|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
(a) New medals and honors
(b) New uniforms
(c) New types of trench weapons
(d) Specialized medication
2. How many men passed through the Royal Welch Fusiliers throughout the course of the war according to Graves?
(a) 15-20 thousand
(b) 10 thousand
(c) 100-120 thousand
3. Which of the following best describes Graves' experience at Charterhouse?
(c) Intellectually stimulating
4. To what rank was Graves gazetted during Chapter 16?
5. Where did Graves and some others go to rescue survivors after the battle of Loo?
(b) No Man's Land
(d) Barbed wire area
6. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
(a) Graves kept money for other things he wanted to do rather than to buy clothing
(b) Graves did not care about his appearance
(c) His parents did not provide pocket money
(d) His parents were not wealthy
7. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
(a) Poetic skills
(b) Academic skills
(c) Physical ability
(d) Mental Abilities
8. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
(a) Stokes' Mortars
(b) New weapons of great destruction
(d) Mortar shells
9. What did the officers discuss that were purported to have been committed by specific units or nationalities?
(a) Improbable acts
(b) Surprising maneuvers
(d) Acts of kindness
10. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Piece of wood used in battle
(b) Accommodations for service people
(c) Unfinished battle
(d) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
11. What happened to nearly all of Graves' relatives who fought in the German armed forces?
(a) Went AWOL
(b) Killed in action
(c) Were war heros
(d) Defected to England
12. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
(a) Go into town to have a party
(b) Drink heavily
(c) Read and prayer together as a group
(d) Pool their cash into a sweepstakes
13. How did Graves' unit travel?
(a) Train and foot
(b) Foot only
(c) Truck, train and foot
(d) Train only
14. How far back is Graves able to trace his ancestral history?
15. How old were Robert's parents when he was born?
(a) Mother 48; Father 42
(b) Mother 40; Father 49
(c) Mother 30; Father 50
(d) Mother 50; Father 30
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
2. Which of the following best defines the term untoward when used to describe Jack Graves' school chum?
3. With whom did Graves develop an amorous, but not physically erotic, relationship?
4. In August of 1915, where was a major offensive planned?
5. In what year did Graves indicate Chapter 12 was originally written?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)