Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
2. What does Catherine's favorite composer ask her to do?
3. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
4. How does Catherine's mother tell her that her relative was treated for depression?
5. What was Catherine's job for Christmas dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
2. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
3. What does Catherine remember one of her music teachers saying about lullabies?
4. What does Catherine tell Liz was the reason for her phone call?
5. How does Catherine relax while she is experiencing the labor pains?
6. What does Catherine think about when she can't get to sleep for a long time?
7. What comparison does Catherine make between the suckling of a baby and her music?
8. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
9. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
10. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
What does Catherine focus on while she is in Ireland? Why do you think she focuses on this? Does this help or harm her? Why do you feel this way?
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
What is one of the central tenants of Taoism? How is Taoism related to Catherine? How does it affect her beliefs about music?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)