|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wong sell?
2. What do the Gods say people are not?
3. What does She Te sing a song about?
4. Where do the Gods appear to Wong?
5. What do the women outside Shen Te's shop gossip about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yang Sun react to finding out he is the father of Shen Te's child?
2. What does Shui Ta tell the Gods?
3. How does Shen Te help the carpenter?
4. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
5. Summarize the first scene.
6. Why do the Gods give Shen Te money?
7. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
8. Summarize scene four.
9. How does Shen Te say she will help Wong?
10. What does the Wife suggest to Shen Te in the first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Brecht's overall argument.
1. What does Brecht argue in the play?
2. How does he introduce his ideas?
3. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
4. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Brecht's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Wong's role as an outsider important to the play? How would the story change if the Gods asked help from a character more established in the community? Why do the Gods never see Wong as a good person? What does that say about how people view outsiders?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)