|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
(b) She was taken ill.
(c) She tripped crossing a ditch.
(d) She was having fits.
2. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) Her suicide attempt.
(b) A jealous rage.
(c) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(d) Her illness and depression.
3. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Russian.
(c) A Chechen.
(d) A Tartar.
4. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
(b) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
(c) He returns to his hometown.
(d) He and his wife resume fighting.
5. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
6. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(a) Jealous rages.
7. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Work the jail.
(b) Root out corruption.
(c) Implement new laws.
(d) Represent clients in the courts.
8. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
(a) His wife keeps his wayward traits in line.
(b) His wife is pretty and flirtatious, and his superiors like to have her around.
(c) His wife's family has powerful connections.
(d) His wife works behind the scenes to help him.
9. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her ignorance of French literature.
(b) Her dark sense of humor.
(c) Her housekeeping.
(d) Her coquettish nature.
10. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
11. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As equals.
(b) As beasts of burden.
(c) As warriors.
(d) As goddesses.
12. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They fall out of love.
(b) They separate.
(c) They resume hostilities.
(d) They declare a truce.
13. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She comes with him.
(b) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(c) She cries openly.
(d) She does not look at him.
14. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
(a) A life of troubles.
(b) A life of struggle.
(c) A life of art.
(d) A life of ease.
15. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are independent.
(b) That they are perfect.
(c) That they are flawed.
(d) That they each depend on the other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
2. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
3. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
4. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
5. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)