|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
(d) Men to eat
2. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
(a) Hrothgar has it killed for food
(b) Grendel kills it
(c) It runs away
(d) Hymgod looses it
3. What time of year is it when Grendel begins his war with Hrothgar?
4. The dragon encourages Grendel to do what?
(a) Change the future
(b) Kill Hrothgar
(c) Burn down Hart
(d) Ignore Men
5. The dragon's great ambition is to?
(a) Kill Hrothgar
(b) Count all his treasure
(c) Kill Grendel
(d) Burn down Hart
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
2. What does the Shaper sing of that upsets Grendel?
3. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
4. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
5. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
2. Describe the dragon's appearance.
3. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
4. Discuss the futility of Unferth coming to Grendel's cave and what the action says about Unferth's character.
5. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
6. Describe the arrangement between Hrothgar and his closest neighbors.,
7. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
8. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
9. What entices Grendel to Hrothgar's hall? Why is a part of him swept up in the merriment?
10. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)