|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does the creature say Hrothgar's beard is?
2. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
4. What does Hrothgar think Grendel is hanging from the tree?
5. The dragon encourages Grendel to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
2. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
3. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
4. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
5. What do snakes symbolize?
6. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
7. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
8. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
9. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
10. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Grendel continues to update the reader on the dragon? Why does Grendel refer to the dragon by smell?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Hrothgar's rise to power. What did it do to the land? How did it alter the outlying villages?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Grendel means that it was inevitable that a blind man came to Hrothgar's hall? Why is the man's blindness significant to the story or his role within the hall?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)