|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu want Shen Te to pay her six months in advance?
2. What does Yang Sun watch in the sky?
3. What does Wong tell the Gods the town is calling Shun Te?
4. What are the Husband and Wife making when Shui Ta arrives?
5. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu ask for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How doees Shu Fu help Shen Te?
2. How does the husband react to Shui Ta's attitude?
3. What does Shen Te sing a song about at the end of scene 4?
4. How does Shen Te help the carpenter?
5. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
6. What is Shen Te prepared to do to help Yang?
7. How does Yang Sun react to finding out he is the father of Shen Te's child?
8. What does Wong dream about?
9. What happens outside Shen Te's shop?
10. What do the Gods ask Wong to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 3
How did Bertolt Brecht view the twentieth century? What impact has his ideas had on modern society? Has that impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)