|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
(a) about 3 weeks
(b) about 3 years
(c) They learn his language. He does not learn theirs.
(d) about 3 months
2. Gulliver tells of seeing beggars with giant what?
3. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
(a) the pocketknife
(b) the razor
(c) the sword
(d) the telescope
4. Gulliver decides to seize the enemy's what?
5. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
Short Answer Questions
1. When he awakes, what kind of people surround Gulliver?
2. What does Gulliver first try to tell the king, using hand gestures?
3. Who came to see Gulliver, after he was rescued from the animal?
4. Who pays Gulliver a visit, a month after Gulliver is freed?
5. Why does Gulliver say that he finally left the kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
2. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
3. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
4. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
5. Describe at least four of the provisions of Gulliver's release.
6. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
7. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
8. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
9. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)