|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Wife suggest She Te invent to help her run the shop?
2. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu want Shen Te to pay her six months in advance?
3. Who arrives at the shop after Mrs. Mi Tzu leaves?
4. What is the Old Woman and her husband celebrating?
5. What do the Gods give Shen Te to help her be good?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters try to take advantage of Shen Te?
2. What do Yang Sun and Shen Te argue about?
3. What does Mrs Yang tell the audience?
4. How do the Old Woman and the Policeman help Shen Te?
5. How doees Shu Fu help Shen Te?
6. What do the Gods say to Wong?
7. Why does the Policeman take the Family into custody?
8. What does Wong tell the audience?
9. How does Wong help the Gods?
10. How does Shen Te say she will help Wong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)