|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Catherine and Anna look at each other in the mirror?
(a) They both cry.
(b) They both laugh.
(c) They both smile.
(d) They both make faces.
2. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
3. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
(a) A Chinese restaurant and police barracks.
(b) A statue of her father.
(c) A theater that the Orangemen play in.
(d) New housing developments.
4. What does lying around in bed remind Catherine of?
(a) How much she misses her father.
(b) How depressed she was at one point.
(c) Being a child home sick.
(d) The music she is forgetting to write.
5. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
(a) To visit her new nephew.
(b) Her father's funeral.
(c) To play a concert.
(d) For a vacation.
6. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(b) His cussing.
(c) His drunken behavior.
(d) His public displays of affection.
7. How does Catherine's mother tell her that her relative was treated for depression?
(a) Electric shock therapy.
8. How does Miss Bingham feel about Catherine?
(a) She is surprised by her.
(b) She is proud of her.
(c) She is disappointed in her.
(d) She is ashamed of her.
9. Why can't Miss Bingham play the piano anymore?
(a) Her piano was repossessed.
(b) Her coughing constantly interrupts her.
(c) She cannot see the music anymore.
(d) Her arthritis is so bad.
10. What does Catherine think her father would have hated in the piece she played on the radio?
(a) The accompaniment.
(b) The drums.
(c) The speed.
(d) The length.
11. What did Catherine's music give to Miss Bingham?
12. What does Catherine tell Liz?
(a) She is very sad at the loss of her father
(b) She thinks Anna doesn't love her.
(c) She didn't recognize her own child for a second.
(d) She wants to pack up Anna and run away.
13. What disease does Catherine suffer from?
(a) Acid reflux.
14. Where is Catherine's home now?
(c) New York.
15. Why were some of the buildings in Catherine's town boarded up?
(a) A flood had ravaged the town.
(b) There was a bombing.
(c) There was high unemployment.
(d) The major business in the town had left and so had many people.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they get back to the pub after the funeral, what is Catherine overwhelmed with a desire to do?
2. Where did Miss Bingham often take Catherine?
3. What term does Catherine's father use to describe some of the actions taken by the Protestants?
4. What does Catherine's mother notice and ask her about when she wakes her up?
5. Who does her mother say will do Catherine's hair for the funeral?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)