|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Anna?
2. Where does Miss Bingham get her only comfort?
3. Who is Catherine thinking about as she boards the plane?
4. How does Miss Bingham react to hearing that Catherine had a child?
5. Why does Catherine tell her mother she is working on a mass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
2. What did Catherine play for her mother and how did her mother react?
3. How did Catherine feel about the drums and how did they make her feel?
4. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
5. Why is the pub closed?
6. What does Catherine remember about her father?
7. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
8. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
9. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
10. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author has the flashback portion of the novel come after the death of her father? Do you think it worked to place it in part 2? Would you have placed it here? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Postpartum depression affect Catherine? Do you think Catherine may have been depressed before she had the baby? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
For what does Catherine feel guilty? Is this guilt justified? Would you have handled things differently than Catherine did? Why or why not?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)