|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) A judge and jury.
(c) His cell-mate.
(d) His seat-mate.
2. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) He read his wife's letters.
(b) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(c) A business trip.
(d) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
3. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for power.
(b) Lust for women.
(c) Desire for money.
(d) Desire for easy city ways.
4. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
5. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A carnal union.
(b) A practical, economic union.
(c) A passionate union.
(d) A spiritual union.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Murad fleeing to?
2. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
3. Who is Trukhachevsky?
4. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
5. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
2. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
3. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
4. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
5. What finally halts the travelers?
6. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
9. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
10. Describe Pozdnyshev's relation with his children.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)