|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sassoon announce his intention to refuse further service?
2. Who visited Graves on the ship before he departed for Egypt?
3. How did Graves find the politics of school life?
4. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
5. What was the sentiment at Oxford in regard to the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
2. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
3. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
4. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
5. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
6. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
7. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
8. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
9. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
10. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes in equipment Graves experienced during his time in the military. Which changes were beneficial to Graves? Which seemed to make no difference?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Graves' views and experiences during WWI changed his personality. Do you believe the changes happened to the majority of those that served? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)