|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Pip request in order to help Herbert?
2. Who is dating Estella while Pip is living in London?
3. For whom is Herbert going to work?
4. Where is Pip when he hears the news about who Estella is courting?
5. What does Pip do after seeing Mr. Wopsle in his first role as an actor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Wemmick treat his maid?
2. Into what kind of trouble does Herbert start to get himself, and how can Pip help him?
3. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
4. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
5. About what does Pip confront Estella and Miss Havisham?
6. Why is Magwitch not tried immediately after he arrested?
7. What does Estella tell Pip when she sees him in London?
8. What does Mr. Wemmick tell Pip when he returns to London and questions Mr. Wemmick about the note left on Miss Havisham's gate?
9. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
10. What disturbing news does Pip hear while at a club meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations throughout the book. How do their goals affect the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Pip endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout this book. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)