|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine give to the nurses to say thank you?
2. Where is Dave when Catherine packs up all of her things?
(a) Clinic on the mainland.
(b) Diving in the water.
(c) Out shopping for food.
(d) At the pub.
3. Why do the nuns tell Catherine to walk around?
(a) To pass the time until David arrives.
(b) To keep her from crying.
(c) It eases the pain.
(d) Her labor pains have stopped.
4. Why does Catherine hate winter?
(a) She cannot get outside as much.
(b) The lack of sunshine depresses her.
(c) It reminds her of her mother and father.
(d) Dave seems to always be drunk.
5. What trick did Catherine's mother tell her about that might help her sleep?
(a) Taking a hot bath.
(b) Drinking hot milk.
(c) Rocking slowly.
(d) Lying down listening to slow music.
6. What will Catherine get to join if she finishes Vernicle?
(a) College faculty.
(b) Church of Scotland.
(c) European Broadcasting Union.
(d) Performing Rights Society.
7. Where does Ingrid say she had seen Dave earlier that day?
(a) At the pub.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At the airport.
(d) At the dock.
8. How many countries was Catherine's concert broadcast to?
9. How does Catherine believe her father will react to the news he will soon be a grandfather?
(a) Go into a black rage.
(b) Welcome her back into her home.
(c) Pray for her soul.
(d) Damn her to hell.
10. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
(a) Breathing rhythm in three-note sequence.
(b) A sequence of highs and lows like life.
(c) A drum beat steady and true like a heart beat.
(d) The breathing and panting required in labor.
11. What happens when Catherine gets to the airport?
(a) People crowd around asking to hold Anna.
(b) She faints and Anna gets hurt.
(c) Dave is there waiting for her and Anna.
(d) No one talks to her.
12. What were Catherine and Liz planning when Catherine met Dave?
(a) A concert under the stars.
(b) A geography field trip.
(c) A vacation to the beach.
(d) A cloud watching excursion.
13. What does Catherine do to ease her mind as she gets ready to hear her composition played?
(a) Hides in the bathroom.
(b) Taps her foot nervously.
(c) Reads the program.
(d) Talks to Liz nonstop.
14. What does Catherine find to be a repetition she wants to escape?
(a) Caring for the baby.
(b) Being beaten by Dave.
(c) Anna's first birthday party plans.
(d) Having to do what Dave wants.
15. What did Catherine do when she was a child and her parents fought?
(a) Hide in her room.
(b) Try to make the fighting stop.
(c) Play her music louder.
(d) Go to Granny Boyd's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
2. Why doesn't Dave come to the hospital?
3. What is the name of the hospital?
4. How does the doctor respond to Catherine's worries?
5. Why is Catherine crying during the playing of her music?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)