|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
2. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
3. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
5. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
2. What finally halts the travelers?
3. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
4. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
5. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
6. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
7. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
8. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
9. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
10. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 3
What is the essential "Russianness" in Tolstoy's stories? Describe it in three of his short stories. Does Tolstoy show it by contrast with other cultures, or by description, or some other means?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)