|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
2. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
3. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
4. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
5. Who is Nikita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
2. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
3. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
4. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
5. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
6. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
7. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
8. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
9. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
10. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories instructional, and what are they teaching? Describe the educational value of three of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)