|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mukhorty?
2. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
3. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
4. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
5. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
2. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
3. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
4. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
5. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
6. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
7. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
8. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
9. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
10. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 3
What is the essential "Russianness" in Tolstoy's stories? Describe it in three of his short stories. Does Tolstoy show it by contrast with other cultures, or by description, or some other means?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)