|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
(c) The world
2. Grendel says the priests taste like what?
(b) Old goat
(c) Duck eggs
3. What does the coast guard wish to know of the strangers?
(a) How long they are staying
(b) How they made their boat
(c) Where they stored their horses
(d) Their lineage
4. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
(a) His castle
(b) His son
(c) His sister
(d) The bear
5. What statues stand near Hrothgar's hall?
(a) Of Hrothgar
(b) Of Wealtheow
(c) The Scylding gods
(d) Of Grendel
Short Answer Questions
1. Grendel refers to a what between Wealtheow and Hrothgar?
2. How do the strangers arrive?
3. Grendel says that everything that happened was what?
4. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
5. Who does Hrothulf meet in the woods at times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression does the reader gain from the exchange between the lead stranger and Unferth in Chapter 11?
2. Discuss Wealtheow's reaction to Hrothgar's claiming the stranger as a son and the plan to marry Freawaru off as the sign of a truce in Chapter 11.
3. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
4. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
5. Does the Finn tale function only to foreshadow what will befall Hrothgar? Who else could suffer a similar fate?
6. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
7. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
8. How does Grendel's assertion that the stranger's success is an accident contrast with the dragon's speech about the inevitability of events?
9. In Chapter 12, discuss Grendel's interpretation of why his mother does not answer him as he calls for her while fighting the Stranger.
10. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)