|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Ingeld is the ruler of who?
(a) The Heathobards
(b) The Scyldings
(c) The Danes
(d) The Geats
2. Who does the blind man sing of?
3. What did Hrothgar build on his hill out of stone?
(a) A wall
(b) A throne
(d) A hall
4. What does Grendel call the words of the blind man?
(b) Beautiful songs
5. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
(a) The Dragon
(b) His mother
(d) The shaper
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
2. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
3. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk?
4. In what part of his body is Hrothgar sick?
5. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
2. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
3. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
4. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
5. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
6. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
7. Describe how the bull fights.
8. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
9. Discuss Unferth's reaction to the hero's arrival.
10. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)