|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Miss Bingham describe Catherine's work?
(a) Powerful and difficult.
(b) Inconsistent and spiraling.
(c) Moody and changing.
(d) Surprising and catchy.
2. What did Catherine's music give to Miss Bingham?
3. What is Catherine thinking about when she wakes up at four thirty in the morning?
(a) How she will do playing the organ.
(b) Anna and what is happening in Glasgow.
(c) Her mother and how she will move on.
(d) Her father and how much she misses him.
4. Which of the following was one of the changes Catherine noticed to her house?
(a) The piano has been removed.
(b) There are now CDs and a CD player.
(c) They have added on an extra room.
(d) There is new furniture in all of the rooms.
5. What does Catherine find out is wrong with Miss Bingham?
(a) She has a nervous tic.
(b) She has cancer.
(c) She has stopped smoking.
(d) She has emphysema.
6. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
(a) Her parents' bedroom.
(b) To the main floor of the pub.
(c) Her childhood bedroom.
(d) Down to the funeral home.
7. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
(a) His dog tries to mount her.
(b) He interrupts her.
(c) He falls asleep in the chair.
(d) His wife faints and has to be taken away.
8. Where is Catherine's home now?
(a) New York.
9. How does Catherine feel about her desire to die?
(a) She feels resigned to the idea.
(b) She feels selfish for that thought.
(c) She feels in complete despair.
(d) She feels incompetent.
10. Catherine's mother accuses Catherine of what in regard to her mother's religious beliefs?
(a) Demeaning them.
(b) Mocking them.
(c) Reinforcing them.
(d) Mistreating them.
11. How old was Catherine when she started taking piano lessons?
12. What does Catherine tell Liz?
(a) She thinks Anna doesn't love her.
(b) She didn't recognize her own child for a second.
(c) She is very sad at the loss of her father
(d) She wants to pack up Anna and run away.
13. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
(b) A heathen.
(c) A proper lady.
(d) A disappointment.
14. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
(a) They both live in a pub.
(b) They both lost their father.
(c) They both like to do hair.
(d) They both are single.
15. What job did Catherine quit to write music?
(a) Traveling musician.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Catherine's father die?
2. How does Catherine feel when she wakes up at four thirty the morning after her father's funeral?
3. How does Catherine's mother react to the news that Catherine had a child?
4. Why does Catherine tell her mother she is working on a mass?
5. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)