|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Estella's daughter?
2. What does Pip do to make money when he decides not to take any more of Magwitch's money?
3. What profession does Pip pursue at the end of the book?
4. How does Pip plan to get on board the big ship heading abroad?
5. Who is dating Estella while Pip is living in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Wemmick visit Newgate with Pip?
2. What kind of injuries does Magwitch sustain when he is arrested?
3. What disturbing news does Pip hear while at a club meeting?
4. What does Magwitch ask of Pip when he is captured?
5. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
6. What will happen to Magwitch if he is caught in England, and why?
7. Where is Pip living at the end of the book?
8. About what does Drummle brag when he sees Pip at the Blue Boar?
9. How does Magwitch describe the odd jobs he takes to get by when he is younger?
10. What does Mr. Jaggers tell Pip about Estella as they drive to dinner together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)