|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Graves stationed after his first child was born?
2. What was the last year Graves attended Oxford?
3. What was the name of Graves' first child?
4. Where did the ship stop on the way to Egypt?
5. How did Graves and Sassoon describe the English media's portrayal of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
2. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
3. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
4. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
5. Describe how Sassoon and Graves, both of whom were injured, spent their time recovering.
6. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
7. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
8. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
9. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
10. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Battle of Loos as seen through Graves' eyes. Was this battle well thought out? Was it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Graves revised this publication in 1957? Do you believe this was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the events and experiences which happened to Graves throughout this novel with some you believe someone today would experience. Would they all be similar? Why might there be differences?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)