|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Separate himself from the house.
(b) Begin to drink.
(c) Devote himself to his wife.
(d) Consume himself with work.
2. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He ceases to sleep.
(b) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(c) He falls out of bed.
(d) His teeth fall out.
3. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
(a) He applies for a pension and retires.
(b) He still works, but it exhausts him.
(c) He sees doctor after doctor with no result.
(d) He works less and less and reads and becomes philosophical.
4. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
(a) Over the summer.
(b) In the winter.
(c) In August.
(d) In May.
5. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As beasts of burden.
(b) As equals.
(c) As warriors.
(d) As goddesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
2. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
3. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
4. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
5. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
2. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
3. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
4. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
5. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
6. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
7. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
8. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
9. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
10. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)