|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
(a) around 50
(b) around 70
(c) around 30
(d) around 90
2. Who does Gulliver accidentally insult at the farmer's house?
(a) the farmer
(b) the farmer's friend
(c) the farmer's daughter
(d) the farmer's wife
3. Gulliver explains that he loves the kitchen and has done what, since getting to the palace?
(a) learned to cook some of the queen's favorites from the chef
(b) taught the chef to make English dishes
(c) gained weight
(d) learned to cook from the farmer's daughter, when the chef had gone to bed
4. At first, the emperor wants to destroy the enemy fleet and, therefore subject the people to be governed by what?
(a) a queen
(b) a viceroy
5. What are the two factions in Lilliput called?
(a) the low hats and the high hats
(b) the blue hats and the red hats
(c) the blue heels and the red heels
(d) the low heels and the high heels
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the farmer's wife let Gulliver sleep?
2. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
3. Which of the following is not a reason that Gulliver is being brought up on charges by the Lilliputians.
4. How does Gulliver prosper after returning to England?
5. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
2. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
3. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
4. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
5. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
6. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
7. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
8. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
9. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
10. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)