|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What course of action does Red Horse suggest to Hrothulf?
2. What has happened to the Shaper?
3. Where do Hrothgar's men watch for an attack?
4. How do the strangers arrive?
5. The giant has the strength of how many men?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the dragon. Why did the author use this particular creature to teach Grendel? Do you find the scenes with the dragon unnecessary? Does the dragon's intelligence reduce Grendel to the level of the bull he mocked earlier?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)