|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to nearly all of Graves' relatives who fought in the German armed forces?
(a) Defected to England
(b) Went AWOL
(c) Were war heros
(d) Killed in action
2. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
(a) Good friends
(c) Sexual partners
3. In what year was Graves born?
4. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
5. Which of the following did Graves indicate was not rampant among the officers?
6. Which of the following classes of people ranked lowest within the social code that Graves describes?
(c) Immigrant workers
7. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Showed exlempary guarding duties
(b) Spoke German fluently
(c) Organized his troops well
(d) Competed well in a local boxing match
8. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
9. What sport did Graves take up to help him be left alone by school bullies?
10. What did Amalie von Ranke want to perform while traveling?
(a) Sight seeing
(b) Humanitarian services
(c) Finding a husband
(d) Writing travel brochures
11. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
12. Which of the following people did Graves meet during his final year in school who was also a famous mountaineer?
(a) Raymond Rodakowski
(b) Nevill Barbour
(c) Dick Snowdon
(d) George Mallory
13. What disgusted Graves that was a somewhat common practice among the students at Charterhouse?
(a) Hatred of all things German
14. Which of the following places was Graves not billeted?
(c) Cuinchy Brick Stacks
15. What was the age range of the men in Graves' platoon of Welshmen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Graves' skills at sports?
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes how Graves found climbing?
3. How far back is Graves able to trace his ancestral history?
4. What injury did Graves suffer?
5. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)