|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the truth about Estella's birth not become generally known?
2. What is the name of Estella's daughter?
3. From what does Arthur die?
4. With what does Miss Havisham say she replaced Estella's heart?
5. Where does Pip know he needs to take Magwitch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to Magwitch if he is caught in England, and why?
2. Describe Mr. Wopsle's first play as an actor.
3. What does Pip learn when he wakes up after being arrested?
4. What does Magwtich tell Herbert after Herbert swears his secrecy?
5. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
6. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
7. Why does Mr. Wemmick visit Newgate with Pip?
8. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
9. How does Mr. Wemmick treat his maid?
10. What happens to the convict after Pip helps him on the marshes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Jaggers and Mr. Wemmick are two characters who are very similar in their professional vocations, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)