|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
(a) Her father's funeral.
(b) To visit her new nephew.
(c) For a vacation.
(d) To play a concert.
2. What was the first lie Catherine had ever told about?
(a) Skipping school.
(d) A boy.
3. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
4. What did Catherine have to do after she got caught lying?
(a) Clean the entire house.
(b) Work in the pub for a month.
(c) Write an apology letter.
(d) Go to confession.
5. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
(a) Her childhood bedroom.
(b) To the main floor of the pub.
(c) Down to the funeral home.
(d) Her parents' bedroom.
6. What do Catherine and her mother talk about as they drink brandy?
(a) Talk about Anna.
(b) Talk about her father.
(c) Talk about the changes to the house.
(d) Talk about Catherine's life away from home.
7. How did Catherine's father die?
(a) A massive heart attack in the pub.
(b) Cancer that slowly took his life.
(c) A stroke in his sleep.
(d) A pneumonia like illness in the hospital.
8. What is Catherine thinking about when she wakes up at four thirty in the morning?
(a) Anna and what is happening in Glasgow.
(b) Her mother and how she will move on.
(c) How she will do playing the organ.
(d) Her father and how much she misses him.
9. What does Catherine's mother make her to calm her down?
(a) Warm milk.
(c) A nice meal.
(d) Some fresh chips.
10. How does Miss Bingham react to hearing that Catherine had a child?
(a) She is not surprised.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is ashamed of her.
(d) She congratulates her.
11. How does Catherine's favorite composer respond when she asks him about music and influences?
(b) I don't understand.
12. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
(a) Hums the music and has someone else record it.
(b) Hears the thing and writes it down.
(c) Plays with various notes.
(d) Tweaks notes to see which is the best.
13. When they get back to the pub after the funeral, what is Catherine overwhelmed with a desire to do?
14. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
(a) A proper lady.
(b) A heathen.
(c) A disappointment.
15. Which of the following characters does Catherine realize died and received a military grave while she was in Scotland?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Miss Bingham ride her bicycle?
2. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
3. What kind of business did Catherine's father own?
4. What does Catherine decide will save her?
5. What are grace notes according to this novel?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)