|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Grendel touches the door in Chapter 12?
(a) It does not budge.
(b) The whole hall shudders.
(c) Beowulf attacks him.
(d) It bursts.
2. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
(a) Tries to block the door so he can't leave again.
(b) Scratches him.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Yells at him.
3. Where do Hrothgar's men watch for an attack in Chapter 10?
(a) They no longer watch.
(b) Toward the forest.
(c) Toward the sea.
(d) Toward the mountain.
4. In Chapter 12, who does Grendel call out for in the middle of battle?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) The dragon.
(d) His mother.
5. What instrument does the assistant play at the Shaper’s funeral?
(a) The old Shaper's harp.
(b) His sister's violin.
(c) His uncle's guitar.
(d) A drum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel observe an archer killing in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
3. Who does Ork tell the other priests he has been speaking to in Chapter 9?
4. What do the three priests think Ork is, based on his story in Chapter 9?
5. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
2. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
3. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
4. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" (112). How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
5. Discuss Ork's behavior as he talks about the King of Gods.
6. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
7. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
8. What does Grendel mean by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live?
9. What similarities do you see between the brief account of Finn and Hnaef and Hrothgar and Wealtheow's brother?
10. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)