|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hygmod the lord of?
2. In Chapter 10, What does Hengest take from Finn?
(a) His queen and treasure.
(b) His bear.
(c) His weapons.
(d) His boats.
3. What instrument does the assistant play at the Shaper’s funeral?
(a) The old Shaper's harp.
(b) His uncle's guitar.
(c) His sister's violin.
(d) A drum.
4. In Chapter 10, why does Hengest kill Finn?
(a) Finn killed Henest's father.
(c) Power and revenge.
5. How many Strangers are there arriving in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the three priests think Ork is, based on his story in Chapter 9?
2. How does Grendel escape the Stranger in Chapter 12?
3. Where are the Strangers from that arrive in Chapter 11?
4. Who is Hrothgar's younger brother?
5. The Stranger tells Grendel to do what in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
2. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
3. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
4. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murderers go free. What is meant by this statement?
5. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
6. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" (112). How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
7. Describe the lead Stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
8. Discuss Ork's behavior as he talks about the King of Gods.
9. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
10. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)