|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carrot's mother send him?
2. What does the Supreme Grand Master call the Elucidated Brethren to flatter them out of their fears?
3. Who gives Goodboy Bindle Featherstone his new name of Errol?
4. What obscure word is understood by the members of the Watch but not by Brother Fingers?
5. What is the bumper sticker on Lady Sybil's coach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colon try to shoot the dragon while standing on one leg and doing other peculiar things?
2. Why does the Librarian free Vimes?
3. Why did Brother Fingers run away?
4. How do Sam Vimes and Lupine Wonse feel about each other?
5. How does Lady Sybil approach the dragon?
6. Who is the Supreme Grand Master and how do you know?
7. Why do the rats wait on the Patrician?
8. What effect does Lady Sybil have on the lower-ranking members of the Watch?
9. What did the Supreme Grand Master predict correctly about the people of Ankh-Morpork?
10. How does Wonse communicate with the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in this novel have the opportunity to display courage.
(a) Describe one of these situations in detail - this should include the participants, the action and the setting.
(b) Explain why you consider the character to have acted courageously.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of GUARDS! GUARDS!, considering:
(a) the physical location,
(b) the closest real-world equivalent historical period in time
(c ) the social system
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of the Librarian and explain the role that he plays in the plot. Your answer should be structured as follows:
(a) A description of the Librarian, both physically and in personality
(b) A description of the key actions that the Librarian takes, with an explanation of why this action was important and how it affected other people.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)