|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
(a) His mother scratches him
(b) He steps on a spearhead
(c) He hits himself with a knife
(d) A guard attacks him
2. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
(a) A bear
(c) His mother hunting
(d) The gods
3. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
(b) A black tree with a double trunk
(c) His own death
4. Where are criminals sent to live?
(a) A cave
(b) An island
(c) The mountains
(d) The forest
5. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
(a) A dead man
(b) A pile of treasure
(d) A store of weapons
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
2. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
3. What color does the creature say Hrothgar's beard is?
4. What is an adder?
5. In Chapter 9, who joins Ork and the other three priests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
2. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
3. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
4. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
5. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
6. Describe the location of the creature's home.
7. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
8. Describe how the bull fights.
9. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
10. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)