|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine decide will save her?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her work.
(d) Her positive thoughts.
2. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
(a) They both lost their father.
(b) They both like to do hair.
(c) They both live in a pub.
(d) They both are single.
3. How much was the prize when Catherine won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award for her Piano Trio?
(a) A new piano.
(b) Travel around Scotland.
(c) Free tuition for a year.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
4. How does Catherine decide to head home from the airport?
(a) Anna's father picks her up.
5. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
(a) Tweaks notes to see which is the best.
(b) Plays with various notes.
(c) Hears the thing and writes it down.
(d) Hums the music and has someone else record it.
6. What does lying around in bed remind Catherine of?
(a) The music she is forgetting to write.
(b) Being a child home sick.
(c) How depressed she was at one point.
(d) How much she misses her father.
7. Why does Catherine choose to conform when she is home?
(a) It provides comfort.
(b) It is easier.
(c) It is respectful.
(d) It makes her feel better.
8. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
9. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
(b) A disappointment.
(c) A proper lady.
(d) A heathen.
10. How did Catherine's father die?
(a) A massive heart attack in the pub.
(b) A stroke in his sleep.
(c) Cancer that slowly took his life.
(d) A pneumonia like illness in the hospital.
11. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
(a) It involves numerous instruments.
(b) It would be the longest piece she has written.
(c) So few are written by women.
(d) It is like speaking to God.
12. What does Catherine's mother say about her after learning she had a child?
(a) She is a heathen.
(b) She is unclean.
(c) She is dishonest.
(d) She is dirty.
13. How does Catherine feel about her desire to die?
(a) She feels selfish for that thought.
(b) She feels resigned to the idea.
(c) She feels in complete despair.
(d) She feels incompetent.
14. How long ago did Catherine have a child?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) Two months.
(d) Three months.
15. What does Catherine find out is wrong with Miss Bingham?
(a) She has stopped smoking.
(b) She has cancer.
(c) She has emphysema.
(d) She has a nervous tic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine ask before she agrees to play the organ at the formal services for her father the next day?
2. What did the Chinese restaurant have to do to be able to stay in business?
3. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
4. What was the first lie Catherine had ever told about?
5. What did Catherine's music give to Miss Bingham?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)