|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sons does Hrothgar have by Wealtheow?
2. Who is the lead stranger said to have challenged to a swimming match?
3. Hygmod proposes a truce by what gesture?
(a) A white flag
(b) A feast
(c) A chest of treasure
(d) Drawing his sword with his left hand
4. What do the people sacrifice to the god statues?
(a) A virgin
(b) A child
(c) A calf
(d) An ox
5. Who is Hrothgar's younger brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
2. Wha does Grendel discover about the second man he snatches?
3. The three priests think Ork is?
4. Why is Wealtheow not immediately allowed in the hall with the strangers?
5. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
2. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
3. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
4. Describe the lead stranger. How does he act? What does he look like?
5. Describe the behavior of Grendel's mother. How are her actions altered by Grendel's increase in power?
6. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
7. Describe the effect Wealtheow has on Hrothgar's hall.
8. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
9. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
10. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)