|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
(a) Diary entries
(b) Personal narrative
(c) Personal letters
(d) Oral dictation
2. How old were Robert's parents when he was born?
(a) Mother 30; Father 50
(b) Mother 48; Father 42
(c) Mother 50; Father 30
(d) Mother 40; Father 49
3. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
4. What was the age range of the men in Graves' platoon of Welshmen?
5. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
(c) Moralistic stories
6. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
(a) When his relatives committed crimes
(b) After he aged and reflected back on his childhood
(c) When he was home in England
(d) As the great war approached
7. How was the regiment's second-in-command referred to?
(a) Punctilious Page
(b) Arrogant Idiot
(c) Buzz Off
(d) Captain Cornball
8. To what sport did Mallory introduce Graves?
9. Which disease did Graves believe resulted mostly from low morale?
(a) Trench feet
10. Where did Graves say the chaplains could be found?
(a) Front lines
(b) In the trenches
(c) Far behind the lines
(d) Safely in the churches
11. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
(a) Sexual partners
(d) Good friends
12. How did Graves' unit travel?
(a) Truck, train and foot
(b) Train and foot
(c) Train only
(d) Foot only
13. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
14. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
(a) 1 week
(b) 1 day
(c) 2 days
(d) 2 months
15. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
(a) His parents did not provide pocket money
(b) Graves did not care about his appearance
(c) His parents were not wealthy
(d) Graves kept money for other things he wanted to do rather than to buy clothing
Short Answer Questions
1. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
2. What was issued in preparation for the Somme?
3. What position did Graves hold during his final year at Charterhouse?
4. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
5. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)