|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(a) He is not sure.
(d) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
2. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
(a) In the grasses.
(b) In his apartments.
(c) In an inn.
(d) In her house.
3. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(a) The Caucasus.
(b) The country.
4. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
(a) A sharp impatience.
(b) A new kind of happiness.
(c) A deeper religious sense.
(d) Greater depression.
5. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
2. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
3. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
4. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
5. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
2. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
3. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
4. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
5. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
6. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
7. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
8. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
9. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
10. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)