|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doest Stepan Kasatsky tell Countess Korotkova?
2. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
3. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
4. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
5. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
2. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
3. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
4. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
5. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
6. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
7. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
8. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
9. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
10. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories instructional, and what are they teaching? Describe the educational value of three of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 3
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)