|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
2. Who is the woman the creature killed long ago?
3. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
4. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
5. What is the creature's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do snakes symbolize?
2. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
3. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
4. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
5. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
6. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
7. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
8. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
9. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
10. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the dragon. Why did the author use this particular creature to teach Grendel? Do you find the scenes with the dragon unnecessary? Does the dragon's intelligence reduce Grendel to the level of the bull he mocked earlier?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)