|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He is revolted.
(b) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(c) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(d) He forgives himself.
2. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(c) The country.
(d) The Caucasus.
3. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They fall out of love.
(b) They resume hostilities.
(c) They declare a truce.
(d) They separate.
4. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As an intern.
(b) As a provincial magistrate.
(c) As a clerk.
(d) As a foot soldier.
5. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
(a) The new importance of self-sacrifice.
(b) The continual work and sacrifice.
(c) The loss of privacy and self-possession.
(d) The absence of work and sacrifice.
6. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her coquettish nature.
(b) Her housekeeping.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her dark sense of humor.
7. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She tripped crossing a ditch.
(b) She was having fits.
(c) She was taken ill.
(d) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
8. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) He inherited his father's estate.
(b) The birth of a daughter.
(c) He lost his health.
(d) A miscarriage.
9. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A military cadet.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A bureaucrat.
(d) A shop keeper.
10. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
(a) A strange taste in his mouth.
(b) Hearing loss.
(d) Pain in his joints and neck.
11. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She controls it.
(b) She becomes depressed.
(c) She flies into rages.
(d) She has affairs of her own.
12. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) New technology.
(b) Planting crops.
(c) International politics.
(d) The plight of workers.
13. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A friend of Marya's father's.
(b) Marya's brother.
(c) A peasant.
(d) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
14. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
(a) The shameful decision.
(b) The dehumanizing desire.
(c) Corrupt desire.
(d) Red-blooded need for sex.
15. Who is Vanyusha?
(a) Dmitri's brother.
(b) Dmitri's father.
(c) Dmitri's servant.
(d) Dmitri's commanding officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
2. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
3. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
4. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
5. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)