|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
(a) Gulliver gives the farmer his telescope.
(b) Gulliver speaks English.
(c) Gulliver gives the farmer money.
(d) Gulliver shows the farmer a map of England
2. Gulliver decides to seize the enemy's what?
3. What is the last man that does not want Gulliver set free?
(a) a Skygeah Globeam
(b) a Skygol Reaham
(c) a Skyreah Bolgolam
(d) a Skybol Golelam
4. Which item did the Lilliputian guards not find on Gulliver?
(a) a pocketknife
(b) a handkerchief
(c) a comb
5. What does the farmer's daughter think Gulliver is?
(a) a toy soldier
(b) a strange mouse
(c) a doll
(d) a robot
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver tells the emperor that he will never do what?
2. Gulliver gets lost while running where?
3. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
4. Gulliver estimated that about how many people lived in the inner city?
5. Gulliver also has to help deliver what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gulliver learn from his first impressions, in Part 2, Chapter 1, when he encounters the giants?
2. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
3. How does Gulliver say that criminals are treated by the Lilliputians?
4. What are the ways in which Gulliver defines the relationship between Lilliput and Blefuscu?
5. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
6. Swift meant for this part of the book to be a satire on the French government and he uses the size of everything as a farce against the government. Swift is saying that he believes that everything in France is bigger. At the time, Louis the XVI was the king of France and Louis loved to build huge estates and use his wealth for his own desires. King Louis was known to not know or care about the conditions of the people whom he governed. Knowing that, how does Part 2, Chapter 4 mirror activities in France?
7. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
8. Describe at least four of the provisions of Gulliver's release.
9. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)