|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the strangers arrive?
(a) They swim
(b) They walk
(c) By boat
(d) By horse
2. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
(d) A younger king
3. Who is Hrothgar's younger brother?
4. What does the coast guard wish to know of the strangers?
(a) How long they are staying
(b) How they made their boat
(c) Where they stored their horses
(d) Their lineage
5. Grendel says that everything that happened was what?
(a) A Mistake
(b) An accident
(c) A miracle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel do with the table cloth?
2. What has happened to the Shaper?
3. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
4. The stranger tells Grendel to do what?
5. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
2. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
3. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
4. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
5. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
6. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
7. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
8. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
9. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
10. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)