|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Work the jail.
(b) Represent clients in the courts.
(c) Implement new laws.
(d) Root out corruption.
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To look for adventure.
(b) For a business deal.
(c) To escape from his debts.
(d) To serve the Tsar.
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) Escape from prison.
(b) A heroic future.
(c) Freedom from persecution.
(d) A life of ease.
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When he sees her baking bread.
(b) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(c) When he moves in with her family.
(d) At Beletsky's party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
2. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
3. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
4. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
5. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
4. What causes Marya's depression?
5. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)