|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine think her father would have hated in the piece she played on the radio?
2. Why does Catherine tell her mother she is working on a mass?
3. What disease does Catherine suffer from?
4. What does Catherine take with her when she goes to take a nap?
5. What does Catherine think about when she watches and hears the dirt being thrown on her father's coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
2. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
3. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
4. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
5. How does Catherine wake up from her nap in the spare room?
6. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
7. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
8. Why doesn't Catherine play very well when she is playing for Melnichuch and what is his response to her playing?
9. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
10. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Miss Bingham's real purpose in Catherine's life? How does Catherine repay Miss Bingham? Do you believe Catherine treats Miss Bingham well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is one of the central tenants of Taoism? How is Taoism related to Catherine? How does it affect her beliefs about music?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)