|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
(a) It makes her curious.
(b) It makes her oblivious.
(c) It makes her vulnerable.
(d) It makes her rhapsodic.
2. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As goddesses.
(b) As equals.
(c) As warriors.
(d) As beasts of burden.
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They resume hostilities.
(b) They fall out of love.
(c) They separate.
(d) They declare a truce.
5. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
(a) Start having affairs.
(b) Begin to gamble.
(c) Buy expensive clothes.
(d) Begin to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
2. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
3. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
4. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
5. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)