|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grendel sit to watch the mens' activities?
(a) The top of Hrothgar's hall
(b) The eaves of the forest
(c) The circle of gods
(d) The dragon's cave
2. What time of year is it when Grendel begins his war with Hrothgar?
3. Where does Grendel live?
(a) In a nest in the woods
(b) In a hole in the ground
(c) In an underground cavern
(d) In a mountain cave
4. What can no longer harm Grendel?
(a) The firesnakes
(d) Other animals
5. What is the downside of Grendel's new power?
(a) He is alone
(b) His mother wants to come along
(c) He has not fun
(d) He is always hungry for more
6. How long are the dragon's talons?
(b) Short and stubby
(c) A foot long
(d) Tree size
7. What happens when Grendel strikes the ground?
(a) The earth quakes
(b) The Hall crumbles
(c) A volcano erupts
(d) A twelve foot seam opens
8. What language do the men speak?
(c) The same as Grendel
9. In Chapter 11, what does Grendel call the strangers in their armor?
(a) Fat cows
(b) Silly men
(c) Shiny bulls
(d) Stupid bears
10. What is Grendel caught in when the bull charges him?
(a) An old tree
(b) A trap
(c) A stone wall
(d) A rabbit hole
11. What does the Chinaman keep caged?
(a) A cricket
(b) A spider
(c) A bird
(d) A snake
12. The dragon's final advice is?
(a) To leave the village
(b) To seek gold and sit on it
(c) To kill all men
(d) To capture the queen
13. How many days later does Unferth seek out Grendel's cave?
14. What do the people do with the remains?
(a) Hang them in trees
(b) Throw them in the sea
(c) Bury them
(d) Burn them
15. Why is Unferth so weak?
(a) Because he is old
(b) Because he is wounded
(c) Because he has traveled a far distance
(d) Because the journey into the cave is difficult
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Unferth say he will do since Grendel refuse to kill him?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
3. Which race does the harper say creatures like Grendel come from?
4. What three things does the dragon know?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Grendel resolve to do to the queen?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)