|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Death of Ivan Ilych.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) The plight of workers.
(b) New technology.
(c) International politics.
(d) Planting crops.
2. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(b) Head over heels in love.
(c) Indifferent to each other.
(d) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
3. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
(a) A friend of Marya's father's.
(b) An overseer on Marya's family's estate.
(c) Marya's brother.
(d) A peasant.
4. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
5. What is in Novomlinsk?
(a) Muslim Tartars.
(b) The Russian military outpost.
(c) The center of the Grebensk Cossack settlement.
(d) The Turkish trading post.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
2. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
4. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
5. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)