|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Graves take up?
2. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
3. In what year do Graves and Nicholson return to Islip?
4. When was Graves' first son born?
5. In what month did Graves pass medical inspection to be able to return to battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
2. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
3. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
4. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
5. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
6. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
7. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
8. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
9. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
10. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 2
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)