|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to finally help Grendel in Chapter 2?
2. What is the dragon sitting on?
3. What is an adder?
4. What language do the men speak in Chapter 2?
5. How does Grendel avoid the bull in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
2. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
3. How does Grendel's relationship with men change after his visit to the dragon?
4. Describe how the bull fights in Chapter 2.
5. Discuss the quote on page 7 where Grendel gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall). What does this signify?
6. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who brings connectedness to these thoughts?
7. What does Grendel do when Unferth falls asleep in his cave in Chapter 6?
8. Why do the firesnakes guard the sunken door?
9. Describe the location of Grendel’s home.
10. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Stranger's arrival at Hrothgar's hall. How does this scene embody the idea of the "hero on the beach" as discussed in class?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Grendel given a name but the Stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)