|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pip's benefactor?
2. Who wants to murder Magwitch?
3. What disguise does Magwitch use when he and Pip attempt to board the ship heading abroad?
4. Where does Magwitch stay while he is in London?
5. Why is Pip arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
2. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
3. Into what kind of trouble does Herbert start to get himself, and how can Pip help him?
4. How does Magwitch describe the odd jobs he takes to get by when he is younger?
5. What kind of a funeral does Joe want to have for his wife, and why does he not do it that way?
6. Why is Magwitch not tried immediately after he arrested?
7. How does Mr. Wemmick treat his maid?
8. What does Pip do to entertain himself after he chooses to not take any more of Magwitch's money?
9. What does Estella tell Pip when she sees him in London?
10. About what does Drummle brag when he sees Pip at the Blue Boar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pip's relationship with Estella change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Pip endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)