|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Graves offer as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo?
2. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
3. In what year do Graves and Nicholson return to Islip?
4. To whom did Lawrence introduce Graves?
5. Where was Graves sent to a hospital to receive treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
2. After Graves was injured, what steps were taken by the military and himself?
3. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
4. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
5. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
6. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
7. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
8. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
9. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
10. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the events in this novel? Why do you feel that way? In what way has reading the personal accounts within this novel changed your personal views or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe this novel could be used to represent the most common view of WWI? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)