|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the truth about Estella's birth not become generally known?
2. Where is Magwitch taken after he is arrested?
3. Where does Pip wake up after his being arrested?
4. Who wants to murder Magwitch?
5. What club does Pip decide to join?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbing news does Pip hear while at a club meeting?
2. What does Pip do to entertain himself after he chooses to not take any more of Magwitch's money?
3. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
4. What does Magwtich tell Herbert after Herbert swears his secrecy?
5. What does Magwitch ask of Pip when he is captured?
6. Into what kind of trouble does Herbert start to get himself, and how can Pip help him?
7. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
8. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
9. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
10. Describe Mr. Wopsle's first play as an actor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout this book. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Pip endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)