|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) The birth of a daughter.
(c) He lost his health.
(d) He inherited his father's estate.
2. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
(c) Horse racing.
3. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her husband's death.
(b) Her brother's illness.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her father's drunkenness.
4. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
5. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As an intern.
(b) As a foot soldier.
(c) As a provincial magistrate.
(d) As a clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
2. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
3. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
4. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
5. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
2. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
3. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
4. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
5. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
6. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
7. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
10. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)