|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel call the words of the blind man?
(b) Beautiful songs
2. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
(a) By singing to him
(b) By trying to nurse him
(c) By making him food
(d) By healing his wounds
3. The dragon encourages Grendel to do what?
(a) Kill Hrothgar
(b) Ignore Men
(c) Change the future
(d) Burn down Hart
4. In what part of his body is Hrothgar sick?
(c) His soul
5. What do the men think Grendel is?
(a) A monster
(b) A tree fungus
(c) A bull
(d) A bear
6. The speaker says it is the "disfigured son of" what?
(c) The Devil
7. What changes in the spring between the clans of men?
(a) They begin warring
(b) They build one main hall
(c) They sign a truce
(d) They plant crops together
8. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
9. Who is the woman the creature killed long ago?
10. How many days later does Unferth seek out Grendel's cave?
11. What is the dragon sitting on?
(a) A throne
(b) A pile of kingly robes
(c) A huge pile of gold, jewels, treasure
(d) A pile of bones
12. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is old
(b) Because he is wounded
(c) Because he has traveled a far distance
(d) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
13. What animal is the speaker shooing away?
14. Who is Unferth's father?
(a) The Shaper
15. Where does Grendel live?
(a) In a nest in the woods
(b) In a hole in the ground
(c) In an underground cavern
(d) In a mountain cave
Short Answer Questions
1. Grendel compares the ram to what?
2. What time of year is it when Grendel begins his war with Hrothgar?
3. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
4. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him?
5. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)