|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
2. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
3. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
4. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
5. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
4. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
5. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
6. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
7. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
8. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
9. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
10. What finally halts the travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
Essay Topic 2
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories instructional, and what are they teaching? Describe the educational value of three of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)