|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
2. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
3. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
4. What sport did Graves take up to help him be left alone by school bullies?
5. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
2. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
3. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
4. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
5. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
6. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
7. How did Graves describe the men of the Welsh Regiment personally and as soldiers and how did this make Graves feel?
8. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
9. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
10. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 2
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Could this novel be used as a text in a history class? Would it be beneficial? Is it biased? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)