|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(c) He is not sure.
(d) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
2. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
(a) A life of art.
(b) A life of troubles.
(c) A life of ease.
(d) A life of struggle.
3. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A friend of Marya's father's.
(b) A peasant.
(c) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(d) Marya's brother.
4. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
(a) A Tartar.
(b) A Turk.
(c) A Chechen.
(d) A Russian.
5. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(b) Katherine the Great.
(d) Original Russian migrants.
6. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Separate himself from the house.
(b) Consume himself with work.
(c) Devote himself to his wife.
(d) Begin to drink.
7. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She tells him he is foolish.
(d) She refuses him.
8. Why does Marya's depression return?
(b) Her mother dies.
(c) Her brother comes to visit.
(d) Sergey leave for a trip.
9. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(b) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
(c) Fear of Lukashka.
(d) Fear of wild boars.
10. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When he moves in with her family.
(b) At Beletsky's party.
(c) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(d) When he sees her baking bread.
11. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
(a) Liza Annenskaya.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His minister.
12. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She has affairs of her own.
(b) She controls it.
(c) She becomes depressed.
(d) She flies into rages.
13. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Implement new laws.
(b) Represent clients in the courts.
(c) Work the jail.
(d) Root out corruption.
14. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
15. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 3,500 rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 2,500 rubles.
(d) 5,000 rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
2. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
3. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
4. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
5. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)