|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
2. What does Grendel do with the corpse?
(a) Eats it
(b) Buries it
(c) Take it to the hall
(d) Gives it to his mother
3. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him?
(a) A trap
(b) A rabbit hole
(c) A stone wall
(d) An old tree
4. What changes in the spring between the clans of men?
(a) They plant crops together
(b) They build one main hall
(c) They sign a truce
(d) They begin warring
5. What is the creature's name?
6. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
(a) Tear her limbs off
(b) Throw her to the firesnakes
(c) Roast her over the fire
(d) Bite off her head
7. Grendel thinks that the stranger is what?
(d) Too strong
8. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
9. What is the name of Hrothgar's hall?
(a) The Great Hall
(b) Golden Hall
(c) Hrothgar's Throne
10. Who does Grendel say explains things to him?
(a) The Shaper
(b) His mother
(d) The Dragon
11. Which craftsman has a special place in the village?
(a) Gold workers
12. What does Grendel call the words of the blind man?
(c) Beautiful songs
13. What does the Shaper sing of that upsets Grendel?
(a) Grendel's mother
14. What does Grendel want to know that the dragon won't answer?
15. What three things does the dragon know?
(a) Truth, lies, men's words
(b) Men speech, animal speech, dragon speech
(c) Beginning, present, end
(d) Secrets of the men, of the gods, of the animals
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
2. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
3. Who does Grendel scream for but does not help him get away from the bull?
4. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard?
5. How long has the speaker been at war?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)