|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of style did the new headmaster have?
2. What did Chips wonder about in Chapter 16?
3. What does Chip mention as never forgetting In Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 12, what was read every Sunday night during Chapel service?
5. What did Brookfield boys do during the 1926 General Strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what changes was Ralston trying to incorporate into Brookfield school?
2. What did Chips do in his retirement? What was a topic of conversation at many dinners that Chips attended?
3. What did Chatteris ask Chips to do since many younger teachers were away fighting in the War?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Chips note that he enjoys doing in winter and summer?
5. What happened when Chatteris fell ill in the winter of 1917?
6. When did Chips arrive at the decision to retire?
7. What troubled a student named Grayson in Chapter 10?
8. What did Chips say to his students in his farewell speech?
9. What troubles did Chatteris tell Chips about in Chapter 13?
10. What happened after Headmaster Meldrum died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of that genre? What are some examples of those characteristics in "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss at least three of the different historical events mentioned in the novel, and their connection to the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What struggles and challenges does Chips' face throughout the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? How does he overcome them? How do those challenges change him as a character?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)