|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Brookfield students died in the Battle of the Somme?
2. In Chapter 12, what was read every Sunday night during Chapel service?
(a) Letters from soldiers.
(b) The names of fallen former students.
(c) The local newspaper.
(d) Weekly messages from the King.
3. What does Chips remember doing in a ritualistic way in Chapter 9?
(a) Walking to the school.
(b) Marking papers.
(c) Planning lessons.
(d) Making roll call.
4. What began to spring up quite near to Brookfield in 1915?
(a) Refugee camps.
(b) Military camps.
(c) Low-cost housing.
5. What did Chips note had changed among students and masters at Brookfield?
(a) That there was more friendliness among them.
(b) That there were more misunderstandings among them.
(c) That there was a lack of respect among them.
(d) That there was more distance among them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chips love the summer months?
2. How did Chips deal with tense situations at the school?
3. In Chapter 10, who is the student who Chips notices as being upset?
4. What did Chips discover in himself after having had Katherine in his life?
5. In Chapter 12, which school term did Chips miss due to his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which dignitary does Chips remember visiting the school? How did Chips feel about that person?
2. What troubled a student named Grayson in Chapter 10?
3. What did Chips do when he led a class during a bombing?
4. What happened when Chatteris fell ill in the winter of 1917?
5. Who was Sir John Rivers, and what message did he take to Chips in Chapter 11?
6. In Chapter 14, what did Mr. Chips do that some people found inappropriate?
7. When did Chips take his second retirement?
8. In Chapter 10, what event does Chips recall witnessing? What did it make him consider about England's future?
9. What does Chips still have memorized in Chapter 9?
10. How did having Katherine in his life help Chips survive after her death?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)