|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ominous feeling does Grendel have?
(a) That something is coming
(b) That he will die soon
(c) That Unferth will die soon
(d) That Hrothgar will die soon
2. What is the name of the priest who comes to Grendel in the middle of the night?
3. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
4. Who gathers around to watch Grendel die?
(b) Animals who are his old enemies
(c) The firesnakes
5. Grendel refers to a what between Wealtheow and Hrothgar?
(a) A scorpion
(b) A chasm
(c) A spider
(d) A fire
Short Answer Questions
1. What statues stand near Hrothgar's hall?
2. What is Grendel's law?
3. What happens when Grendel touches the door?
4. What has happened to the Shaper?
5. What does the old woman tell the children about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
2. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
3. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
4. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
5. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
6. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
7. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
8. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
9. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
10. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)