|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does Grendel wander outside?
(c) He never goes outside
2. In Chapter 7, what is Wealtheow's hair color?
3. What do the men think Grendel is?
(a) A bull
(b) A bear
(c) A tree fungus
(d) A monster
4. How many days later does Unferth seek out Grendel's cave?
5. How old is Hrothgar when Grendel decides to destroy him?
(a) A baby
(b) A young king
(c) A teenager
(d) An old, old man
6. In what part of his body is Hrothgar sick?
(d) His soul
7. The dragon's final advice is?
(a) To seek gold and sit on it
(b) To leave the village
(c) To kill all men
(d) To capture the queen
8. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he has traveled a far distance
(b) Because he is old
(c) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
(d) Because he is wounded
9. Who does the blind man sing of?
10. Who is the creature's only friend?
(a) His mother
(b) His shadow
(d) The firesnakes
11. Where does the dragon live?
(a) In an abandoned hall
(b) A cave in the mountains
(c) Beneath the lake
(d) A nest in the forest
12. What does the Chinaman keep caged?
(a) A snake
(b) A spider
(c) A cricket
(d) A bird
13. What does Grendel call the bard in the hall?
(b) The Liar
(c) The Shaper
14. What Biblical stories does the harper sing of?
(a) Creation and Cain and Abel
(c) Jonah and the Whale
(d) The Flood
15. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard?
(a) Bites his head off
(b) Tears his arms off
(c) Throws him off a cliff
(d) Takes him back to his mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are criminals sent to live?
2. What does the pool of fire snakes protect?
3. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
4. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
5. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)