|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town the story is set in?
2. What does Shen Te say is the name of her male cousin?
3. What does Mrs. Shin make Shen Te feel guilty about?
4. What is the name of the young man at the beginning of scene 3?
5. What does Shu Fu strike Wong with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mrs. Shin worked out about Shen Te?
2. Summarize the first scene.
3. Summarize scene four.
4. How does the husband react to Shui Ta's attitude?
5. Summarize scene 9.
6. What does Shui Ta tell the Gods?
7. How do the characters try to take advantage of Shen Te?
8. How does Shen Te help Yang Sun in scene 4?
9. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
10. How do the characters show their new found love for life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. A plague sweeps through the town.
2. The Gods give each resident of the town 1,000 silver dollars.
3. A foreign army takes over the town.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)