|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
2. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
3. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
4. Where did Graves spend at least five of his summers while he was a child?
5. What injury did Graves suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
2. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
3. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
4. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
5. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
6. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
7. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
8. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
9. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
10. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the events in this novel? Why do you feel that way? In what way has reading the personal accounts within this novel changed your personal views or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)