|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the word used to denote the king's followers?
2. What is the creature's name?
3. In Chapter 7, who calms the argument between Unferth and another thane?
4. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel?
(a) A battle-ax
(b) A shield
(c) A spear
(d) A knife
5. The dragon's final advice is?
(a) To seek gold and sit on it
(b) To kill all men
(c) To leave the village
(d) To capture the queen
6. Who do the people pray too?
(d) Sticks and stones
7. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
(a) By trying to nurse him
(b) By singing to him
(c) By making him food
(d) By healing his wounds
8. In Chapter 10, What does Hengest take from Finn?
(a) His queen and his treasure
(b) His bear
(c) His boats
(d) His weapons
9. Who is the creature's only friend?
(a) His mother
(c) His shadow
(d) The firesnakes
10. How long are the dragon's talons?
(a) Tree size
(c) A foot long
(d) Short and stubby
11. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
(a) That the women aren't killed also
(b) The smell of blood
(c) Not being able to participate
(d) The waste of dead animals and men
12. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
13. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
(a) He accidentally stole the dragon's gold
(b) The dragon charmed him
(c) The dragon gave him a jewel
(d) The dragon cursed him
14. Grendel compares talking to what?
(c) A coffin
15. How old is Hrothgar when Grendel decides to destroy him?
(a) A teenager
(b) An old, old man
(c) A baby
(d) A young king
Short Answer Questions
1. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk?
2. Which craftsman has a special place in the village?
3. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
4. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
5. What does Grendel see for the first time the night he hangs in the tree?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)