|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
2. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
3. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A printer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A minister.
4. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
(a) As a goddess.
(b) As an afterthought.
(c) As a nuisance.
(d) As a mother.
5. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her father's drunkenness.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her brother's illness.
(d) Her husband's death.
6. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
(a) Liza Annenskaya.
(c) Someone with a title.
(d) Someone with money.
7. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Devote himself to his wife.
(b) Consume himself with work.
(c) Separate himself from the house.
(d) Begin to drink.
8. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A bureaucrat.
(d) A law school graduate.
9. Who does Marya live with at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
(a) Her sister and a family friend.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
10. Who is Katya?
(a) A milliner.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A governess.
(d) A shop girl.
11. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Her mother dies.
(b) Sergey leave for a trip.
(d) Her brother comes to visit.
12. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
(b) Horse racing.
13. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She tells him he is foolish.
(b) She refuses him.
(c) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(d) She agrees.
14. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
(a) Over the summer.
(b) In August.
(c) In May.
(d) In the winter.
15. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He ceases to sleep.
(b) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(c) His teeth fall out.
(d) He falls out of bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
2. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
3. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
4. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)