|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shen Te tell the Old Woman are looking for generous people?
2. Where does the Policeman suggest Shen Te look for a husband?
3. What country is the play set in?
4. What is Mrs. Mi Tzu's occupation?
5. What does Shen Te secure her loan from the Old Woman with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem do the Gods face?
2. What is Yang Sun doing in the city park?
3. How do the family take over the shop?
4. Why does Yang Sun want to kill himself?
5. What does Wong report back to the Gods?
6. What is Yang's plan?
7. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
8. Summarize scene six.
9. Summarize the first scene.
10. How does Shen Te help the carpenter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Wong's role as an outsider important to the play? How would the story change if the Gods asked help from a character more established in the community? Why do the Gods never see Wong as a good person? What does that say about how people view outsiders?
Essay Topic 2
What are the arguments for and against implementing religious ideal? What are Brecht's opinions on religion and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Brecht?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)