|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Lust for women.
(b) Desire for money.
(c) Desire for easy city ways.
(d) Desire for power.
2. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He kills her.
(b) He vows to love her eternally.
(c) He confronts the other man.
(d) He breaks off the engagement.
3. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
(a) He wants to punish her for leading him astray.
(b) He wants to set things right with her.
(c) He wants to devote himself to her.
(d) She seems like a means to salvation for him.
4. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
5. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
(a) Move to the city.
(b) Kill himself.
(c) Cut off his finger.
(d) Move to the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
2. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
3. What town do the Russians ultimately destroy?
4. Who is Hadji Murad?
5. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
2. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
3. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
4. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
5. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
6. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
7. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
8. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
9. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
10. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)