|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
(b) Christian Cossacks.
(c) Lawless mountain people.
2. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
(a) His teeth fall out.
(b) He ceases to sleep.
(c) He falls out of bed.
(d) He falls on the way to the toilet.
3. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
(a) His impassive good manners.
(b) His brooding moods.
(c) His recklessness with money.
(d) His outgoing personality.
4. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) They exacerbate the depression.
(b) Complete relief.
(c) They make her genuinely ill.
(d) Temporary relief.
5. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Hard-working and content.
(b) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
(c) Catatonic and silent.
(d) Shrewd and attentive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
2. Why was Liza Annenskaya confined to bed?
3. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
4. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
5. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)