|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word does Catherine use to describe how she is worried about her composition as rehearsals start?
2. Why does Catherine sound drunk?
(a) The nurse gave her pain medication for her contractions.
(b) She is having a stroke.
(c) She is in so much pain from her contractions.
(d) She used alcohol to try and reduce the amount of pain she was in.
3. What trick did Catherine's mother tell her about that might help her sleep?
(a) Lying down listening to slow music.
(b) Taking a hot bath.
(c) Drinking hot milk.
(d) Rocking slowly.
4. What does Catherine believe Christmas carols celebrate?
(a) The need for celebration.
(b) The God-part of Jesus.
(c) The human-part of Jesus.
(d) The idea that life is a miracle.
5. What does Catherine give to the nurses to say thank you?
6. How does Catherine describe her the song?
7. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
(a) The breathing and panting required in labor.
(b) A drum beat steady and true like a heart beat.
(c) Breathing rhythm in three-note sequence.
(d) A sequence of highs and lows like life.
8. Which of the following words best describes how Catherine feels about the baby and everything involving her on the island?
9. What does Dave do for a living?
(a) Writes music.
(b) Dives for scallops.
(c) Plays in the orchestra.
(d) Teaches school.
10. Why is Catherine leaving Dave?
(a) Because she wants to start a new part of her life.
(b) Because she doesn't love him.
(c) Because she found out Anna is not his.
(d) Because he keeps hitting her.
11. What does Catherine tell her father is the reason she won't be home for Christmas?
(a) She won a scholarship.
(b) She has to work to pay for school.
(c) She is tired of fighting.
(d) She doesn't want to talk to them anymore.
12. Why doesn't Catherine take the rides offered at the airport from two different people?
(a) She is lost and confused.
(b) She is waiting for Dave.
(c) She is waiting for Liz.
(d) She wants to do things herself.
13. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
(a) It takes place in the past.
(b) It involves flashbacks and flash forwards.
(c) It involves only characters not in part one.
(d) It takes place in the future.
14. How many countries was Catherine's concert broadcast to?
15. How does Catherine get to the plane?
(a) Liz drives her.
(c) The nurse takes her.
(d) Dave drives her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Catherine call the district nurse?
2. Why does Catherine look at the nun's face as she is checking the baby's vital signs?
3. Where is Dave when Catherine packs up all of her things?
4. Where did Catherine get most of her furniture?
5. What does Liz do to try and reassure Catherine about her performance?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)