|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does the assistant play?
(a) A drum
(b) A guitar
(c) The old Shaper's harp
(d) A violin
2. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
(a) He would have to move
(b) He would be hunted
(c) The dragon would be right
(d) He would be bored
3. Grendel says the priests taste like what?
(b) Duck eggs
(d) Old goat
4. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
(a) Hrothulf and Hrothgar
(b) Hrothgar and Wealtheow
(c) Hrothulf and Wealtheow
(d) Hrothgar and Grendel
5. Who is Hygmod the lord of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who challenges the strength and purpose of the Geatish stranger?
2. Why is Wealtheow not immediately allowed in the hall with the strangers?
3. Grendel says that everything that happened was what?
4. Who is the lead stranger said to have challenged to a swimming match?
5. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
2. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
3. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
4. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
5. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
6. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
7. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
8. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
9. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
10. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)