|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pip plan to get on board the big ship heading abroad?
2. Why is Estella adopted?
3. Who is Estella's father?
4. What does Miss Havisham say she has no right to be?
5. Why does Magwitch say he must leave the country earlier than expected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip learn when he tries to find Biddy at her school?
2. How is Pip nursed back to health after the fire at Miss Havisham's house?
3. What kind of injuries does Magwitch sustain when he is arrested?
4. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
5. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
6. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
7. Why does Mr. Wemmick visit Newgate with Pip?
8. Where is Pip living at the end of the book?
9. What does Magwtich tell Herbert after Herbert swears his secrecy?
10. What happens to the convict after Pip helps him on the marshes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Jaggers and Mr. Wemmick are two characters who are very similar in their professional vocations, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)