|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Graves enjoy his time in Germany and feel that he received respect?
2. What did Graves and his fellow officers argue the merits of?
3. Where was Graves posted when he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers?
4. In what month did Graves rejoin the 1st battalion?
5. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
2. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
3. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
4. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
5. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
6. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
7. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
8. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
9. In what way did Graves describe the constant flow of troops in his regiment and how did the constant change affect morale?
10. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail what portions of the novel were most important for study? Why do you believe them to be most important? Are there portions which could be eliminated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is considered a chronicle. What does this term mean to you? Do you believe it is an accurate description of this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)