Prologue | Chapter 1
* Robert von Ranke Graves was born near London in 1895.
* He considered himself a poet and writer, who uses the position of University Professor to avoid the social implications and complications of being a writer.
* He traced his family lineage back to 1267 with the maternal side being German and the paternal side being French, English and Irish. His father was married twice. His first wife bore five children.
Chapter 2 | Chapter 3
* Robert's father married his second wife, Amalie, who gave him five more children. Robert was 8th out of the ten children.
* Robert felt his parents were more like grandparents than parents because they were much older, but everyone got along well enough.
* He describes his upbringing as strict with some religious fervor and an interest in literature.
* He was sent at a preparatory school at age six called Charterhouse, which was a well established and respected school...
This section contains 1,879 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)