|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) He and his wife resume fighting.
(b) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
(c) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
(d) He returns to his hometown.
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To escape from his debts.
(b) To look for adventure.
(c) For a business deal.
(d) To serve the Tsar.
3. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
(a) As a mother.
(b) As a goddess.
(c) As an afterthought.
(d) As a nuisance.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(b) Jealous rages.
5. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
6. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) He lost his health.
(c) The birth of a daughter.
(d) He inherited his father's estate.
7. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A peasant.
(b) A friend of Marya's father's.
(c) Marya's brother.
(d) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
8. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) The plight of workers.
(b) New technology.
(c) Planting crops.
(d) International politics.
9. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Content and happy.
(b) Proud and apprehensive.
(c) Miserable and filled with dread.
(d) Anxious and depressed.
10. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
(a) His minister.
(b) Liza Annenskaya.
(c) His uncle.
11. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He falls out of bed.
(b) His teeth fall out.
(c) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(d) He ceases to sleep.
12. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
(c) Horse racing.
13. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
(a) His wife is pretty and flirtatious, and his superiors like to have her around.
(b) His wife works behind the scenes to help him.
(c) His wife's family has powerful connections.
(d) His wife keeps his wayward traits in line.
14. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
(a) A Turk.
(b) A Tartar.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Chechen.
15. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
(b) Lawless mountain people.
(d) Christian Cossacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
2. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
3. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
4. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)