|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters was killed in Chapter 18?
2. How did Graves choose to think of Dick after reading the newspaper article about him?
3. Where was Graves sent starting at age six?
4. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
5. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
2. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
3. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
4. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
5. How did Robert Graves and his friend, Nevill Barbour, feel about their time in public schools?
6. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
7. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
8. How were Graves and his siblings raised and what was the system they were raised under?
9. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
10. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe Graves revised this publication in 1957? Do you believe this was a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some describe this novel as a satire on wartime experiences. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)