|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hygmod the lord of?
2. What does Grendel imagine the stranger to be for a split second?
(a) A bear
(b) His mother
(c) A dragon
(d) A monster
3. What does the coast guard wish to know of the strangers?
(a) Their lineage
(b) Where they stored their horses
(c) How they made their boat
(d) How long they are staying
4. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
(a) The world
5. Red Horse says all what are monstrously evil?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the strangers arrive?
2. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
3. Who does Ork tell the other priests he has been speaking too?
4. Where do Hrothgar's men watch for an attack?
5. Why is Wealtheow not immediately allowed in the hall with the strangers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
2. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
3. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
4. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
5. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
6. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
7. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
8. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
9. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
10. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)