|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
(b) He and his wife resume fighting.
(c) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
(d) He returns to his hometown.
2. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His brooding moods.
(b) His impassive good manners.
(c) His recklessness with money.
(d) His outgoing personality.
3. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He falls out of bed.
(b) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(c) He ceases to sleep.
(d) His teeth fall out.
4. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
(a) A Russian.
(b) A Turk.
(c) A Tartar.
(d) A Chechen.
5. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Vanyusha?
2. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
3. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
5. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
2. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
3. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
4. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
5. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
6. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
7. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
8. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
9. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
10. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)