|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Estella say her family feels about Pip when she sees him in London?
2. How many other men and women are sentenced to death on the day Magwitch is sentenced to death?
3. Who writes the letter asking to meet Pip on the marshes?
4. Where does Herbert want to go on vacation?
5. Who does Pip meet at the Blue Boar when he goes to see Miss Havisham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
2. What does Pip do to entertain himself after he chooses to not take any more of Magwitch's money?
3. What does Pip learn when he tries to find Biddy at her school?
4. What does Pip learn when he wakes up after being arrested?
5. What does Mr. Jaggers tell Pip about Estella as they drive to dinner together?
6. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
7. What disturbing news does Pip hear while at a club meeting?
8. About what does Pip confront Estella and Miss Havisham?
9. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
10. What does Magwitch ask of Pip when he is captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)