|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Graves sent starting at age six?
(a) Preparatory school
2. What did Graves' first wife die from?
3. What did Amalie von Ranke want to perform while traveling?
(a) Sight seeing
(b) Humanitarian services
(c) Finding a husband
(d) Writing travel brochures
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term desultory as used to describe German shelling?
5. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
6. How was the regiment's second-in-command referred to?
(a) Arrogant Idiot
(b) Buzz Off
(c) Punctilious Page
(d) Captain Cornball
7. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
(a) New uniforms
(b) New types of trench weapons
(c) Specialized medication
(d) New medals and honors
8. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
(a) Academic skills
(b) Poetic skills
(c) Mental Abilities
(d) Physical ability
9. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
(a) April and May
(b) July and August
(c) June and July
(d) May and June
10. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
(a) Uniform discharges
(c) Trench rifles
(d) Chlorine gas
11. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
12. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Unfinished battle
(b) Accommodations for service people
(c) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
(d) Piece of wood used in battle
13. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
(a) Write war plan and attack plans
(b) Write for a newspaper
(c) Write poetry
(d) Write articles
14. In August of 1915, where was a major offensive planned?
(a) La Bassye
15. How old were Robert's parents when he was born?
(a) Mother 30; Father 50
(b) Mother 48; Father 42
(c) Mother 40; Father 49
(d) Mother 50; Father 30
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Graves indicate was not rampant among the officers?
2. In what month did Graves rejoin the 1st battalion?
3. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
4. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
5. Where did Graves and George Mallory become good friends?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)