Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grendel live?
2. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
3. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
4. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
5. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
2. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
3. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
5. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
6. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
7. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
8. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
9. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
10. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)