|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname was Siegfried Sassoon given?
2. Sassoon's political views could best be described as?
3. How did Graves consider the war?
4. How did Nancy Nicholson see all social problems?
5. How did Graves find the politics of school life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
2. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
3. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
4. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
5. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
6. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
7. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
8. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
9. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
10. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes in equipment Graves experienced during his time in the military. Which changes were beneficial to Graves? Which seemed to make no difference?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Battle of Loos as seen through Graves' eyes. Was this battle well thought out? Was it effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)