|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine's mother notice and ask her about when she wakes her up?
2. Who is Catherine thinking about as she boards the plane?
3. What does Catherine tell Miss Bingham she is working on?
4. How does Anna get from the plane to her hometown?
5. What does Catherine look for as she rides through her hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
2. How does Catherine's father look when she sees him again?
3. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
4. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
5. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
6. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
7. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
8. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
9. What does Catherine remember about her father?
10. What does Catherine remember about her teachers and classmates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Catherine have to come to grips with her past? What steps does she take to make this happen? Do you think she took the right steps? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Catherine's creation of music mirror the way she views her child? How does she feel about both? Does she love one more? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is Miss Bingham's real purpose in Catherine's life? How does Catherine repay Miss Bingham? Do you believe Catherine treats Miss Bingham well? Why or why not?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)