|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine think about as labor pains hit her in the ambulance?
(a) Her mother.
(d) The pub.
2. What complaint does Catherine have when she goes to the doctor?
(a) Dave is beating her up.
(b) She isn't being a good enough mother.
(c) She isn't getting enough sleep.
(d) Anna is into too many different things.
3. What does Catherine want to learn how to do?
(a) Write music.
(c) Keep books.
4. How does her father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He says that he is relieved.
(c) He hands the phone to her mother.
(d) He stops talking to her.
5. Why does Catherine teach?
(a) Because she loves helping the students.
(b) Because it is the only money she earns.
(c) Because she needs to have someone try out her music.
(d) Because Dave cannot work in the winter.
6. Which of the following is not one of the reasons Catherine packs up all of her things?
(a) They hold too many memories that she doesn't want to lose.
(b) She can't bear to abandon anything.
(c) She doesn't want Dave to benefit from anything she leaves behind.
(d) She was being kicked out by Dave.
7. Why doesn't Catherine take the rides offered at the airport from two different people?
(a) She is waiting for Dave.
(b) She wants to do things herself.
(c) She is waiting for Liz.
(d) She is lost and confused.
8. What does Catherine remember will happen if the baby stops feeding?
(a) Baby will be unhealthy.
(b) Milk will dry up.
(c) Mother will not bond with the baby.
(d) Baby will be more likely to die.
9. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
(a) It involves flashbacks and flash forwards.
(b) It involves only characters not in part one.
(c) It takes place in the past.
(d) It takes place in the future.
10. What does Catherine tell her father is the reason she won't be home for Christmas?
(a) She doesn't want to talk to them anymore.
(b) She won a scholarship.
(c) She is tired of fighting.
(d) She has to work to pay for school.
11. Why does Catherine wonder if Dave will still find her attractive?
(a) She has given birth to a child.
(b) She has stretch marks.
(c) She is tired all of the time.
(d) She is heavier than she used to be.
12. What does Dave tell Catherine when he meets her for the first time?
(a) He says she looks like she doesn't want to be there.
(b) He says she looks lost.
(c) He says she looks like a student.
(d) He asks her to take a walk with him.
13. What term did Catherine ask her mother about that her mother ignored and pretended not to hear?
(a) Had sexual intercourse.
(b) Feast of Immaculate Conception.
(c) Conserved her virginity.
(d) Patron saint of music.
14. What do the breathing strategies the nurse wants Catherine to use during labor remind her of?
(a) Practicing her scales.
(b) A fine concert.
(c) Arguments she and her father had in the past.
(d) Vocal exercise with Xiao Gang.
15. How does the nurse help Catherine with the pain?
(a) She rubs her hand.
(b) She has her continue to walk.
(c) She rubs her back and tells her to relax.
(d) She gives her a shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine believe her father will react to the news he will soon be a grandfather?
2. What does Catherine think she should write a manual about?
3. What does Liz do to try and reassure Catherine about her performance?
4. What does the nurse assure Catherine?
5. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)