|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine believe Christmas carols celebrate?
2. What does Catherine find to be a repetition she wants to escape?
3. Why does Catherine call the district nurse?
4. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
5. Why do the nuns tell Catherine to walk around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine learn about St. Cecilia and how does it affect her?
2. How are the people at Rotten Row and what does Catherine decide to do about it?
3. How does Catherine relax while she is experiencing the labor pains?
4. How does Catherine's father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas and how does Catherine react to him?
5. What would Catherine do when her parents would fight?
6. What happens when Catherine and Cranny are sewing or making hot water for tea?
7. What is Catherine given as a reward for passing her qualifying exam?
8. What does Catherine tell Liz was the reason for her phone call?
9. What names had Catherine and Dave chosen for their child?
10. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Catherine's creation of music mirror the way she views her child? How does she feel about both? Does she love one more? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does Catherine focus on while she is in Ireland? Why do you think she focuses on this? Does this help or harm her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
What is one of the central tenants of Taoism? How is Taoism related to Catherine? How does it affect her beliefs about music?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)