|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him?
(a) A rabbit hole
(b) An old tree
(c) A trap
(d) A stone wall
2. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is wounded
(b) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
(c) Because he has traveled a far distance
(d) Because he is old
3. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
(a) Grendel kills it
(b) Hrothgar has it killed for food
(c) It runs away
(d) Hymgod looses it
4. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
(a) A volcano erupts
(b) A twelve foot seam opens
(c) The Hall crumbles
(d) The earth quakes
5. The speaker says it is the "disfigured son of" what?
(b) The Devil
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grendel initially feel about the part in Hart?
2. What is the word used to denote the king's followers?
3. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
4. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
5. Who leaves Hrothgar's hall unimpressed by the blind man's words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
2. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
3. How does Grendel's meeting with the dragon help him define his role in the world of men?
4. Describe Unferth's reaction to Grendel's speaking.
5. What do Wealtheow's words to the sleeping Hrothulf mean?
6. Discuss the priests' reaction to Ork's tale of speaking with the Great Destroyer.
7. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
8. What does the dragon say that changes Grendel's mind about approaching men? How does the dragon feel about Grendel's change of heart?
9. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
10. Discuss what Grendel means by saying that it is just as pointless to kill Wealtheow as to let her live.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)