|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel want to know that the dragon won't answer?
2. What did Hrothgar build on his hill out of stone?
3. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
4. Which craftsman has a special place in the village?
5. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
2. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
3. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
4. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
5. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
6. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
7. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
8. Describe the dragon's appearance.
9. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
10. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
This section contains 1,654 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)