|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the priest who comes to Grendel in the middle of the night?
2. What do the king and queen wait patiently to happen?
3. How many strangers are there?
4. Who helps the stranger fight Grendel?
5. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author suddenly begin using italics and telling the action from inside Grendel's head? What reasons do you think the author has for switching narrative techniques? Does the technique enhance or confuse your understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the name "Shaper" as applied to the hall poet or bard? Why is the title significant? What does the singer shape whenever he sings?
Essay Topic 3
What has caused the people's faith to falter? Why do they continue to believe in their gods/statues? Is this a natural cycle for religion to take?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)