|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
2. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(a) He is not sure.
(c) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
3. Who is Katya?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A shop girl.
(c) A milliner.
(d) A governess.
4. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
(b) Escape from his wife.
(c) The perfect woman.
(d) His daughter.
5. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
(a) Fear of a Tartar attack.
(b) Fear of Lukashka.
(c) Fear of wild boars.
(d) Fear of Chechen reprisals.
6. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Her mother dies.
(b) Sergey leave for a trip.
(c) Her brother comes to visit.
7. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
8. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
(a) Hearing loss.
(b) A strange taste in his mouth.
(c) Pain in his joints and neck.
9. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As equals.
(b) As beasts of burden.
(c) As warriors.
(d) As goddesses.
10. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her husband's death.
(b) Her father's drunkenness.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her brother's illness.
11. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
12. How would you describe the nature Dmitri expects to find in the Caucasus?
13. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
(a) Once a week.
(c) Every day.
(d) Every night.
14. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
15. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A bureaucrat.
(d) A law school graduate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
2. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
3. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
4. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
5. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)