|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Graves' first wife die from?
2. How far back is Graves able to trace his ancestral history?
3. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
4. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
5. How did Graves' unit travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
2. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
3. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
4. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
5. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
6. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
7. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
8. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
9. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
10. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Battle of Loos as seen through Graves' eyes. Was this battle well thought out? Was it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is considered a chronicle. What does this term mean to you? Do you believe it is an accurate description of this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe Graves revised this publication in 1957? Do you believe this was a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)