|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) The plight of workers.
(b) International politics.
(c) New technology.
(d) Planting crops.
2. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
3. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a foot soldier.
(b) As a clerk.
(c) As a provincial magistrate.
(d) As an intern.
4. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
(a) Christian Cossacks.
(b) Lawless mountain people.
5. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are flawed.
(b) That they are perfect.
(c) That they are independent.
(d) That they each depend on the other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
2. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
4. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
5. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
2. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
3. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
4. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
5. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
6. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
7. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
8. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
9. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
10. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)