|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
2. What did Catherine's music give to Miss Bingham?
3. How did Miss Bingham describe Catherine's work?
4. What does Liz tell Catherine?
5. Which of the following characters does Catherine realize died and received a military grave while she was in Scotland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
2. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
3. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
4. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
5. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
6. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
7. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
8. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
9. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
10. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first half of the novel, two worlds clash for Catherine. What are these two worlds? Why do you think they clash? Is this clash ever resolved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What influence do you think Anna has had on Catherine's life? Why do you think she has had this influence?
Essay Topic 3
In what way can Catherine be viewed as he prodigal daughter? Do you think this is an accurate description of her? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)