|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She was having fits.
(b) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
(c) She was taken ill.
(d) She tripped crossing a ditch.
2. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
(a) The she will not be able to live without him.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he hates her.
(d) That he cannot live without her.
3. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
(a) To teach the child.
(b) To clean the house.
(c) To nurse her baby.
(d) To weave tapestries.
4. Why does Marya's depression return?
(a) Her mother dies.
(c) Her brother comes to visit.
(d) Sergey leave for a trip.
5. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) A jealous rage.
(b) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(c) Her illness and depression.
(d) Her suicide attempt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Terek River?
2. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
3. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
5. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)