|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
2. Why did Graves' commanding officer refuse to honor his request to resign his commission?
3. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
4. How did Graves feel about eighteenth century poetry?
5. How many children did Graves have with his second wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. During this post-war time, what did Nicholson do that later Graves and Lawrence needed to help him with?
2. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
3. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
4. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
5. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
6. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
7. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
8. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
9. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
10. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail what portions of the novel were most important for study? Why do you believe them to be most important? Are there portions which could be eliminated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the changes in equipment Graves experienced during his time in the military. Which changes were beneficial to Graves? Which seemed to make no difference?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)