|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for power.
(b) Desire for easy city ways.
(c) Desire for money.
(d) Lust for women.
2. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
3. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
(a) He wants to punish her for leading him astray.
(b) He wants to devote himself to her.
(c) He wants to set things right with her.
(d) She seems like a means to salvation for him.
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
5. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) An adviser to the Tsar.
(b) The Tsar.
(c) Marya Dmitrievna.
(d) Prince Vorontsov.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
2. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
3. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
4. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
5. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
2. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
3. What finally halts the travelers?
4. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
5. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
6. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
9. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
10. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)