|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
(a) To implement new laws.
(b) To intervene in a conflict with the tenants.
(c) To care for his mother.
(d) To see to some repairs.
2. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
3. Who is Vanyusha?
(a) Dmitri's servant.
(b) Dmitri's brother.
(c) Dmitri's commanding officer.
(d) Dmitri's father.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They declare a truce.
(b) They separate.
(c) They resume hostilities.
(d) They fall out of love.
5. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Work the jail.
(b) Implement new laws.
(c) Root out corruption.
(d) Represent clients in the courts.
6. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her housekeeping.
(b) Her coquettish nature.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her dark sense of humor.
7. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) He inherited his father's estate.
(b) A miscarriage.
(c) He lost his health.
(d) The birth of a daughter.
8. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As an intern.
(b) As a clerk.
(c) As a foot soldier.
(d) As a provincial magistrate.
9. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
(a) His daughter.
(c) Escape from his wife.
(d) The perfect woman.
10. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She tells him he is foolish.
(b) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(c) She agrees.
(d) She refuses him.
11. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
(a) A minister.
(b) A printer.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
12. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Sergey leave for a trip.
(b) Her mother dies.
(d) Her brother comes to visit.
13. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
(a) In her house.
(b) In the grasses.
(c) In an inn.
(d) In his apartments.
14. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
(a) A sharp impatience.
(b) A new kind of happiness.
(c) A deeper religious sense.
(d) Greater depression.
15. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
2. What is the significance of the Terek River?
3. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
4. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)