|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
(a) A black tree with a double trunk
(d) His own death
2. In Chapter 7, who calms the argument between Unferth and another thane?
3. What advice does the dragon give Grendel?
(a) To devour the queen
(b) To move away
(c) To seek out gold
(d) To kill Hrothgar
4. Who do the people pray too?
(d) Sticks and stones
5. Where does the dragon live?
(a) Beneath the lake
(b) A cave in the mountains
(c) In an abandoned hall
(d) A nest in the forest
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the blind man sing of?
2. What color does the creature say Hrothgar's beard is?
3. What does Grendel call Unferth?
4. Grendel thinks that the stranger is what?
5. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
2. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
3. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
4. What do snakes symbolize?
5. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
6. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
7. Describe the dragon's appearance.
8. Discuss how Grendel's relationship with men changes after his visit to the dragon.
9. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
10. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)