|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) The birth of a daughter.
(b) He lost his health.
(c) A miscarriage.
(d) He inherited his father's estate.
2. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(b) He ceases to sleep.
(c) His teeth fall out.
(d) He falls out of bed.
3. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
(a) It saps her.
(b) It incenses her.
(c) It has no affect on her.
(d) It rejuvenates her.
4. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
5. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
6. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
7. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As equals.
(b) As warriors.
(c) As beasts of burden.
(d) As goddesses.
8. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(b) A complex culture.
(c) Coarse locals.
(d) Bloody warfare.
9. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
(a) Mutual trust.
(b) Annihilating hatred.
(c) Commercial interdependence.
10. To whom does Eugene Irtenev confide his lustful thoughts about Stepanida?
(a) His minister.
(c) His uncle.
(d) Liza Annenskaya.
11. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Begin to gamble.
(b) Buy expensive clothes.
(c) Begin to drink.
(d) Start having affairs.
12. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
13. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She refuses him.
(c) She tells him he is foolish.
(d) She pleads with him to let her marry Lukashka.
14. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
(a) To clean the house.
(b) To nurse her baby.
(c) To weave tapestries.
(d) To teach the child.
15. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
(a) He and his wife resume fighting.
(b) He returns to his hometown.
(c) His wife ceases to fight with him to take care of him.
(d) He loses his salary and begins to struggle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
2. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
3. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
4. What is in Novomlinsk?
5. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)