|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A wealthy innkeeper.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A priest.
(d) A lawyer.
2. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they lose their way again.
(b) When Mukhorty is injured.
(c) When the sled breaks.
(d) When they get stuck in a ravine.
3. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
4. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To Petersburg.
(b) To a monastery.
(c) To Moscow.
(d) To the country.
5. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
(a) Stepan Kasatsky's father was an outstanding military officer.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's family was promoted to the nobility by Emperor Nicholas I.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky married an admiral's daughter.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky's mother was daughter of a high-ranking officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
2. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
3. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
4. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
5. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
4. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
5. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
6. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
7. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
8. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
9. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
10. What finally halts the travelers?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)