|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Chips' doctor?
2. On the night before their wedding, what did Katherine say that she felt like?
3. How does Chips describe the New Woman of the '90's?
4. In Chapter 6, who visited Chips years later and asked about Katherine?
5. What was the topic of a popular joke in Chips' Roman History class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chips try to figure out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Who is Mrs. Wickett? What does Dr. Merivale tell her about Chips' health?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Chips find on his classroom desk?
4. How does Chips schedule his daily life?
5. How do Chips and Katherine form a close relationship?
6. Describe Brookfield School.
7. What is ironic about Chips' efforts to go to Katherine's aid in Chapter 4?
8. In Chapter 3, what are the boys who visit Chips for tea mistaken about?
9. What did Chips' dream of doing when he was young?
10. How did Chips feel about his life in Chapter 4? In Chapter 4, Chips is 48- years-old, and is pleased with his life. He feels content and confident; and his career is going well because he has just been named house master.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Good-bye, Mr. Chips". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Hilton have chosen to end the novel the way that he did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips", James Hilton. What other books did he write? How was his work received by critics? What genre did he typically write in?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? What time period is it set? How does the setting influence the actions of the characters and the plot?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)