|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his visit to Newgate, where does Pip see Estella?
2. Who is eating a large meal in Joe's house when Pip comes home from London?
3. How is the room on the marshes lit when Pip gets there?
4. Who is Estella's father?
5. When is Pip supposed to meet with Mr. Jaggers for an important appointment?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Drummle brag when he sees Pip at the Blue Boar?
2. What will happen to Magwitch if he is caught in England, and why?
3. How does Mr. Wemmick treat his maid?
4. What kind of a funeral does Joe want to have for his wife, and why does he not do it that way?
5. What happens just as Pip is about to leave Miss Havisham's house for the last time?
6. Into what kind of trouble does Herbert start to get himself, and how can Pip help him?
7. What does Magwitch ask of Pip when he is captured?
8. What does Pip do to entertain himself after he chooses to not take any more of Magwitch's money?
9. What does Magwtich tell Herbert after Herbert swears his secrecy?
10. What does Mr. Jaggers tell Pip about Estella as they drive to dinner together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)