|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what did Chips plan with Katherine?
2. What source did Katherine suggest that Brookfield should use to recruit boys to play sports at the School?
3. On the night before their wedding, what did Katherine say that she felt like?
4. How old does Chips recall being in Chapter 4?
5. How did the young woman travel to see Chips everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chips think has dulled in intensity with time?
2. What did Chips hear happened to the visitor whom he had in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Chips find on his classroom desk?
4. What does Chips try to figure out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What does Chips recall about the first boy he ever punished?
6. Why does Chips like living near Brookfield School?
7. What suggestion did Katherine make about the school soccer team which had everyone aghast?
8. Describe Chips' bedroom.
9. How did Katherine bring about a change in Chips' career?
10. Describe Brookfield School.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of that genre? What are some examples of those characteristics in "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"?
Essay Topic 2
What is an anecdote? What are some examples of anecdotes in "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? How do those anecdotes affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What struggles and challenges does Chips' face throughout the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? How does he overcome them? How do those challenges change him as a character?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)