|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Amalie von Ranke want to perform while traveling?
(a) Humanitarian services
(b) Finding a husband
(c) Writing travel brochures
(d) Sight seeing
2. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
3. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
(a) Drink heavily
(b) Pool their cash into a sweepstakes
(c) Go into town to have a party
(d) Read and prayer together as a group
4. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
5. What did Graves spend his time doing in Harfleur 'Bull Ring' ?
(a) Conducting drills for new units
(b) Socializing with his friends
(c) Writing poems
(d) Documenting atrocities
6. What was issued in preparation for the Somme?
(a) New gas masks
(b) New mortars
(c) New rifles
(d) New bullets
7. With whom did Graves develop an amorous, but not physically erotic, relationship?
8. Where was Graves posted when he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers?
(a) 3rd Battalion
(b) 4th Battalion
(c) 1st Battalion
(d) 2nd Battalion
9. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
(a) 2 months
(b) 1 day
(c) 1 week
(d) 2 days
10. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
11. In what month did Graves rejoin the 1st battalion?
12. In what year was Graves born?
13. How long after Graves finished school at Charterhouse did it take before England declared war on Germany?
(a) Two days
(b) One month
(c) One week
(d) Two weeks
14. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
15. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
(a) Surrending to the Germans
(b) Participating in four of the hardest fought victories
(c) Being disgraced by the cavalry
(d) Supporting the Navy
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Graves believe Mallory reached the summit of Mount Everest?
2. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
3. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
4. Where was Graves born?
5. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)