|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tidies up the shop as Shui Ta reads?
2. Who asks Mrs. Yang to pay the bill?
3. What does Yang Sun say he is not willing to help Shen Te with?
4. What does Mrs. Shin accuse Shen Te of?
5. What does Shu Fu praise Shen Te for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if he set it in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)