|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men does Grendel kill on his first raid?
2. What advice does the dragon give Grendel?
(a) To seek out gold
(b) To move away
(c) To devour the queen
(d) To kill Hrothgar
3. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel?
(a) A spear
(b) A knife
(c) A battle-ax
(d) A shield
4. In Chapter 11, what does Hrothgar call the lead stranger that upsets several people in the hall?
(a) His savior
(b) A son
(c) His brother
(d) His favorite
5. Who is Unferth's father?
(b) The Shaper
Short Answer Questions
1. What Biblical stories does the harper sing of?
2. What color does the creature say Hrothgar's beard is?
3. Who do the people pray too?
4. What do the people do with the remains?
5. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
2. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
3. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
4. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
5. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
6. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
7. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
8. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
9. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
10. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)