|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
(a) The number of men he can carry
(b) The number of men he can eat at once
(c) A holy number
(d) The days of the month
2. What does the stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in?
3. What does the old woman tell the children about?
(a) A giant from across the sea
(b) A hidden underwater cave
(c) A dragon in the mountains
(d) A monster in the woods
4. What is unique about Ork?
(a) He is unable to walk
(b) He cannot hear
(c) He is blind
(d) He cannot talk
5. Where do Hrothgar's men watch for an attack?
(a) Toward the forest
(b) Toward the mountain
(c) Toward the sea
(d) They no longer watch
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
2. Grendel says that everything that happened was what?
3. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
4. The stranger tells Grendel to do what?
5. What does Grendel consider the ultimate act of nihilism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
2. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
3. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
4. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
5. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
6. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
7. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
8. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
9. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
10. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)