|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What desire did Pozdnyshev's wife have, which doctors frustrated?
(a) To take a lover.
(b) To nurse her child.
(c) To take care of Pozdnyshev.
(d) To bear children.
2. Who gives the travelers directions?
(a) An innkeeper in Grishkino.
(b) A servant.
(c) A landowner in Goryachkin.
(d) A fellow traveler.
3. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Shamil's general.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) Emperor Nicholas I.
(d) Marya Dmitrievna.
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A practical, economic union.
(b) A carnal union.
(c) A spiritual union.
(d) A passionate union.
5. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
(a) Mukhorty needs medical attention.
(b) Vasili's mother is ill.
(c) Vasili wants to make a bid on some land there.
(d) Nikita's mother is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
2. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
3. Who is Nikita?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
5. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stepan Kasatsky' personality.
2. Why did Hadji Murad set out for Russia?
3. What causes Vasili Andreevich to set off for Goryachkin?
4. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
5. What did the Tsar decide with regard to Murad?
6. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
7. What does Tolstoy mean by ending the story with Marya Dmitrievna screaming 'you are all cutthroats'?
8. What finally halts the travelers?
9. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
10. What does Pozdnyshev realize as soon as he kills his wife?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)