|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
2. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
3. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
4. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
5. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
2. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
3. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
4. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
5. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
6. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
7. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
8. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
9. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
10. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
Essay Topic 2
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)