|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shop is Wong chased out of?
2. What do the women outside Shen Te's shop gossip about?
3. What is the name of the young man at the beginning of scene 3?
4. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu say she knows about?
5. What does Shui Ta tell the Family to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Gods refuse to help Shen Te?
2. Why does the Policeman take the Family into custody?
3. Why does Shui Ta say $300 for the shop is not enough?
4. Summaize scene five.
5. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
6. Summarize scene 9.
7. What advice do the Gods give Shen Te?
8. What do Yang Sun and Shen Te argue about?
9. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
10. What does Shui Ta say in his defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Brecht's overall argument.
1. What does Brecht argue in the play?
2. How does he introduce his ideas?
3. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
4. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Brecht's argument?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against implementing religious ideal? What are Brecht's opinions on religion and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Brecht?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Wong's role as an outsider important to the play? How would the story change if the Gods asked help from a character more established in the community? Why do the Gods never see Wong as a good person? What does that say about how people view outsiders?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)