|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Graves born?
2. To what rank was Graves gazetted during Chapter 16?
3. In what year does Graves believe Mallory reached the summit of Mount Everest?
4. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
5. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
2. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
3. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
4. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
5. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
6. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
7. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
8. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
9. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
10. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Battle of Loos as seen through Graves' eyes. Was this battle well thought out? Was it effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is considered a chronicle. What does this term mean to you? Do you believe it is an accurate description of this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)