|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people do with the remains?
(a) Bury them
(b) Throw them in the sea
(c) Hang them in trees
(d) Burn them
2. What does Grendel ultimately do to the outlawed men?
(a) Drowns them in the lake
(b) Brings them to his mother
(c) Hangs them in trees
(d) Eat them
3. Where does Grendel live?
(a) In an underground cavern
(b) In a mountain cave
(c) In a nest in the woods
(d) In a hole in the ground
4. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
5. What is an adder?
(a) A singer
(b) A snake
(c) A fish
(d) A tree
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
2. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
3. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
4. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Hrothgar call the lead stranger that upsets several people in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Grendel's relationship with men changes after his visit to the dragon.
2. What do snakes symbolize?
3. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
4. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
5. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
6. Describe how the bull fights.
7. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
8. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
9. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
10. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)