|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine's mother want to walk home?
(a) Through the countryside.
(b) Through downtown.
(c) Through the woods.
(d) Through the graveyard.
2. Why did Miss Bingham ride her bicycle?
(a) Because she didn't have a car.
(b) She had lost her license.
(c) To get enough exercise.
(d) To keep her joints loose.
3. What does Catherine decide to wear to her father's funeral?
(a) Her favorite pair of jeans.
(b) The dress she wore to her aunt's.
(c) Her black graduation skirt.
(d) A shirt of her fathers.
4. How much was the prize when Catherine won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award for her Piano Trio?
(a) A new piano.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) Free tuition for a year.
(d) Travel around Scotland.
5. Why is the main character going to Ireland?
(a) To visit her new nephew.
(b) Her father's funeral.
(c) For a vacation.
(d) To play a concert.
6. How does Miss Bingham feel about Catherine?
(a) She is surprised by her.
(b) She is disappointed in her.
(c) She is ashamed of her.
(d) She is proud of her.
7. Where does Miss Bingham get her only comfort?
8. What does Catherine's mother notice and ask her about when she wakes her up?
(a) Note from her father.
(b) Picture of the little girl.
(c) Pill bottles on the counter.
(d) Book about depression.
9. Which of the following was one of the changes Catherine noticed to her house?
(a) They have added on an extra room.
(b) The piano has been removed.
(c) There are now CDs and a CD player.
(d) There is new furniture in all of the rooms.
10. What does Catherine take with her when she goes to take a nap?
(a) A hot water bottle.
(b) A picture of Anna.
(c) A sheet of music.
(d) Her father's shirt.
11. How does Catherine feel about her desire to die?
(a) She feels incompetent.
(b) She feels in complete despair.
(c) She feels resigned to the idea.
(d) She feels selfish for that thought.
12. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
(a) It involves numerous instruments.
(b) It is like speaking to God.
(c) It would be the longest piece she has written.
(d) So few are written by women.
13. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His public displays of affection.
(b) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(c) His cussing.
(d) His drunken behavior.
14. What term does Catherine's father use to describe some of the actions taken by the Protestants?
(a) Excellent musicians.
15. Why does Catherine say that her music was in the newspaper?
(a) Because she is a woman in a man's world.
(b) Because she is an unmarried pregnant woman.
(c) Because she is a Roman Catholic using Protestant drums.
(d) Because she has been very fortunate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Catherine meet her favorite composer?
2. What does Catherine say to her mother when she sees her for the first time?
3. How does Catherine feel when she wakes up at four thirty the morning after her father's funeral?
4. What was Catherine's job for Christmas dinner?
5. How does Catherine's mother tell her that her relative was treated for depression?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)