|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the school's main structure rebuilt and additions made?
2. What did Mr. Chips try to hide when he started working at the school?
3. What was Brookfield said to have experienced over the years?
4. Who did Mr. Chips occasionally invite over for tea?
5. Which of the following does Chips NOT have within his memories of his surroundings of the night before his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chips hear happened to the visitor whom he had in Chapter 6?
2. Who is Mrs. Wickett? What does Dr. Merivale tell her about Chips' health?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Chips ponder about the school's history?
4. What does Chips ask the students when he has them over for tea?
5. How did Chips think of the "New Woman" of the '90's; and what was his ideal type of woman?
6. In Chapter 8, what does Chips find on his classroom desk?
7. How did Mr. Wetherby counsel Chips before he began teaching at Brookfield School?
8. What is ironic about Chips' efforts to go to Katherine's aid in Chapter 4?
9. Describe Chips' bedroom.
10. What does Chips try to figure out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips", James Hilton. What other books did he write? How was his work received by critics? What genre did he typically write in?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss at least three of the different historical events mentioned in the novel, and their connection to the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the climax of the novel. What is a climax? What is the climax of the novel, "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? What changes occur because of the climax? What is Mr. Chips' emotional state during the climax?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)