|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what did Graves resign during his final year at school?
(a) Officers' Training Corps
(c) Boxing club
(d) The Carthusian
2. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
3. To what sport did Mallory introduce Graves?
4. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Showed exlempary guarding duties
(b) Organized his troops well
(c) Competed well in a local boxing match
(d) Spoke German fluently
5. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
(a) New types of trench weapons
(b) New uniforms
(c) Specialized medication
(d) New medals and honors
6. Which of the following classes of people ranked lowest within the social code that Graves describes?
(d) Immigrant workers
7. Where did Graves spend at least five of his summers while he was a child?
8. Which of the following best defines the term untoward when used to describe Jack Graves' school chum?
9. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
10. Why did Graves enjoy his time in Germany and feel that he received respect?
(a) Parents' financial status
(b) Relatives' local prestige and lineage
(c) The fact that he was visiting and did not reside in Germany
(d) Castles they lived in
11. In what sport did Graves win a first place prize?
12. At what age did Robert stop being fervant about his religious studies?
13. Where was Graves dispatched to join a unit destined for combat in France?
14. In what year was Chapter 13 originally written?
15. Which disease did Graves believe resulted mostly from low morale?
(d) Trench feet
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Graves spend in basic training?
2. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
3. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
4. With whom did Graves develop an amorous, but not physically erotic, relationship?
5. How many men passed through the Royal Welch Fusiliers throughout the course of the war according to Graves?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)