|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
2. Who is Nikita?
3. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
4. Who gives the travelers directions?
5. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
2. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
3. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
4. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
5. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
6. Describe Stepan Kasatsky's relationship with Countess Korotkova.
7. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
8. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
9. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
10. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)