|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Catherine get most of her furniture?
2. What does Catherine remember will happen if the baby stops feeding?
3. Who does Catherine call and tell that she had a baby girl?
4. What will Catherine get to join if she finishes Vernicle?
5. Which word does Catherine use to describe how she is worried about her composition as rehearsals start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine working on that she remembered learning from her Granny Boyd.
2. Why does Catherine decide she shouldn't pray to God?
3. What happens in regards to Catherine's contractions and what do the sisters tell her to do?
4. How does Catherine feel the day she leaves the hospital?
5. What does Catherine remember happening between her and her parents and what does she do because of it during her postgraduate year in Glasgow?
6. What does Liz almost quiz Catherine about and why?
7. What names had Catherine and Dave chosen for their child?
8. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
9. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
10. What does Catherine realize about the celebration of birth through music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Catherine's creation of music mirror the way she views her child? How does she feel about both? Does she love one more? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Catherine tolerates Dave for so long? Why do you think she changed her mind? Do you agree with her decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author has the flashback portion of the novel come after the death of her father? Do you think it worked to place it in part 2? Would you have placed it here? Why or why not?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)