|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel consider the ultimate act of nihilism?
(a) Killing the queen
(b) Killing the princes
(c) Killing the king
(d) Killing the Shaper
2. Who is Hygmod's sister?
3. How many sons does Hrothgar have by Wealtheow?
4. Where are the strangers from?
5. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
(a) Hrothulf and Hrothgar
(b) Hrothgar and Grendel
(c) Hrothulf and Wealtheow
(d) Hrothgar and Wealtheow
Short Answer Questions
1. What event excites Grendel?
2. What is unique about Ork?
3. What do the women place on the Shaper's eyes?
4. Wha does Grendel discover about the second man he snatches?
5. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
2. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
3. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
4. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
5. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
6. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
7. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
8. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
9. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
10. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)