|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop did the Old Man and Woman own?
2. What does Yang Sun take from the shop before he leaves?
3. What does Yang Sun say he is not willing to help Shen Te with?
4. Who narrates a series of quick scenes in scene 8?
5. Who asks Mrs. Yang to pay the bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Brecht's overall argument.
1. What does Brecht argue in the play?
2. How does he introduce his ideas?
3. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
4. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Brecht's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the play? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)