|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
2. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
3. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
4. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
5. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
2. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
3. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
4. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
5. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
6. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
7. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
8. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
9. What finally halts the travelers?
10. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)