|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
(a) In May.
(b) In the winter.
(c) In August.
(d) Over the summer.
2. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
(a) A life of ease.
(b) A life of troubles.
(c) A life of art.
(d) A life of struggle.
3. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) New technology.
(b) Planting crops.
(c) International politics.
(d) The plight of workers.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
(a) He became angry.
(b) He became peaceful.
(c) He became irritable.
(d) He became religious.
5. Who does Marya live with at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister and a family friend.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
2. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
3. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
4. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
5. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
2. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
3. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
4. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
5. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
6. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
7. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
10. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)