|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her housekeeping.
(b) Her coquettish nature.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her dark sense of humor.
2. Who is Katya?
(a) A shop girl.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A governess.
(d) A milliner.
3. What is the significance of the Terek River?
(a) It is the boundary where Dmitri enters the Caucasus.
(b) It is the last civilized outpost before the wilderness.
(c) It is where the regional authorities are centered.
(d) It is the heart of the Cossacks' territory.
4. Who does Marya live with at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her sister and a family friend.
(d) Her children.
5. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A military cadet.
(b) A bureaucrat.
(c) A shop keeper.
(d) A blacksmith.
6. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 2,000 rubles a year.
(b) 1,500 rubles a year.
(c) 5,000 rubles a year.
(d) 3,500 rubles a year.
7. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) Marya's brother.
(b) A friend of Marya's father's.
(c) A peasant.
(d) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
8. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(a) The Caucasus.
(b) The country.
9. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
10. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(b) When he moves in with her family.
(c) At Beletsky's party.
(d) When he sees her baking bread.
11. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Buy expensive clothes.
(b) Begin to drink.
(c) Begin to gamble.
(d) Start having affairs.
12. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Her mother dies.
(b) Her brother comes to visit.
(d) Sergey leave for a trip.
13. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(a) Head over heels in love.
(c) Indifferent to each other.
(d) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
14. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As warriors.
(b) As equals.
(c) As beasts of burden.
(d) As goddesses.
15. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His outgoing personality.
(b) His recklessness with money.
(c) His impassive good manners.
(d) His brooding moods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
2. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
3. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
4. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
5. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)