|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are criminals sent to live?
(a) A cave
(b) The forest
(c) The mountains
(d) An island
2. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
(a) The firesnakes
(b) The dragon's
(c) The devil's
(d) The cursed race or Cain's
3. What is the name of Hrothgar's hall?
(a) Hrothgar's Throne
(b) Golden Hall
(d) The Great Hall
4. In Chapter 10, What does Hengest take from Finn?
(a) His bear
(b) His boats
(c) His weapons
(d) His queen and his treasure
5. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The circle of gods
(b) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(c) The eaves of the forest
(d) The dragon's cave
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
2. What does Grendel call the words of the blind man?
3. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
4. What is the word used to denote the king's followers?
5. What does Grendel do with the corpse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the location of the creature's home.
2. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
3. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
4. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
5. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
6. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
9. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
10. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)