|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine think about as labor pains hit her in the ambulance?
(a) Her mother.
(d) The pub.
2. What happens when Catherine gets to the airport?
(a) No one talks to her.
(b) She faints and Anna gets hurt.
(c) People crowd around asking to hold Anna.
(d) Dave is there waiting for her and Anna.
3. Who did Catherine write this song for?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
4. What keeps Catherine off balance and is affecting her work?
(a) David's inconsistent work.
(b) Her teaching schedule.
(c) The tuning of the piano.
(d) Mood swings.
5. Which of the following is not one of the reasons Catherine packs up all of her things?
(a) She doesn't want Dave to benefit from anything she leaves behind.
(b) They hold too many memories that she doesn't want to lose.
(c) She can't bear to abandon anything.
(d) She was being kicked out by Dave.
6. How long does it take Catherine to learn to drive?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
7. How does Catherine describe her the song?
8. Why doesn't Dave want to teach Catherine to drive?
(a) He wants to avoid fights.
(b) He doesn't have a car.
(c) He doesn't know how to drive.
(d) He wants to control her.
9. Where did Catherine get most of her furniture?
(a) Thrift stores.
(d) Antique stores.
10. Catherine comes to realize that for her a car is a what?
11. Where did Catherine and Liz spend most of their time when they were on the island for the weekend planning?
(a) In their rooms.
(b) On the beaches.
(c) Looking over the geography.
(d) In the pubs.
12. The day after she gives birth, Catherine is struck by what realization she makes about her daughter?
(a) How much she sleeps.
(b) How dependent she is.
(c) How fragile she is.
(d) How calm she is.
13. What do the breathing strategies the nurse wants Catherine to use during labor remind her of?
(a) A fine concert.
(b) Arguments she and her father had in the past.
(c) Vocal exercise with Xiao Gang.
(d) Practicing her scales.
14. What does walking on the beach with Anna remind Catherine about in regards to her students?
(a) The sound of the water beating the shore.
(b) The time interval of the tides.
(c) How writing music makes her feel.
(d) What might happen if she gives up her music.
15. Which of the following statements is true about Part 2 of this novel?
(a) It takes place in the future.
(b) It involves only characters not in part one.
(c) It involves flashbacks and flash forwards.
(d) It takes place in the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first catch Catherine learned?
2. Why does Catherine sound drunk?
3. Why aren't Catherine and Liz able to study the geography of the island?
4. Where did Catherine move when she left Dave's?
5. What does Catherine want to learn how to do?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)