|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Unferth say he will do since Grendel refuse to kill him?
2. In Chapter 10, What does Hengest take from Finn?
3. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
4. What do the people do with the remains?
5. What do the men think Grendel's blood is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
2. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
3. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
4. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
5. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
6. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
9. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
10. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the meeting between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave and Grendel and the Stranger in Hrothgar's hall. Which encounter do you feel is more heroic? Why did Unferth fail while the Stranger succeeded?
Essay Topic 2
What has caused the people's faith to falter? Why do they continue to believe in their gods/statues? Is this a natural cycle for religion to take?
Essay Topic 3
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)