|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Who does Grendel call out for in the middle of battle?
2. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
3. Who is the creature's only friend?
4. Where are criminals sent to live?
5. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
2. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
3. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
4. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
5. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
6. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
7. What do snakes symbolize?
8. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
9. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
10. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Grendel given a name but the stranger never is? How was Grendel named? Who named Grendel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the meeting between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave and Grendel and the Stranger in Hrothgar's hall. Which encounter do you feel is more heroic? Why did Unferth fail while the Stranger succeeded?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the dragon. Why did the author use this particular creature to teach Grendel? Do you find the scenes with the dragon unnecessary? Does the dragon's intelligence reduce Grendel to the level of the bull he mocked earlier?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)