|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who joins Ork and the other three priests?
2. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
3. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
4. Why is Unferth so weak?
5. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dragon's appearance.
2. Discuss the quote on page 7 where the creature gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall).
3. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
4. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
5. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
6. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
9. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
10. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of the word "theories" in the book. Grendel refers to theories, the dragon refers theories also. What theories do they propose? How are the dragon and Grendel theories themselves?
Essay Topic 2
The three priests represent one way of believing while Ork represents another. Discuss the differences in their beliefs and what has caused the discrepancies.
Essay Topic 3
What has caused the people's faith to falter? Why do they continue to believe in their gods/statues? Is this a natural cycle for religion to take?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)