|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
2. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
3. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
4. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
5. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
2. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
3. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
4. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
5. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
6. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
7. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
8. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
9. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
10. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)