|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine's mother want to walk home?
(a) Through the graveyard.
(b) Through the countryside.
(c) Through downtown.
(d) Through the woods.
2. What does Catherine take with her when she goes to take a nap?
(a) Her father's shirt.
(b) A picture of Anna.
(c) A hot water bottle.
(d) A sheet of music.
3. What does Catherine do whenever she feels herself getting the flu?
(a) The need to be in bed.
(b) The need to write.
(c) The desire to listen to music.
(d) The desire to hear Buchner.
4. What does Catherine tell Liz?
(a) She wants to pack up Anna and run away.
(b) She didn't recognize her own child for a second.
(c) She thinks Anna doesn't love her.
(d) She is very sad at the loss of her father
5. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
(a) Tweaks notes to see which is the best.
(b) Hears the thing and writes it down.
(c) Plays with various notes.
(d) Hums the music and has someone else record it.
6. Why were some of the buildings in Catherine's town boarded up?
(a) There was a bombing.
(b) A flood had ravaged the town.
(c) There was high unemployment.
(d) The major business in the town had left and so had many people.
7. What kind of thoughts does Catherine try to control on the ride to see Anna?
8. How old was Catherine when she started taking piano lessons?
9. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
(b) A heathen.
(c) A proper lady.
(d) A disappointment.
10. What term does Catherine's father use to describe some of the actions taken by the Protestants?
(d) Excellent musicians.
11. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
(a) He falls asleep in the chair.
(b) His wife faints and has to be taken away.
(c) His dog tries to mount her.
(d) He interrupts her.
12. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
(a) They both like to do hair.
(b) They both live in a pub.
(c) They both are single.
(d) They both lost their father.
13. What does Catherine decide to wear to her father's funeral?
(a) A shirt of her fathers.
(b) The dress she wore to her aunt's.
(c) Her favorite pair of jeans.
(d) Her black graduation skirt.
14. What happens when Catherine and Anna look at each other in the mirror?
(a) They both laugh.
(b) They both make faces.
(c) They both cry.
(d) They both smile.
15. Who is Catherine's favorite composer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the main character of this novel?
2. How did Catherine's father die?
3. What does Liz tell Catherine?
4. Where did Miss Bingham often take Catherine?
5. What does lying around in bed remind Catherine of?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)