|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women place on the Shaper's eyes?
(b) Harp picks
(c) Gold coins
2. Who is the young king?
3. Who is Hrothgar's younger brother?
4. Where do Hrothgar's men watch for an attack?
(a) Toward the forest
(b) Toward the sea
(c) Toward the mountain
(d) They no longer watch
5. What instrument does the assistant play?
(a) The old Shaper's harp
(b) A violin
(c) A drum
(d) A guitar
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have the strangers come?
2. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
3. What is the queen's name?
4. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
5. What statues stand near Hrothgar's hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
2. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
3. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
4. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
5. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
6. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
7. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
8. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
9. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
10. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)