|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some ambassadors come from Blefuscu, hoping to do what?
(a) get the emperor's help to cure an illness that is killing many people
(b) get their ships back
(c) make a peace treaty
(d) get the emperor to agree to come to Blefescu and visit
2. How does Gulliver prosper after returning to England?
(a) He restarts his medical practice.
(b) He writes books.
(c) He runs a boarding house.
(d) He sells his cattle.
3. After Gulliver's schooling was complete and his first voyage was over, where did he marry and settle down?
4. What happens to cause Gulliver to abandon ship during his first voyage after the second time his practice failed?
(a) The ship hit a rock.
(b) The ship was attacked by pirates.
(c) There is a mutany on board the ship.
(d) The ship randomly sprung a leak.
5. Which of the following is not a reason that Gulliver is being brought up on charges by the Lilliputians.
(a) being friendly to the ambassadors
(b) not following orders about destroying the people of Blefuscu
(c) planning to sail tot he enemy's land
(d) secretly marrying a woman from Blefuscu
6. Out of concern for losing an eye, Gulliver does what, while swimming away from the enemy?
(a) swims totally under the water
(b) puts a helmet on
(c) swims holding a shield out in front of his face
(d) puts on his glasses
7. Gulliver helps the emperor's guards to search what?
(a) the house of a suspected criminal
(b) the countryside for a missing child
(c) the shore line, where Gulliver originally washed up
(d) Gulliver's pockets
8. What does Gulliver first try to tell the king, using hand gestures?
(a) Gulliver is friendly.
(b) Gulliver is hungry.
(c) Gulliver is lost.
(d) Gulliver is tired.
9. Who buys Gulliver from the farmer?
(a) a doctor
(b) the queen
(c) a lawyer
(d) the king
10. What do the people occasionally catch in the sea?
(b) normal fish
(d) boats full of men
11. At first, the emperor wants to destroy the enemy fleet and, therefore subject the people to be governed by what?
(b) a viceroy
(d) a queen
12. What does the farmer's daughter think Gulliver is?
(a) a doll
(b) a toy soldier
(c) a strange mouse
(d) a robot
13. In the garden, Gulliver was once carried off by what color spaniel?
14. What does the emperor do prior to Gulliver's sentencing?
(a) He tries to convince the people that Gulliver is evil.
(b) He sends out a decree.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He resigns his post.
15. How are the commoners punished for shooting arrows at Gulliver?
(a) They are banished.
(b) They are put in jail.
(c) They are pushed within Gulliver's range.
(d) They are killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main city is how many miles long?
2. When the men go onto an island to find water, Gulliver becomes separated from them and then sees them rowing back to the boat with what following them?
3. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
4. What strange item do the men find, a few days after Gulliver's game is played?
5. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)