|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Miss Bingham describe Catherine's work?
(a) Surprising and catchy.
(b) Powerful and difficult.
(c) Inconsistent and spiraling.
(d) Moody and changing.
2. What does Catherine do after the funeral when they get back to the house?
(a) Goes upstairs to take a nap.
(b) Sits in the corner drinking tea.
(c) Hovers over her mother making sure she is okay.
(d) Puts out the food and drinks for the many visitors.
3. Where does Miss Bingham get her only comfort?
4. What did the Chinese restaurant have to do to be able to stay in business?
(a) Sell chips.
(b) Take in laundry.
(c) Sell souvenirs to tourists.
(d) Rent out an apartment.
5. When Catherine and her mother go to meet her father at the train station when she was 11, what embarrassed her mother?
(a) His constant loud complaining of other people.
(b) His drunken behavior.
(c) His cussing.
(d) His public displays of affection.
6. How does Catherine's favorite composer respond when she asks him about music and influences?
(b) I don't understand.
7. What happens when Catherine tries to play a piece that she hasn't finished writing for her favorite composer?
(a) He interrupts her.
(b) His dog tries to mount her.
(c) His wife faints and has to be taken away.
(d) He falls asleep in the chair.
8. What does Catherine tell Miss Bingham she is working on?
(a) A drum piece.
(b) A Catholic mass.
(c) A Latin mass.
(d) A voice piece.
9. Where does Catherine go to view the body of her father?
(a) Her childhood bedroom.
(b) To the main floor of the pub.
(c) Down to the funeral home.
(d) Her parents' bedroom.
10. What does Catherine take with her when she goes to take a nap?
(a) A sheet of music.
(b) A picture of Anna.
(c) Her father's shirt.
(d) A hot water bottle.
11. How does Catherine feel when she looks down at Anna?
12. What does Catherine think about when she watches and hears the dirt being thrown on her father's coffin?
(a) How her mother and father loved each other.
(b) The first time she played the piano for her father.
(c) A Christmas Eve when she was 11.
(d) When she first moved out of her parents home.
13. What does Catherine's father think the drumming is?
(a) The same as bells.
(b) A revelation.
(c) A lot of noise.
14. What did Catherine's music give to Miss Bingham?
15. Who does her mother say will do Catherine's hair for the funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine's mother say that she has become?
2. Which of the following was one of the changes Catherine noticed to her house?
3. What was Catherine's father disappointed to miss that he received many phone calls about?
4. Who is Catherine's favorite composer?
5. What kind of business did Catherine's father own?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)