|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the strangers arrive?
(a) They walk
(b) They swim
(c) By horse
(d) By boat
2. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
(a) A younger king
3. Who do the priests ask the gods to deliver them from?
4. Grendel says that what is the worst pain?
5. What happens when Grendel touches the door?
(a) The whole hall shudders
(b) Beowulf attacks him
(c) It bursts
(d) It does not budge
Short Answer Questions
1. Red Horse says all what are monstrously evil?
2. What does the stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in?
3. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
4. Wha does Grendel discover about the second man he snatches?
5. Who is Hygmod's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
2. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
3. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
4. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
5. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
6. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
7. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
8. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
9. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
10. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)