|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Ingeld is the ruler of who?
(a) The Danes
(b) The Geats
(c) The Heathobards
(d) The Scyldings
2. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
(a) They do not see him
(b) They attack him
(c) They welcome him
(d) They thank him
3. Grendel compares the ram to what?
(a) His mother
(b) Slow-witted king
(d) The Shaper
4. What is the name of Hrothgar's hall?
(b) Golden Hall
(c) Hrothgar's Throne
(d) The Great Hall
5. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
(a) A pile of treasure
(b) A store of weapons
(d) A dead man
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
2. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
3. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
5. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Grendel is so offended by the Shaper's words?
2. Discuss Grendel's mother and how she differs from her son.
3. Discuss why the fire snakes guard the sunken door.
4. Discuss Grendel's personal transformation during and as a result of his first raid.
5. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
6. How does the story of Finn foreshadow what could happen with Hrothgar's truces with Hygmod and Ingeld?
7. The dragon talks about fate, free will and the consistency of time but encourages Grendel to change something. How does the dragon not heed his own advice?
8. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
9. Describe how the bull fights.
10. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)