|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alyosha the Pot.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the Terek River?
(a) It is the heart of the Cossacks' territory.
(b) It is where the regional authorities are centered.
(c) It is the boundary where Dmitri enters the Caucasus.
(d) It is the last civilized outpost before the wilderness.
2. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 2 days.
3. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
(a) She could see he did not love her.
(b) She did not like the town they moved to.
(c) She did not love him.
(d) She could not have children.
4. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By having affairs.
(b) By playing piano.
(c) By gossiping.
(d) By singing.
5. Why does Marya's depression return?
(b) Her mother dies.
(c) Her brother comes to visit.
(d) Sergey leave for a trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
2. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
3. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
4. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
5. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)