|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was on display on the walls of Chips' room?
2. What had always been Chips' ideal type of woman?
3. In Chapter 3, what is revealed that few people knew about Chips?
4. What did Mrs. Wickett once do at Brookfield?
5. In what year had Mr. Wetherby joined Brookfield's faculty?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what are the boys who visit Chips for tea mistaken about?
2. How did Katherine bring about a change in Chips' career?
3. What does Chips think has dulled in intensity with time?
4. How did Chips feel about his life in Chapter 4? In Chapter 4, Chips is 48- years-old, and is pleased with his life. He feels content and confident; and his career is going well because he has just been named house master.
5. In Chapter 8, what does Chips find on his classroom desk?
6. Why does Chips like living near Brookfield School?
7. In Chapter 5, what did Chips tell Katherine that caused her to laugh in response?
8. What does Brookfield's description as a second-rank school mean?
9. In Chapter 6, who returns to visit with Chips; and what news does Chips share with his visitor?
10. How did Chips think of the "New Woman" of the '90's; and what was his ideal type of woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? What time period is it set? How does the setting influence the actions of the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss at least three of the different historical events mentioned in the novel, and their connection to the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips", James Hilton. What other books did he write? How was his work received by critics? What genre did he typically write in?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)