Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sheltered Shen Te when she first arrived in the city?
2. Who does Shui Ta tell to get out of the shop when the Carpenter leaves?
3. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu say she knows about?
4. What do the two prostitutes accuse Shen Te of?
5. Who arrives at the shop after Mrs. Mi Tzu leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
2. What does Shen Te sing a song about at the end of scene 4?
3. Summarize scene 9.
4. How does Yang Sun think Shui Ta can expand his business?
5. What do Yang Sun and Shen Te argue about?
6. Summarize scene 8.
7. What does Shui Ta say in his defense?
8. How do the family take over the shop?
9. What problem do the Gods face?
10. What has Mrs. Shin worked out about Shen Te?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)