|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the captain of the ship Gulliver is on?
(a) Nicholas John
(b) John Nicholas
(c) James Nicholas
(d) Nicholas James
2. Which item did the Lilliputian guards find, when they searched Gulliver?
(a) a razor
(c) a telescope
(d) a portrait of Gulliver's wife
3. When the men go onto an island to find water, Gulliver becomes separated from them and then sees them rowing back to the boat with what following them?
(a) a giant
(b) a dolphin
(c) a shark
4. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
(a) from right to left
(d) upside down
5. Gulliver explains that he loves the kitchen and has done what, since getting to the palace?
(a) learned to cook from the farmer's daughter, when the chef had gone to bed
(b) taught the chef to make English dishes
(c) gained weight
(d) learned to cook some of the queen's favorites from the chef
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
2. Which item did Gulliver hide from the Lilliputian guards?
3. The Lilliputians think that fraud is worse than what offense?
4. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
5. Who does Gulliver accidentally insult at the farmer's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
2. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
3. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
4. Instead of sending Gulliver back to Lilliput, what does the emperor of Blefuscu do?
5. Explain how the people treat Gulliver, the longer he stays their captive.
6. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
7. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
8. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
9. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
10. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)