|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
2. What time of year is it when Grendel begins his war with Hrothgar?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
4. What does the pool of fire snakes protect?
5. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Grendel's relationship with men changes after his visit to the dragon.
2. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
3. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
4. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
5. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
6. Discuss why you think Grendel chooses to spare Unferth in his cave and on subsequent raids.
7. Describe how the bull fights.
8. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
9. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
10. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)