|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gulliver explains that he loves the kitchen and has done what, since getting to the palace?
(a) taught the chef to make English dishes
(b) gained weight
(c) learned to cook from the farmer's daughter, when the chef had gone to bed
(d) learned to cook some of the queen's favorites from the chef
2. How did Gulliver hide things from the Lilliputian guards?
(a) in a hole in the ground
(b) in his mouth
(c) under a bed
(d) in a secret pocket
3. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
(a) the sword
(b) the pocketknife
(c) the telescope
(d) the razor
4. When the men go onto an island to find water, Gulliver becomes separated from them and then sees them rowing back to the boat with what following them?
(b) a dolphin
(c) a shark
(d) a giant
5. How long has Gulliver been on Blefuscu, when he sees something wash up on shore?
(a) three days
(b) seven weeks
(c) three weeks
(d) seven days
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Gulliver the language of the giants?
2. Gulliver describes his adventures with what kind of creature that is jealous of him?
3. Which of the following punishments do the people settle on for Gulliver?
4. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
5. What does the farmer's daughter think Gulliver is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the secretary tell Gulliver that the Lilliputians and the people of Blefuscu are at war?
2. Why doesn't the emperor want Gulliver alive anymore and how does this reveal the emperor's true nature?
3. How does the farmer's attitude seem to change toward Gulliver in Part 2, Chapter 3 and why?
4. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. Was it a good idea for the emperor to have Gulliver taught the language? Why or why not?
6. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
7. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
8. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
9. Describe at least four of the provisions of Gulliver's release.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, what does the author seem to be using Gulliver's adventures to say about systems of government, especially the government of England?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)