|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for the term desultory as used to describe German shelling?
2. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
(a) Go into town to have a party
(b) Read and prayer together as a group
(c) Pool their cash into a sweepstakes
(d) Drink heavily
3. What did Graves spend his time doing in Harfleur 'Bull Ring' ?
(a) Socializing with his friends
(b) Writing poems
(c) Documenting atrocities
(d) Conducting drills for new units
4. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
(a) New types of trench weapons
(b) New uniforms
(c) Specialized medication
(d) New medals and honors
5. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
(a) When he was home in England
(b) As the great war approached
(c) After he aged and reflected back on his childhood
(d) When his relatives committed crimes
6. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
7. What were the ribbons which the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics called?
8. Which of the following best describes Graves' experience at Charterhouse?
(d) Intellectually stimulating
9. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
(c) Good friends
(d) Sexual partners
10. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
(b) New weapons of great destruction
(c) Stokes' Mortars
(d) Mortar shells
11. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
(a) Poetic skills
(b) Physical ability
(c) Academic skills
(d) Mental Abilities
12. In what year did Graves indicate Chapter 12 was originally written?
13. Where was Graves born?
(b) United States
14. How many men passed through the Royal Welch Fusiliers throughout the course of the war according to Graves?
(b) 15-20 thousand
(c) 10 thousand
(d) 100-120 thousand
15. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
(a) Write for a newspaper
(b) Write poetry
(c) Write articles
(d) Write war plan and attack plans
Short Answer Questions
1. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
2. Which of the following best describes Graves' skills at sports?
3. How long did Graves spend in basic training?
4. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
5. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)