|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
2. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
3. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
4. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
5. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
2. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
3. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
4. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
5. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
6. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
9. What finally halts the travelers?
10. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)