|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
2. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(a) The country.
(b) The Caucasus.
3. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
(a) Hearing loss.
(c) Pain in his joints and neck.
(d) A strange taste in his mouth.
4. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(b) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(c) He is revolted.
(d) He forgives himself.
5. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Begin to gamble.
(b) Start having affairs.
(c) Buy expensive clothes.
(d) Begin to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
2. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
3. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
4. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
5. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
2. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
3. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
4. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
5. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
6. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
7. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
10. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)