|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which item did the Lilliputian guards find, when they searched Gulliver?
(a) a portrait of Gulliver's wife
(b) a razor
(c) a telescope
2. Gulliver describes the inner city as a collection of houses at least how many stories high?
3. What item of Gulliver's do the Lilliputians think is an oracle?
(a) his watch
(b) his sword
(c) his handkerchief
(d) his pocketknife
4. When does the emperor have shows put on for Gulliver?
(a) when Gulliver understands the language better
(b) when Gulliver complains tot he emperor about his boredom
(c) when the performers meet Gulliver and trust him
(d) after Gulliver saves the emperor's life
5. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
(b) from right to left
(c) upside down
Short Answer Questions
1. Which item did Gulliver hide from the Lilliputian guards?
2. Why does the farmer decide to make Gulliver work hard after Gulliver gets ill?
3. How do the men ensure that Gulliver will not escape, once he is in the temple?
4. Another provision states that Gulliver cannot come within the city limits without how much warning?
5. Gulliver gets lost while running where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
2. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
3. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
4. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
6. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
7. When the king asks Gulliver to tell him about England, what are some of the things that Gulliver tells him?
8. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
9. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
10. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)