|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the creature going when he leaves his home?
2. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
3. What is the creature's name?
4. In Chapter 7, what is Wealtheow's hair color?
5. How long has the speaker been at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
2. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
3. What do snakes symbolize?
4. Describe the location of the creature's home.
5. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
6. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
7. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
8. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
9. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
10. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Grendel has been terminated as a threat to Hrothgar, what other threats does Hrothgar now face? Are these threats easier to handle than Grendel? Do you think that Hrothgar should have been more concerned about his political position rather than Grendel's raids?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)