|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yang Sun's occupation?
2. What country is the play set in?
3. Who do the others suggest Wong goes to?
4. What does the Old Woman remind Shen Te about?
5. Why does Wong runaway when he sees the Gods have gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Shen Te's problems increase in scene two?
2. How does Shen Te help Yang Sun in scene 4?
3. What does Wong report back to the Gods?
4. How do the characters show their new found love for life?
5. What happens outside Shen Te's shop?
6. How does Yang Sun change in scene 8?
7. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
8. What is Yang Sun doing in the city park?
9. How does Shui Ta deal with the Family?
10. How do the characters try to take advantage of Shen Te?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. A plague sweeps through the town.
2. The Gods give each resident of the town 1,000 silver dollars.
3. A foreign army takes over the town.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Wong's role as an outsider important to the play? How would the story change if the Gods asked help from a character more established in the community? Why do the Gods never see Wong as a good person? What does that say about how people view outsiders?
Essay Topic 3
Bertolt Brecht was a Marxist.
1. How does Brecht express his Marxist views in the play?
2. How and why are Brecht's Marxist views different to today's views on Marxism?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)