|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Catherine call the district nurse?
2. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
3. How long does it take Catherine to learn to drive?
4. What does Liz say about Anna?
5. What does Catherine now understand about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine describe Dave's work and how does she feel about it?
2. What does Catherine remember one of her music teachers saying about lullabies?
3. What does Catherine tell Liz was the reason for her phone call?
4. What is Catherine given as a reward for passing her qualifying exam?
5. What does Catherine want to tell her mother after giving birth to Anna?
6. What is Catherine working on that she remembered learning from her Granny Boyd.
7. What does Liz almost quiz Catherine about and why?
8. What happens when Catherine and Cranny are sewing or making hot water for tea?
9. Why is Dave able to do work that the big boats cannot do?
10. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Catherine isolated? Does she isolate herself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are Catherine's parents responsible for the separation between them? In what ways is Catherine responsible for the separation? Who do you believe is more to blame and why do you feel that way?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)