|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Graves take up?
2. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
3. How did Graves feel about eighteenth century poetry?
4. Where was Graves sent to a hospital to receive treatment?
5. When was Graves' first son born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
2. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
3. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
4. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
5. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
6. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
7. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
8. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
9. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
10. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is considered a chronicle. What does this term mean to you? Do you believe it is an accurate description of this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe the purpose was of writing this autobiography? Do you believe Graves achieved this purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)