|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
2. Where is Murad fleeing to?
3. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
4. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
5. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
Essay Topic 1
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the essential "Russianness" in Tolstoy's stories? Describe it in three of his short stories. Does Tolstoy show it by contrast with other cultures, or by description, or some other means?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)