|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
2. What sport did Graves take up to help him be left alone by school bullies?
3. With whom did Graves develop an amorous, but not physically erotic, relationship?
4. In what year was Chapter 13 originally written?
5. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
2. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
3. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
4. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
5. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
6. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
7. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
8. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
9. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
10. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you describe as the major themes of this novel? Which of these themes can you personally relate to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the events in this novel? Why do you feel that way? In what way has reading the personal accounts within this novel changed your personal views or beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What character traits can be found in common with many of the characters described throughout the novel? Are these positive or negative character traits? Do you believe most of the characters are positive role models? Why or why not?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)