|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 5,000 rubles a year.
(b) 1,500 rubles a year.
(c) 3,500 rubles a year.
(d) 2,000 rubles a year.
2. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
(a) The absence of work and sacrifice.
(b) The new importance of self-sacrifice.
(c) The loss of privacy and self-possession.
(d) The continual work and sacrifice.
3. What is in Novomlinsk?
(a) Muslim Tartars.
(b) The Russian military outpost.
(c) The Turkish trading post.
(d) The center of the Grebensk Cossack settlement.
4. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(b) The country.
(d) The Caucasus.
5. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
(a) Ivan Ilych's sister.
(b) Ivan Ilych's mother.
(c) Ivan Ilych's wife.
(d) Ivan Ilych's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Terek River?
2. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
3. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
4. What is the Semenov estate?
5. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
2. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
3. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
4. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
5. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
6. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
7. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
8. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
9. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
10. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)