|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
2. How does Catherine's mother react to the news that Catherine had a child?
3. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
4. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
5. How does Catherine feel when she wakes up at four thirty the morning after her father's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
2. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
3. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
4. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
5. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
6. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
7. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
8. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
9. Why is the pub closed?
10. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Postpartum depression affect Catherine? Do you think Catherine may have been depressed before she had the baby? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Catherine tolerates Dave for so long? Why do you think she changed her mind? Do you agree with her decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)