|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the husband send the Boy to steal?
2. What does Wong sing he is desperate for people to buy?
3. What does the family sing about?
4. What do the Gods give Shen Te to help her be good?
5. What is the Old Woman and her husband celebrating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yang Sun think Shui Ta can expand his business?
2. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
3. Summarize the play.
4. How do the Old Woman and the Policeman help Shen Te?
5. Why does the Policeman take the Family into custody?
6. Summarize scene 9.
7. Why does Shen Te decide to change to Shui Ta again?
8. How do Shen Te's problems increase in scene two?
9. Why does Mrs. Yang delay the wedding?
10. What do Yang Sun and Shen Te argue about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Brecht's overall argument.
1. What does Brecht argue in the play?
2. How does he introduce his ideas?
3. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
4. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Brecht's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Asian and western culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)