|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
2. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
3. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
4. What disgusted Graves that was a somewhat common practice among the students at Charterhouse?
(a) Hatred of all things German
5. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
6. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
(a) Abandoned it
(b) Hid it in trenches
(c) Sent it to the rear
(d) Kept it on their backs
7. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
(a) New types of trench weapons
(b) New uniforms
(c) New medals and honors
(d) Specialized medication
8. Which of the following people did Graves meet during his final year in school who was also a famous mountaineer?
(a) Raymond Rodakowski
(b) George Mallory
(c) Dick Snowdon
(d) Nevill Barbour
9. What position did Graves hold during his final year at Charterhouse?
(a) Assistant editor
(b) Assistant Teacher
10. Why did Graves enjoy his time in Germany and feel that he received respect?
(a) Castles they lived in
(b) Relatives' local prestige and lineage
(c) The fact that he was visiting and did not reside in Germany
(d) Parents' financial status
11. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
(a) May and June
(b) July and August
(c) June and July
(d) April and May
12. Which of the following is the best definition for the term desultory as used to describe German shelling?
13. Which of the following adjectives best describes how Graves found climbing?
14. From what did Graves resign during his final year at school?
(b) Officers' Training Corps
(c) The Carthusian
(d) Boxing club
15. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the officers discuss that were purported to have been committed by specific units or nationalities?
2. In what year was Chapter 13 originally written?
3. In what year does Graves believe Mallory reached the summit of Mount Everest?
4. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
5. From what disease did Robert suffer at the young age of approximately four-and-one-half?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)