|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel call the bard in the hall?
(b) The Shaper
(d) The Liar
2. What is the creature's name?
3. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk?
(b) Roasted meat
4. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
(a) His brother
(b) His wife
(c) His father
(d) His sons
5. What does the Chinaman keep caged?
(a) A bird
(b) A cricket
(c) A spider
(d) A snake
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grendel live?
2. Grendel thinks that the stranger is what?
3. How long has the speaker been at war?
4. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
5. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
2. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
3. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
4. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
5. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
6. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
7. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
8. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
9. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
10. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)