|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of Gulliver's do the Lilliputians think is an oracle?
(a) his handkerchief
(b) his sword
(c) his pocketknife
(d) his watch
2. Due to trade and the fact that many of the people send their children to the opposite island to become more worldly, what does Gulliver say happens?
(a) Most people know both languages
(b) Most people have relatives on each island
(c) Most people have houses on each island
(d) Most people spend six months on one island and then six months on the other.
3. Which item did the Lilliputian guards find, when they searched Gulliver?
(a) a portrait of Gulliver's wife
(b) a telescope
(d) a razor
4. Gulliver explains that he loves the kitchen and has done what, since getting to the palace?
(a) learned to cook from the farmer's daughter, when the chef had gone to bed
(b) taught the chef to make English dishes
(c) gained weight
(d) learned to cook some of the queen's favorites from the chef
5. How long is Gulliver told it will be before the reading of the articles?
(a) six days
(b) three days
(c) five days
(d) four days
6. Who buys Gulliver from the farmer?
(a) the king
(b) the queen
(c) a doctor
(d) a lawyer
7. Gulliver tells of seeing beggars with giant what?
8. What happens to cause Gulliver to abandon ship during his first voyage after the second time his practice failed?
(a) There is a mutany on board the ship.
(b) The ship hit a rock.
(c) The ship randomly sprung a leak.
(d) The ship was attacked by pirates.
9. Gulliver explains that most Lilliputian children are raised by whom?
(a) fathers only
(d) mothers only
10. Why does the farmer decide to make Gulliver work hard after Gulliver gets ill?
(a) The farmer hopes that working will make Gulliver feel better.
(b) The farmer wants Gulliver to make people in the city sick, so that those in the farm lands can take over.
(c) The farmer wants to make more money before Gulliver dies.
(d) The farmer hopes that someone else will offer to buy Gulliver and be able to cure him.
11. What strange item do the men find, a few days after Gulliver's game is played?
(a) Gulliver's shoe
(b) Gulliver's hat
(c) Gulliver's shirt
(d) Gulliver's pants
12. How old does Gulliver think the Emperor of Lilliput is?
(a) around 50
(b) around 70
(c) around 90
(d) around 30
13. What does the emperor do prior to Gulliver's sentencing?
(a) He tries to convince the people that Gulliver is evil.
(b) He sends out a decree.
(c) He resigns his post.
(d) He disappears.
14. Gulliver must agree, also, to be an ally against the people of what place?
15. According to the old written laws, Lilliputians cannot hold public office if they do not believe in what?
(a) Divine Providence
(d) compassion towards others
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gulliver hide things from the Lilliputian guards?
2. What convinces the farmer that Gulliver is a small human?
3. Gulliver notes that hundreds of what sort of animal are kept by the royal family?
4. Gulliver describes the island as a peninsula with what at the end?
5. In the garden, Gulliver was once carried off by what color spaniel?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)