|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
2. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
3. How did Graves choose to think of Dick after reading the newspaper article about him?
4. Where did Graves and George Mallory become good friends?
5. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
2. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
3. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
4. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
5. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
6. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
7. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
8. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
9. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
10. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is considered a chronicle. What does this term mean to you? Do you believe it is an accurate description of this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Graves spent a great deal of time in the trenches. How did this particular type of battle help the English? Do you believe this is an effective strategy to use during battles? Is it still used today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)