|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
2. In Chapter 8, who does Hrothgar intend to give to Ingeld to support a truce?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Hrothgar call the lead stranger that upsets several people in the hall?
4. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
5. How long has the speaker been at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
2. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
3. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
4. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
5. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
6. Describe the location of the creature's home.
7. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
8. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
9. Describe how the bull fights.
10. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)