|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
2. Who is Trukhachevsky?
3. Who is Nikita?
4. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
5. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
2. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
3. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
4. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
5. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
6. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
7. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
8. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
9. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
10. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy treat the relationship between Russians and others--Chechen, Tartars, Cossacks, Turks? What make Russians Russian? What distinguishes them from the others, and what is the basis for hostility when there his hostility? What stance does Tolstoy take in presenting these relationships? (Sympathetic, critical, nationalistic?)
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)