|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
(a) A deeper religious sense.
(b) A new kind of happiness.
(c) A sharp impatience.
(d) Greater depression.
2. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(d) Jealous rages.
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As equals.
(b) As goddesses.
(c) As warriors.
(d) As beasts of burden.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
(a) He became religious.
(b) He became peaceful.
(c) He became irritable.
(d) He became angry.
5. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
(a) One year.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
2. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
3. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
4. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
5. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
Short Essay Questions
1. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
2. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
4. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
5. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
6. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
7. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
10. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)