|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The eaves of the forest
(b) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(c) The circle of gods
(d) The dragon's cave
2. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
(a) By making him food
(b) By singing to him
(c) By healing his wounds
(d) By trying to nurse him
3. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard?
(a) Throws him off a cliff
(b) Tears his arms off
(c) Takes him back to his mother
(d) Bites his head off
4. What does the pool of fire snakes protect?
(a) Grendel's treasure
(b) A sunken door
(c) The dragon's cave
(d) The dragon's treasure
5. What is the dragon sitting on?
(a) A pile of bones
(b) A pile of kingly robes
(c) A throne
(d) A huge pile of gold, jewels, treasure
6. What do the men think Grendel is?
(a) A bear
(b) A bull
(c) A tree fungus
(d) A monster
7. What advice does the dragon give Grendel?
(a) To kill Hrothgar
(b) To seek out gold
(c) To move away
(d) To devour the queen
8. In Chapter 9, what does Grendel do to the priests?
(a) Hangs them in trees
(b) Takes them back to their hut
(d) Eats them
9. What animal is the speaker shooing away?
10. Where are criminals sent to live?
(a) An island
(b) A cave
(c) The forest
(d) The mountains
11. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
(a) A black tree with a double trunk
(d) His own death
12. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
13. What Biblical stories does the harper sing of?
(a) The Flood
(b) Creation and Cain and Abel
(d) Jonah and the Whale
14. What does Hrothgar think Grendel is hanging from the tree?
(a) A bear
(b) A man
(c) An oak-tree spirit
(d) A cave troll
15. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
(a) A great mead hall
(b) A statue of himself
(d) A gold throne
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective does Grendel use to describe his war?
2. Where does Grendel go at the end of Chapter Four?
3. What does the Shaper sing of that upsets Grendel?
4. How long has the speaker been at war?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)