|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Carpenter want payment for?
2. Who do the Gods ask Shen Te to thank for them?
3. What does Yang Sun need to get a job?
4. Why does Wong runaway when he sees the Gods have gone?
5. What do the Gods give Shen Te to help her be good?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize scene 8.
2. What do the Gods ask Wong to do?
3. What does the Wife suggest to Shen Te in the first scene?
4. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
5. What do the Gods say to Wong?
6. How do the family take over the shop?
7. How does Shen Te's situation change in scene 7?
8. What is Yang Sun doing in the city park?
9. Why does Shui Ta say $300 for the shop is not enough?
10. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if he set it in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)