|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A friend of Marya's father's.
(b) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(c) A peasant.
(d) Marya's brother.
2. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her brother's illness.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her father's drunkenness.
(d) Her mother's death.
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(b) Jealous rages.
4. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
(b) Muslim Tartars.
(d) Grebensk Cossacks.
5. What is the Semenov estate?
(a) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a lawyer.
(b) The estate where Eugene Irtenev's wife lives.
(c) Eugene Irtenev's family's estate.
(d) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
2. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
3. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
4. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
5. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
2. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
3. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
4. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
5. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
6. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
7. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
8. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
9. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
10. What causes Marya's depression?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)