happens to Gulliver, once he reaches Luggnagg?
9. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
10. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)