|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) His teeth fall out.
(b) He falls on the way to the toilet.
(c) He falls out of bed.
(d) He ceases to sleep.
2. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
3. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To serve the Tsar.
(b) For a business deal.
(c) To escape from his debts.
(d) To look for adventure.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Content and happy.
(b) Anxious and depressed.
(c) Proud and apprehensive.
(d) Miserable and filled with dread.
5. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
(a) She tripped crossing a ditch.
(b) She was having complications of her pregnancy.
(c) She was having fits.
(d) She was taken ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
2. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
4. Why does Marya's depression return?
5. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)