|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shen Te secure her loan from the Old Woman with?
2. What does the Wife suggest She Te invent to help her run the shop?
3. What drink does Shen Te give the Husband and Wife's family?
4. What does the husband send the Boy to steal?
5. What does the family sing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Wife suggest to Shen Te in the first scene?
2. Why does Yang Sun want to kill himself?
3. How does the husband react to Shui Ta's attitude?
4. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
5. Why does Wong want the Gods to help She Te?
6. How do Shen Te's problems increase in scene two?
7. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
8. Why do the Gods give Shen Te money?
9. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
10. How does Yang Sun react to finding out he is the father of Shen Te's child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. A plague sweeps through the town.
2. The Gods give each resident of the town 1,000 silver dollars.
3. A foreign army takes over the town.
Essay Topic 2
Bertolt Brecht was a Marxist.
1. How does Brecht express his Marxist views in the play?
2. How and why are Brecht's Marxist views different to today's views on Marxism?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)