|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
(a) His mother
(b) The Shaper
(c) The Dragon
2. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
3. What color does the creature say Hrothgar's beard is?
4. What did Hrothgar build on his hill out of stone?
(a) A wall
(c) A throne
(d) A hall
5. What does Grendel call Unferth?
(a) A girl
(b) A poor jangler
(c) A baby
(d) A coward
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
2. What Biblical stories does the harper sing of?
3. How does Grendel initially feel about the part in Hart?
4. How long has the speaker been at war?
5. What does Grendel ultimately do to the outlawed men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
2. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
3. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
4. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
5. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
6. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
7. What do snakes symbolize?
8. Discuss how Grendel's relationship with men changes after his visit to the dragon.
9. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
10. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)