|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Someone in Chapter 9 states that Chips 'gets away with' which of the following?
2. How did Ralston claim to have doubled the school's endowment fund?
3. How does Ralston describe Chips' appearance in Chapter 11?
4. How old does Chips recall being in Chapter 9?
5. What did Chips note had changed among students and masters at Brookfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Chips take his second retirement?
2. What did Chips say to his students in his farewell speech?
3. Which dignitary does Chips remember visiting the school? How did Chips feel about that person?
4. What does Chips still have memorized in Chapter 9?
5. Why did Chatteris say that Brookfield needed Chips to return?
6. In Chapter 16, how do the new boys at Brookfield react to Mr. Chips? What does that say about him?
7. What did Chips do when he led a class during a bombing?
8. How did word of Chips' and Ralston's argument spread throughout the school? What was the reaction from the staff and students?
9. In Chapter 11, what changes was Ralston trying to incorporate into Brookfield school?
10. What did Chips do in his retirement? What was a topic of conversation at many dinners that Chips attended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? What time period is it set? How does the setting influence the actions of the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss at least three of the different historical events mentioned in the novel, and their connection to the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the climax of the novel. What is a climax? What is the climax of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? What changes occur because of the climax? What is Mr. Chips' emotional state during the climax?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)