|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
(a) Desired to be commanded
(c) Independent thinkers
2. Where did Graves and some others go to rescue survivors after the battle of Loo?
(b) No Man's Land
(c) Barbed wire area
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Unfinished battle
(b) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
(c) Piece of wood used in battle
(d) Accommodations for service people
4. Where was Graves posted when he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers?
(a) 4th Battalion
(b) 3rd Battalion
(c) 2nd Battalion
(d) 1st Battalion
5. What happened to nearly all of Graves' relatives who fought in the German armed forces?
(a) Went AWOL
(b) Were war heros
(c) Defected to England
(d) Killed in action
6. How long after Graves finished school at Charterhouse did it take before England declared war on Germany?
(a) Two weeks
(b) One month
(c) One week
(d) Two days
7. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
8. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
(a) 2 months
(b) 2 days
(c) 1 day
(d) 1 week
9. What did the officers discuss that were purported to have been committed by specific units or nationalities?
(b) Improbable acts
(c) Acts of kindness
(d) Surprising maneuvers
10. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
(a) June and July
(b) May and June
(c) April and May
(d) July and August
11. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
(a) Abandoned it
(b) Sent it to the rear
(c) Kept it on their backs
(d) Hid it in trenches
12. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
(a) They were abandoned by the Navy
(b) Other regiments surrendered before they did
(c) There was no physical record that they surrendered
(d) All twenty-nine regiments did not surrender
13. What position did Graves hold during his final year at Charterhouse?
(a) Assistant editor
(b) Assistant Teacher
14. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
15. What did Graves consider himself?
(c) Poet and writer
Short Answer Questions
1. How old were Robert's parents when he was born?
2. From what did Graves resign during his final year at school?
3. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
4. In what year did Graves indicate Chapter 12 was originally written?
5. What was the age range of the men in Graves' platoon of Welshmen?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)