|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the queen's name?
2. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
3. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
4. Who do the priests ask the gods to deliver them from?
5. What is unique about Ork?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)