|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
(b) Divine Providence
(d) compassion towards others
2. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
(a) five days
(b) six days
(c) three days
(d) four days
3. After Gulliver's schooling was complete and his first voyage was over, where did he marry and settle down?
4. What does the emperor do prior to Gulliver's sentencing?
(a) He disappears.
(b) He sends out a decree.
(c) He resigns his post.
(d) He tries to convince the people that Gulliver is evil.
5. Who buys Gulliver from the farmer?
(a) the king
(b) a lawyer
(c) a doctor
(d) the queen
Short Answer Questions
1. Gulliver describes the island as a peninsula with what at the end?
2. Gulliver learns that the war between the Lilliputians and the Blefuscians has to do with what?
3. Who teaches Gulliver the language of the giants?
4. What does the emperor of Blefuscu decide to do when he finds out about the articles against Gulliver?
5. How do the Lilliputians write on paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions on the voyage where Gulliver's ship runs into a string of bad luck.
2. Describe the misunderstanding that the emperor's men have about Gulliver's watch.
3. What are the circumstances of Gulliver's eventual freedom?
4. Explain what the provisions of Gulliver's release say about how the little people view Gulliver and about their attitude.
5. What is the emperor of the little people like? What type of personality does he seem to have?
6. Describe the relationship between Gulliver and the farmer's daughter.
7. Describe some of the mishaps that Gulliver describes in part 2, chapter 5.
8. Describe how the little men that Gulliver encounters seem to treat him. Are they afraid of him? Why or why not?
9. How is the treatment Gulliver gets from the queen who buys him from the farmer, different from the treatment Gulliver got from the farmer?
10. Gulliver is a doctor, but his heart seems to lie with exploring the world around him. What evidence supports that, in Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)