|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
(a) Assistant public prosecutor.
(b) Provincial director.
2. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
(a) One year.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Three years.
3. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
(a) A printer.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A minister.
4. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
(a) Old Daniel.
(b) Liza Annenskaya.
(c) Eugene Irtenev's minister.
(d) Eugene Irtenev's commanding officer.
5. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She does not look at him.
(b) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(c) She comes with him.
(d) She cries openly.
6. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 5,000 rubles a year.
(b) 3,500 rubles a year.
(c) 1,500 rubles a year.
(d) 2,000 rubles a year.
7. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are independent.
(b) That they each depend on the other.
(c) That they are flawed.
(d) That they are perfect.
8. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
(a) Escape from his wife.
(b) The perfect woman.
(d) His daughter.
9. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She tripped crossing a ditch.
(b) She was having fits.
(c) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
(d) She was taken ill.
10. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(c) Jealous rages.
11. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As beasts of burden.
(b) As equals.
(c) As goddesses.
(d) As warriors.
12. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
13. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
(a) Ivan Ilych's wife.
(b) Ivan Ilych's lover.
(c) Ivan Ilych's mother.
(d) Ivan Ilych's sister.
14. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(b) Bloody warfare.
(c) Coarse locals.
(d) A complex culture.
15. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) Marya's brother.
(b) A peasant.
(c) A friend of Marya's father's.
(d) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
2. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
3. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
5. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)