|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Cossacks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
(a) To look for adventure.
(b) To escape from his debts.
(c) For a business deal.
(d) To serve the Tsar.
2. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
(d) Self-destructive behavior.
3. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) Complete relief.
(b) Temporary relief.
(c) They exacerbate the depression.
(d) They make her genuinely ill.
4. What does Dmitri encounter in the Caucasus?
(a) A complex culture.
(b) Dull routine at a military outpost.
(c) Coarse locals.
(d) Bloody warfare.
5. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
(a) A life of ease.
(b) Escape from prison.
(c) Freedom from persecution.
(d) A heroic future.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the relationship between Marya and Sergey turn romantic?
2. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
4. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
5. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)