|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
(a) There was no physical record that they surrendered
(b) They were abandoned by the Navy
(c) All twenty-nine regiments did not surrender
(d) Other regiments surrendered before they did
2. What did Graves and his fellow officers argue the merits of?
(a) Nationality drills
(b) Parade-ground drill
(c) Purposing of conducting lectures
(d) Religious beliefs
3. Where did Graves say the chaplains could be found?
(a) Safely in the churches
(b) Far behind the lines
(c) In the trenches
(d) Front lines
4. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
5. What were the ribbons which the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics called?
6. Which of the following places was Graves not billeted?
(b) Cuinchy Brick Stacks
7. What did Graves consider himself?
(d) Poet and writer
8. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
(a) His parents were not wealthy
(b) Graves kept money for other things he wanted to do rather than to buy clothing
(c) Graves did not care about his appearance
(d) His parents did not provide pocket money
9. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
(a) After he aged and reflected back on his childhood
(b) When his relatives committed crimes
(c) As the great war approached
(d) When he was home in England
10. What did Amalie von Ranke want to perform while traveling?
(a) Writing travel brochures
(b) Sight seeing
(c) Humanitarian services
(d) Finding a husband
11. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
(a) Desired to be commanded
(b) Independent thinkers
12. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
13. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Unfinished battle
(b) Piece of wood used in battle
(c) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
(d) Accommodations for service people
14. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
15. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
(a) Pool their cash into a sweepstakes
(b) Read and prayer together as a group
(c) Go into town to have a party
(d) Drink heavily
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Graves born?
2. What happened to nearly all of Graves' relatives who fought in the German armed forces?
3. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
4. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
5. How many men passed through the Royal Welch Fusiliers throughout the course of the war according to Graves?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)