|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the strangers from?
2. Hygmod proposes a truce by what gesture?
3. What does the old woman tell the children about?
4. Who is the young king?
5. What is the name of the priest who comes to Grendel in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
2. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
3. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
4. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
5. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
6. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
7. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
8. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
9. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
10. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the name "Shaper" as applied to the hall poet or bard? Why is the title significant? What does the singer shape whenever he sings?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author suddenly begin using italics and telling the action from inside Grendel's head? What reasons do you think the author has for switching narrative techniques? Does the technique enhance or confuse your understanding of the story?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)