|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Father Sergius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
(a) As a provincial magistrate.
(b) As a foot soldier.
(c) As a clerk.
(d) As an intern.
2. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
(a) He sees doctor after doctor with no result.
(b) He applies for a pension and retires.
(c) He works less and less and reads and becomes philosophical.
(d) He still works, but it exhausts him.
3. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
(a) He was sent to a tutor in Moscow.
(b) He was sent to Europe for education.
(c) He was enrolled in military school.
(d) He was kept at home to be educated.
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
(b) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
(c) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(d) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
5. What doest Stepan Kasatsky tell Countess Korotkova?
(a) That he was terribly devoted.
(b) That his love for her scared him.
(c) That he would kill her if he ever found out she betrayed him.
(d) That she made him a better person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
2. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
3. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
4. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
5. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)