|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
2. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
3. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
4. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally halts the travelers?
2. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
3. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
4. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
5. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
6. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
7. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
8. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
9. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
10. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)