|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine's music give to Miss Bingham?
2. Where does Catherine stop on the way to Miss Bingham's house?
3. Where is Catherine's home now?
4. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
5. How does Catherine's favorite composer respond when she asks him about music and influences?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
2. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
3. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
4. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
5. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
6. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
7. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
8. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
9. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
10. What was one of the things her first music teacher taught Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Catherine get her love of music? Who shows her how to work with this love? How does this love help her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the title of the novel have to do with the plot and ideas introduced in the novel? Do you believe it is a good title? Why or why not?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)