|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shen Te's occupation?
2. Who does Shen Te say she is meeting at the tea house?
3. What does the Wife suggest She Te invent to help her run the shop?
4. What does Shui Ta tell the Family to do?
5. What news does Mrs. Yang have about Yang Sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
2. How does Wong help the Gods?
3. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
4. Summarize scene four.
5. How doees Shu Fu help Shen Te?
6. Summaize scene five.
7. What does Wong report back to the Gods?
8. How does the husband react to Shui Ta's attitude?
9. What do the Gods say to Wong?
10. What is Yang's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Why is Wong's role as an outsider important to the play? How would the story change if the Gods asked help from a character more established in the community? Why do the Gods never see Wong as a good person? What does that say about how people view outsiders?
Essay Topic 2Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings: 1. Germany. 2. USA. 3. Japan. What new meaning would the new setting give the play? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3Examine the novel's chronological setting. 1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns? 2. How would the author change the play if he set it in today's society?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)