|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to finally help Grendel in Chapter 2?
(a) The Shaper.
(b) The Dragon.
(c) His mother.
2. What does Grendel do with Unferth when he comes to the cave?
(a) Feeds him to the firesnakes.
(b) Takes him back to Hrothgar's hall.
(c) Leaves him for his mother.
(d) Eats him.
3. Who is the woman that Grendel killed long ago?
4. What is the dragon sitting on?
(a) A huge pile of gold, jewels, and treasure.
(b) A pile of bones.
(c) A pile of kingly robes.
(d) A throne.
5. Who does the blind man sing of in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things does the dragon know?
2. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk in Chapter 6?
3. What does Grendel call Unferth in Chapter 6?
4. What time of year is it when Grendel begins his war with Hrothgar?
5. Where does the dragon live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
2. Describe how the men act/talk in the mead halls. What is the function of this behavior?
3. Describe the location of Grendel’s home.
4. The dragon talks about fate, free will, and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
5. Discuss the significance of Grendel's speech about heroes existing only in poetry.
6. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
7. Describe how the bull fights in Chapter 2.
8. Describe life around the village as Grendel observes it.
9. Why is Grendel drawn to and repulsed by Hrothgar's great hall?
10. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)