|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She refuses him.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She tells him he is foolish.
(d) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
2. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
3. What is the significance of the Terek River?
(a) It is where the regional authorities are centered.
(b) It is the heart of the Cossacks' territory.
(c) It is the last civilized outpost before the wilderness.
(d) It is the boundary where Dmitri enters the Caucasus.
4. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She flies into rages.
(b) She becomes depressed.
(c) She has affairs of her own.
(d) She controls it.
5. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He forgives himself.
(b) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(c) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(d) He is revolted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
2. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
3. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
5. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
2. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
3. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
4. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
5. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
6. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
7. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
8. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
9. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
10. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)