|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why does Hengest kill Finn?
(b) Power of revenge
(c) Finn attacks him first
(d) Hengest kills Finn's father
2. What do the men think Grendel is?
(a) A bull
(b) A bear
(c) A tree fungus
(d) A monster
3. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
(a) His brother
(b) His father
(c) His wife
(d) His sons
4. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
(a) He accidentally stole the dragon's gold
(b) The dragon cursed him
(c) The dragon charmed him
(d) The dragon gave him a jewel
5. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(b) The circle of gods
(c) The dragon's cave
(d) The eaves of the forest
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, who does Hrothgar intend to give to Ingeld to support a truce?
2. In Chapter 6, Who is the first to realize Grendel can talk?
3. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
4. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him?
5. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dragon's appearance.
2. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
3. Discuss the significance of Hrothgar's name for his mead hall.
4. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
5. Describe how the bull fights.
6. Describe the firesnakes. What sort of creature do you think they are?
7. Discuss why you think Grendel chooses to spare Unferth in his cave and on subsequent raids.
8. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
9. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
10. Who proves to be more heroic during the encounter between Unferth and Grendel in Grendel's cave?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)