|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She controls it.
(b) She flies into rages.
(c) She has affairs of her own.
(d) She becomes depressed.
2. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(b) He is not sure.
(c) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
3. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He forgives himself.
(b) He is revolted.
(c) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(d) He decides he would not do anything differently.
4. Who does Marya live with at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her sister and a family friend.
5. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
6. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
(a) Every night.
(b) Every day.
(c) Once a week.
7. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) A jealous rage.
(b) Her illness and depression.
(c) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(d) Her suicide attempt.
8. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
(a) Commercial interdependence.
(b) Mutual trust.
(c) Annihilating hatred.
9. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
(a) A Tartar.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Chechen.
10. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
11. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) A heroic future.
(b) Escape from prison.
(c) A life of ease.
(d) Freedom from persecution.
12. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When he moves in with her family.
(b) At Beletsky's party.
(c) When he sees her baking bread.
(d) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
13. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her coquettish nature.
(b) Her housekeeping.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her dark sense of humor.
14. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(d) Jealous rages.
15. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Start having affairs.
(b) Begin to gamble.
(c) Buy expensive clothes.
(d) Begin to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
2. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
3. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
4. Who is Katya?
5. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)