|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does Catherine remember her mother telling her was missing from the sign of Malone Place?
2. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
3. What does Liz do to try and reassure Catherine about her performance?
4. What does Catherine want to learn how to do?
5. What did Catherine do when she was a child and her parents fought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine hear when the midwife is delivering her child?
2. What excuse does Dave give to Catherine for not coming to see her and Anna in the hospital?
3. What comparison does Catherine make between the suckling of a baby and her music?
4. What does Catherine think about when she can't get to sleep for a long time?
5. What names had Catherine and Dave chosen for their child?
6. What happens in regards to Catherine's contractions and what do the sisters tell her to do?
7. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
8. Why is Dave able to do work that the big boats cannot do?
9. What is Catherine given as a reward for passing her qualifying exam?
10. How does Catherine's father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas and how does Catherine react to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Catherine isolated? Does she isolate herself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Catherine feel when she tells her mother about Anna? How does Catherine's mother react? Why do you think she reacts this way?
Essay Topic 3
What does Catherine focus on while she is in Ireland? Why do you think she focuses on this? Does this help or harm her? Why do you feel this way?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)