|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grendel live?
2. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
3. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
4. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
5. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
2. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
3. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
5. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
6. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
7. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
8. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
9. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
10. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 3
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)