|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the provisions of Gulliver's release is that he will not leave without what?
(a) the emperor
(c) an honor guard
(d) at least five townspeople
2. Which item did the Lilliputian guards find, when they searched Gulliver?
(b) a portrait of Gulliver's wife
(c) a telescope
(d) a razor
3. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
(a) Gulliver gives the farmer his telescope.
(b) Gulliver gives the farmer money.
(c) Gulliver speaks English.
(d) Gulliver shows the farmer a map of England
4. Gulliver estimated that about how many people lived in the inner city?
5. Who buys Gulliver from the farmer?
(a) a doctor
(b) a lawyer
(c) the king
(d) the queen
6. During the journey, Gulliver awakes only once when a couple of the curious accidentally make him do what?
7. Which item did the Lilliputian guards not find on Gulliver?
(a) a comb
(c) a pocketknife
(d) a handkerchief
8. In the garden, Gulliver was once carried off by what color spaniel?
9. Where do many people come to see Gulliver, once the farmer takes him to town?
(a) at an inn
(b) in a park
(c) at the palace
(d) at thef armer's friend's house
10. What was Gulliver schooled to become?
(a) a teacher
(b) a sailor
(c) a surgeon
(d) a carpenter
11. After the emperor reads the list of things found on Gulliver, what does he ask for?
(a) the telescope
(b) the razor
(c) the sword
(d) the pocketknife
12. Which of the following is not a reason that Gulliver is being brought up on charges by the Lilliputians.
(a) not following orders about destroying the people of Blefuscu
(b) planning to sail tot he enemy's land
(c) secretly marrying a woman from Blefuscu
(d) being friendly to the ambassadors
13. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
(a) Most people spend six months on one island and then six months on the other.
(b) Most people have relatives on each island
(c) Most people have houses on each island
(d) Most people know both languages
14. At first, the emperor wants to destroy the enemy fleet and, therefore subject the people to be governed by what?
(b) a queen
(d) a viceroy
15. How long does it take Gulliver to learn the language of the Lilliputians?
(a) about 3 years
(b) about 3 weeks
(c) They learn his language. He does not learn theirs.
(d) about 3 months
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
2. Gulliver describes the island as a peninsula with what at the end?
3. Gulliver describes his adventures with what kind of creature that is jealous of him?
4. Out of concern for losing an eye, Gulliver does what, while swimming away from the enemy?
5. Who teaches Gulliver the language of the giants?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)