|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel find in the woods while circling the hall?
(a) A pile of treasure
(c) A store of weapons
(d) A dead man
2. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
(a) The waste of dead animals and men
(b) That the women aren't killed also
(c) Not being able to participate
(d) The smell of blood
3. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
(a) Capture her for his mother
(b) Feed her to the firesnakes
(c) Marry her
(d) Kill her
4. How old is Hrothgar when Grendel decides to destroy him?
(a) A young king
(b) A baby
(c) A teenager
(d) An old, old man
5. In Chapter 7, who calms the argument between Unferth and another thane?
6. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
7. What is the creature's name?
8. Who leaves Hrothgar's hall unimpressed by the blind man's words?
(a) The old Shaper
9. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
(a) His mother scratches him
(b) He steps on a spearhead
(c) A guard attacks him
(d) He hits himself with a knife
10. The dragon says Grendel looks just like what when he is scared?
(a) A woman
(b) A rabbit
(c) A man
(d) A small child
11. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
12. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
(a) A gold throne
(b) A great mead hall
(d) A statue of himself
13. In Chapter 8, who does Hrothgar intend to give to Ingeld to support a truce?
14. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
15. What does Grendel do to Hrothgar's guard?
(a) Bites his head off
(b) Takes him back to his mother
(c) Throws him off a cliff
(d) Tears his arms off
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Shaper sing of that upsets Grendel?
2. Grendel compares talking to what?
3. Who is the thane who boldly opposes Grendel?
4. What does Grendel call the words of the blind man?
5. What do the people do with the remains?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)