|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
2. Which of the following is the main character of this novel?
3. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
4. Why did Miss Bingham ride her bicycle?
5. How did Catherine's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the pub closed?
2. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
3. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
4. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
5. What was one of the things her first music teacher taught Catherine?
6. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
7. How does Catherine's father look when she sees him again?
8. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
9. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
10. How did Catherine feel about the drums and how did they make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For what does Catherine feel guilty? Is this guilt justified? Would you have handled things differently than Catherine did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are Catherine's parents responsible for the separation between them? In what ways is Catherine responsible for the separation? Who do you believe is more to blame and why do you feel that way?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)