|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
2. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
3. Who gives the travelers directions?
4. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
5. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally halts the travelers?
2. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
3. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
4. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
5. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
6. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
7. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
8. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
9. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
10. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)