|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
(a) Christian Cossacks.
(b) Lawless mountain people.
2. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
(a) It makes her vulnerable.
(b) It makes her oblivious.
(c) It makes her curious.
(d) It makes her rhapsodic.
3. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
(a) He is grateful for all his opportunities.
(b) He decides he would not do anything differently.
(c) He is revolted.
(d) He forgives himself.
4. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She flies into rages.
(b) She becomes depressed.
(c) She has affairs of her own.
(d) She controls it.
5. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) They exacerbate the depression.
(b) Temporary relief.
(c) They make her genuinely ill.
(d) Complete relief.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
3. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
4. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
5. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)