|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grendel says that everything that happened was what?
2. Who helps the stranger fight Grendel?
3. Grendel refers to a what between Wealtheow and Hrothgar?
4. Why is Wealtheow not immediately allowed in the hall with the strangers?
5. At what time of day do the strangers arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
2. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
3. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
4. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
5. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
6. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
7. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
8. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
9. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
10. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)