|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 2,300 rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 300 rubles.
(d) 3,000 rubles.
2. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
(a) His children's hate for him.
(b) His wife's illness.
(c) His wife's affairs.
(d) His wife's unhappiness.
3. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for power.
(b) Lust for women.
(c) Desire for easy city ways.
(d) Desire for money.
4. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
(a) He was arrested for vagrancy.
(b) He asked to be sent.
(c) He followed a woman there.
(d) He was arrested for treason.
5. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Countess Korotkova?
2. Where is Murad fleeing to?
3. Who is Trukhachevsky?
4. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
5. What town do the Russians ultimately destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
2. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
3. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
4. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
5. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
6. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
7. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
8. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
9. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
10. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)