|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Magwitch stay while he is in London?
2. For whom is Herbert going to work?
3. How many other men and women are sentenced to death on the day Magwitch is sentenced to death?
4. Who sees Compeyson at a theater?
5. Of what is Jaggers's maid accused?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a funeral does Joe want to have for his wife, and why does he not do it that way?
2. What happens just as Pip is about to leave Miss Havisham's house for the last time?
3. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
4. How is Pip nursed back to health after the fire at Miss Havisham's house?
5. How does Magwitch describe the odd jobs he takes to get by when he is younger?
6. Describe Mr. Wopsle's first play as an actor.
7. What does Mr. Wemmick tell Pip when he returns to London and questions Mr. Wemmick about the note left on Miss Havisham's gate?
8. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
9. What does Magwitch ask of Pip when he is captured?
10. What will happen to Magwitch if he is caught in England, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pip endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)