|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
(a) Goes upstairs to take a nap.
(b) Hovers over her mother making sure she is okay.
(c) Puts out the food and drinks for the many visitors.
(d) Sits in the corner drinking tea.
2. How much was the prize when Catherine won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award for her Piano Trio?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) Travel around Scotland.
(c) A new piano.
(d) Free tuition for a year.
3. How does Catherine's mother want to walk home?
(a) Through the woods.
(b) Through the countryside.
(c) Through the graveyard.
(d) Through downtown.
4. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
(a) To visit her new nephew.
(b) Her father's funeral.
(c) To play a concert.
(d) For a vacation.
5. What kind of business did Catherine's father own?
(b) Music studio.
6. Why does Catherine say that her music was in the newspaper?
(a) Because she has been very fortunate.
(b) Because she is a Roman Catholic using Protestant drums.
(c) Because she is a woman in a man's world.
(d) Because she is an unmarried pregnant woman.
7. What is Catherine thinking about when she wakes up at four thirty in the morning?
(a) How she will do playing the organ.
(b) Anna and what is happening in Glasgow.
(c) Her father and how much she misses him.
(d) Her mother and how she will move on.
8. How old is Anna?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 20 months.
9. What does Catherine wonder how to tell her mother?
(a) About her memories of her father.
(b) About her depression.
(c) About Anna.
(d) About her new job.
10. What did the Chinese restaurant have to do to be able to stay in business?
(a) Sell souvenirs to tourists.
(b) Take in laundry.
(c) Rent out an apartment.
(d) Sell chips.
11. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
12. What name does Catherine's mother cry and repeat over and over?
13. What did Catherine have to do after she got caught lying?
(a) Write an apology letter.
(b) Work in the pub for a month.
(c) Clean the entire house.
(d) Go to confession.
14. How does Miss Bingham feel about Catherine?
(a) She is ashamed of her.
(b) She is surprised by her.
(c) She is disappointed in her.
(d) She is proud of her.
15. What is Catherine surprised to see when she gets to town?
(a) A statue of her father.
(b) A theater that the Orangemen play in.
(c) New housing developments.
(d) A Chinese restaurant and police barracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine stop on the way to Miss Bingham's house?
2. Which of the following characters does Catherine realize died and received a military grave while she was in Scotland?
3. Which of the following is the main character of this novel?
4. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
5. What does lying around in bed remind Catherine of?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)