|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does Catherine have when she goes to the doctor?
(a) Dave is beating her up.
(b) Anna is into too many different things.
(c) She isn't being a good enough mother.
(d) She isn't getting enough sleep.
2. What does Catherine tell her father is the reason she won't be home for Christmas?
(a) She has to work to pay for school.
(b) She won a scholarship.
(c) She doesn't want to talk to them anymore.
(d) She is tired of fighting.
3. What does the nurse put in Catherine's bath water?
(c) Coarse salt.
(d) Lotion and oil.
4. Why aren't Catherine and Liz able to study the geography of the island?
(a) Too drunk to do the work.
(b) The weather.
(c) Not enough money.
(d) Their agendas.
5. Why doesn't Dave come to the hospital?
(a) He is angry with Catherine.
(b) He prefers to work.
(c) He has no way to get to the hospital.
(d) He doesn't care about his child.
6. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
(a) It involves flashbacks and flash forwards.
(b) It takes place in the future.
(c) It takes place in the past.
(d) It involves only characters not in part one.
7. How does her father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas?
(a) He stops talking to her.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He says that he is relieved.
(d) He hands the phone to her mother.
8. What were Catherine and Liz planning when Catherine met Dave?
(a) A concert under the stars.
(b) A vacation to the beach.
(c) A geography field trip.
(d) A cloud watching excursion.
9. How does the audience feel about Catherine's music?
(a) They give polite applause.
(b) They dislike it.
(c) They are stunned in silence.
(d) They like it.
10. What did Catherine do when she was a child and her parents fought?
(a) Hide in her room.
(b) Go to Granny Boyd's.
(c) Play her music louder.
(d) Try to make the fighting stop.
11. How does Catherine find Anna to be?
12. Who visits Catherine and brings her flowers?
13. What does Catherine remember will happen if the baby stops feeding?
(a) Milk will dry up.
(b) Baby will be unhealthy.
(c) Baby will be more likely to die.
(d) Mother will not bond with the baby.
14. Why does Catherine hate winter?
(a) The lack of sunshine depresses her.
(b) Dave seems to always be drunk.
(c) She cannot get outside as much.
(d) It reminds her of her mother and father.
15. What does Dave tell Catherine when he meets her for the first time?
(a) He asks her to take a walk with him.
(b) He says she looks lost.
(c) He says she looks like a student.
(d) He says she looks like she doesn't want to be there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine want music to celebrate?
2. Who are many of Catherine's memories tied to?
3. What do Catherine and Dave fight about constantly?
4. Who did Catherine write this song for?
5. What is the name of the hospital?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)