|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
2. In Chapter 9, who joins Ork and the other three priests?
3. Where does the dragon live?
4. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
5. In Chapter 7, what is Wealtheow's hair color?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
2. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
3. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
4. Describe how the bull fights.
5. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
6. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
7. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
8. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
9. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
10. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)