|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is embossed on Colon's breastplate?
2. Which of the following does Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler not have on sale to eat?
3. Where does the dragon find the magic to feed itself?
4. What colour are the huge dragon's eyes?
5. What did Carrot's mother send him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the attitude of the Elucidated Brethren changed towards summoning dragons by this point?
2. Why does Nobby decide to call Goodbooy Bindle Featherstone Errol?
3. How does Wonse communicate with the dragon?
4. What is Lady Sybil's attitude to the possibility of the monarchy being reinstated?
5. Why does Lady Sybil dress up when she hears a knock at the door?
6. What is one thing that Errol (and presumably other swamp dragons) and the huge dragon have in common (apart from being dragons)?
7. Why does Lady Sybil think that Errol's stomach is moving?
8. Why does the Librarian free Vimes?
9. Why does Colon try to shoot the dragon while standing on one leg and doing other peculiar things?
10. What facts make Lady Sybil become suspicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The large dragon is often described as "almost human" in a number of places and it is stated that noble dragons embody the inner darkness of the one who summoned them into the world. What bad aspects of human nature are embodied (and exaggerated) by the dragon? Your answer should cover at least three vices. For each, state the following:
(a) The vice
(b) How the dragon exaggerates this vice
Essay Topic 2
Explain, using your own words, why the Supreme Grand Master and the Elucidated Brethren decide to summon a dragon. Your essay should deal with the Supreme Grand Master and the rest of the Brethren separately.
Essay Topic 3
Vimes feels a bond of sympathy for the little dragon Errol and takes it to be the Watch mascot. Explain how Errol is symbolic or representative:
(a) What does Errol have in common with the Watch in general?
(b) How does Errol parallel or symbolize Vimes?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)