|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine's mother react to the news that Catherine had a child?
2. What kind of thoughts does Catherine try to control on the ride to see Anna?
3. What does Catherine think the drumming is?
4. Where does Miss Bingham get her only comfort?
5. How does Catherine feel about her desire to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine's father look when she sees him again?
2. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
3. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
4. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
5. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
6. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
7. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
8. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
9. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
10. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Catherine's creation of music mirror the way she views her child? How does she feel about both? Does she love one more? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine feel when she tells her mother about Anna? How does Catherine's mother react? Why do you think she reacts this way?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)