|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
(b) One through five
(d) One through four
2. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
(a) The Dragon
(b) The shaper
(d) His mother
3. What does Grendel want to know that the dragon won't answer?
4. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The circle of gods
(b) The eaves of the forest
(c) The dragon's cave
(d) The top of Hrothgar's hall
5. Who is the creature's only friend?
(b) His mother
(c) His shadow
(d) The firesnakes
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
2. Where does the sunken door lead to?
3. Grendel compares the ram to what?
4. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
5. In Chapter 9, who joins Ork and the other three priests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why you think Grendel chooses to spare Unferth in his cave and on subsequent raids.
2. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
3. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
4. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
5. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
6. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
7. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
8. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
9. What do snakes symbolize?
10. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)