|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
2. Why does Catherine ring the bell to get in her house?
(a) She doesn't want to wake Anna.
(b) She lost her key.
(c) She can't get to her key.
(d) She can't think straight.
3. What kind of business did Catherine's father own?
(d) Music studio.
4. What does Catherine look for as she rides through her hometown?
(a) People that she knows.
(b) Familiar landmarks.
(c) The home she grew up in.
(d) Drumming contests.
5. What does Catherine's mother make her to calm her down?
(a) Some fresh chips.
(c) A nice meal.
(d) Warm milk.
6. What does Catherine's father think the drumming is?
(b) A lot of noise.
(c) The same as bells.
(d) A revelation.
7. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
(a) It would be the longest piece she has written.
(b) So few are written by women.
(c) It involves numerous instruments.
(d) It is like speaking to God.
8. What does Catherine say to her mother when she sees her for the first time?
(a) She asks what happened.
(b) She can't speak and only cries.
(c) She apologizes.
(d) She is angry she wasn't notified sooner.
9. What does Catherine's mother say about her after learning she had a child?
(a) She is dishonest.
(b) She is dirty.
(c) She is unclean.
(d) She is a heathen.
10. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
11. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(b) His cussing.
(c) His drunken behavior.
(d) His public displays of affection.
12. How does Miss Bingham feel about Catherine?
(a) She is disappointed in her.
(b) She is proud of her.
(c) She is ashamed of her.
(d) She is surprised by her.
13. Who does her mother say will do Catherine's hair for the funeral?
14. Why does Catherine say that her music was in the newspaper?
(a) Because she is a woman in a man's world.
(b) Because she is an unmarried pregnant woman.
(c) Because she is a Roman Catholic using Protestant drums.
(d) Because she has been very fortunate.
15. When they get back to the pub after the funeral, what is Catherine overwhelmed with a desire to do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of depression does Catherine confess to her mother she has?
2. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
3. Where is Catherine's home now?
4. What does lying around in bed remind Catherine of?
5. What does Catherine wonder how to tell her mother?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)