|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine have to do after she got caught lying?
2. What happens when Catherine and Anna look at each other in the mirror?
3. Where is Catherine's home now?
4. When they get back to the pub after the funeral, what is Catherine overwhelmed with a desire to do?
5. What does Catherine's favorite composer ask her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
2. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
3. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
4. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
5. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
6. Why doesn't Catherine play very well when she is playing for Melnichuch and what is his response to her playing?
7. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
8. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
9. What does Catherine remember about her father?
10. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Catherine get her love of music? Who shows her how to work with this love? How does this love help her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Catherine tolerates Dave for so long? Why do you think she changed her mind? Do you agree with her decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)