|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Miss Bingham like for Catherine to watch during concerts?
(a) The audience.
(b) The conductor.
(c) The violinist.
(d) The pianist.
2. What does Catherine's mother say about her after learning she had a child?
(a) She is dishonest.
(b) She is unclean.
(c) She is a heathen.
(d) She is dirty.
3. Catherine's mother accuses Catherine of what in regard to her mother's religious beliefs?
(a) Demeaning them.
(b) Mistreating them.
(c) Reinforcing them.
(d) Mocking them.
4. Where did Miss Bingham often take Catherine?
(a) London for plays.
(b) Concerts in Belfast.
(c) Scotland for recitals.
(d) Tea parties in Belgrade.
5. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
(a) To visit her new nephew.
(b) To play a concert.
(c) Her father's funeral.
(d) For a vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Catherine's favorite composer?
2. Why does Catherine's mother want them to go to the graveyard the day after her father was buried?
3. What does Catherine think her father would have hated in the piece she played on the radio?
4. What was the first lie Catherine had ever told about?
5. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Catherine play very well when she is playing for Melnichuch and what is his response to her playing?
2. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
3. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
4. What excuse does Catherine offer on the walk home when her mother asks what is wrong?
5. What does Catherine think had been improving until this situation and what did her doctor tell her about it?
6. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
7. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
8. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
9. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
10. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)