|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
2. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her brother's illness.
(b) Her father's drunkenness.
(c) Her husband's death.
(d) Her mother's death.
3. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
(a) Every day.
(b) Every night.
(d) Once a week.
4. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She does not look at him.
(b) She comes with him.
(c) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(d) She cries openly.
5. What is the significance of the Terek River?
(a) It is the heart of the Cossacks' territory.
(b) It is the boundary where Dmitri enters the Caucasus.
(c) It is the last civilized outpost before the wilderness.
(d) It is where the regional authorities are centered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
2. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
4. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
2. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
3. What causes Marya's depression?
4. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
5. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
6. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
7. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
10. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)