|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Cossacks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To look for adventure.
(b) To serve the Tsar.
(c) For a business deal.
(d) To escape from his debts.
2. What topics does Sergey capture Marya's curiosity about?
(a) New technology.
(b) International politics.
(c) The plight of workers.
(d) Planting crops.
3. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
(a) As beasts of burden.
(b) As goddesses.
(c) As warriors.
(d) As equals.
4. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
(a) Self-destructive behavior.
5. What does Sergey tease Marya about?
(a) Her housekeeping.
(b) Her coquettish nature.
(c) Her ignorance of French literature.
(d) Her dark sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
2. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
3. What causes Marya Alexandrovna's depression?
4. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
5. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)