|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Catherine gets to the airport?
(a) No one talks to her.
(b) Dave is there waiting for her and Anna.
(c) People crowd around asking to hold Anna.
(d) She faints and Anna gets hurt.
2. Why does Catherine think Janet is making small talk with Catherine?
(a) To help her keep an open mind.
(b) To find out why no one is there with her.
(c) To keep her mind occupied.
(d) To learn about her history.
3. What does Dave do for a living?
(a) Plays in the orchestra.
(b) Writes music.
(c) Teaches school.
(d) Dives for scallops.
4. The day after she gives birth, Catherine is struck by what realization she makes about her daughter?
(a) How dependent she is.
(b) How calm she is.
(c) How fragile she is.
(d) How much she sleeps.
5. Why does Catherine look at the nurse for reassurance as the plane descends?
(a) She doesn't want to be left alone.
(b) She isn't sure what to do next.
(c) Her pain is much worse.
(d) The sound of the engine changes.
6. Why does Catherine sound drunk?
(a) She is in so much pain from her contractions.
(b) The nurse gave her pain medication for her contractions.
(c) She is having a stroke.
(d) She used alcohol to try and reduce the amount of pain she was in.
7. What were Catherine and Liz planning when Catherine met Dave?
(a) A concert under the stars.
(b) A vacation to the beach.
(c) A cloud watching excursion.
(d) A geography field trip.
8. What term did Catherine ask her mother about that her mother ignored and pretended not to hear?
(a) Conserved her virginity.
(b) Patron saint of music.
(c) Had sexual intercourse.
(d) Feast of Immaculate Conception.
9. What does Catherine do to ease her mind as she gets ready to hear her composition played?
(a) Reads the program.
(b) Talks to Liz nonstop.
(c) Taps her foot nervously.
(d) Hides in the bathroom.
10. Which of the following terms best describes how Catherine feels about the night her students play the mass she is working on?
11. Who are many of Catherine's memories tied to?
(d) Music Teacher.
12. How does her father react to the news that she won't be coming home for Christmas?
(a) He says that he is relieved.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He stops talking to her.
(d) He hands the phone to her mother.
13. What does Liz do to try and reassure Catherine about her performance?
(a) Squeezes her arm.
(b) Puts Catherine's head on her shoulder.
(c) Hugs her tight.
(d) Wipes the tears from her face.
14. Who called Catherine to say congratulations?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
15. What does putting pieces of music together remind Catherine of?
(a) Her granny's handmade quilts.
(b) Her mother's cooking methods.
(c) Her childhood piano teacher.
(d) The way her father poured drinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Catherine leaving Dave?
2. Who visits Catherine and brings her flowers?
3. Why doesn't Catherine take the rides offered at the airport from two different people?
4. Why does Catherine hate winter?
5. Why does Catherine wonder if she should pray?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)