|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the descriptors Catherine uses for her daughter right after she is born?
2. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
3. What does putting pieces of music together remind Catherine of?
4. What do the breathing strategies the nurse wants Catherine to use during labor remind her of?
5. Why does Catherine sound drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine learn about St. Cecilia and how does it affect her?
2. What does Catherine's Granny say is terrible and what must it be worse than?
3. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
4. How does Catherine describe Dave's work and how does she feel about it?
5. What does Catherine hear when the midwife is delivering her child?
6. What does Catherine think about when she can't get to sleep for a long time?
7. How does Catherine feel the day she leaves the hospital?
8. What comparison does Catherine make between the suckling of a baby and her music?
9. How are the people at Rotten Row and what does Catherine decide to do about it?
10. How does Catherine say she feels throughout her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Catherine go when she becomes overwhelmed by her parents' fighting? How does this relationship help Catherine?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author has the flashback portion of the novel come after the death of her father? Do you think it worked to place it in part 2? Would you have placed it here? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
For what does Catherine feel guilty? Is this guilt justified? Would you have handled things differently than Catherine did? Why or why not?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)