|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Graves pretend he was in the tiny cottage during his recovery?
2. Sassoon's political views could best be described as?
3. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
4. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
5. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
2. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
3. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
4. After Graves was injured, what steps were taken by the military and himself?
5. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
6. Describe how Sassoon and Graves, both of whom were injured, spent their time recovering.
7. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
8. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
9. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
10. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Graves' views and experiences during WWI changed his personality. Do you believe the changes happened to the majority of those that served? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe Graves and his wife divorced? What impact did the war have on their relationship? Do you believe this pattern is typical or atypical with soldiers? Why?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)