|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(b) Fear of wild boars.
(c) Fear of Lukashka.
(d) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
2. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
(a) His finances.
(b) Her illness.
(c) Her pregnancy.
(d) His affair with a girl in Moscow.
3. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She becomes depressed.
(b) She has affairs of her own.
(c) She controls it.
(d) She flies into rages.
4. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 2,000 rubles a year.
(b) 1,500 rubles a year.
(c) 5,000 rubles a year.
(d) 3,500 rubles a year.
5. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
6. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
(a) The new importance of self-sacrifice.
(b) The absence of work and sacrifice.
(c) The continual work and sacrifice.
(d) The loss of privacy and self-possession.
7. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
(b) Every day.
(c) Every night.
(d) Once a week.
8. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
(a) Liza Annenskaya.
(b) Someone with a title.
(c) Someone with money.
9. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A law school graduate.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A bureaucrat.
10. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
(a) Seven years.
(b) One year.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Three years.
11. Who is Katya?
(a) A governess.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A milliner.
(d) A shop girl.
12. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
13. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She comes with him.
(b) She cries openly.
(c) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(d) She does not look at him.
14. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
15. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her dark sense of humor.
(b) Her housekeeping.
(c) Her coquettish nature.
(d) Her ignorance of French literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
2. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
4. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
5. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)