|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
(a) In an inn.
(b) In the grasses.
(c) In his apartments.
(d) In her house.
2. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Tartar.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Chechen.
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Miserable and filled with dread.
(b) Anxious and depressed.
(c) Content and happy.
(d) Proud and apprehensive.
4. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
5. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) They exacerbate the depression.
(b) Complete relief.
(c) Temporary relief.
(d) They make her genuinely ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
2. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
4. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
5. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
2. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
3. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
4. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
5. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
6. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
7. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
8. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
9. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
10. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)