|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As equals.
(b) As goddesses.
(c) As beasts of burden.
(d) As warriors.
2. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
(a) It makes her rhapsodic.
(b) It makes her oblivious.
(c) It makes her vulnerable.
(d) It makes her curious.
3. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 3,500 rubles a year.
(b) 1,500 rubles a year.
(c) 5,000 rubles a year.
(d) 2,000 rubles a year.
4. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
(a) To implement new laws.
(b) To care for his mother.
(c) To intervene in a conflict with the tenants.
(d) To see to some repairs.
5. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
2. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
3. What is the Semenov estate?
4. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
5. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
2. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
3. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
4. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
5. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
6. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
7. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
8. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
9. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
10. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)