|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine believe Christmas carols celebrate?
(a) The God-part of Jesus.
(b) The idea that life is a miracle.
(c) The human-part of Jesus.
(d) The need for celebration.
2. What does Catherine remember will happen if the baby stops feeding?
(a) Mother will not bond with the baby.
(b) Milk will dry up.
(c) Baby will be more likely to die.
(d) Baby will be unhealthy.
3. Why doesn't Dave want to teach Catherine to drive?
(a) He doesn't have a car.
(b) He wants to control her.
(c) He doesn't know how to drive.
(d) He wants to avoid fights.
4. Why is Catherine leaving Dave?
(a) Because she found out Anna is not his.
(b) Because she doesn't love him.
(c) Because he keeps hitting her.
(d) Because she wants to start a new part of her life.
5. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
(a) It involves flashbacks and flash forwards.
(b) It takes place in the past.
(c) It takes place in the future.
(d) It involves only characters not in part one.
6. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
7. Why was Liz shocked that Catherine had a child?
(a) She thought she was moving back home.
(b) She knows it will impede her music career.
(c) She had never noticed she was pregnant.
(d) She didn't know she was married.
8. Why does Catherine look at the nun's face as she is checking the baby's vital signs?
(a) To see if she recognizes her.
(b) To make sure she understands what is happening.
(c) To make sure she will be nice.
(d) To see if everything is all right.
9. Catherine comes to realize that for her a car is a what?
10. How does Catherine get to the plane?
(b) The nurse takes her.
(c) Liz drives her.
(d) Dave drives her.
11. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
(a) Breathing rhythm in three-note sequence.
(b) The breathing and panting required in labor.
(c) A sequence of highs and lows like life.
(d) A drum beat steady and true like a heart beat.
12. What did Catherine do when she was a child and her parents fought?
(a) Hide in her room.
(b) Go to Granny Boyd's.
(c) Try to make the fighting stop.
(d) Play her music louder.
13. What does Catherine think she should write a manual about?
(a) How to incorporate rounds into other melodies.
(b) How to get buy on little money.
(c) How to write music for the piano.
(d) How to play the piano when pregnant.
14. Why does Catherine call the district nurse?
(a) To let her know she made it home safely.
(b) To ask her for help leaving Dave.
(c) To let her know she will be moving soon..
(d) To ask for advice on how to feed Anna.
15. Which of the following is not one of the reasons Catherine packs up all of her things?
(a) She doesn't want Dave to benefit from anything she leaves behind.
(b) They hold too many memories that she doesn't want to lose.
(c) She can't bear to abandon anything.
(d) She was being kicked out by Dave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine want music to celebrate?
2. What vow does Catherine make in regards to her daughter right after she is born?
3. Where is Dave when Catherine packs up all of her things?
4. Why do the nuns tell Catherine to walk around?
5. What does Dave tell Catherine when he meets her for the first time?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)