|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women place on the Shaper's eyes?
(c) Harp picks
(d) Gold coins
2. What does the stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in?
3. When Grendel begins to fight the stranger he considers him what?
(a) An equal match in strength
(b) A coward
(c) Too strong for Grendel
(d) An easy match
4. What do the people sacrifice to the god statues?
(a) An ox
(b) A child
(c) A calf
(d) A virgin
5. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
Short Answer Questions
1. Grendel says the priests taste like what?
2. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
3. What do the village children make in the snow?
4. What does the old woman tell the children about?
5. What is the name of the priest who comes to Grendel in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
2. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
3. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
4. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
5. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
6. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
7. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
8. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
9. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
10. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)