|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shui Ta tell to get out of the shop when the Carpenter leaves?
2. What does Mrs. Shin make Shen Te feel guilty about?
3. Why does Wong say no one is buying his water?
4. What does Yang Sun watch in the sky?
5. What shop is Wong chased out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters show their new found love for life?
2. What do the Gods ask Wong to do?
3. Why does Shui Ta say $300 for the shop is not enough?
4. Why do the Gods refuse to help Shen Te?
5. What do the Gods say to Wong?
6. What is Yang Sun doing in the city park?
7. How does Shen Te help the carpenter?
8. Summarize the first scene.
9. Why does Wong want the Gods to help She Te?
10. What has Mrs. Shin worked out about Shen Te?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Brecht express religion as foolish? How does this theme link to the 1930s and Brecht's Marxist beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
What is the play's premise? Why premises are so important to a story?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)