|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine decide to wear to her father's funeral?
2. Which of the following was one of the changes Catherine noticed to her house?
3. How does Catherine's mother tell her that her relative was treated for depression?
4. Where does Catherine stop on the way to Miss Bingham's house?
5. Who does her mother say will do Catherine's hair for the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
2. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
3. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
4. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
5. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
6. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
7. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
8. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
9. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
10. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine feel when she tells her mother about Anna? How does Catherine's mother react? Why do you think she reacts this way?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Catherine's parents responsible for the separation between them? In what ways is Catherine responsible for the separation? Who do you believe is more to blame and why do you feel that way?
Essay Topic 3
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)