|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language do the men speak?
(a) The same as Grendel
2. In Chapter 9, what does Grendel do to the priests?
(a) Hangs them in trees
(b) Eats them
(d) Takes them back to their hut
3. What is an adder?
(a) A tree
(b) A fish
(c) A singer
(d) A snake
4. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
(a) His mother scratches him
(b) He hits himself with a knife
(c) He steps on a spearhead
(d) A guard attacks him
5. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is old
(b) Because he is wounded
(c) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
(d) Because he has traveled a far distance
6. What does Grendel call the words of the blind man?
(a) Beautiful songs
7. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
(a) Grendel kills it
(b) Hrothgar has it killed for food
(c) Hymgod looses it
(d) It runs away
8. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
(a) By twisting from the horn
(b) His mother helps him
(c) By killing it
(d) By capturing the bull
9. What three things does the dragon know?
(a) Beginning, present, end
(b) Secrets of the men, of the gods, of the animals
(c) Men speech, animal speech, dragon speech
(d) Truth, lies, men's words
10. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
(d) He never goes outside
11. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) Deeper into the mountains
(b) To his cave
(c) Across the sea
(d) To the Dragon
12. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
(a) Bite off her head
(b) Throw her to the firesnakes
(c) Tear her limbs off
(d) Roast her over the fire
13. Which craftsman has a special place in the village?
(a) Gold workers
14. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The dragon's cave
(b) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(c) The circle of gods
(d) The eaves of the forest
15. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
(c) Men to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
2. How many men does Grendel kill on his first raid?
3. What does Grendel call Unferth?
4. In Chapter 10, why does Hengest kill Finn?
5. The dragon's final advice is?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)