|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the prize when Catherine won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award for her Piano Trio?
(a) Free tuition for a year.
(b) Travel around Scotland.
(c) A new piano.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
2. How does Catherine's mother tell her that her relative was treated for depression?
(b) Electric shock therapy.
3. Catherine's mother accuses Catherine of what in regard to her mother's religious beliefs?
(a) Mistreating them.
(b) Mocking them.
(c) Demeaning them.
(d) Reinforcing them.
4. How does Miss Bingham react to hearing that Catherine had a child?
(a) She congratulates her.
(b) She is not surprised.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is ashamed of her.
5. Why does Catherine throw away the note she found?
(a) Because she can't read the writing on it.
(b) Because it is reminding her father to meet someone on an unidentified Tuesday.
(c) Because she doesn't want her mother to see it.
(d) Because it brings back too many bad memories.
6. Where is Catherine's home now?
(b) New York.
7. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
(a) It is like speaking to God.
(b) So few are written by women.
(c) It would be the longest piece she has written.
(d) It involves numerous instruments.
8. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
(a) He interrupts her.
(b) His dog tries to mount her.
(c) His wife faints and has to be taken away.
(d) He falls asleep in the chair.
9. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
(a) A statue of her father.
(b) A Chinese restaurant and police barracks.
(c) A theater that the Orangemen play in.
(d) New housing developments.
10. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His cussing.
(b) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(c) His drunken behavior.
(d) His public displays of affection.
11. How does Catherine decide to head home from the airport?
(c) Anna's father picks her up.
12. How does Anna get from the plane to her hometown?
(c) Mother picks her up.
13. What does Catherine's favorite composer ask her to do?
(a) Play for him.
(b) Read to him.
(c) Write him a piece of music.
(d) Stay at his home.
14. What was Catherine's father disappointed to miss that he received many phone calls about?
(a) Her first recital.
(b) Her college graduation.
(c) Her award winning performance.
(d) Her performance on the radio.
15. Where does Miss Bingham get her only comfort?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz tell Catherine?
2. What kind of business did Catherine's father own?
3. How does Catherine's favorite composer respond when she asks him about music and influences?
4. Why were some of the buildings in Catherine's town boarded up?
5. What term does Catherine's father use to describe some of the actions taken by the Protestants?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)