|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Halga's orphaned son is who?
2. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
3. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
4. In what year of Grendel's wars does Hrothgar's power begin to fail?
5. What does Grendel do with the table cloth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
2. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
3. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
4. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
5. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
6. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
7. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
8. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
9. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
10. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the name "Shaper" as applied to the hall poet or bard? Why is the title significant? What does the singer shape whenever he sings?
Essay Topic 2
The three priests represent one way of believing while Ork represents another. Discuss the differences in their beliefs and what has caused the discrepancies.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)