|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does putting pieces of music together remind Catherine of?
2. What does Liz say about Anna?
3. What trick did Catherine's mother tell her about that might help her sleep?
4. What happens when Catherine gets to the airport?
5. What does Catherine remember that a teacher once told her all lullabies were about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine feel the day she leaves the hospital?
2. What does Catherine realize she is doing when she hears herself talking about how lovely her daughter is?
3. What does Catherine tell Liz was the reason for her phone call?
4. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
5. Why is Dave able to do work that the big boats cannot do?
6. Why does Catherine decide she shouldn't pray to God?
7. How are the people at Rotten Row and what does Catherine decide to do about it?
8. What does Liz almost quiz Catherine about and why?
9. What does Catherine remember happening between her and her parents and what does she do because of it during her postgraduate year in Glasgow?
10. What does Catherine want to tell her mother after giving birth to Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Catherine see Ireland through the eyes of a child? In what ways does she see Ireland as if for the first time?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Catherine's parents responsible for the separation between them? In what ways is Catherine responsible for the separation? Who do you believe is more to blame and why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)