|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the shop after Mrs. Mi Tzu leaves?
2. Who does Shen Te tell the Old Woman are looking for generous people?
3. What do the Gods give Shen Te to help her be good?
4. What do the Gods say people are not?
5. What does the Old Woman remind Shen Te about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize scene 7.
2. Summarize scene six.
3. How does Yang Sun react to finding out he is the father of Shen Te's child?
4. Summarize scene 9.
5. Why do the Gods refuse to help Shen Te?
6. How does Shen Te help out Wong?
7. How does Yang Sun think Shui Ta can expand his business?
8. How does Shui Ta deal with the Family?
9. How does Yang Sun try to encourage the guests to stay at the wedding?
10. Summarize scene four.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the play? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the play if he set it in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against implementing religious ideal? What are Brecht's opinions on religion and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Brecht?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)