|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Miserable and filled with dread.
(b) Proud and apprehensive.
(c) Anxious and depressed.
(d) Content and happy.
2. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are independent.
(b) That they are perfect.
(c) That they are flawed.
(d) That they each depend on the other.
3. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
4. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To serve the Tsar.
(b) To look for adventure.
(c) To escape from his debts.
(d) For a business deal.
5. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a provincial magistrate.
(b) As an intern.
(c) As a clerk.
(d) As a foot soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
2. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
4. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
5. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)