|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
2. What did Catherine have to do after she got caught lying?
3. How old was Catherine when she started taking piano lessons?
4. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
5. How much was the prize when Catherine won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award for her Piano Trio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
2. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
3. What happens in regards to Catherine's contractions and what do the sisters tell her to do?
4. How does Catherine's father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas and how does Catherine react to him?
5. What is Catherine given as a reward for passing her qualifying exam?
6. What does Catherine remember happening between her and her parents and what does she do because of it during her postgraduate year in Glasgow?
7. What does Catherine want to tell her mother after giving birth to Anna?
8. What did Catherine play for her mother and how did her mother react?
9. How does Catherine describe Dave's work and how does she feel about it?
10. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Catherine isolated? Does she isolate herself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Postpartum depression affect Catherine? Do you think Catherine may have been depressed before she had the baby? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)