|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who called Catherine to say congratulations?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
2. Why does Catherine sound drunk?
(a) She is in so much pain from her contractions.
(b) She is having a stroke.
(c) She used alcohol to try and reduce the amount of pain she was in.
(d) The nurse gave her pain medication for her contractions.
3. How does the audience feel about Catherine's music?
(a) They like it.
(b) They give polite applause.
(c) They are stunned in silence.
(d) They dislike it.
4. Why does Catherine think Janet is making small talk with Catherine?
(a) To help her keep an open mind.
(b) To learn about her history.
(c) To keep her mind occupied.
(d) To find out why no one is there with her.
5. What will Catherine miss about being in the hospital with the nurses?
(a) Being able to sleep sometimes.
(b) Having help with Anna.
(c) Being pampered by them.
(d) Having someone to talk to.
6. How does Catherine describe her the song?
7. What does the nurse put in Catherine's bath water?
(c) Lotion and oil.
(d) Coarse salt.
8. What does Catherine think she should write a manual about?
(a) How to get buy on little money.
(b) How to write music for the piano.
(c) How to incorporate rounds into other melodies.
(d) How to play the piano when pregnant.
9. What do Catherine and Dave fight about constantly?
(a) Her parents.
(b) His drinking.
(d) Her music.
10. What did Catherine do when she was a child and her parents fought?
(a) Go to Granny Boyd's.
(b) Hide in her room.
(c) Try to make the fighting stop.
(d) Play her music louder.
11. The day after she gives birth, Catherine is struck by what realization she makes about her daughter?
(a) How dependent she is.
(b) How fragile she is.
(c) How calm she is.
(d) How much she sleeps.
12. How does the doctor respond to Catherine's worries?
(a) He says that she needs to find help.
(b) He tries to take Anna away from her.
(c) He calls the police and child services.
(d) He says that her feelings are normal.
13. How many countries was Catherine's concert broadcast to?
14. What does putting pieces of music together remind Catherine of?
(a) Her mother's cooking methods.
(b) Her granny's handmade quilts.
(c) Her childhood piano teacher.
(d) The way her father poured drinks.
15. Why does Catherine teach?
(a) Because it is the only money she earns.
(b) Because she loves helping the students.
(c) Because Dave cannot work in the winter.
(d) Because she needs to have someone try out her music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Liz shocked that Catherine had a child?
2. What type of rhythm comes to Catherine as she thinks about celebration music?
3. What does Liz say about Anna?
4. Why does Catherine look at the nurse for reassurance as the plane descends?
5. Why doesn't Dave come to the hospital?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)