|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
(a) Red-blooded need for sex.
(b) The dehumanizing desire.
(c) Corrupt desire.
(d) The shameful decision.
2. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
(a) The loss of privacy and self-possession.
(b) The absence of work and sacrifice.
(c) The continual work and sacrifice.
(d) The new importance of self-sacrifice.
3. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His outgoing personality.
(b) His brooding moods.
(c) His impassive good manners.
(d) His recklessness with money.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They separate.
(b) They declare a truce.
(c) They resume hostilities.
(d) They fall out of love.
5. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
6. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) He and his wife resume fighting.
(b) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
(c) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
(d) He returns to his hometown.
7. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Chechen.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Tartar.
8. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are flawed.
(b) That they are independent.
(c) That they are perfect.
(d) That they each depend on the other.
9. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
(b) Annihilating hatred.
(c) Commercial interdependence.
(d) Mutual trust.
10. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Devote himself to his wife.
(b) Consume himself with work.
(c) Separate himself from the house.
(d) Begin to drink.
11. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) Marya's brother.
(b) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A friend of Marya's father's.
12. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
(a) As a nuisance.
(b) As an afterthought.
(c) As a goddess.
(d) As a mother.
13. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(b) He forgives himself.
(c) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(d) He is revolted.
14. Who is Katya?
(a) A governess.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A shop girl.
(d) A milliner.
15. Where does Eugene Irtenev live?
(b) The country.
(d) The Caucasus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
2. What is in Novomlinsk?
3. Who is Vanyusha?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
5. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)