|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Graves in Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
2. Which of the following did Graves indicate was not rampant among the officers?
3. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
4. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
5. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
2. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
3. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
4. How did Graves describe the men of the Welsh Regiment personally and as soldiers and how did this make Graves feel?
5. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
6. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
7. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
8. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
9. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
10. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did the information in this novel change your views on WWI? How? If it did not, why did it not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Graves' trip back to London after he was seriously injured. How would you feel under these same conditions? Do you believe this was good medical practice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Some describe this novel as a satire on wartime experiences. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)