|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
2. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
3. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
4. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
5. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
2. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
3. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
4. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
5. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
6. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
9. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
10. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)