|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hrothgar's men watch for an attack?
2. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
3. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
4. Grendel says that what is the worst pain?
5. Grendel says the priests taste like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
2. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
3. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
4. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
5. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
6. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
7. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
8. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
9. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
10. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)