|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hygmod's sister?
2. Who do the priests ask the gods to deliver them from?
3. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
(a) He would be hunted
(b) He would have to move
(c) The dragon would be right
(d) He would be bored
4. What has happened to the Shaper?
(a) He left
(b) He lost his voice
(c) He is sick
(d) He died
5. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
(b) A Hart
(c) A bull
(d) A bear
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day do the strangers arrive?
2. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits?
3. What does Grendel slip on that gives the stranger the upper hand?
4. What ominous feeling does Grendel have?
5. Who is Hrothgar's younger brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the bowsman hunting the hart to the priest coming to Grendel in the ring of gods.
2. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
3. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
4. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
5. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
6. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
7. Discuss the images of the Shaper being burned on the pyre at the end of Chapter 10. What do the images symbolize?
8. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
9. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
10. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)