|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had always been Chips' ideal type of woman?
2. In Chapter 3, why was it assumed that Chips had trouble making tea?
3. At what age did Chips retire from Brookfield?
4. In Chapter 7, where does Chips remember Katherine laughing?
5. What happened when Chips rushed to help a woman whom he thought was in trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chips recall about the first boy he ever punished?
2. How did Katherine bring about a change in Chips' career?
3. How does Chips recall Katherine advocating the disciplining of students?
4. How did Chips feel about his life in Chapter 4? In Chapter 4, Chips is 48- years-old, and is pleased with his life. He feels content and confident; and his career is going well because he has just been named house master.
5. How do Chips and Katherine form a close relationship?
6. What does Chips think has dulled in intensity with time?
7. How did Chips think of the "New Woman" of the '90's; and what was his ideal type of woman?
8. What did Chips hear happened to the visitor whom he had in Chapter 6?
9. What does Katherine say to Chips on the evening before their wedding?
10. In Chapter 7, what does Chips ponder about the school's history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Chips and Katherine. What ups and downs did they experience during their relationship? Were they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? How did Katherine influence Chips? How did Katherine's death affect Mr. Chips?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mr. Chips' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novel? How was he able to do that? How does it change his career?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mr. Chips' bond with Brookfield School and its students. How did that bond deepen as the years passed? What did Mr. Chips give his students, and what did they give him? How important were the students and the school life to him?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)