|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Havisham say she has no right to be?
2. Who does Pip meet at the Blue Boar when he goes to see Miss Havisham?
3. Who does Pip see at Miss Havisham's house at the end of the book?
4. Who nurses Pip back to health after the fire at Miss Havisham's house?
5. Who writes to Pip after he sees Mr. Wopsle in his first play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of injuries does Magwitch sustain when he is arrested?
2. About what does Drummle brag when he sees Pip at the Blue Boar?
3. Where is Pip living at the end of the book?
4. What does Mr. Jaggers tell Pip about Estella as they drive to dinner together?
5. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
6. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
7. Describe Mr. Wopsle's first play as an actor.
8. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
9. What does Pip learn when he wakes up after being arrested?
10. How does Magwitch describe the odd jobs he takes to get by when he is younger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)