|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
2. Where was Graves sent to a hospital to receive treatment?
3. With which of the following literary figures did Graves develop a deep and sincere friendship?
4. How did Nancy Nicholson see all social problems?
5. What did Graves find displayed everywhere in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
2. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
3. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
4. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
5. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
6. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
7. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
8. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
9. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
10. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Graves and his wife divorced? What impact did the war have on their relationship? Do you believe this pattern is typical or atypical with soldiers? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Graves spent a great deal of time in the trenches. How did this particular type of battle help the English? Do you believe this is an effective strategy to use during battles? Is it still used today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe the purpose was of writing this autobiography? Do you believe Graves achieved this purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)