|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
2. In Chapter 6, Who is the first to realize Grendel can talk?
3. What did Hrothgar build on his hill out of stone?
4. What does the pool of fire snakes protect?
5. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do snakes symbolize?
2. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
3. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
4. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
5. Describe how the bull fights.
6. How does Grendel's existence hinge on Hrothgar's survival?
7. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
8. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
9. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
10. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the dragon. Why did the author use this particular creature to teach Grendel? Do you find the scenes with the dragon unnecessary? Does the dragon's intelligence reduce Grendel to the level of the bull he mocked earlier?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)