|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Graves in Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
(a) 5 weeks
(b) 4 weeks
(c) 8 weeks
(d) 10 weeks
2. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
(a) When his relatives committed crimes
(b) As the great war approached
(c) When he was home in England
(d) After he aged and reflected back on his childhood
3. What happened to nearly all of Graves' relatives who fought in the German armed forces?
(a) Defected to England
(b) Killed in action
(c) Went AWOL
(d) Were war heros
4. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
(c) Leaving the trenches and hiding
5. How many men passed through the Royal Welch Fusiliers throughout the course of the war according to Graves?
(a) 15-20 thousand
(c) 100-120 thousand
(d) 10 thousand
6. How long after Graves finished school at Charterhouse did it take before England declared war on Germany?
(a) One week
(b) One month
(c) Two weeks
(d) Two days
7. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
8. How did Graves' unit travel?
(a) Train only
(b) Train and foot
(c) Truck, train and foot
(d) Foot only
9. Where was Graves born?
(d) United States
10. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
11. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
(a) Write articles
(b) Write poetry
(c) Write for a newspaper
(d) Write war plan and attack plans
12. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
13. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
14. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Competed well in a local boxing match
(b) Spoke German fluently
(c) Organized his troops well
(d) Showed exlempary guarding duties
15. What was the age range of the men in Graves' platoon of Welshmen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people did Graves meet during his final year in school who was also a famous mountaineer?
2. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
3. Which of the following places was Graves not billeted?
4. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
5. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)