|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the garden, Gulliver was once carried off by what color spaniel?
2. Gulliver also has to help deliver what?
(c) fire wood
3. How did Gulliver hide things from the Lilliputian guards?
(a) in a secret pocket
(b) in his mouth
(c) in a hole in the ground
(d) under a bed
4. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
(a) about 3 months
(b) about 3 weeks
(c) They learn his language. He does not learn theirs.
(d) about 3 years
5. At first, the emperor wants to destroy the enemy fleet and, therefore subject the people to be governed by what?
(b) a viceroy
(c) a queen
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many people come to see Gulliver, once the farmer takes him to town?
2. Gulliver must agree, also, to be an ally against the people of what place?
3. Another provision states that Gulliver cannot come within the city limits without how much warning?
4. After his dingy is overturned and Gulliver swims to shore, what does he do?
5. What happens to cause Gulliver to abandon ship during his first voyage after the second time his practice failed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
2. Explain how Gulliver tries to prove to the king that the people of England are smart.
3. How does Gulliver finally leave the island in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. What lessons does Swift try to teach about heroes through Gulliver?
5. Explain how it is decided whether Gulliver will be killed or not.
6. What identifies the immortals in the culture, in Part 3, Chapter 10, and what sorts of things must these immortals endure?
7. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
8. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
9. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
10. What do you think Swift's ideas about modern science are, based on Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)