|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grendel scream for but does not help him get away from the bull?
(a) The Dragon
(c) His father
(d) His mother
2. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
(a) His mother wants to come along
(b) He is always hungry for more
(c) He has not fun
(d) He is alone
3. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
(a) Tear her limbs off
(b) Roast her over the fire
(c) Bite off her head
(d) Throw her to the firesnakes
4. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is wounded
(b) Because he is old
(c) Because he has traveled a far distance
(d) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
5. How long has the speaker been at war?
(a) Ten years
(b) Twenty years
(c) Twelve years
(d) Fifteen years
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the blind man sing of?
2. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
3. Who is Unferth's father?
4. In Chapter 6, Who is the first to realize Grendel can talk?
5. How does Grendel initially feel about the part in Hart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
2. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
3. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
4. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
5. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
6. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
7. Discuss the sentiment that bread-thieves die while murders go free.
8. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
9. Discuss Wealtheow's life at Hart and her unspoken feelings about her position as queen.
10. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)