|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine feel when she looks down at Anna?
2. What does Catherine think her father would have hated in the piece she played on the radio?
3. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
4. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
5. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
2. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
3. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
4. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
5. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
6. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
7. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
8. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
9. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
10. What was one of the things her first music teacher taught Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Catherine get her love of music? Who shows her how to work with this love? How does this love help her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
What is one of the central tenants of Taoism? How is Taoism related to Catherine? How does it affect her beliefs about music?
Essay Topic 3
What influence do you think Anna has had on Catherine's life? Why do you think she has had this influence?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)