|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
(a) The absence of work and sacrifice.
(b) The continual work and sacrifice.
(c) The loss of privacy and self-possession.
(d) The new importance of self-sacrifice.
2. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
(a) Greater depression.
(b) A new kind of happiness.
(c) A sharp impatience.
(d) A deeper religious sense.
3. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a clerk.
(b) As a provincial magistrate.
(c) As an intern.
(d) As a foot soldier.
4. Who is Vanyusha?
(a) Dmitri's commanding officer.
(b) Dmitri's servant.
(c) Dmitri's brother.
(d) Dmitri's father.
5. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he cannot live without her.
(c) The she will not be able to live without him.
(d) That he hates her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
2. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
3. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
4. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
5. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
2. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
3. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
4. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
5. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
6. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
7. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
8. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
9. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
10. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)