|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
(a) He applies for a pension and retires.
(b) He works less and less and reads and becomes philosophical.
(c) He sees doctor after doctor with no result.
(d) He still works, but it exhausts him.
2. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) Freedom from persecution.
(b) A life of ease.
(c) Escape from prison.
(d) A heroic future.
3. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She was having fits.
(b) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
(c) She tripped crossing a ditch.
(d) She was taken ill.
4. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) A complex culture.
(b) Bloody warfare.
(c) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(d) Coarse locals.
5. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
(c) She tells him it is his, but he finds out it is not.
(d) He is not sure.
6. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
(a) Eugene Irtenev's minister.
(b) Liza Annenskaya.
(c) Eugene Irtenev's commanding officer.
(d) Old Daniel.
7. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They declare a truce.
(b) They separate.
(c) They fall out of love.
(d) They resume hostilities.
8. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
(a) Someone with a title.
(b) Liza Annenskaya.
(d) Someone with money.
9. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A printer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A minister.
10. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
(a) Provincial director.
(b) Assistant public prosecutor.
11. Who is Katya?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A milliner.
(c) A governess.
(d) A shop girl.
12. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) A jealous rage.
(b) Her suicide attempt.
(c) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(d) Her illness and depression.
13. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
(a) To nurse her baby.
(b) To teach the child.
(c) To clean the house.
(d) To weave tapestries.
14. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A peasant.
(b) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(c) A friend of Marya's father's.
(d) Marya's brother.
15. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) New technology.
(b) International politics.
(c) Planting crops.
(d) The plight of workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
2. Who did Lukashka actual kill?
3. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)