|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
2. How old is Hrothgar when Grendel decides to destroy him?
3. What do the men think Grendel is?
4. Who is Unferth's father?
5. Grendel thinks that the stranger is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
2. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
3. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
4. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
5. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
6. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
7. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
8. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
9. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
10. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Stranger's arrival at Hrothgar's hall. How does this scene embody the idea of the "hero on the beach" as discussed in class?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Grendel's relationship with his mother when he is young. How does she treat him? How does this affect his adulthood? How does their relationship shift as he grows older?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
This section contains 1,582 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)