|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
2. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
3. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
4. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
5. Which of the following best defines the term untoward when used to describe Jack Graves' school chum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
2. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
3. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
4. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
5. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
6. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
7. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
8. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
9. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
10. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Graves discussed the treatment of captured Germans. How were his views different from the majority? Were his views justified? Do you agree or disagree with his views? Why do you hold this opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the events and experiences which happened to Graves throughout this novel with some you believe someone today would experience. Would they all be similar? Why might there be differences?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)