|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(b) She does not look at him.
(c) She cries openly.
(d) She comes with him.
2. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
(b) She was having fits.
(c) She tripped crossing a ditch.
(d) She was taken ill.
3. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) He inherited his father's estate.
(b) The birth of a daughter.
(c) He lost his health.
(d) A miscarriage.
4. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) Her illness and depression.
(b) Her suicide attempt.
(c) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(d) A jealous rage.
5. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
(a) It makes her curious.
(b) It makes her vulnerable.
(c) It makes her rhapsodic.
(d) It makes her oblivious.
6. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
(a) Greater depression.
(b) A new kind of happiness.
(c) A sharp impatience.
(d) A deeper religious sense.
7. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
(a) Her father's drunkenness.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her brother's illness.
8. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
9. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
10. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
(d) Horse racing.
11. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They fall out of love.
(b) They resume hostilities.
(c) They declare a truce.
(d) They separate.
12. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(a) Jealous rages.
13. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
(a) Red-blooded need for sex.
(b) The dehumanizing desire.
(c) The shameful decision.
(d) Corrupt desire.
14. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
(a) His wife's family has powerful connections.
(b) His wife works behind the scenes to help him.
(c) His wife is pretty and flirtatious, and his superiors like to have her around.
(d) His wife keeps his wayward traits in line.
15. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
2. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
3. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
4. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
5. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)