|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
2. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
3. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
4. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
5. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
2. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
3. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
4. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
5. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
6. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
7. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
8. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
9. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
10. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 2
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
Essay Topic 3
Some of Tolstoy's characters learn and grow, but some, like Ivan Ilych's wife, remain consistently bound to their temperament. Analyzing characters who are bound by temperament, assess the theory of temperament in Tolstoy's writing. Are people free to develop, or are they bound by their characters, in Tolstoy's opinion?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)