|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Catherine's father die?
(a) Cancer that slowly took his life.
(b) A stroke in his sleep.
(c) A massive heart attack in the pub.
(d) A pneumonia like illness in the hospital.
2. What does Catherine think about when she watches and hears the dirt being thrown on her father's coffin?
(a) When she first moved out of her parents home.
(b) A Christmas Eve when she was 11.
(c) How her mother and father loved each other.
(d) The first time she played the piano for her father.
3. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His public displays of affection.
(b) His drunken behavior.
(c) His cussing.
(d) His constant loud complaining of other people.
4. What does Catherine say to her mother when she sees her for the first time?
(a) She apologizes.
(b) She is angry she wasn't notified sooner.
(c) She asks what happened.
(d) She can't speak and only cries.
5. What does Catherine think her father would have hated in the piece she played on the radio?
(a) The accompaniment.
(b) The length.
(c) The drums.
(d) The speed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
2. What did Miss Bingham like for Catherine to watch during concerts?
3. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
4. Where did Miss Bingham often take Catherine?
5. What does Catherine think the drumming is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine decide she can't wear jeans to her father's funeral?
2. How did Catherine feel about the drums and how did they make her feel?
3. How does Catherine wake up from her nap in the spare room?
4. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
5. What does Catherine remember that her father taught her and how did it make her feel?
6. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
7. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
8. Why doesn't Catherine play very well when she is playing for Melnichuch and what is his response to her playing?
9. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
10. What was one of the things her first music teacher taught Catherine?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)