|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men think Grendel's blood is?
(a) Bull's blood
2. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
3. What is the dragon sitting on?
(a) A throne
(b) A huge pile of gold, jewels, treasure
(c) A pile of kingly robes
(d) A pile of bones
4. Why does the bull attack Grendel?
(a) All animals hate Grendel
(b) Its calf is close by
(c) It is hungry
(d) Grendel tried to kill it
5. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
(b) A truce
(c) To war in the spring
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is Wealtheow's hair color?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
3. What changes in the spring between the clans of men?
4. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
5. What language do the men speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what the dragon tells Grendel about the thoughts of men. Who bring connectedness to these thoughts?
2. What does Grendel hope his mother will tell him someday? Why doesn't she?
3. Discuss the statement, "By deeds worth praise a man can, in any kingdom, prosper!" How do these words from the Shaper contradict what the dragon told Grendel?
4. Discuss the people's view of religion after years of Grendel's oppression.
5. Discuss Ork's reaction as he talks about the King of Gods.
6. In Chapter 12, who are Grendel's final words directed toward? What foreshadowing do his words provide?
7. Describe the match between Grendel and the stranger. What mistakes does Grendel make? What tactics does the stranger utilize?
8. Does the speaker have delusions about his own intelligence?
9. How does the speaker feel about the brainless ram?
10. Describe how the men look the very first time Grendel sees them.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)