|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine say to her mother when she sees her for the first time?
(a) She can't speak and only cries.
(b) She apologizes.
(c) She asks what happened.
(d) She is angry she wasn't notified sooner.
2. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
3. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
4. How does Catherine feel when she looks down at Anna?
5. What does Catherine ask before she agrees to play the organ at the formal services for her father the next day?
(a) If there will be a lot of people there.
(b) If there is someone else to do it.
(c) If it is the same organ from her childhood.
(d) If he has the music already picked out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna get from the plane to her hometown?
2. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
3. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
4. What are grace notes according to this novel?
5. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
2. When Catherine and her mother go to pick up her father at the train station and he is drunk, how does Catherine feel?
3. What does the young priest who performed Catherine's father's ceremony ask her?
4. What does Catherine notice as she enters the living quarters above the pub?
5. What does Catherine remember Huang as being able to get away with?
6. How did Catherine feel about the drums and how did they make her feel?
7. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
8. What do Catherine and her mother see at the grave site when they go to visit?
9. What was one of the things her first music teacher taught Catherine?
10. What did Catherine remember listening to as she rode on the bus through her hometown?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)