|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The same doctor proposes that in order to cure the forgetfulness of many of these men, what should happen to them after a speech?
(a) They should receive an award.
(b) They should be paid.
(c) They should keep a written copy of the speech.
(d) They should be hurt.
2. The floating island can keep hovering over the lower island, blocking out the sun and what, according to Gulliver?
3. How long does Gulliver stay in the country?
(a) two years
(b) five years
(c) four years
(d) three years
4. What item does Gulliver not ask to have brought out on the ship?
5. Gulliver is upset to find that in the past couple hundred years, humans have actually degenerated when it came to what?
(a) taking care of themselves
(b) making good decisions
(c) advancing technology
(d) looking out for each other
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
2. Gulliver is introduced to the king who is hard at work on a problem that involves what?
3. Gulliver is sent someone to help him with what?
4. The people had tried to do away with the language altogether, but the illiterate and whom were in an uproar?
5. The last room of the academy is one for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
2. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
3. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
4. How does the king of the floating island rule the people on the island below?
5. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
7. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
8. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 5, how is Gulliver further introduced to the ideas and beliefs of the Laputians?
10. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)