|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
2. How long are the dragon's talons?
3. What does the pool of fire snakes protect?
4. Who does the blind man sing of?
5. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the bull fights.
2. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
3. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
4. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
5. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
6. Describe the dragon's appearance.
7. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
8. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
9. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
10. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Unferth's character. Is he heroic? Is he a coward?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Stranger's arrival at Hrothgar's hall. How does this scene embody the idea of the "hero on the beach" as discussed in class?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)