|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(b) The eaves of the forest
(c) The circle of gods
(d) The dragon's cave
2. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel?
(a) A shield
(b) A spear
(c) A battle-ax
(d) A knife
3. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
(a) A woman
(b) A man
(c) A small child
(d) A rabbit
4. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
(a) Feed her to the firesnakes
(b) Capture her for his mother
(c) Kill her
(d) Marry her
5. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
(a) His wife
(b) His brother
(c) His sons
(d) His father
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, Who is the first to realize Grendel can talk?
2. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
3. Which craftsman has a special place in the village?
4. Grendel compares the ram to what?
5. Why does the bull attack Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the bull fights.
2. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
3. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
4. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
5. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
6. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
7. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
8. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
9. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
10. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)