|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did her parents give Catherine when she was eleven and passed her qualifying exam?
2. What does the nurse put in Catherine's bath water?
3. Why aren't Catherine and Liz able to study the geography of the island?
4. Why doesn't Catherine take the rides offered at the airport from two different people?
5. Who visits Catherine and brings her flowers?
Essay Topic 1
For what does Catherine feel guilty? Is this guilt justified? Would you have handled things differently than Catherine did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is one of the central tenants of Taoism? How is Taoism related to Catherine? How does it affect her beliefs about music?
Essay Topic 3
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)