|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Catherine's favorite composer?
2. What does Catherine decide will save her?
(a) Her positive thoughts.
(b) Her work.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
3. What are grace notes according to this novel?
(a) The hidden melody in a piece.
(b) Short, quick notes.
(c) Extra notes in a composition.
(d) Notes between musical notes.
4. What kind of depression does Catherine confess to her mother she has?
(a) Schizophrenic depression.
(b) Post-natal depression.
(c) Bi-polar depression.
(d) Manic depression.
5. Why does Catherine say that her music was in the newspaper?
(a) Because she is a woman in a man's world.
(b) Because she is a Roman Catholic using Protestant drums.
(c) Because she is an unmarried pregnant woman.
(d) Because she has been very fortunate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was one of the changes Catherine noticed to her house?
2. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
3. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
4. What does Catherine look for as she rides through her hometown?
5. How old was Catherine when she started taking piano lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Catherine play for her mother and how did her mother react?
2. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
3. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
4. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
5. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
6. Where does Mrs. MeKenna go when they come back from the funeral and what does she tell those that offer her condolences?
7. What does Catherine remember about her teachers and classmates?
8. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
9. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
10. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)