|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
2. What is the creature's name?
3. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
4. Where is the creature going when he leaves his home?
5. Why does the bull attack Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the quote on page 7 where the creature gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall).
2. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
3. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
4. Describe the location of the creature's home.
5. Describe how the bull fights.
6. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
7. Describe the dragon's appearance.
8. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
9. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
10. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
Essay Topic 3
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)