|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
2. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
3. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
4. How old were Robert's parents when he was born?
5. Which of the following did Graves indicate was not rampant among the officers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
2. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
3. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
4. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
5. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
6. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
7. In what way did Graves describe the constant flow of troops in his regiment and how did the constant change affect morale?
8. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
9. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
10. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Graves revised this publication in 1957? Do you believe this was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)