|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Graves posted when he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers?
(a) 3rd Battalion
(b) 4th Battalion
(c) 2nd Battalion
(d) 1st Battalion
2. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
(b) Train cars
(c) Abandoned buildings
3. How long was Graves in Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
(a) 4 weeks
(b) 8 weeks
(c) 10 weeks
(d) 5 weeks
4. What happened to nearly all of Graves' relatives who fought in the German armed forces?
(a) Went AWOL
(b) Defected to England
(c) Killed in action
(d) Were war heros
5. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
(a) 2 months
(b) 2 days
(c) 1 week
(d) 1 day
6. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
(a) Hid it in trenches
(b) Sent it to the rear
(c) Kept it on their backs
(d) Abandoned it
7. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
(a) April and May
(b) June and July
(c) May and June
(d) July and August
8. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
(d) Leaving the trenches and hiding
9. In what year was Graves born?
10. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
(a) Trench rifles
(b) Chlorine gas
(c) Uniform discharges
11. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Organized his troops well
(b) Spoke German fluently
(c) Showed exlempary guarding duties
(d) Competed well in a local boxing match
12. Where was Graves sent starting at age six?
(b) Preparatory school
13. What were the ribbons which the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics called?
14. In what sport did Graves win a first place prize?
15. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
(a) Write war plan and attack plans
(b) Write for a newspaper
(c) Write articles
(d) Write poetry
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
2. From what disease did Robert suffer at the young age of approximately four-and-one-half?
3. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
4. In what month did Graves rejoin the 1st battalion?
5. What did Amalie von Ranke want to perform while traveling?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)