|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
2. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
3. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
4. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
5. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
2. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
3. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
4. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
5. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
6. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
7. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
8. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
9. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
10. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the essential "Russianness" in Tolstoy's stories? Describe it in three of his short stories. Does Tolstoy show it by contrast with other cultures, or by description, or some other means?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Based on evidence from three stories of your choice, describe Tolstoy's view of religion and spirituality. What kind of God does Tolstoy invoke in his stories? What religion informs this divinity?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)