|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hygmod proposes a truce by what gesture?
(a) A chest of treasure
(b) A feast
(c) Drawing his sword with his left hand
(d) A white flag
2. What is unique about Ork?
(a) He is unable to walk
(b) He cannot hear
(c) He cannot talk
(d) He is blind
3. Where are the strangers from?
4. What do the village children make in the snow?
(d) Snow angels
5. Halga's orphaned son is who?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in?
2. The stranger tells Grendel to do what?
3. What do the people sacrifice to the god statues?
4. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
5. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
2. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
3. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
4. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
5. The goat invading the mere can be seen as a symbol and foreshadowing. What does the goat stand for?
6. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
7. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
8. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
9. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
10. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)