|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
2. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
3. Grendel compares the ram to what?
4. How long are the dragon's talons?
5. Where does the sunken door lead to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
2. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
3. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
4. Discuss the quote on page 7 where the creature gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall).
5. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
6. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
7. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
8. Describe how the bull fights.
9. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
10. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the creature's observation that animals see life without observing it. According to the creature, animals make no distinctions in their lives. What implications does this hold for men? For the creature itself?
Essay Topic 3
What has caused the people's faith to falter? Why do they continue to believe in their gods/statues? Is this a natural cycle for religion to take?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)