|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A peasant.
(b) Marya's brother.
(c) A friend of Marya's father's.
(d) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
2. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
(a) A printer.
(b) A minister.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
3. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
(b) Mutual trust.
(c) Annihilating hatred.
(d) Commercial interdependence.
4. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His impassive good manners.
(b) His outgoing personality.
(c) His brooding moods.
(d) His recklessness with money.
5. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 2,500 rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 3,500 rubles.
(d) 5,000 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
2. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
3. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
4. Who does Marya live with at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
5. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
2. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
3. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
4. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
5. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
6. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
7. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
10. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)