|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
2. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
3. What changes in the spring between the clans of men?
4. Where does Grendel live?
5. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
2. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
3. How does Grendel's existence hinge on Hrothgar's survival?
4. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
5. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
6. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
7. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
8. What do snakes symbolize?
9. Describe how the bull fights.
10. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 3
The three priests represent one way of believing while Ork represents another. Discuss the differences in their beliefs and what has caused the discrepancies.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)