|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
(a) A disappointment.
(b) A proper lady.
(d) A heathen.
2. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
(a) He falls asleep in the chair.
(b) He interrupts her.
(c) His dog tries to mount her.
(d) His wife faints and has to be taken away.
3. What are grace notes according to this novel?
(a) Extra notes in a composition.
(b) Short, quick notes.
(c) Notes between musical notes.
(d) The hidden melody in a piece.
4. Catherine's mother accuses Catherine of what in regard to her mother's religious beliefs?
(a) Reinforcing them.
(b) Mocking them.
(c) Demeaning them.
(d) Mistreating them.
5. What does Catherine decide will save her?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her work.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her positive thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine decide to wear to her father's funeral?
2. How does Catherine's mother react to the news that Catherine had a child?
3. Why does Catherine throw away the note she found?
4. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
5. What kind of business did Catherine's father own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Catherine's hometown according to the bus driver?
2. What does Catherine remember about her father?
3. How does Paddy comfort Catherine and how does she know him?
4. What happens as Catherine plays a song she hasn't finished writing for Melnichuck?
5. Why does Geraldine think she and Catherine are single?
6. How did Catherine feel about the drums and how did they make her feel?
7. How did the salt shaker get a crease in it?
8. What question did Huang Xiao Gang ask Catherine and what does she remember him discussing about sound?
9. When did the salt shaker at Catherine's home get a crease in it?
10. How did Catherine's father explain the Orangemen to Catherine?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)