|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
2. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
3. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
4. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
5. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
2. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
3. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
4. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
5. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
6. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
7. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
8. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
9. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
10. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tolstoy see marriage? Analyze marriages in three stories, and describe the uses, benefits and disadvantages of marriage in Tolstoy's writing.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)