|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the travelers directions?
2. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
3. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
4. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
5. Where is Murad fleeing to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
2. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
3. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
4. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
5. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
6. Describe Stepan Kasatsky's relationship with Countess Korotkova.
7. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
8. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
9. What finally halts the travelers?
10. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 2
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tolstoy see marriage? Analyze marriages in three stories, and describe the uses, benefits and disadvantages of marriage in Tolstoy's writing.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)