|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Semenov estate?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's family's estate.
(b) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a lawyer.
(c) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a doctor.
(d) The estate where Eugene Irtenev's wife lives.
2. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
(a) As an afterthought.
(b) As a mother.
(c) As a nuisance.
(d) As a goddess.
3. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(a) Head over heels in love.
(b) Indifferent to each other.
(c) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
4. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
(a) It makes her curious.
(b) It makes her oblivious.
(c) It makes her rhapsodic.
(d) It makes her vulnerable.
5. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) The birth of a daughter.
(b) He lost his health.
(c) He inherited his father's estate.
(d) A miscarriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
2. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
3. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
4. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
5. Who does Marya live with at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
2. Describe the circumstances of Alyosha's death.
3. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
4. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
5. Why does Murad want to fight Shamil?
6. What effect does Trukhachevsky's arrival have on Pozdnyshev's marriage?
7. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
8. What causes Marya's depression?
9. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
10. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)