|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine's mother react to the news that Catherine had a child?
2. How does Catherine's mother want to walk home?
3. Where did Miss Bingham often take Catherine?
4. What was Catherine's job for Christmas dinner?
5. What does Catherine wonder how to tell her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
2. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
3. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
4. How does Catherine wake up from her nap in the spare room?
5. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
6. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
7. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
8. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
9. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
10. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Catherine isolated? Does she isolate herself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What influence do you think Anna has had on Catherine's life? Why do you think she has had this influence?
Essay Topic 3
What is Miss Bingham's real purpose in Catherine's life? How does Catherine repay Miss Bingham? Do you believe Catherine treats Miss Bingham well? Why or why not?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)