|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Estella say her family feels about Pip when she sees him in London?
2. What is the name of Wemmick's house?
3. What club does Pip decide to join?
4. What is Magwitch's pseudonym?
5. How many other men and women are sentenced to death on the day Magwitch is sentenced to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a funeral does Joe want to have for his wife, and why does he not do it that way?
2. About what does Drummle brag when he sees Pip at the Blue Boar?
3. For whom is Herbert going to be working, and what will he be doing?
4. What does Pip do to entertain himself after he chooses to not take any more of Magwitch's money?
5. What does Magwtich tell Herbert after Herbert swears his secrecy?
6. Why does Mr. Wemmick visit Newgate with Pip?
7. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
8. What kind of injuries does Magwitch sustain when he is arrested?
9. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
10. Where is Pip living at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout this book. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Jaggers and Mr. Wemmick are two characters who are very similar in their professional vocations, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)