|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
(a) His affair with a girl in Moscow.
(b) Her pregnancy.
(c) His finances.
(d) Her illness.
2. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her dark sense of humor.
(b) Her housekeeping.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her coquettish nature.
3. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 1,500 rubles.
(b) 2,500 rubles.
(c) 3,500 rubles.
(d) 5,000 rubles.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They resume hostilities.
(b) They declare a truce.
(c) They fall out of love.
(d) They separate.
5. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
(a) Ivan Ilych's sister.
(b) Ivan Ilych's mother.
(c) Ivan Ilych's wife.
(d) Ivan Ilych's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Terek River?
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
3. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
4. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
5. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
2. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
3. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
4. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
5. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
6. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
7. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
8. What causes Marya's depression?
9. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
10. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)