|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
2. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
3. Who is Mukhorty?
4. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
5. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally halts the travelers?
2. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
3. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
4. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
5. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
6. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
7. Describe Stepan Kasatsky's relationship with Countess Korotkova.
8. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
9. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
10. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)