|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Devil.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Catatonic and silent.
(b) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
(c) Hard-working and content.
(d) Shrewd and attentive.
2. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
(a) She does not look at him.
(b) She comes with him.
(c) She watches him from a prominent place where he can see her.
(d) She cries openly.
3. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
(a) She has affairs of her own.
(b) She controls it.
(c) She becomes depressed.
(d) She flies into rages.
4. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
(a) Grebensk Cossacks.
(d) Muslim Tartars.
5. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
(a) He still works, but it exhausts him.
(b) He sees doctor after doctor with no result.
(c) He applies for a pension and retires.
(d) He works less and less and reads and becomes philosophical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marya's depression return?
2. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
3. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
4. What is the significance of the Terek River?
5. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)