|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
2. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
3. Which of the following literary figures was not one of friendships Graves made while at Oxford?
4. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
5. What did Graves believe he contracted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
2. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
3. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
4. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
5. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
6. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
7. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
8. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
9. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
10. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is Graves' purpose in writing this novel? Do you believe he achieved his purpose? How do you feel after reading the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Graves spent a great deal of time in the trenches. How did this particular type of battle help the English? Do you believe this is an effective strategy to use during battles? Is it still used today? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)