|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
2. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
3. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
4. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
5. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 3
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)