|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
2. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
(a) from right to left
(b) upside down
3. Where do many people come to see Gulliver, once the farmer takes him to town?
(a) at an inn
(b) in a park
(c) at the palace
(d) at thef armer's friend's house
4. Gulliver tells of seeing beggars with giant what?
5. Who buys Gulliver from the farmer?
(a) a lawyer
(b) a doctor
(c) the king
(d) the queen
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the farmer's daughter?
2. What does Gulliver set sail with?
3. Who teaches Gulliver the language of the giants?
4. Gulliver estimated that about how many people lived in the inner city?
5. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
2. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
3. How does Laputa stay in the air and do you think that such an island really could exist by using modern technology?
4. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
5. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
6. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
7. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
8. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
9. Describe Gulliver's encounter with the pirates.
10. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)