|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
(a) Her parents' bedroom.
(b) To the main floor of the pub.
(c) Down to the funeral home.
(d) Her childhood bedroom.
2. What does Catherine's mother make her to calm her down?
(a) Some fresh chips.
(b) A nice meal.
(d) Warm milk.
3. What did the Chinese restaurant have to do to be able to stay in business?
(a) Rent out an apartment.
(b) Sell souvenirs to tourists.
(c) Sell chips.
(d) Take in laundry.
4. Why can't Miss Bingham play the piano anymore?
(a) She cannot see the music anymore.
(b) Her piano was repossessed.
(c) Her coughing constantly interrupts her.
(d) Her arthritis is so bad.
5. Where did Miss Bingham often take Catherine?
(a) Concerts in Belfast.
(b) Tea parties in Belgrade.
(c) London for plays.
(d) Scotland for recitals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
2. What does Catherine say to her mother when she sees her for the first time?
3. Which of the following was one of the changes Catherine noticed to her house?
4. What does Catherine's mother notice and ask her about when she wakes her up?
5. Where is Catherine's home now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Catherine play for her mother and how did her mother react?
2. How did Catherine react to the praise she received from Lemberg when she won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award?
3. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
4. What does Catherine remember about her teachers and classmates?
5. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
6. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
7. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
8. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
9. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
10. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)