|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hrothgar's third child?
2. Wha does Grendel discover about the second man he snatches?
3. When Grendel begins to fight the stranger he considers him what?
4. Where are the strangers from?
5. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
2. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
3. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
4. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
5. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
6. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
7. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
8. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
9. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
10. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Grendel's relationship with his mother when he is young. How does she treat him? How does this affect his adulthood? How does their relationship shift as he grows older?
Essay Topic 3
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)