|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dragon's final advice is?
2. What is the dragon sitting on?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Hrothgar call the lead stranger that upsets several people in the hall?
4. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
5. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
2. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
3. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
4. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
5. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
6. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
7. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
8. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
9. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
10. Discuss how Grendel's relationship with men changes after his visit to the dragon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Stranger's arrival at Hrothgar's hall. How does this scene embody the idea of the "hero on the beach" as discussed in class?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Grendel's state of mind in the twelfth year of his war. Is he going crazy? Has his power over Hrothgar overwhelmed him?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)