|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Carry on his affairs.
(c) Ignore his wife's affairs.
(d) Remain faithful.
2. Who was Countess Korotkova?
(a) A general's wife.
(b) The emperor's concubine.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's aunt.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky's mother's friend.
3. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When Mukhorty is injured.
(b) When they lose their way again.
(c) When the sled breaks.
(d) When they get stuck in a ravine.
4. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Lust for women.
(b) Desire for easy city ways.
(c) Desire for power.
(d) Desire for money.
5. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
(a) Move to the country.
(b) Cut off his finger.
(c) Move to the city.
(d) Kill himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
2. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
3. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
4. What town do the Russians ultimately destroy?
5. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
2. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
3. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
4. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
5. What does Hadji Murad hope to find when he reaches Russia?
6. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
7. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
8. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
9. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
10. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)