|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His cussing.
(b) His public displays of affection.
(c) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(d) His drunken behavior.
2. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
3. Which of the following is the main character of this novel?
4. Why does Catherine say that her music was in the newspaper?
(a) Because she is a Roman Catholic using Protestant drums.
(b) Because she has been very fortunate.
(c) Because she is an unmarried pregnant woman.
(d) Because she is a woman in a man's world.
5. How did Miss Bingham describe Catherine's work?
(a) Powerful and difficult.
(b) Moody and changing.
(c) Inconsistent and spiraling.
(d) Surprising and catchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Catherine have a child?
2. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
3. What is Catherine thinking about when she wakes up at four thirty in the morning?
4. How does Catherine's mother react to the news that Catherine had a child?
5. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
2. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
3. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
4. What happened to Catherine when she was a child and had the flu?
5. Why doesn't Catherine play very well when she is playing for Melnichuch and what is his response to her playing?
6. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
7. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
8. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
9. What does Catherine remember about her teachers and classmates?
10. What did Catherine play for her mother and how did her mother react?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)