|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
(a) Use him against the Chechens.
(b) Use him to train anti-Chechen fighters.
(c) Send him to Siberia.
(d) Use him on the Western front.
2. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Emperor Nicholas I.
(c) Prince Vorontsov.
(d) Shamil's general.
3. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 20 years.
4. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His seat-mate.
(b) His cell-mate.
(c) A judge and jury.
5. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 1,500 rubles.
(b) 300 rubles.
(c) 3,000 rubles.
(d) 2,300 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
2. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
3. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
4. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
5. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
2. What is the event that precipitates Pozdnyshev's murder of his wife?
3. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
4. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
5. What are some possible morals for "Master and Man"?
6. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
7. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
8. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
9. How does Stepan acquire the name Father Sergius?
10. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)