|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) Her suicide attempt.
(b) A jealous rage.
(c) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(d) Her illness and depression.
2. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(b) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(c) He forgives himself.
(d) He is revolted.
3. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
(a) 1,500 rubles.
(b) 2,500 rubles.
(c) 3,500 rubles.
(d) 5,000 rubles.
4. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She refuses him.
(b) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(c) She agrees.
(d) She tells him he is foolish.
5. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
6. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Miserable and filled with dread.
(b) Proud and apprehensive.
(c) Anxious and depressed.
(d) Content and happy.
7. Who is Vanyusha?
(a) Dmitri's commanding officer.
(b) Dmitri's brother.
(c) Dmitri's servant.
(d) Dmitri's father.
8. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
(a) His wife's family has powerful connections.
(b) His wife works behind the scenes to help him.
(c) His wife is pretty and flirtatious, and his superiors like to have her around.
(d) His wife keeps his wayward traits in line.
9. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
(a) Over the summer.
(b) In August.
(c) In the winter.
(d) In May.
10. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) International politics.
(b) Planting crops.
(c) The plight of workers.
(d) New technology.
11. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
(a) As an afterthought.
(b) As a goddess.
(c) As a mother.
(d) As a nuisance.
12. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Tartar.
(c) A Chechen.
(d) A Russian.
13. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(a) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
(c) Indifferent to each other.
(d) Head over heels in love.
14. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
(a) A life of art.
(b) A life of ease.
(c) A life of troubles.
(d) A life of struggle.
15. What is the Semenov estate?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's family's estate.
(b) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a doctor.
(c) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a lawyer.
(d) The estate where Eugene Irtenev's wife lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
2. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
3. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
4. What is in Novomlinsk?
5. Why does Marya's depression return?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)