|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
2. Halga's orphaned son is who?
3. In what year of Grendel's wars does Hrothgar's power begin to fail?
4. The three priests think Ork is?
5. Hygmod proposes a truce by what gesture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
2. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
3. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
4. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
5. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
6. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
7. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
8. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
9. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
10. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)