|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hrothgar's third child?
2. What is the queen's name?
3. What invades Grendel's mere?
4. The stranger tells Grendel to do what?
5. Who does Hrothulf meet in the woods at times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
2. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
3. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
4. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
5. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
6. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
7. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
8. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
9. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
10. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Grendel's state of mind in the twelfth year of his war. Is he going crazy? Has his power over Hrothgar overwhelmed him?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)