|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yang Sun say he wants to kill himself?
2. Who accompanies Shui Ta to the shop?
3. Who are the townsfolk expecting to visit them?
4. What does Yang Sun need to get a job?
5. What day is the rent due?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the second scene.
2. Summarize the play.
3. How doees Shu Fu help Shen Te?
4. What do the Gods say to Wong?
5. What is Yang Sun doing in the city park?
6. What happens outside Shen Te's shop?
7. What is Shen Te prepared to do to help Yang?
8. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
9. What do the Gods ask Wong to do?
10. How do the family take over the shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Shen Te's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end.
1. What does Shen Te hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2. What events change Shen Te's ideas about life?
3. How has Shen Te's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against implementing religious ideal? What are Brecht's opinions on religion and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Brecht?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)