|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine look for as she rides through her hometown?
2. What was Catherine's job for Christmas dinner?
3. What does Catherine decide to wear to her father's funeral?
4. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
5. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
2. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
3. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
4. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
5. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
6. Why doesn't Catherine play very well when she is playing for Melnichuch and what is his response to her playing?
7. What was one of the things her first music teacher taught Catherine?
8. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
9. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
10. How did Catherine feel about the drums and how did they make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Catherine focus on while she is in Ireland? Why do you think she focuses on this? Does this help or harm her? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 2
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Catherin show she is unsure and steady? In what ways does she show that she is ready to move forward?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)