|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townsfolk expect the Gods to do?
2. What do the Gods give Shen Te to help her be good?
3. What does the family sing about?
4. Who brings their family to meet Shen Te?
5. Who does Shen Te tell the Old Woman are looking for generous people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Gods refuse to help Shen Te?
2. What advice do the Gods give Shen Te?
3. How do the characters try to take advantage of Shen Te?
4. How does Shen Te say she will help Wong?
5. Summarize scene six.
6. What is Yang Sun doing in the city park?
7. Summarize the second scene.
8. Summarize scene four.
9. What has Mrs. Shin worked out about Shen Te?
10. How does Yang Sun and Shen Te's relationship develop in scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Brecht ens the play with Shen Te screaming for help? Do the students think he could have ended the play in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Asian and western culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view.
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)