|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) Temporary relief.
(b) They exacerbate the depression.
(c) Complete relief.
(d) They make her genuinely ill.
2. Who does Eugene Irtenev's mother want him to marry?
(a) Someone with a title.
(c) Someone with money.
(d) Liza Annenskaya.
3. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) He lost his health.
(c) He inherited his father's estate.
(d) The birth of a daughter.
4. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Proud and apprehensive.
(b) Anxious and depressed.
(c) Miserable and filled with dread.
(d) Content and happy.
5. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His outgoing personality.
(b) His brooding moods.
(c) His recklessness with money.
(d) His impassive good manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
2. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
3. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
4. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
5. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)