|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease did Robert suffer at the young age of approximately four-and-one-half?
2. In what sport did Graves win a first place prize?
3. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
4. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
5. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
2. In what way did Graves describe the constant flow of troops in his regiment and how did the constant change affect morale?
3. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
4. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
5. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
6. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
7. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
8. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
9. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
10. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Graves spent a great deal of time in the trenches. How did this particular type of battle help the English? Do you believe this is an effective strategy to use during battles? Is it still used today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Could this novel be used as a text in a history class? Would it be beneficial? Is it biased? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)