|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Yang and She Te wave at?
2. Where does She Te offer to take Wong?
3. Who does Shan Te say she is expecting?
4. What does the Carpenter want payment for?
5. What do the women outside Shen Te's shop gossip about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem do the Gods face?
2. What does Shen Te sing a song about at the end of scene 4?
3. What does the Wife suggest to Shen Te in the first scene?
4. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
5. How do the characters show their new found love for life?
6. Summarize the first scene.
7. What do the Gods ask Wong to do?
8. Why does the Policeman take the Family into custody?
9. What does Wong dream about?
10. How do the family take over the shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view.
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against implementing religious ideal? What are Brecht's opinions on religion and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Brecht?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)