|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When he moves in with her family.
(b) When he sees her baking bread.
(c) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(d) At Beletsky's party.
2. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
(a) The she will not be able to live without him.
(b) That he cannot live without her.
(c) That he hates her.
(d) That he loves her.
3. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
(a) He works less and less and reads and becomes philosophical.
(b) He applies for a pension and retires.
(c) He still works, but it exhausts him.
(d) He sees doctor after doctor with no result.
4. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 5,000 rubles.
(b) 2,500 rubles.
(c) 1,500 rubles.
(d) 3,500 rubles.
5. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(b) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
(c) Fear of Lukashka.
(d) Fear of wild boars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
2. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
3. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
4. Who is Vanyusha?
5. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
2. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
3. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
4. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
5. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
6. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
7. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
10. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)