|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
2. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
3. Where is Murad fleeing to?
4. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
5. Who is Trukhachevsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
2. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
3. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
4. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
5. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
6. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
7. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
8. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
9. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
10. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 3
Some of Tolstoy's characters learn and grow, but some, like Ivan Ilych's wife, remain consistently bound to their temperament. Analyzing characters who are bound by temperament, assess the theory of temperament in Tolstoy's writing. Are people free to develop, or are they bound by their characters, in Tolstoy's opinion?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)