|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the bull attack Grendel?
(a) Grendel tried to kill it
(b) Its calf is close by
(c) It is hungry
(d) All animals hate Grendel
2. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
(a) He steps on a spearhead
(b) A guard attacks him
(c) His mother scratches him
(d) He hits himself with a knife
3. Who leaves Hrothgar's hall unimpressed by the blind man's words?
(a) The old Shaper
4. What is the name of Hrothgar's hall?
(a) Hrothgar's Throne
(b) Golden Hall
(c) The Great Hall
5. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
(a) The firesnakes
(b) The dragon's
(c) The devil's
(d) The cursed race or Cain's
6. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
(a) That the women aren't killed also
(b) Not being able to participate
(c) The waste of dead animals and men
(d) The smell of blood
7. How does Grendel's mother comfort him?
(a) By singing to him
(b) By trying to nurse him
(c) By making him food
(d) By healing his wounds
8. What does Grendel say Hrothgar's sons would do with their father's gold?
(a) Divide it evenly
(b) Weigh it in their minds
(c) Give it all away
(d) Spend it
9. Which craftsman has a special place in the village?
(c) Gold workers
10. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
(b) Men to eat
11. Where are criminals sent to live?
(a) The forest
(b) An island
(c) A cave
(d) The mountains
12. The speaker says it is the "disfigured son of" what?
(d) The Devil
13. The dragon's great ambition is to?
(a) Kill Grendel
(b) Burn down Hart
(c) Count all his treasure
(d) Kill Hrothgar
14. Who do the people pray too?
(a) Sticks and stones
15. What does Grendel ultimately do to the outlawed men?
(a) Drowns them in the lake
(b) Brings them to his mother
(c) Hangs them in trees
(d) Eat them
Short Answer Questions
1. Grendel compares the ram to what?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Unferth say he will do since Grendel refuse to kill him?
3. What advice does the dragon give Grendel?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Grendel do to the priests?
5. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)