|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Content and happy.
(b) Anxious and depressed.
(c) Proud and apprehensive.
(d) Miserable and filled with dread.
2. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
3. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Consume himself with work.
(b) Separate himself from the house.
(c) Begin to drink.
(d) Devote himself to his wife.
4. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
(a) In her house.
(b) In an inn.
(c) In the grasses.
(d) In his apartments.
5. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
(a) It has no affect on her.
(b) It saps her.
(c) It rejuvenates her.
(d) It incenses her.
6. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) Coarse locals.
(b) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(c) A complex culture.
(d) Bloody warfare.
7. What is in Novomlinsk?
(a) The center of the Grebensk Cossack settlement.
(b) The Turkish trading post.
(c) The Russian military outpost.
(d) Muslim Tartars.
8. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
9. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) Marya's brother.
(b) A peasant.
(c) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(d) A friend of Marya's father's.
10. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
(a) A Turk.
(b) A Russian.
(c) A Tartar.
(d) A Chechen.
11. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
(a) To intervene in a conflict with the tenants.
(b) To see to some repairs.
(c) To care for his mother.
(d) To implement new laws.
12. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(b) She comes with him.
(c) She does not look at him.
(d) She cries openly.
13. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
14. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) Escape from prison.
(b) A heroic future.
(c) Freedom from persecution.
(d) A life of ease.
15. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To look for adventure.
(b) For a business deal.
(c) To serve the Tsar.
(d) To escape from his debts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
2. Why does Dmitri return home quickly after hunting?
3. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
4. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
5. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)