|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard that attacks him in Chapter 6?
(a) Takes him back to his mother.
(b) Throws him off a cliff.
(c) Bites his head off.
(d) Tears his arms off.
2. What adjective does Grendel use to describe his war?
3. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A small child.
(c) A woman.
(d) A man.
4. What do the people do with the remains of those killed by Grendel in Chapter 1?
(a) Bury them.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Throw them in the sea.
(d) Hang them in trees.
5. What does Grendel do with the corpse in Chapter 4?
(a) Eats it.
(b) Takes it to the hall.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Gives it to his mother.
6. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall in Chapter 4?
(a) A store of weapons.
(c) A pile of treasure.
(d) A dead man.
7. How does Grendel avoid the bull in Chapter 2?
(a) By twisting its horn.
(b) His mother helps him.
(c) By capturing the bull.
(d) By killing it.
8. What does Grendel throw at Unferth in Chapter 6?
9. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
(a) The dragon charmed him.
(b) The dragon gave him a jewel.
(c) The dragon cursed him.
(d) He accidentally stole the dragon's gold.
10. Grendel compares talking to what in Chapter 2?
(a) A coffin.
11. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Shaper.
(c) The Dragon.
12. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them in Chapter 4?
(a) They welcome him.
(b) They do not see him.
(c) They thank him.
(d) They attack him.
13. What does Grendel compare the fire to in Chapter 1?
14. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed in Chapter 6?
(a) He hits himself with a knife.
(b) He steps on a spearhead.
(c) His mother scratches him.
(d) A guard attacks him.
15. What does Grendel say Hrothgar's sons would do with their father's gold?
(a) Give it all away.
(b) Divide it evenly.
(c) Spend it.
(d) Weigh it in their minds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the blind man sing of in Chapter 3?
2. How many days after their first meeting does Unferth seek out Grendel's cave?
3. What does Hrothgar think Grendel is hanging from the tree?
4. Why does the bull attack Grendel?
5. Who is Unferth's father?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)