|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
2. Where does the sunken door lead to?
3. What animal is the speaker shooing away?
4. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
5. Who does the blind man sing of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
2. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
3. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
4. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
5. How does Grendel's existence hinge on Hrothgar's survival?
6. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
7. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
8. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
9. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
10. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author suddenly begin using italics and telling the action from inside Grendel's head? What reasons do you think the author has for switching narrative techniques? Does the technique enhance or confuse your understanding of the story?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)