|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine find to be a repetition she wants to escape?
2. How does Catherine believe her father will react to the news he will soon be a grandfather?
3. What complaint does Catherine have when she goes to the doctor?
4. Who does Catherine call and tell that she had a baby girl?
5. Why does Catherine sound drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine think about when she can't get to sleep for a long time?
2. Why is Dave able to do work that the big boats cannot do?
3. What names had Catherine and Dave chosen for their child?
4. What does Catherine remember one of her music teachers saying about lullabies?
5. How does Catherine feel the day she leaves the hospital?
6. What does Liz almost quiz Catherine about and why?
7. What does Catherine's Granny say is terrible and what must it be worse than?
8. Why does Catherine decide she shouldn't pray to God?
9. Who takes Catherine to the ambulance and what does he tell her about the hospital?
10. What does Catherine learn about St. Cecilia and how does it affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Postpartum depression affect Catherine? Do you think Catherine may have been depressed before she had the baby? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is one of the central tenants of Taoism? How is Taoism related to Catherine? How does it affect her beliefs about music?
Essay Topic 3
In what way can Catherine be viewed as he prodigal daughter? Do you think this is an accurate description of her? Why or why not?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)