|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The dragon's cave
(b) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(c) The circle of gods
(d) The eaves of the forest
2. Who leaves Hrothgar's hall unimpressed by the blind man's words?
(b) The old Shaper
3. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
(b) He never goes outside
4. Grendel compares the ram to what?
(a) Slow-witted king
(b) The Shaper
(d) His mother
5. Where does Grendel live?
(a) In a hole in the ground
(b) In a nest in the woods
(c) In an underground cavern
(d) In a mountain cave
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel do with Unferth when he comes to the cave?
2. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
3. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
4. What is the name of Hrothgar's hall?
5. In Chapter 7, who calms the argument between Unferth and another thane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
2. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
3. Describe the Danes reaction to the Geats as Grendel observes them.
4. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
5. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
6. Describe the dragon's appearance.
7. What do snakes symbolize?
8. Describe Grendel's reaction to the strangers. How does he feel about the lead stranger?
9. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
10. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)