|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Catherine ask her mother about that her mother ignored and pretended not to hear?
2. How does Catherine get to the plane?
3. Which of the following terms best describes how Catherine feels about the night her students play the mass she is working on?
4. Who visits Catherine and brings her flowers?
5. What will Catherine miss about being in the hospital with the nurses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine's father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas and how does Catherine react to him?
2. What does Catherine remember one of her music teachers saying about lullabies?
3. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
4. What does Catherine want to tell her mother after giving birth to Anna?
5. How does Catherine relax while she is experiencing the labor pains?
6. What names had Catherine and Dave chosen for their child?
7. What does Catherine's Granny say is terrible and what must it be worse than?
8. What comparison does Catherine make between the suckling of a baby and her music?
9. Who takes Catherine to the ambulance and what does he tell her about the hospital?
10. What does Catherine realize about the celebration of birth through music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author has the flashback portion of the novel come after the death of her father? Do you think it worked to place it in part 2? Would you have placed it here? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Where does Catherine go when she becomes overwhelmed by her parents' fighting? How does this relationship help Catherine?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are Catherine's parents responsible for the separation between them? In what ways is Catherine responsible for the separation? Who do you believe is more to blame and why do you feel that way?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)