|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gulliver say that he finally left the kingdom?
(a) He wanted to explore other places.
(b) He took a short boat ride and became hopelessly lost.
(c) He was homesick.
(d) He learned of a plot against him.
2. How are the commoners punished for shooting arrows at Gulliver?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They are pushed within Gulliver's range.
(c) They are banished.
(d) They are put in jail.
3. Gulliver describes the inner city as a collection of houses at least how many stories high?
4. Gulliver learns that the war between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscians has to do with what?
(a) religious beliefs
(c) a long-standing family feud
(d) stolen land
5. Gulliver tells of seeing beggars with giant what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange item do the men find, a few days after Gulliver's game is played?
2. How does Gulliver's sword scare the guards?
3. Gulliver estimated that about how many people lived in the inner city?
4. Which of the following is not a reason that Gulliver is being brought up on charges by the Lilliputians.
5. What item of Gulliver's do the Lilliputians think is an oracle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
2. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
4. What condition does Gulliver find most of the people in, when he goes down to the lower island, and why is he told that they are that way? What implications does that have?
5. In what ways do Gulliver and the king disagree about the concept of war in Part 2, Chapter 7?
6. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
7. What other figures does Gulliver call back from the dead, in Part 3, Chapter 8 and why? What else does he learn from them?
8. What are the people of Laputa like?
9. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
10. What lessons can be learned from the people of Laputa?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)