|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Grendel begins to fight the stranger he considers him what?
(a) An equal match in strength
(b) Too strong for Grendel
(c) An easy match
(d) A coward
2. What instrument does the assistant play?
(a) The old Shaper's harp
(b) A drum
(c) A guitar
(d) A violin
3. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
(a) A holy number
(b) The number of men he can eat at once
(c) The number of men he can carry
(d) The days of the month
4. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
(a) Yell at him
(b) Runs away
(c) Scratch him
(d) Tries to block the door so he can't leave again
5. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
(a) Hrothgar and Grendel
(b) Hrothulf and Hrothgar
(c) Hrothulf and Wealtheow
(d) Hrothgar and Wealtheow
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hrothgar's third child?
2. Who is Hygmod's sister?
3. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
4. What statues stand near Hrothgar's hall?
5. Grendel says that what is the worst pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
2. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
3. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
4. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
5. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
6. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
7. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
8. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
9. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
10. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)