|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
2. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
3. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Begin to drink.
(b) Devote himself to his wife.
(c) Separate himself from the house.
(d) Consume himself with work.
4. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) A jealous rage.
(b) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(c) Her suicide attempt.
(d) Her illness and depression.
5. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
(a) The shameful decision.
(b) Corrupt desire.
(c) The dehumanizing desire.
(d) Red-blooded need for sex.
6. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(b) A friend of Marya's father's.
(c) Marya's brother.
(d) A peasant.
7. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(c) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
(d) He is not sure.
8. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
(b) Muslim Tartars.
(c) Grebensk Cossacks.
9. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They declare a truce.
(b) They separate.
(c) They fall out of love.
(d) They resume hostilities.
10. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
(b) Katherine the Great.
(c) Original Russian migrants.
(d) Alexander the Great.
11. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Catatonic and silent.
(b) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
(c) Hard-working and content.
(d) Shrewd and attentive.
12. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
13. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
(a) His minister.
(c) Liza Annenskaya.
(d) His uncle.
14. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A military cadet.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A bureaucrat.
(d) A shop keeper.
15. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
(a) That he cannot live without her.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he hates her.
(d) The she will not be able to live without him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
2. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
3. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
4. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)