|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can no longer harm Grendel?
(a) The firesnakes
(c) Other animals
2. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
(a) A small child
(b) A rabbit
(c) A woman
(d) A man
3. What language do the men speak?
(b) The same as Grendel
4. Where does the sunken door lead to?
(a) A treasure cave
(b) The dragon's lair
(c) Into Hrothgar's hall
(d) The outside
5. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
(a) Men to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
2. What does Grendel ultimately do to the outlawed men?
3. What does Grendel do with Unferth when he comes to the cave?
4. In Chapter 6, Who is the first to realize Grendel can talk?
5. What does Grendel say Hrothgar's sons would do with their father's gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the quote on page 7 where the creature gives himself alternate names (shadow-shooter, earth-rim-roamer, walker of the world's weird wall).
2. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
3. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
4. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
5. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
6. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
7. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
8. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
9. How do Grendel's emotions play into his role as narrator?
10. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)