|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
2. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
3. In Chapter 12, Who does Grendel call out for in the middle of battle?
4. Who does Grendel scream for but does not help him get away from the bull?
5. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
2. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
3. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
4. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
5. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
6. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
7. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
8. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
9. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
10. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
Essay Topic 1
Use what you know of Grendel's mother and her relationship to her son to speculate about what she will do when she discovers the harm done to her son.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's choice to include the opening lines of the original Beowulf poem in his own retelling on pages 41 and 42. How does this technique affect the story? How significant is it that the harper sings the song as it would have been done in Beowulf's time?
This section contains 1,669 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)