|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
2. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
3. Which of the following best defines the term untoward when used to describe Jack Graves' school chum?
4. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
(a) Graves did not care about his appearance
(b) Graves kept money for other things he wanted to do rather than to buy clothing
(c) His parents were not wealthy
(d) His parents did not provide pocket money
5. How long after Graves finished school at Charterhouse did it take before England declared war on Germany?
(a) Two days
(b) One month
(c) Two weeks
(d) One week
6. Where did Graves say the chaplains could be found?
(a) Front lines
(b) Safely in the churches
(c) In the trenches
(d) Far behind the lines
7. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
(a) Being disgraced by the cavalry
(b) Supporting the Navy
(c) Surrending to the Germans
(d) Participating in four of the hardest fought victories
8. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
9. To what sport did Mallory introduce Graves?
10. Where was Graves sent starting at age six?
(c) Preparatory school
11. In what month did Graves rejoin the 1st battalion?
12. How did Graves describe the religious feeling among the soldiers?
(b) Slipping, but still present
(d) Surprisingly resilient
13. Which of the following characters was killed in Chapter 18?
(b) Captain Richardson
(c) Siegfried Sassoon
(d) Dave Thomas
14. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
(d) Leaving the trenches and hiding
15. How long did Graves spend in basic training?
(a) Three weeks
(b) Two months
(c) One week
(d) Three months
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Graves' first wife die from?
2. How was the regiment's second-in-command referred to?
3. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
4. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
5. With whom did Graves develop an amorous, but not physically erotic, relationship?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)