|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people do with the remains?
2. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
3. What is an adder?
4. What does Grendel do with the corpse?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Grendel call the strangers in their armor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
2. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
3. What do snakes symbolize?
4. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
5. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
6. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
7. Discuss why you think Grendel chooses to spare Unferth in his cave and on subsequent raids.
8. Describe the dragon's appearance.
9. Discuss how Grendel's relationship with men changes after his visit to the dragon.
10. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Stranger's arrival at Hrothgar's hall. How does this scene embody the idea of the "hero on the beach" as discussed in class?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)