|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
2. What were the ribbons which the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics called?
3. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
(b) Leaving the trenches and hiding
4. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
(a) Mental Abilities
(b) Physical ability
(c) Poetic skills
(d) Academic skills
5. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
(a) When he was home in England
(b) After he aged and reflected back on his childhood
(c) As the great war approached
(d) When his relatives committed crimes
6. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
7. Which of the following classes of people ranked lowest within the social code that Graves describes?
(a) Immigrant workers
8. Where was Graves sent starting at age six?
(d) Preparatory school
9. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
(a) Chlorine gas
(b) Trench rifles
(c) Uniform discharges
10. How many men passed through the Royal Welch Fusiliers throughout the course of the war according to Graves?
(a) 100-120 thousand
(b) 15-20 thousand
(d) 10 thousand
11. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
(a) 2 days
(b) 1 week
(c) 2 months
(d) 1 day
12. From what disease did Robert suffer at the young age of approximately four-and-one-half?
(a) Scarlet fever
13. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
(a) His parents did not provide pocket money
(b) Graves kept money for other things he wanted to do rather than to buy clothing
(c) His parents were not wealthy
(d) Graves did not care about his appearance
14. How old were Robert's parents when he was born?
(a) Mother 48; Father 42
(b) Mother 40; Father 49
(c) Mother 30; Father 50
(d) Mother 50; Father 30
15. In what year did Graves indicate Chapter 12 was originally written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best defines the term untoward when used to describe Jack Graves' school chum?
2. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
3. How long did Graves spend in basic training?
4. Which of the following places was Graves not billeted?
5. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)