|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They declare a truce.
(b) They separate.
(c) They fall out of love.
(d) They resume hostilities.
2. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
3. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
4. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are independent.
(b) That they are flawed.
(c) That they are perfect.
(d) That they each depend on the other.
5. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) Coarse locals.
(b) Bloody warfare.
(c) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(d) A complex culture.
6. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His outgoing personality.
(b) His impassive good manners.
(c) His recklessness with money.
(d) His brooding moods.
7. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When he moves in with her family.
(b) At Beletsky's party.
(c) When he sees her baking bread.
(d) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
8. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A bureaucrat.
(d) A law school graduate.
9. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
(a) Every night.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Every day.
10. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
11. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her housekeeping.
(b) Her dark sense of humor.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her coquettish nature.
12. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
(a) A Tartar.
(b) A Turk.
(c) A Chechen.
(d) A Russian.
13. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a clerk.
(b) As an intern.
(c) As a provincial magistrate.
(d) As a foot soldier.
14. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 2,000 rubles a year.
(b) 3,500 rubles a year.
(c) 1,500 rubles a year.
(d) 5,000 rubles a year.
15. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(b) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(c) He forgives himself.
(d) He is revolted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
2. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
3. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
4. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
5. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)