|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which item did the Lilliputian guards not find on Gulliver?
(b) a pocketknife
(c) a comb
(d) a handkerchief
2. Gulliver estimated that about how many people lived in the inner city?
3. Where do the people decide to take Gulliver?
(a) the capital city
(c) the woods
(d) out into the ocean
4. One of the provisions of Gulliver's release is that he will not leave without what?
(a) at least five townspeople
(c) an honor guard
(d) the emperor
5. Gulliver is once captured by what sort of animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver tells the emperor that he will never do what?
2. What do the people occasionally catch in the sea?
3. The king sends for how many scholars to examine Gulliver?
4. While Gulliver is sleeping, they bring in a mechanism that was made specifically to do what to him?
5. What does Gulliver see washing towards the shore, after he is with the Bleuscians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the king's attitude toward Gulliver in all of Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. About a month after Gulliver is freed, the principal secretary pays him a visit. What does the secretary explain to Gulliver about the problems facing the Lilliputians and how does Gulliver's freedom factor in?
4. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
5. Why does Gulliver finally decide to leave and go to Blefuscu?
6. How does Gulliver describe the country where the giants live?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
8. How does Gulliver say that the Lilliputian children are raised?
9. How does Gulliver describe the emperor's attitude during Gulliver's capture?
10. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)