|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
(a) Lawless mountain people.
(c) Christian Cossacks.
2. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Shrewd and attentive.
(b) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
(c) Hard-working and content.
(d) Catatonic and silent.
4. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
5. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Consume himself with work.
(b) Begin to drink.
(c) Separate himself from the house.
(d) Devote himself to his wife.
6. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He ceases to sleep.
(b) His teeth fall out.
(c) He falls out of bed.
(d) He falls on the way to the toilet.
7. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) He lost his health.
(b) The birth of a daughter.
(c) A miscarriage.
(d) He inherited his father's estate.
8. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
(a) As a mother.
(b) As a goddess.
(c) As an afterthought.
(d) As a nuisance.
9. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He forgives himself.
(b) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(c) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(d) He is revolted.
10. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 2,500 rubles.
(b) 3,500 rubles.
(c) 5,000 rubles.
(d) 1,500 rubles.
11. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(a) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
(d) He is not sure.
12. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) Marya's brother.
(b) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(c) A friend of Marya's father's.
(d) A peasant.
13. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
14. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
(a) Liza Annenskaya.
(b) Old Daniel.
(c) Eugene Irtenev's commanding officer.
(d) Eugene Irtenev's minister.
15. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
(a) His finances.
(b) Her pregnancy.
(c) Her illness.
(d) His affair with a girl in Moscow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
2. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
3. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
4. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
5. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)