|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Death of Ivan Ilych.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
(a) They declare a truce.
(b) They fall out of love.
(c) They separate.
(d) They resume hostilities.
2. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A law school graduate.
(c) A bureaucrat.
(d) A doctor.
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As goddesses.
(b) As warriors.
(c) As equals.
(d) As beasts of burden.
4. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) At Beletsky's party.
(b) When he moves in with her family.
(c) When he sees her baking bread.
(d) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
2. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
3. Why does Marya's depression return?
4. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
5. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)