|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
2. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's minister.
(b) Old Daniel.
(c) Liza Annenskaya.
(d) Eugene Irtenev's commanding officer.
3. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
(a) Hearing loss.
(b) A strange taste in his mouth.
(d) Pain in his joints and neck.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
(a) He became irritable.
(b) He became angry.
(c) He became peaceful.
(d) He became religious.
5. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 3,500 rubles.
(b) 5,000 rubles.
(c) 1,500 rubles.
(d) 2,500 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
2. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
4. Why does Marya's depression return?
5. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
2. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
3. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
4. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
5. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
6. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
7. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
8. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
9. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
10. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)