|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Grendel do to the priests?
2. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
3. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
4. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
5. What can no longer harm Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
2. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
3. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
4. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
5. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
6. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
7. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
8. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
9. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
10. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Grendel's state of mind in the twelfth year of his war. Is he going crazy? Has his power over Hrothgar overwhelmed him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
This section contains 1,680 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)