|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, who visited Chips years later and asked about Katherine?
2. What had always been Chips' ideal type of woman?
3. Who was the headmaster who hired Mr. Chips?
4. When was the school's main structure rebuilt and additions made?
5. What did Chips tell his visitor in Chapter 6 had been forgotten at Brookfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Katherine bring about a change in Chips' career?
2. How did Chips feel about his life in Chapter 4? In Chapter 4, Chips is 48- years-old, and is pleased with his life. He feels content and confident; and his career is going well because he has just been named house master.
3. What did Chips hear happened to the visitor whom he had in Chapter 6?
4. What does Chips recall about the first boy he ever punished?
5. How do Chips and Katherine form a close relationship?
6. Why did Chips give up his original dream for his career?
7. How did Chips think of the "New Woman" of the '90's; and what was his ideal type of woman?
8. Describe Brookfield School.
9. What does Chips think has dulled in intensity with time?
10. How did Mr. Wetherby counsel Chips before he began teaching at Brookfield School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the climax of the novel. What is a climax? What is the climax of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? What changes occur because of the climax? What is Mr. Chips' emotional state during the climax?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character, Mr. Chips. What are his defining character traits? What struggles and obstacles does he face throughout the novel? What does the reader learn about his background, career, and family life?
Essay Topic 3
What is a character foil? Who is Chips' character foil in "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? Why is that character Chips' character foil?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)