|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
2. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
3. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
4. What desire did Pozdnyshev's wife have, which doctors frustrated?
5. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
2. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
3. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
4. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
5. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
6. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
7. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
8. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
9. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
10. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolstoy see marriage? Analyze marriages in three stories, and describe the uses, benefits and disadvantages of marriage in Tolstoy's writing.
Essay Topic 3
Based on evidence from three stories of your choice, describe Tolstoy's view of religion and spirituality. What kind of God does Tolstoy invoke in his stories? What religion informs this divinity?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)