|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Shen Te give the Husband and Wife's family?
2. What news does Mrs. Yang have about Yang Sun?
3. What does Mrs. Mi Tzu ask for?
4. What does the Old Woman remind Shen Te about?
5. What does Wong do when he sees the Gods have gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Policeman take the Family into custody?
2. How do Shen Te's problems increase in scene two?
3. Why do the Gods refuse to help Shen Te?
4. What does Shen Te tell the audience?
5. How do the family take over the shop?
6. What does Shui Ta say in his defense?
7. How do the Old Couple help Shen Te?
8. How does Yang Sun change in scene 8?
9. How does Shen Te help out Wong?
10. Summarize scene 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Brecht's overall argument.
1. What does Brecht argue in the play?
2. How does he introduce his ideas?
3. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
4. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Brecht's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Asian and western culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
What is the play's premise? Why premises are so important to a story?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)