|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
2. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
3. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
4. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
5. Who is Shamil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
2. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
3. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
4. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
5. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
6. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
7. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
8. What finally halts the travelers?
9. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
10. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
Essay Topic 3
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)