|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Herbert want to go on vacation?
2. From what does Arthur die?
3. For what does Pip reproach Estella when they are alone in London?
4. What is Pip's allowance?
5. How long is Pip gone before visiting Joe again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what kind of trouble does Herbert start to get himself, and how can Pip help him?
2. What does Pip learn when he tries to find Biddy at her school?
3. What does Magwitch ask of Pip when he is captured?
4. How does Magwitch describe the odd jobs he takes to get by when he is younger?
5. Where is Pip living at the end of the book?
6. What will happen to Magwitch if he is caught in England, and why?
7. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
8. What does Pip do to entertain himself after he chooses to not take any more of Magwitch's money?
9. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
10. What does Mr. Wemmick tell Pip when he returns to London and questions Mr. Wemmick about the note left on Miss Havisham's gate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
How does Pip's relationship with Estella change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)