|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vow does Catherine make in regards to her daughter right after she is born?
2. Why does Catherine look at the nun's face as she is checking the baby's vital signs?
3. What does Catherine remember will happen if the baby stops feeding?
4. How much money does Catherine say she will get for the composition she is working on called Vernicle?
5. What do the breathing strategies the nurse wants Catherine to use during labor remind her of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
2. What does Catherine learn about St. Cecilia and how does it affect her?
3. What does Catherine realize she is doing when she hears herself talking about how lovely her daughter is?
4. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
5. What does Liz almost quiz Catherine about and why?
6. How does Catherine describe Dave's work and how does she feel about it?
7. How does Catherine relax while she is experiencing the labor pains?
8. What does Catherine tell Liz was the reason for her phone call?
9. What is Catherine working on that she remembered learning from her Granny Boyd.
10. Why does Catherine decide she shouldn't pray to God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Catherine have to come to grips with her past? What steps does she take to make this happen? Do you think she took the right steps? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Catherine isolated? Does she isolate herself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way can Catherine be viewed as he prodigal daughter? Do you think this is an accurate description of her? Why or why not?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)