Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some ambassadors come from Blefuscu, hoping to do what?
(a) get their ships back
(b) make a peace treaty
(c) get the emperor's help to cure an illness that is killing many people
(d) get the emperor to agree to come to Blefescu and visit
2. How long does the journey take?
(a) three days
(b) all day and all night
(c) eight days
(d) five days
3. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
(a) around 90
(b) around 70
(c) around 30
(d) around 50
4. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
(a) Most people spend six months on one island and then six months on the other.
(b) Most people have relatives on each island
(c) Most people know both languages
(d) Most people have houses on each island
5. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
Short Answer Questions
1. The people that can do what are picked for the best jobs?
2. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
3. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
4. When Gulliver gets his hand free from his bonds, what do the men do?
5. What is the name of the captain of the ship Gulliver is on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the king's cousin, who befriends Gulliver, considered an outcast and do you think that it is fair? Why or why not?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
4. Describe the ship captain's attitude toward Gulliver, after hearing his incredible story. How does Gulliver react to the captain's attitude?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, Swift again makes his views of the British government known. What are those views, how does he express them and do they still apply to modern governments?
6. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
7. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
8. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
9. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
10. What happens to Gulliver in Glubbdubdribb?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)