|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Hrothgar have by Wealtheow?
2. What course of action does Red Horse suggest to Hrothulf?
3. In what year of Grendel's wars does Hrothgar's power begin to fail?
4. What does Grendel consider the ultimate act of nihilism?
5. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)