|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, how did the students react to the changed Mr. Chips?
2. What was the year that Mr. Chips was born?
3. Before Katherine, which of the following was NOT something that Chips could be relied on to provide to the students at Brookfield?
4. What was the old fifth-form room at Brookfield called?
5. What did Mrs. Wickett once do at Brookfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what did Chips tell Katherine that caused her to laugh in response?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Chips find on his classroom desk?
3. What is ironic about Chips' efforts to go to Katherine's aid in Chapter 4?
4. What was Katherine relieved to find out about Chips?
5. How does Chips recall Katherine advocating the disciplining of students?
6. In Chapter 3, what are the boys who visit Chips for tea mistaken about?
7. What suggestion did Katherine make about the school soccer team which had everyone aghast?
8. Why did Chips give up his original dream for his career?
9. How does Chips schedule his daily life?
10. What does Chips try to figure out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss at least three of the different historical events mentioned in the novel, and their connection to the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mr. Chips' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novel? How was he able to do that? How does it change his career?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? What time period is it set? How does the setting influence the actions of the characters and the plot?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)