|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men does Grendel kill on his first raid?
2. What three things does the dragon know?
(a) Beginning, present, end
(b) Truth, lies, men's words
(c) Secrets of the men, of the gods, of the animals
(d) Men speech, animal speech, dragon speech
3. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
(a) A great mead hall
(b) A gold throne
(d) A statue of himself
4. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
(a) The Dragon
(b) The shaper
(c) His mother
5. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
2. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel?
3. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
4. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
5. In Chapter 9, who joins Ork and the other three priests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
2. What do snakes symbolize?
3. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
4. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
5. Describe how the bull fights.
6. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
7. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
8. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
9. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
10. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)