Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
(a) Work the jail.
(b) Represent clients in the courts.
(c) Implement new laws.
(d) Root out corruption.
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To look for adventure.
(b) For a business deal.
(c) To escape from his debts.
(d) To serve the Tsar.
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) Escape from prison.
(b) A heroic future.
(c) Freedom from persecution.
(d) A life of ease.
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) When he sees her baking bread.
(b) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(c) When he moves in with her family.
(d) At Beletsky's party.
6. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
(a) He became peaceful.
(b) He became angry.
(c) He became irritable.
(d) He became religious.
7. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
8. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A law school graduate.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A bureaucrat.
9. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
(a) The dehumanizing desire.
(b) The shameful decision.
(c) Red-blooded need for sex.
(d) Corrupt desire.
10. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) He lost his health.
(c) He inherited his father's estate.
(d) The birth of a daughter.
11. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Sergey leave for a trip.
(b) Her mother dies.
(c) Her brother comes to visit.
12. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Hard-working and content.
(b) Shrewd and attentive.
(c) Catatonic and silent.
(d) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
13. What is the Semenov estate?
(a) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a lawyer.
(b) The estate where Eugene Irtenev is a doctor.
(c) Eugene Irtenev's family's estate.
(d) The estate where Eugene Irtenev's wife lives.
14. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A minister.
(d) A printer.
15. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
(a) Ivan Ilych's mother.
(b) Ivan Ilych's sister.
(c) Ivan Ilych's wife.
(d) Ivan Ilych's lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
2. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
3. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
4. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
5. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)