|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a beast of burden.
(b) As a low criminal.
(c) As a family member.
(d) As a pet.
2. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(b) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
(c) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
(d) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
3. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Prince Vorontsov.
(b) Emperor Nicholas I.
(c) Marya Dmitrievna.
(d) Shamil's general.
4. Where is Murad fleeing to?
(a) The Caucasus.
(d) The Russian fort at Vozvizhensk.
5. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
(a) As swine.
(b) As thieves.
(c) As cutthroats.
(d) As traitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
2. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
3. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
4. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
5. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally halts the travelers?
2. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
3. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
4. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
5. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
6. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
7. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
8. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
9. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
10. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)