|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
2. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
3. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
4. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
5. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of Tolstoy's characters learn and grow, but some, like Ivan Ilych's wife, remain consistently bound to their temperament. Analyzing characters who are bound by temperament, assess the theory of temperament in Tolstoy's writing. Are people free to develop, or are they bound by their characters, in Tolstoy's opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)