|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
2. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
3. What injury did Graves suffer?
4. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
5. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
2. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
3. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
4. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
5. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
6. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
7. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
8. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
9. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
10. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Graves' views and experiences during WWI changed his personality. Do you believe the changes happened to the majority of those that served? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Could this novel be used as a text in a history class? Would it be beneficial? Is it biased? Why or why not?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)