|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the nuns tell Catherine to walk around?
2. Which piece of furniture is Catherine most proud of?
3. The day after she gives birth, Catherine is struck by what realization she makes about her daughter?
4. What letter does Catherine remember her mother telling her was missing from the sign of Malone Place?
5. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
2. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
3. What does Catherine want to tell her mother after giving birth to Anna?
4. What does Liz almost quiz Catherine about and why?
5. What is Catherine working on that she remembered learning from her Granny Boyd.
6. What does Catherine remember one of her music teachers saying about lullabies?
7. How are the people at Rotten Row and what does Catherine decide to do about it?
8. How does Catherine say she feels throughout her pregnancy?
9. What does Catherine's Granny say is terrible and what must it be worse than?
10. Who takes Catherine to the ambulance and what does he tell her about the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For what does Catherine feel guilty? Is this guilt justified? Would you have handled things differently than Catherine did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is Miss Bingham's real purpose in Catherine's life? How does Catherine repay Miss Bingham? Do you believe Catherine treats Miss Bingham well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)