|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy Dion unafraid to appear in?
2. What kind of people does Dion's father think college turns out?
3. Why does Billy say he has moved offices?
4. What is the name of the book Dion is reading from?
5. What two items of furniture has Cybel added to the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy hide Dion's death from Margaret?
2. Describe Billy's office.
3. Summarize Act 2, Scene 1.
4. Why does Dion think Billy needs him?
5. What does Billy confide to Dion's mask?
6. How does Cybel deceive Billy in this scene?
7. What does the man tell Billy about the plan the firm have developed for his house?
8. How does Cybel change her appearance when Billy rings her doorbell?
9. What do Margaret's three boys argue about on the pier?
10. Summarize Act 3, Scene 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eugene O'Neill greatly influenced modern literature and in particular modern theater. Choose a book that you think was influenced by THE GREAT GOD BROWN and discuss its similarities with the play in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
How did Eugene O'Neill view the 1920s? What impact did his ideas have on American society? Has his impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1920s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)