|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Shaper sing of that upsets Grendel?
2. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
3. How many men does Grendel kill on his first raid?
4. In Chapter 6, Who is the first to realize Grendel can talk?
5. How does Grendel initially feel about the part in Hart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
2. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
3. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
4. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
5. Discuss the quote on page 7 where the creature gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall).
6. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
7. Describe the dragon's appearance.
8. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
9. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
10. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three priests represent one way of believing while Ork represents another. Discuss the differences in their beliefs and what has caused the discrepancies.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Unferth's character. Is he heroic? Is he a coward?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author suddenly begin using italics and telling the action from inside Grendel's head? What reasons do you think the author has for switching narrative techniques? Does the technique enhance or confuse your understanding of the story?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)