|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
(a) Ivan Ilych's mother.
(b) Ivan Ilych's wife.
(c) Ivan Ilych's sister.
(d) Ivan Ilych's lover.
2. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He falls out of bed.
(b) He ceases to sleep.
(c) His teeth fall out.
(d) He falls on the way to the toilet.
3. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His recklessness with money.
(b) His impassive good manners.
(c) His outgoing personality.
(d) His brooding moods.
4. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 5,000 rubles a year.
(b) 3,500 rubles a year.
(c) 2,000 rubles a year.
(d) 1,500 rubles a year.
5. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
6. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
(a) In her house.
(b) In his apartments.
(c) In the grasses.
(d) In an inn.
7. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Anxious and depressed.
(b) Miserable and filled with dread.
(c) Content and happy.
(d) Proud and apprehensive.
8. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To serve the Tsar.
(b) To look for adventure.
(c) For a business deal.
(d) To escape from his debts.
9. Who is Katya?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A governess.
(c) A shop girl.
(d) A milliner.
10. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She refuses him.
(b) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(c) She agrees.
(d) She tells him he is foolish.
11. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) He lost his health.
(c) The birth of a daughter.
(d) He inherited his father's estate.
12. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's minister.
(b) Eugene Irtenev's commanding officer.
(c) Liza Annenskaya.
(d) Old Daniel.
13. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
14. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
(a) Commercial interdependence.
(b) Mutual trust.
(c) Annihilating hatred.
15. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her dark sense of humor.
(b) Her ignorance of French literature.
(c) Her coquettish nature.
(d) Her housekeeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Semenov estate?
2. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
4. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
5. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)