|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
(a) To implement new laws.
(b) To care for his mother.
(c) To see to some repairs.
(d) To intervene in a conflict with the tenants.
2. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) A heroic future.
(b) Escape from prison.
(c) Freedom from persecution.
(d) A life of ease.
3. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
4. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He ceases to sleep.
(b) His teeth fall out.
(c) He falls out of bed.
(d) He falls on the way to the toilet.
5. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
(a) Grebensk Cossacks.
(d) Muslim Tartars.
6. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
(a) Greater depression.
(b) A deeper religious sense.
(c) A new kind of happiness.
(d) A sharp impatience.
7. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Her mother dies.
(b) Her brother comes to visit.
(c) Sergey leave for a trip.
8. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) They make her genuinely ill.
(b) Temporary relief.
(c) They exacerbate the depression.
(d) Complete relief.
9. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
10. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her father's drunkenness.
(d) Her brother's illness.
11. Who is Vanyusha?
(a) Dmitri's commanding officer.
(b) Dmitri's servant.
(c) Dmitri's father.
(d) Dmitri's brother.
12. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of Lukashka.
(b) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
(c) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(d) Fear of wild boars.
13. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her ignorance of French literature.
(b) Her coquettish nature.
(c) Her dark sense of humor.
(d) Her housekeeping.
14. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She refuses him.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(d) She tells him he is foolish.
15. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They separate.
(b) They resume hostilities.
(c) They fall out of love.
(d) They declare a truce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Katya?
2. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
3. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
5. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)