|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does the dragon give Grendel?
2. What do the people do with the remains of those killed by Grendel in Chapter 1?
3. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree in Chapter 2?
4. Why is Unferth so weak?
5. What do the men think Grendel's blood is in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grendel do when Unferth falls asleep in his cave in Chapter 6?
2. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
3. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
4. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
5. Discuss the quote on page 7 where Grendel gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall). What does this signify?
6. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
9. What is the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall?
10. How does Grendel feel about the brainless ram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Grendel's relationship with his mother when he is young. How does she treat him? How does this affect his adulthood? How does their relationship shift as he grows older?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Grendel comes to realize while hanging in the tree. Why is this realization important? How does this realization shape Grendel’s actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Stranger's arrival at Hrothgar's hall. How does this scene embody the idea of the "hero on the beach" as discussed in class?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)