|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) International politics.
(b) The plight of workers.
(c) Planting crops.
(d) New technology.
2. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 3,500 rubles.
(b) 2,500 rubles.
(c) 5,000 rubles.
(d) 1,500 rubles.
3. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
(a) His daughter.
(c) The perfect woman.
(d) Escape from his wife.
4. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
(a) To implement new laws.
(b) To intervene in a conflict with the tenants.
(c) To see to some repairs.
(d) To care for his mother.
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(a) Jealous rages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
2. What is the significance of the Terek River?
3. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
4. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
5. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
2. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
4. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
5. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
6. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
7. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
8. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
9. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
10. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)