|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her dark sense of humor.
(b) Her ignorance of French literature.
(c) Her coquettish nature.
(d) Her housekeeping.
2. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A military cadet.
(b) A bureaucrat.
(c) A shop keeper.
(d) A blacksmith.
3. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She controls it.
(b) She flies into rages.
(c) She becomes depressed.
(d) She has affairs of her own.
4. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
(a) His uncle.
(c) His minister.
(d) Liza Annenskaya.
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Content and happy.
(b) Anxious and depressed.
(c) Miserable and filled with dread.
(d) Proud and apprehensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
2. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
4. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
5. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
2. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
3. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
4. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
5. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
6. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
7. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
8. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
9. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
10. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)