|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves feel about the war rationing of food?
2. How old was Graves in 1916?
3. What did Graves and Sassoon do once they rejoined the 3rd Battalion in England?
4. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
5. How many children did Graves have with his second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
2. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
3. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
4. How did Graves feel about the local customs and culture while in Egypt?
5. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
6. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
7. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
8. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
9. During this post-war time, what did Nicholson do that later Graves and Lawrence needed to help him with?
10. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)