|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine get to the hospital?
(a) Ambulance plane.
(b) In the doctor's car.
(c) David takes her.
2. Why does Catherine hate winter?
(a) Dave seems to always be drunk.
(b) She cannot get outside as much.
(c) It reminds her of her mother and father.
(d) The lack of sunshine depresses her.
3. Which of the following is not an accurate description of how Catherine feels about leaving the hospital?
4. Which of the following is not one of the descriptors Catherine uses for her daughter right after she is born?
5. How does Catherine believe her father will react to the news he will soon be a grandfather?
(a) Damn her to hell.
(b) Go into a black rage.
(c) Pray for her soul.
(d) Welcome her back into her home.
6. Why was Liz shocked that Catherine had a child?
(a) She didn't know she was married.
(b) She had never noticed she was pregnant.
(c) She thought she was moving back home.
(d) She knows it will impede her music career.
7. Why does Catherine wonder if Dave will still find her attractive?
(a) She is heavier than she used to be.
(b) She is tired all of the time.
(c) She has given birth to a child.
(d) She has stretch marks.
8. What does the nurse assure Catherine?
(a) David will make it before the baby comes.
(b) The hospital will take good care of her.
(c) She won't give birth on the plane.
(d) She will help her to get through the pain.
9. Catherine comes to realize that for her a car is a what?
10. How long does it take Catherine to learn to drive?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) One day.
11. What did Catherine do when she was a child and her parents fought?
(a) Hide in her room.
(b) Go to Granny Boyd's.
(c) Try to make the fighting stop.
(d) Play her music louder.
12. What does Catherine want to learn how to do?
(a) Write music.
(b) Keep books.
13. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
(a) Breathing rhythm in three-note sequence.
(b) A drum beat steady and true like a heart beat.
(c) The breathing and panting required in labor.
(d) A sequence of highs and lows like life.
14. What do the breathing strategies the nurse wants Catherine to use during labor remind her of?
(a) Arguments she and her father had in the past.
(b) Vocal exercise with Xiao Gang.
(c) A fine concert.
(d) Practicing her scales.
15. What does the nurse put in Catherine's bath water?
(a) Coarse salt.
(c) Lotion and oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word does Catherine use to describe how she is worried about her composition as rehearsals start?
2. What does Dave tell Catherine when he meets her for the first time?
3. What does Catherine find to be a repetition she wants to escape?
4. How much money does Catherine say she will get for the composition she is working on called Vernicle?
5. The day after she gives birth, Catherine is struck by what realization she makes about her daughter?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)