|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in, in Chapter 12
2. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
(d) A younger king.
3. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
(b) His own death.
(d) A black tree with a double trunk.
4. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His brother.
(d) His sons.
5. Who is the leader of the Heathobards who poses a threat to Hrothgar?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
3. Who gathers around to watch Grendel die?
4. In Chapter 9, who joins Ork and the other three priests?
5. What is the name of the priest who comes and speaks to Grendel after the ceremony in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grendel mean by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live?
2. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
3. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
4. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
5. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
6. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
7. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murderers go free. What is meant by this statement?
8. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
9. Describe the lead Stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
10. How do the Danes respond to the arrival of the Geats?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)