|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shows up at the doorstep during the Gargery's Christmas dinner?
(c) The Constable.
2. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
(a) He does not have time to tell him.
(b) He does not want Joe to get in trouble.
(c) He is afraid of being punished.
(d) He does not want to lose Joe's esteem.
3. Where does Joe put Pip's indenture papers after hearing about Pip's strange new fortune?
(a) The fire.
(b) The dung heap.
(c) A frame.
(d) In his mattress.
4. What is Pip's Christian name?
5. What is the name of the young lady Pip meets at Miss Havisham's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is peculiar about the younger convict who Pip sees?
2. What does the lawyer in the tavern tell Pip he must call himself in order to capitalize on his strange fortune?
3. Why does Pip not want to stay at the Pocket's house?
4. What is Jaggers doing when Pip goes to ask him for some money for furniture?
5. What is the name of the tailor where Pip gets his first suit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
2. Why does Pip see Orlick at Miss Havisham's estate?
3. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
4. What is Mr. Wemmick like when he leaves work?
5. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
6. What does the escaped convict say to Pip when they first meet?
7. What does Pip do on his first visit to Miss Havisham's house that leads Estella to scorn him?
8. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
9. How does Mr. Jaggers embarrass Mr. Wopsle in the tavern?
10. Towards what profession is Pip's education leading when he first visits with Mattew Pocket?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)