|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
2. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
3. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
4. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
5. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of Tolstoy's characters learn and grow, but some, like Ivan Ilych's wife, remain consistently bound to their temperament. Analyzing characters who are bound by temperament, assess the theory of temperament in Tolstoy's writing. Are people free to develop, or are they bound by their characters, in Tolstoy's opinion?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories instructional, and what are they teaching? Describe the educational value of three of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 3
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)