|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel ultimately do to the outlawed men?
2. Where does the sunken door lead to?
3. What do the men think Grendel is?
4. Who do the people pray too?
5. The dragon encourages Grendel to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
2. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
3. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
4. How does Grendel's existence hinge on Hrothgar's survival?
5. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
6. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
7. Discuss why you think Grendel chooses to spare Unferth in his cave and on subsequent raids.
8. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
9. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
10. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 3
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)