|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Ingeld is the ruler of who?
(a) The Geats
(b) The Heathobards
(c) The Scyldings
(d) The Danes
2. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
(a) To war in the spring
(c) A truce
3. In Chapter 11, what does Grendel call the strangers in their armor?
(a) Silly men
(b) Shiny bulls
(c) Fat cows
(d) Stupid bears
4. What color does the creature say Hrothgar's beard is?
5. How many days later does Unferth seek out Grendel's cave?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the dragon's talons?
2. What Biblical stories does the harper sing of?
3. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
4. In Chapter 7, who calms the argument between Unferth and another thane?
5. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
2. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
3. Discuss why you think Grendel chooses to spare Unferth in his cave and on subsequent raids.
4. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
5. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
6. How does Grendel's existence hinge on Hrothgar's survival?
7. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
8. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
9. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
10. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)