|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
2. What did Graves and Sassoon spend many hours together doing?
3. Sassoon's political views could best be described as?
4. In what city did Graves rejoin the war?
5. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. During this post-war time, what did Nicholson do that later Graves and Lawrence needed to help him with?
2. Describe how Graves passed the time before he underwent the operation on his nose while he was back home in England?
3. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
4. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
5. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
6. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
7. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
8. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
9. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
10. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Could this novel be used as a text in a history class? Would it be beneficial? Is it biased? Why or why not?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)