|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
2. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
3. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
4. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
4. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
5. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
6. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
7. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
8. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
9. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
10. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Some of Tolstoy's characters learn and grow, but some, like Ivan Ilych's wife, remain consistently bound to their temperament. Analyzing characters who are bound by temperament, assess the theory of temperament in Tolstoy's writing. Are people free to develop, or are they bound by their characters, in Tolstoy's opinion?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)