|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were Graves and Nicholson married?
2. How many children did Graves have with his second wife?
3. When was Graves' first son born?
4. How did Graves re-enter active duty after he recuperated?
5. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
2. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
3. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
4. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
5. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
6. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
7. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
8. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
9. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
10. How did Graves feel about the local customs and culture while in Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could this novel be used as a text in a history class? Would it be beneficial? Is it biased? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail what portions of the novel were most important for study? Why do you believe them to be most important? Are there portions which could be eliminated? Why or why not?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)