|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) Complete relief.
(b) Temporary relief.
(c) They make her genuinely ill.
(d) They exacerbate the depression.
2. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
(c) Horse racing.
3. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a foot soldier.
(b) As an intern.
(c) As a clerk.
(d) As a provincial magistrate.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They resume hostilities.
(b) They fall out of love.
(c) They separate.
(d) They declare a truce.
5. What is in Novomlinsk?
(a) The center of the Grebensk Cossack settlement.
(b) The Turkish trading post.
(c) Muslim Tartars.
(d) The Russian military outpost.
6. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) Freedom from persecution.
(b) A heroic future.
(c) Escape from prison.
(d) A life of ease.
7. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
(a) Hearing loss.
(b) Pain in his joints and neck.
(c) A strange taste in his mouth.
8. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
(b) Muslim Tartars.
(d) Grebensk Cossacks.
9. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
10. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
(a) Her illness.
(b) Her pregnancy.
(c) His finances.
(d) His affair with a girl in Moscow.
11. How old is Marya Alexandrovna?
12. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
(a) 1,500 rubles a year.
(b) 3,500 rubles a year.
(c) 5,000 rubles a year.
(d) 2,000 rubles a year.
13. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
(a) In August.
(b) In May.
(c) In the winter.
(d) Over the summer.
14. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
(a) It incenses her.
(b) It rejuvenates her.
(c) It saps her.
(d) It has no affect on her.
15. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Seven years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
2. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
3. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
4. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
5. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)