|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
(a) Puts out the food and drinks for the many visitors.
(b) Goes upstairs to take a nap.
(c) Sits in the corner drinking tea.
(d) Hovers over her mother making sure she is okay.
2. What kind of thoughts does Catherine try to control on the ride to see Anna?
3. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
(a) They both are single.
(b) They both lost their father.
(c) They both like to do hair.
(d) They both live in a pub.
4. Who is Catherine's favorite composer?
5. Why does Catherine ring the bell to get in her house?
(a) She can't get to her key.
(b) She doesn't want to wake Anna.
(c) She lost her key.
(d) She can't think straight.
6. Why does Catherine tell her mother she is working on a mass?
(a) Because of the religious significance.
(b) Because of her depression.
(c) Because of her father's death.
(d) Because of the structure and form of it.
7. What does Catherine look for as she rides through her hometown?
(a) Familiar landmarks.
(b) Drumming contests.
(c) The home she grew up in.
(d) People that she knows.
8. What did Catherine have to do after she got caught lying?
(a) Write an apology letter.
(b) Go to confession.
(c) Work in the pub for a month.
(d) Clean the entire house.
9. What did Miss Bingham like for Catherine to watch during concerts?
(a) The conductor.
(b) The pianist.
(c) The violinist.
(d) The audience.
10. How does Miss Bingham feel about Catherine?
(a) She is disappointed in her.
(b) She is surprised by her.
(c) She is ashamed of her.
(d) She is proud of her.
11. Why were some of the buildings in Catherine's town boarded up?
(a) The major business in the town had left and so had many people.
(b) There was high unemployment.
(c) A flood had ravaged the town.
(d) There was a bombing.
12. What does Catherine's mother notice and ask her about when she wakes her up?
(a) Book about depression.
(b) Picture of the little girl.
(c) Pill bottles on the counter.
(d) Note from her father.
13. How did Miss Bingham describe Catherine's work?
(a) Moody and changing.
(b) Inconsistent and spiraling.
(c) Powerful and difficult.
(d) Surprising and catchy.
14. How does Anna get from the plane to her hometown?
(d) Mother picks her up.
15. What name does Catherine's mother cry and repeat over and over?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine stop on the way to Miss Bingham's house?
2. What term does Catherine's father use to describe some of the actions taken by the Protestants?
3. What does Catherine's favorite composer ask her to do?
4. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
5. What does Catherine tell Liz?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)