|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel consider the ultimate act of nihilism?
2. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
3. Grendel refers to a what between Wealtheow and Hrothgar?
4. What happens when Grendel touches the door?
5. Where are the strangers from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
2. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
3. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
4. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
5. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
6. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
7. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
8. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
9. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
10. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)