|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
2. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
3. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
4. What was issued in preparation for the Somme?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term desultory as used to describe German shelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
2. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
3. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
4. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
5. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
6. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
7. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
8. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
9. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
10. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the changes in equipment Graves experienced during his time in the military. Which changes were beneficial to Graves? Which seemed to make no difference?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Graves revised this publication in 1957? Do you believe this was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)