|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things does the dragon know?
(a) Secrets of the men, of the gods, and of the animals.
(b) Beginning, present, and end.
(c) Men speech, animal speech, and dragon speech.
(d) Truth, lies, and men's words.
2. What do the men think Grendel is in Chapter 2?
(a) A tree fungus.
(b) A bear.
(c) A bull.
(d) A monster.
3. What do the men think Grendel's blood is in Chapter 2?
(c) Bull's blood.
4. What is the dragon's final advice to Grendel in Chapter 5?
(a) To leave the village.
(b) To seek gold and sit on it.
(c) To capture the queen.
(d) To kill all men.
5. How old is Hrothgar when Grendel decides to destroy him?
(a) An old, old man.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A baby.
(d) A young king.
6. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The top of Hrothgar's hall.
(b) The dragon's cave.
(c) The eaves of the forest.
(d) The circle of gods.
7. How many tribes does Hrothgar make treaties with?
8. Grendel compares the ram to what?
(b) His mother.
(c) A slow-witted king.
(d) The Shaper.
9. What does Grendel throw at Unferth in Chapter 6?
10. What does Grendel do with the corpse in Chapter 4?
(a) Buries it.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Gives it to his mother.
(d) Takes it to the hall.
11. Who is Grendel’s only friend?
(a) His shadow.
(b) His mother.
(d) The firesnakes.
12. What is the narrator’s name?
13. What do the people do with the remains of those killed by Grendel in Chapter 1?
(a) Hang them in trees.
(b) Bury them.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Throw them in the sea.
14. What has Hrothgar constructed out of pride?
(a) A great mead hall.
(b) A statue of himself.
(d) A gold throne.
15. Where is Grendel going when he leaves his home in Chapter 1?
(a) The moors.
(b) The forest.
(c) The mountains.
(d) Hrothgar's Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk in Chapter 6?
2. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him in Chapter 2?
3. Who comes to finally help Grendel in Chapter 2?
4. What is an adder?
5. What did Hrothgar build on his hill out of stone?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)