|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
(c) One through four
(d) One through five
2. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard?
(a) Bites his head off
(b) Takes him back to his mother
(c) Throws him off a cliff
(d) Tears his arms off
3. What does Grendel want to know that the dragon won't answer?
4. What does Hrothgar think Grendel is hanging from the tree?
(a) An oak-tree spirit
(b) A bear
(c) A man
(d) A cave troll
5. Why does the dragon tell Grendel to stand off to the side?
(a) Because he is blocking the light
(b) So Grendel is not accidentally burned
(c) Because the dragon does not want Grendel on his gold
(d) There is more room on the side for Grendel to sit
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
2. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
3. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
4. Where does the dragon live?
5. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
2. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
3. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
4. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
5. Describe how the bull fights.
6. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. Describe the dragon's appearance.
9. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
10. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)