|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Begin to gamble.
(b) Buy expensive clothes.
(c) Begin to drink.
(d) Start having affairs.
2. What is the Semenov estate?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's family's estate.
(b) The estate where Eugene Irtenev's wife lives.
(c) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a doctor.
(d) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a lawyer.
3. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
(a) Liza Annenskaya.
(b) Someone with a title.
(d) Someone with money.
4. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
(a) Ivan Ilych's lover.
(b) Ivan Ilych's wife.
(c) Ivan Ilych's sister.
(d) Ivan Ilych's mother.
5. Who is Vanyusha?
(a) Dmitri's commanding officer.
(b) Dmitri's father.
(c) Dmitri's brother.
(d) Dmitri's servant.
6. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His recklessness with money.
(b) His outgoing personality.
(c) His brooding moods.
(d) His impassive good manners.
7. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A bureaucrat.
(b) A law school graduate.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A doctor.
8. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
(a) Her illness.
(b) His finances.
(c) His affair with a girl in Moscow.
(d) Her pregnancy.
9. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They fall out of love.
(b) They resume hostilities.
(c) They separate.
(d) They declare a truce.
10. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of wild boars.
(b) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
(c) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(d) Fear of Lukashka.
11. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Implement new laws.
(b) Represent clients in the courts.
(c) Work the jail.
(d) Root out corruption.
12. Who is Katya?
(a) A milliner.
(b) A shop girl.
(c) A governess.
(d) A seamstress.
13. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a provincial magistrate.
(b) As a foot soldier.
(c) As an intern.
(d) As a clerk.
14. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(a) Head over heels in love.
(b) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
(d) Indifferent to each other.
15. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) His teeth fall out.
(b) He ceases to sleep.
(c) He falls out of bed.
(d) He falls on the way to the toilet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Terek River?
2. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
3. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
4. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
5. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)