|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
(a) They both live in a pub.
(b) They both like to do hair.
(c) They both lost their father.
(d) They both are single.
2. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(b) His public displays of affection.
(c) His drunken behavior.
(d) His cussing.
3. What does Catherine think the drumming is?
(a) The same as bells.
(b) A lot of noise.
(d) A revelation.
4. How does Catherine decide to head home from the airport?
(c) Anna's father picks her up.
5. Why does Catherine tell her mother she is working on a mass?
(a) Because of her depression.
(b) Because of her father's death.
(c) Because of the religious significance.
(d) Because of the structure and form of it.
6. Catherine's mother accuses Catherine of what in regard to her mother's religious beliefs?
(a) Mocking them.
(b) Mistreating them.
(c) Reinforcing them.
(d) Demeaning them.
7. What did Miss Bingham like for Catherine to watch during concerts?
(a) The pianist.
(b) The conductor.
(c) The violinist.
(d) The audience.
8. What job did Catherine quit to write music?
(b) Traveling musician.
9. How does Catherine feel when she looks down at Anna?
10. What does Catherine take with her when she goes to take a nap?
(a) Her father's shirt.
(b) A hot water bottle.
(c) A picture of Anna.
(d) A sheet of music.
11. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
12. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
(a) Hears the thing and writes it down.
(b) Plays with various notes.
(c) Tweaks notes to see which is the best.
(d) Hums the music and has someone else record it.
13. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
(a) A Chinese restaurant and police barracks.
(b) A statue of her father.
(c) New housing developments.
(d) A theater that the Orangemen play in.
14. Which of the following is the main character of this novel?
15. Where does Catherine stop on the way to Miss Bingham's house?
(a) To try once again to talk to her mother.
(b) A store to buy some chocolates.
(c) Her father's grave.
(d) The church to go to confession.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Catherine have a child?
2. What does Catherine decide will save her?
3. What kind of depression does Catherine confess to her mother she has?
4. What term does Catherine's father use to describe some of the actions taken by the Protestants?
5. Where did Catherine meet her favorite composer?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)