|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 2,500 rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 5,000 rubles.
(d) 3,500 rubles.
2. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's commanding officer.
(b) Old Daniel.
(c) Eugene Irtenev's minister.
(d) Liza Annenskaya.
3. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(b) She tells him he is foolish.
(c) She agrees.
(d) She refuses him.
4. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She cries openly.
(b) She does not look at him.
(c) She comes with him.
(d) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
5. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(a) The Caucasus.
(d) The country.
6. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A military cadet.
(c) A shop keeper.
(d) A bureaucrat.
7. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
(a) He applies for a pension and retires.
(b) He still works, but it exhausts him.
(c) He sees doctor after doctor with no result.
(d) He works less and less and reads and becomes philosophical.
8. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) Planting crops.
(b) The plight of workers.
(c) New technology.
(d) International politics.
9. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Sergey leave for a trip.
(c) Her brother comes to visit.
(d) Her mother dies.
10. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) He inherited his father's estate.
(b) A miscarriage.
(c) He lost his health.
(d) The birth of a daughter.
11. Who is Katya?
(a) A shop girl.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A governess.
(d) A milliner.
12. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
13. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A law school graduate.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A bureaucrat.
14. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(a) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
(b) Head over heels in love.
(d) Indifferent to each other.
15. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of wild boars.
(b) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(c) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
(d) Fear of Lukashka.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
2. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
3. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
4. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
5. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)