|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine wonder if she should pray?
(a) The pain is so intense.
(b) Her father would think better of her.
(c) The nuns are not there to help her.
(d) She doesn't believe in God.
2. What will Catherine get to join if she finishes Vernicle?
(a) Performing Rights Society.
(b) College faculty.
(c) European Broadcasting Union.
(d) Church of Scotland.
3. How does Catherine find Anna to be?
4. What were Catherine and Liz planning when Catherine met Dave?
(a) A vacation to the beach.
(b) A geography field trip.
(c) A concert under the stars.
(d) A cloud watching excursion.
5. What does Catherine want music to celebrate?
(a) The human life cycle.
(b) The idea that miracles happen daily.
(c) The birth of an ordinary girl.
(d) The surprise of unexpected feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Catherine ask her mother about that her mother ignored and pretended not to hear?
2. Why was Liz shocked that Catherine had a child?
3. What will Catherine miss about being in the hospital with the nurses?
4. Why does Catherine think Janet is making small talk with Catherine?
5. What does the nurse put in Catherine's bath water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dave able to do work that the big boats cannot do?
2. What happens when Catherine and Cranny are sewing or making hot water for tea?
3. What does Catherine realize will happen the longer she lives without telling her parents about her child?
4. How does Catherine feel the day she leaves the hospital?
5. What does Catherine want to tell her mother after giving birth to Anna?
6. How does Catherine relax while she is experiencing the labor pains?
7. How does Catherine say she feels throughout her pregnancy?
8. What would Catherine do when her parents would fight?
9. What does Catherine remember her mother telling her about Catherine's birth?
10. What does Catherine realize she is doing when she hears herself talking about how lovely her daughter is?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)