|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alyosha the Pot.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
(b) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
(c) Murad had murdered a man.
(d) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
2. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) A judge and jury.
(b) His seat-mate.
(c) His cell-mate.
3. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(b) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
(c) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
(d) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
4. What offends Alyosha's supervisor?
(a) Alyosha's cleanliness.
(b) Alyosha's boots.
(c) Alyosha's speech.
(d) Alyosha's stupidity.
5. What is the significance of the Terek River?
(a) It is the heart of the Cossacks' territory.
(b) It is the last civilized outpost before the wilderness.
(c) It is where the regional authorities are centered.
(d) It is the boundary where Dmitri enters the Caucasus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
2. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
3. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
4. How much money did Vasili borrow?
5. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)