|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ominous feeling does Grendel have?
2. When Grendel begins to fight the stranger he considers him what?
3. What do the village children make in the snow?
4. Grendel says that everything that happened was what?
5. What happens when Grendel touches the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
2. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
3. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
4. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
5. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
6. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
7. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
8. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
9. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
10. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 2
The three priests represent one way of believing while Ork represents another. Discuss the differences in their beliefs and what has caused the discrepancies.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)