|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves choose to think of Dick after reading the newspaper article about him?
2. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
3. How long after Graves finished school at Charterhouse did it take before England declared war on Germany?
4. What injury did Graves suffer?
5. Which of the following people did Graves meet during his final year in school who was also a famous mountaineer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
2. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
3. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
4. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
5. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
6. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
7. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
8. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
9. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
10. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 2
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the events and experiences which happened to Graves throughout this novel with some you believe someone today would experience. Would they all be similar? Why might there be differences?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)