Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grendel live?
2. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
3. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
4. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
5. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
2. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
3. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
5. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
6. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
7. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
8. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
9. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
10. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Grendel's state of mind in the twelfth year of his war. Is he going crazy? Has his power over Hrothgar overwhelmed him?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)