|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
2. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
(a) Pain in his joints and neck.
(b) Hearing loss.
(d) A strange taste in his mouth.
3. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Hard-working and content.
(b) Shrewd and attentive.
(c) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
(d) Catatonic and silent.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Proud and apprehensive.
(b) Miserable and filled with dread.
(c) Content and happy.
(d) Anxious and depressed.
5. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(a) The Caucasus.
(b) The country.
6. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
(b) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
(c) He and his wife resume fighting.
(d) He returns to his hometown.
7. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) Coarse locals.
(b) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(c) A complex culture.
(d) Bloody warfare.
8. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
(a) It incenses her.
(b) It rejuvenates her.
(c) It has no affect on her.
(d) It saps her.
9. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Begin to drink.
(b) Start having affairs.
(c) Begin to gamble.
(d) Buy expensive clothes.
10. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Separate himself from the house.
(b) Devote himself to his wife.
(c) Begin to drink.
(d) Consume himself with work.
11. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
12. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They separate.
(b) They fall out of love.
(c) They declare a truce.
(d) They resume hostilities.
13. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To serve the Tsar.
(b) To look for adventure.
(c) To escape from his debts.
(d) For a business deal.
14. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 5,000 rubles a year.
(b) 1,500 rubles a year.
(c) 3,500 rubles a year.
(d) 2,000 rubles a year.
15. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
2. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
3. Who is Vanyusha?
4. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
5. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)