|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Graves in 1916?
2. Who helped Graves locate housing in Egypt?
3. What does the term execrable mean as it is used in the following sentence? Graves found the standard of academia execrable
4. How did Sassoon announce his intention to refuse further service?
5. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
2. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
3. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
4. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
5. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
6. After Graves was injured, what steps were taken by the military and himself?
7. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
8. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
9. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
10. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some describe this novel as a satire on wartime experiences. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Graves and his wife divorced? What impact did the war have on their relationship? Do you believe this pattern is typical or atypical with soldiers? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Graves' views and experiences during WWI changed his personality. Do you believe the changes happened to the majority of those that served? Why or why not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)