|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women place on the Shaper's eyes?
2. What does the stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in?
3. Grendel says the priests taste like what?
4. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
5. Who does Hrothulf meet in the woods at times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
2. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
3. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
4. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
5. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
6. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
7. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
8. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
9. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
10. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the dragon. Why did the author use this particular creature to teach Grendel? Do you find the scenes with the dragon unnecessary? Does the dragon's intelligence reduce Grendel to the level of the bull he mocked earlier?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)