|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had always been Chips' ideal type of woman?
2. What did Mrs. Wickett once do at Brookfield?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Mr. Chips ask Mrs. Wickett to give him?
4. On what occasion does Chips wonder whether the school had a holiday?
5. What did Chips consider to be a good source from which to learn the particular subjects that he taught?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what are the boys who visit Chips for tea mistaken about?
2. How did Chips think of the "New Woman" of the '90's; and what was his ideal type of woman?
3. What does Chips try to figure out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What did Chips hear happened to the visitor whom he had in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Chips ponder about the school's history?
6. Describe Brookfield School.
7. How does Chips schedule his daily life?
8. Describe Chips' bedroom.
9. What does Brookfield's description as a second-rank school mean?
10. What does Chips think has dulled in intensity with time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mr. Chips' bond with Brookfield School and its students. How did that bond deepen as the years passed? What did Mr. Chips give his students, and what did they give him? How important were the students and the school life to him?
Essay Topic 2
What is irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? How do those examples affect the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is an anecdote? What are some examples of anecdotes in "Good-bye, Mr. Chips"? How do those anecdotes affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)