|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Catherine's mother cry and repeat over and over?
2. How does Catherine decide to head home from the airport?
3. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
4. Where does Miss Bingham get her only comfort?
5. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
2. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
3. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
4. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
5. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
6. What did Catherine play for her mother and how did her mother react?
7. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
8. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
9. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
10. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Postpartum depression affect Catherine? Do you think Catherine may have been depressed before she had the baby? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Catherine's parents responsible for the separation between them? In what ways is Catherine responsible for the separation? Who do you believe is more to blame and why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
In what way can Catherine be viewed as he prodigal daughter? Do you think this is an accurate description of her? Why or why not?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)