|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
2. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
(a) Write war plan and attack plans
(b) Write articles
(c) Write for a newspaper
(d) Write poetry
3. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
(a) Pool their cash into a sweepstakes
(b) Go into town to have a party
(c) Drink heavily
(d) Read and prayer together as a group
4. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
(a) All twenty-nine regiments did not surrender
(b) They were abandoned by the Navy
(c) Other regiments surrendered before they did
(d) There was no physical record that they surrendered
5. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
(a) April and May
(b) July and August
(c) June and July
(d) May and June
6. From what disease did Robert suffer at the young age of approximately four-and-one-half?
(b) Scarlet fever
7. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
(a) Oral dictation
(b) Personal letters
(c) Diary entries
(d) Personal narrative
8. What injury did Graves suffer?
(a) Bullet wound
(b) Rib fracture
(c) Broken nose
(d) Broken leg
9. Which of the following characters was killed in Chapter 18?
(b) Captain Richardson
(c) Siegfried Sassoon
(d) Dave Thomas
10. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
11. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
12. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
(a) Supporting the Navy
(b) Surrending to the Germans
(c) Being disgraced by the cavalry
(d) Participating in four of the hardest fought victories
13. To what rank was Graves gazetted during Chapter 16?
14. What did Graves consider himself?
(d) Poet and writer
15. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
(b) Leaving the trenches and hiding
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Graves born?
2. Where did Graves and some others go to rescue survivors after the battle of Loo?
3. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
4. Why did Graves enjoy his time in Germany and feel that he received respect?
5. Which of the following best describes Graves' experience at Charterhouse?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)