|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
(d) Self-destructive behavior.
2. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Begin to drink.
(b) Consume himself with work.
(c) Separate himself from the house.
(d) Devote himself to his wife.
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
(a) He became irritable.
(b) He became peaceful.
(c) He became religious.
(d) He became angry.
4. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She refuses him.
(d) She tells him he is foolish.
5. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
(c) Horse racing.
6. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
7. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
8. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
(a) To implement new laws.
(b) To intervene in a conflict with the tenants.
(c) To care for his mother.
(d) To see to some repairs.
9. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they each depend on the other.
(b) That they are independent.
(c) That they are perfect.
(d) That they are flawed.
10. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
(a) A Russian.
(b) A Turk.
(c) A Tartar.
(d) A Chechen.
11. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He ceases to sleep.
(b) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(c) His teeth fall out.
(d) He falls out of bed.
12. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 5,000 rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 2,500 rubles.
(d) 3,500 rubles.
13. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They declare a truce.
(b) They separate.
(c) They fall out of love.
(d) They resume hostilities.
14. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His brooding moods.
(b) His impassive good manners.
(c) His outgoing personality.
(d) His recklessness with money.
15. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
2. Why does Marya's depression return?
3. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
4. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
5. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)