|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
2. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
3. At what age did Robert stop being fervant about his religious studies?
4. Which of the following places was Graves not billeted?
5. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
2. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
3. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
4. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
5. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
6. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
7. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
8. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
9. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
10. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some describe this novel as a satire on wartime experiences. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)