Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sheltered Shen Te when she first arrived in the city?
2. Who does Shui Ta tell to get out of the shop when the Carpenter leaves?
3. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu say she knows about?
4. What do the two prostitutes accuse Shen Te of?
5. Who arrives at the shop after Mrs. Mi Tzu leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
2. What does Shen Te sing a song about at the end of scene 4?
3. Summarize scene 9.
4. How does Yang Sun think Shui Ta can expand his business?
5. What do Yang Sun and Shen Te argue about?
6. Summarize scene 8.
7. What does Shui Ta say in his defense?
8. How do the family take over the shop?
9. What problem do the Gods face?
10. What has Mrs. Shin worked out about Shen Te?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Shen Te's character to the person she is at the beginning of the play to the person she is at the end.
1. What does Shen Te hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2. What events change Shen Te's ideas about life?
3. How has Shen Te's character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the play? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)