|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long are the dragon's talons?
(a) Tree size
(c) A foot long
(d) Short and stubby
2. What does the Shaper sing of that upsets Grendel?
(d) Grendel's mother
3. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
(a) A twelve foot seam opens
(b) A volcano erupts
(c) The Hall crumbles
(d) The earth quakes
4. What does the Chinaman keep caged?
(a) A spider
(b) A bird
(c) A snake
(d) A cricket
5. What does Grendel call Unferth?
(a) A coward
(b) A baby
(c) A poor jangler
(d) A girl
6. What does Grendel discover after leaving the dragon?
(a) He accidentally stole the dragon's gold
(b) The dragon charmed him
(c) The dragon cursed him
(d) The dragon gave him a jewel
7. How many men does Grendel kill on his first raid?
8. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
(a) To war in the spring
(b) A truce
9. How do the men treat Grendel when he brings the corpse to them?
(a) They thank him
(b) They attack him
(c) They do not see him
(d) They welcome him
10. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
(a) His mother scratches him
(b) He steps on a spearhead
(c) A guard attacks him
(d) He hits himself with a knife
11. In Chapter 11, what does Hrothgar call the lead stranger that upsets several people in the hall?
(a) His savior
(b) His brother
(c) A son
(d) His favorite
12. What does Grendel do with Unferth when he comes to the cave?
(a) Takes him back to Hrothgar's hall
(b) Feeds him to the firesnakes
(c) Eats him
(d) Leaves him for his mother
13. Why does the bull attack Grendel?
(a) Grendel tried to kill it
(b) It is hungry
(c) Its calf is close by
(d) All animals hate Grendel
14. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
(a) He is alone
(b) He has not fun
(c) His mother wants to come along
(d) He is always hungry for more
15. What does Hrothgar throw at Grendel?
(a) A spear
(b) A battle-ax
(c) A shield
(d) A knife
Short Answer Questions
1. What sickens Grendel about the battles?
2. In Chapter 7, who calms the argument between Unferth and another thane?
3. In Chapter 10, why does Hengest kill Finn?
4. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
5. The dragon's great ambition is to?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)