|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Chips recall two-thirds of the school once having contracted?
2. What did everyone notice about Chips after Katherine's death?
3. Where did Chips and Sir John Rivers take a walk together?
4. Who became the school's new headmaster?
5. How did Ralston claim to have doubled the school's endowment fund?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Chips feel while reflecting on the years of World War I?
2. In Chapter 13, what would Chips sit and listen to every Saturday night?
3. What financial arrangements does Chips make in Chapter 16?
4. When did Chips arrive at the decision to retire?
5. What did everyone seem to accept about Chips following Katherine's death?
6. In Chapter 11, what changes was Ralston trying to incorporate into Brookfield school?
7. How did having Katherine in his life help Chips survive after her death?
8. In Chapter 14, what did Mr. Chips do that some people found inappropriate?
9. Where did Ralston go after resigning from Brookfield? Who replaced him?
10. What did Chips do when he led a class during a bombing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chips' retirement years. Why did he retire the first time? Describe his farewell party. Why did he return to Brookfield to work after retiring? How did he feel about being headmaster? Why did he retire the second time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? What time period is it set? How does the setting influence the actions of the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mr. Chips' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novel? How was he able to do that? How does it change his career?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)