|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine ask before she agrees to play the organ at the formal services for her father the next day?
(a) If there will be a lot of people there.
(b) If he has the music already picked out.
(c) If it is the same organ from her childhood.
(d) If there is someone else to do it.
2. Which of the following is not one of the things that Huang told Catherine that all compositions must have?
3. Who does her mother say will do Catherine's hair for the funeral?
4. How much was the prize when Catherine won the Moncrieff-Hewitt Award for her Piano Trio?
(a) Free tuition for a year.
(b) A new piano.
(c) 1,000 pounds.
(d) Travel around Scotland.
5. Why can't Miss Bingham play the piano anymore?
(a) Her piano was repossessed.
(b) Her coughing constantly interrupts her.
(c) She cannot see the music anymore.
(d) Her arthritis is so bad.
6. How does Miss Bingham react to hearing that Catherine had a child?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is ashamed of her.
(c) She is not surprised.
(d) She congratulates her.
7. What does Catherine find out is wrong with Miss Bingham?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She has a nervous tic.
(c) She has emphysema.
(d) She has stopped smoking.
8. Why does the idea of writing a mass intrigue Catherine?
(a) It would be the longest piece she has written.
(b) It is like speaking to God.
(c) So few are written by women.
(d) It involves numerous instruments.
9. What do Catherine and Geraldine have in common?
(a) They both are single.
(b) They both lost their father.
(c) They both live in a pub.
(d) They both like to do hair.
10. What does Catherine tell Miss Bingham she is working on?
(a) A drum piece.
(b) A Catholic mass.
(c) A Latin mass.
(d) A voice piece.
11. Why does Catherine say that her music was in the newspaper?
(a) Because she has been very fortunate.
(b) Because she is a Roman Catholic using Protestant drums.
(c) Because she is a woman in a man's world.
(d) Because she is an unmarried pregnant woman.
12. What does Catherine believe a composer does?
(a) Tweaks notes to see which is the best.
(b) Hears the thing and writes it down.
(c) Hums the music and has someone else record it.
(d) Plays with various notes.
13. Who else in Catherine's family was depressed according to her mother?
14. Why does Catherine tell her mother she is working on a mass?
(a) Because of the religious significance.
(b) Because of the structure and form of it.
(c) Because of her depression.
(d) Because of her father's death.
15. What does Catherine's father think the drumming is?
(a) A revelation.
(b) A lot of noise.
(c) The same as bells.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine decide to head home from the airport?
2. When they get back to the pub after the funeral, what is Catherine overwhelmed with a desire to do?
3. What does Catherine do whenever she feels herself getting the flu?
4. What was Catherine's father disappointed to miss that he received many phone calls about?
5. What does Catherine decide to wear to her father's funeral?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)