|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Death of Ivan Ilych.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
(a) At Beletsky's party.
(b) When she tells him of her engagement to Lukashka.
(c) When he moves in with her family.
(d) When he sees her baking bread.
2. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
(a) That they are independent.
(b) That they each depend on the other.
(c) That they are flawed.
(d) That they are perfect.
3. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
(a) They make her genuinely ill.
(b) They exacerbate the depression.
(c) Temporary relief.
(d) Complete relief.
4. What causes Sergey to declare that everything is over between himself and Marya?
(a) Her affair with a Frenchman.
(b) Her suicide attempt.
(c) Her illness and depression.
(d) A jealous rage.
5. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
(a) Respectful and moderately affectionate.
(b) Indifferent to each other.
(d) Head over heels in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
2. What effect does the Russian winter have on Marya?
3. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
4. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
5. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)