|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
(a) The dragon cursed him
(b) He accidentally stole the dragon's gold
(c) The dragon charmed him
(d) The dragon gave him a jewel
2. Who does the blind man sing of?
3. How many days later does Unferth seek out Grendel's cave?
4. What Biblical stories does the harper sing of?
(a) The Flood
(b) Jonah and the Whale
(d) Creation and Cain and Abel
5. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
(a) A statue of himself
(c) A great mead hall
(d) A gold throne
Short Answer Questions
1. Grendel thinks that the stranger is what?
2. What does the pool of fire snakes protect?
3. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
4. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
5. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
2. What is the relationship between Hrothgar and Wealtheow? Are they a happy couple?
3. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
4. How does Grendel's existence hinge on Hrothgar's survival?
5. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
6. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
7. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
8. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
9. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
10. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)