|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what university did Graves secure a position?
2. What disease do Graves' children contract for which they receive only indifferent medical attention?
3. Who does Graves routinely help out?
4. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
5. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
2. Describe how Sassoon and Graves, both of whom were injured, spent their time recovering.
3. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
4. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
5. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
6. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
7. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
8. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
9. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
10. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail what portions of the novel were most important for study? Why do you believe them to be most important? Are there portions which could be eliminated? Why or why not?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)