|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of furniture lies to the right of the desk?
2. What is the setting of Scene 1?
3. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
4. What does Billy compare his singing voice to?
5. Who does Dion call an ancient humorist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Margaret's three boys argue about on the pier?
2. How does Billy hide Dion's death from Margaret?
3. Why does Dion refer to himself in the third person in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Why does Billy say he wants Dion to work for him?
5. Summarize the play.
6. What does Margaret tell Dion about Billy?
7. What does the Brown family talk about?
8. Why is Mr. Brown angry at his business partner, Mr. Anthony?
9. How does Billy react to the mask taunting him?
10. Summarize Act 1, Scene 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Eugene O'Neill greatly influenced modern literature and in particular modern theater. Choose a book that you think was influenced by THE GREAT GOD BROWN and discuss its similarities with the play in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)