|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings their family to meet Shen Te?
2. Why does Yang Sun say he wants to kill himself?
3. What do the Gods apologize to Wong for?
4. What does the family sing about?
5. What do the Gods say people are not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Policeman take the Family into custody?
2. Summarize the play.
3. What is Shen Te prepared to do to help Yang?
4. Why does Shui Ta say $300 for the shop is not enough?
5. What does Wong report back to the Gods?
6. Summarize scene six.
7. What happens outside Shen Te's shop?
8. What does Shui Ta say in his defense?
9. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
10. How do the characters show their new found love for life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Shen Te's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end.
1. What does Shen Te hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2. What events change Shen Te's ideas about life?
3. How has Shen Te's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if he set it in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)