|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
2. When was Graves' first son born?
3. Why did Graves' commanding officer refuse to honor his request to resign his commission?
4. When were Graves and Nicholson married?
5. Who does Graves routinely help out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
2. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
3. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
4. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
5. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
6. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
7. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
8. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
9. After Graves was injured, what steps were taken by the military and himself?
10. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is considered a chronicle. What does this term mean to you? Do you believe it is an accurate description of this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Graves' views and experiences during WWI changed his personality. Do you believe the changes happened to the majority of those that served? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe this novel could be used to represent the most common view of WWI? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)