|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In late July during the barrage of artillery fire that Graves' company experienced, about how many of his men were killed instantly?
2. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
3. How did Graves describe a proposed assault that was called off?
4. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
5. How did Graves re-enter active duty after he recuperated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
2. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
3. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
4. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
5. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
6. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
7. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
8. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
9. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
10. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Battle of Loos as seen through Graves' eyes. Was this battle well thought out? Was it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)