|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves consider the war?
2. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
3. In what city did Graves rejoin the war?
4. In what country did Graves live during World War II?
5. What happened to deserters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
2. During this post-war time, what did Nicholson do that later Graves and Lawrence needed to help him with?
3. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
4. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
5. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
6. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
7. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
8. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
9. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
10. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe the purpose was of writing this autobiography? Do you believe Graves achieved this purpose? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Could this novel be used as a text in a history class? Would it be beneficial? Is it biased? Why or why not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)