|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A shop keeper.
(b) A bureaucrat.
(c) A military cadet.
(d) A blacksmith.
2. Why does Marya's depression return?
(b) Sergey leave for a trip.
(c) Her mother dies.
(d) Her brother comes to visit.
3. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A peasant.
(b) A friend of Marya's father's.
(c) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(d) Marya's brother.
4. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(b) Head over heels in love.
(c) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
(d) Indifferent to each other.
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Anxious and depressed.
(b) Miserable and filled with dread.
(c) Content and happy.
(d) Proud and apprehensive.
6. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(b) When he moves in with her family.
(c) At Beletsky's party.
(d) When he sees her baking bread.
7. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
(a) It incenses her.
(b) It rejuvenates her.
(c) It saps her.
(d) It has no affect on her.
8. What is in Novomlinsk?
(a) Muslim Tartars.
(b) The center of the Grebensk Cossack settlement.
(c) The Russian military outpost.
(d) The Turkish trading post.
9. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
(a) Her pregnancy.
(b) His affair with a girl in Moscow.
(c) His finances.
(d) Her illness.
10. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) He returns to his hometown.
(b) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
(c) He and his wife resume fighting.
(d) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
11. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) He inherited his father's estate.
(b) The birth of a daughter.
(c) He lost his health.
(d) A miscarriage.
12. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
(b) She refuses him.
(c) She tells him he is foolish.
(d) She agrees.
13. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Represent clients in the courts.
(b) Root out corruption.
(c) Work the jail.
(d) Implement new laws.
14. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Tartar.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Chechen.
15. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
(b) Christian Cossacks.
(d) Lawless mountain people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
2. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
3. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
4. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
5. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)