|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver describes the inner city as a collection of houses at least how many stories high?
2. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
3. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
(a) around 90
(b) around 70
(c) around 50
(d) around 30
4. Gulliver gets lost while running where?
(a) corn field
5. One young man is beaten and thrown out because he tries to shoot what at Gulliver's head?
(a) a nut
(b) a gun
(c) an arrow
(d) a rock
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Gulliver stay with his wife before setting sail again?
2. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
3. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
4. When the men go onto an island to find water, Gulliver becomes separated from them and then sees them rowing back to the boat with what following them?
5. Which item did the Lilliputian guards find, when they searched Gulliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
2. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
3. Describe at least four of the provisions of Gulliver's release.
4. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
5. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
6. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
7. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
8. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
10. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)