|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which piece of furniture is Catherine most proud of?
(b) Dining room set.
2. Why does Catherine think Janet is making small talk with Catherine?
(a) To keep her mind occupied.
(b) To learn about her history.
(c) To help her keep an open mind.
(d) To find out why no one is there with her.
3. What does Catherine find wrong with the house when she goes inside?
(a) It is dirty.
(b) It does not have a space for the crib.
(c) It smells like cigarettes.
(d) Dave never finished painting the nursery.
4. Why does Catherine hate winter?
(a) Dave seems to always be drunk.
(b) The lack of sunshine depresses her.
(c) It reminds her of her mother and father.
(d) She cannot get outside as much.
5. Who called Catherine to say congratulations?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
6. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
7. What will Catherine miss about being in the hospital with the nurses?
(a) Having help with Anna.
(b) Having someone to talk to.
(c) Being able to sleep sometimes.
(d) Being pampered by them.
8. What happens when Catherine gets to the airport?
(a) Dave is there waiting for her and Anna.
(b) People crowd around asking to hold Anna.
(c) No one talks to her.
(d) She faints and Anna gets hurt.
9. Who are many of Catherine's memories tied to?
(c) Music Teacher.
10. Why aren't Catherine and Liz able to study the geography of the island?
(a) Too drunk to do the work.
(b) The weather.
(c) Their agendas.
(d) Not enough money.
11. What does Catherine remember that a teacher once told her all lullabies were about?
(a) The problems with the world.
(b) The need for safety.
(c) The birth of children.
(d) The death of a child.
12. What do Catherine and Dave fight about constantly?
(a) Her parents.
(c) Her music.
(d) His drinking.
13. How does Catherine describe her the song?
14. What does Dave tell Catherine when he meets her for the first time?
(a) He says she looks lost.
(b) He says she looks like a student.
(c) He says she looks like she doesn't want to be there.
(d) He asks her to take a walk with him.
15. Why does Catherine look at the nurse for reassurance as the plane descends?
(a) She isn't sure what to do next.
(b) The sound of the engine changes.
(c) Her pain is much worse.
(d) She doesn't want to be left alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the breathing strategies the nurse wants Catherine to use during labor remind her of?
2. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
3. What does Catherine find to be a repetition she wants to escape?
4. Which of the following terms best describes how Catherine feels about the night her students play the mass she is working on?
5. How much money does Catherine say she will get for the composition she is working on called Vernicle?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)