|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Grendel’s only friend?
(a) The firesnakes.
(c) His shadow.
(d) His mother.
2. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
(a) The dragon's.
(b) The firesnakes.
(c) The devil's.
(d) The cursed race or Cain's.
3. What are the workers replacing after Grendel’s attack in Hrothgar’s Hall in Chapter 1?
(a) The roof.
(b) The moat.
(c) The courtyard.
(d) The door.
4. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk in Chapter 6?
(c) Roasted meat.
5. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard that attacks him in Chapter 6?
(a) Bites his head off.
(b) Throws him off a cliff.
(c) Tears his arms off.
(d) Takes him back to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel ultimately do to the outlawed men?
2. What does Grendel call the bard in the hall?
3. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel in Chapter 3?
4. How long are the dragon's talons?
5. What adjective does Grendel use to describe his war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
2. What is the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall?
3. Describe how the bull fights in Chapter 2.
4. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
5. Does Grendel have delusions about his own intelligence?
6. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
7. Describe the hairless man and his function in the group.
8. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
9. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
10. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)