|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of Gulliver's do the Lilliputians think is an oracle?
(a) his sword
(b) his handkerchief
(c) his pocketknife
(d) his watch
2. When the men go onto an island to find water, Gulliver becomes separated from them and then sees them rowing back to the boat with what following them?
(a) a shark
(b) a giant
(d) a dolphin
3. What is the name of Gulliver's nurse?
4. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
(a) around 30
(b) around 70
(c) around 50
(d) around 90
5. Gulliver tells the emperor to keep the gunpowder away from what?
(a) the castle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the emperor of Blefuscu decide to do when he finds out about the articles against Gulliver?
2. Gulliver learns that the war between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscians has to do with what?
3. Which item did Gulliver hide from the Lilliputian guards?
4. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
5. The people that can do what are picked for the best jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
2. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
3. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
4. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. Describe what happens to Gulliver at the Inn and what the farmer decides to do with him afterward.
6. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
7. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
8. What are the differences between how the giants in Part 2, Chapter 1 treat Gulliver initially and how the Lilliputians had treated him?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
10. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)