|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of depression does Catherine confess to her mother she has?
2. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
3. What does Catherine's mother say about her after learning she had a child?
4. How does Miss Bingham feel about Catherine?
5. How does Catherine's mother want to walk home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
2. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
3. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
4. How does Catherine wake up from her nap in the spare room?
5. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
6. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
7. What does Catherine remember about her father?
8. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
9. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
10. Why is the pub closed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way can Catherine be viewed as he prodigal daughter? Do you think this is an accurate description of her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Catherine isolated? Does she isolate herself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Catherine see Ireland through the eyes of a child? In what ways does she see Ireland as if for the first time?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)