|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's third child?
3. Red Horse says all what are monstrously evil?
4. What does Grendel imagine the stranger to be for a split second?
(a) A dragon
(b) A monster
(c) A bear
(d) His mother
5. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
(a) He would be bored
(b) He would be hunted
(c) The dragon would be right
(d) He would have to move
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the assistant play?
2. What event excites Grendel?
3. Wha does Grendel discover about the second man he snatches?
4. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
5. Who challenges the strength and purpose of the Geatish stranger?
Short Essay Questions
1. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
2. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
3. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
4. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
5. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
6. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
7. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
8. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
9. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
10. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)