|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Death of Ivan Ilych.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A law school graduate.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A bureaucrat.
2. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
(a) Miserable and filled with dread.
(b) Anxious and depressed.
(c) Proud and apprehensive.
(d) Content and happy.
3. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
(a) Hard-working and content.
(b) Shrewd and attentive.
(c) Catatonic and silent.
(d) Unreasonable and dissatisfied.
4. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
(a) Devote himself to his wife.
(b) Consume himself with work.
(c) Separate himself from the house.
(d) Begin to drink.
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's wife demonstrated mental problems?
(a) Jealous rages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marya's depression return?
2. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
3. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
4. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
5. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)