|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Unferth's father?
(b) The Shaper
2. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
(a) Feed her to the firesnakes
(b) Kill her
(c) Capture her for his mother
(d) Marry her
3. What adjective does Grendel use to describe his war?
4. What does Grendel take from Hrothgar's Hall?
(d) Men to eat
5. How long has the speaker been at war?
(a) Ten years
(b) Twelve years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Fifteen years
6. What is the word used to denote the king's followers?
7. Grendel compares talking to what?
(b) A coffin
8. In Chapter 8, Ingeld is the ruler of who?
(a) The Scyldings
(b) The Geats
(c) The Heathobards
(d) The Danes
9. How does Grendel initially feel about the part in Hart?
(a) He is swept up in it
(b) He wants to devour everyone
(c) He wants some food
(d) He does not like the music
10. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
(a) He is always hungry for more
(b) He is alone
(c) His mother wants to come along
(d) He has not fun
11. Where does the dragon live?
(a) A cave in the mountains
(b) Beneath the lake
(c) In an abandoned hall
(d) A nest in the forest
12. How does Grendel discover that he cannot be harmed by weapons?
(a) He hits himself with a knife
(b) His mother scratches him
(c) A guard attacks him
(d) He steps on a spearhead
13. How does Grendel avoid the bull?
(a) By killing it
(b) By capturing the bull
(c) His mother helps him
(d) By twisting from the horn
14. What can no longer harm Grendel?
(a) Other animals
(b) The firesnakes
15. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is wounded
(b) Because he is old
(c) Because he has traveled a far distance
(d) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
2. Grendel thinks that the stranger is what?
3. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him?
4. What scent pervades the hall as Unferth and Grendel talk?
5. What do the men think Grendel is?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)