|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the creature going when he leaves his home?
(a) The mountains
(b) The forest
(c) The moors
(d) Hrothgar's Hall
2. Who do the people pray too?
(b) Sticks and stones
3. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
(a) They thank him
(b) They do not see him
(c) They welcome him
(d) They attack him
4. Grendel compares talking to what?
(d) A coffin
5. What three things does the dragon know?
(a) Secrets of the men, of the gods, of the animals
(b) Beginning, present, end
(c) Truth, lies, men's words
(d) Men speech, animal speech, dragon speech
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
2. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
3. What can no longer harm Grendel?
4. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
5. What do the men think Grendel is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
2. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
3. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
4. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
5. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
6. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
9. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
10. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)