|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Cossacks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are perfect.
(b) That they are flawed.
(c) That they are independent.
(d) That they each depend on the other.
2. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) New technology.
(b) Planting crops.
(c) International politics.
(d) The plight of workers.
3. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(b) Katherine the Great.
(c) Original Russian migrants.
4. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her housekeeping.
(b) Her ignorance of French literature.
(c) Her dark sense of humor.
(d) Her coquettish nature.
5. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
(a) A bureaucrat.
(b) A military cadet.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A shop keeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Sergey's personality does Marya respond to?
2. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
3. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
4. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
5. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)