|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Unferth's father?
(c) The Shaper
2. In Chapter 7, Grendel counts his blessings but they are all numbered how?
(b) One through four
(c) One through five
3. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
(a) His wife
(b) His sons
(c) His brother
(d) His father
4. In Chapter 12, Who does Grendel call out for in the middle of battle?
(a) His mother
5. What does the Chinaman keep caged?
(a) A snake
(b) A spider
(c) A bird
(d) A cricket
6. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
(a) The dragon charmed him
(b) The dragon gave him a jewel
(c) He accidentally stole the dragon's gold
(d) The dragon cursed him
7. Where are criminals sent to live?
(a) An island
(b) A cave
(c) The forest
(d) The mountains
8. Who comes to finally help Grendel?
(b) The Dragon
(c) The shaper
(d) His mother
9. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is wounded
(b) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
(c) Because he has traveled a far distance
(d) Because he is old
10. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
(a) They thank him
(b) They attack him
(c) They welcome him
(d) They do not see him
11. What is the dragon sitting on?
(a) A throne
(b) A huge pile of gold, jewels, treasure
(c) A pile of kingly robes
(d) A pile of bones
12. Who is the creature's only friend?
(a) His shadow
(b) The firesnakes
(c) His mother
13. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
(a) A statue of himself
(b) A great mead hall
(d) A gold throne
14. What does Grendel throw at Unferth?
15. Grendel compares talking to what?
(a) A coffin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel want to know that the dragon won't answer?
2. Who is the woman the creature killed long ago?
3. Who leaves Hrothgar's hall unimpressed by the blind man's words?
4. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
5. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)