|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) A life of ease.
(b) Freedom from persecution.
(c) Escape from prison.
(d) A heroic future.
2. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
(a) Someone with money.
(c) Someone with a title.
(d) Liza Annenskaya.
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As goddesses.
(b) As warriors.
(c) As beasts of burden.
(d) As equals.
4. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A bureaucrat.
(b) A law school graduate.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A doctor.
5. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
2. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
3. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
4. How would you describe the nature Dmitri expects to find in the Caucasus?
5. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
2. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
3. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
4. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
5. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
6. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
7. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
10. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)