|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose death does Chips recall the new headmaster announcing in Chapter 10?
(a) Queen Victoria's.
(b) The Duke of York's.
(c) King George V's.
(d) King Edward VII's.
2. In Chapter 13, why did Chatteris say that the school was suffering?
(a) Because the school was running out of operational funds.
(b) Because many students were being withdrawn by their families.
(c) Because most of the teachers were fighting in the War.
(d) Because the building was in need of repairs.
3. What kind of man was Ralson's replacement?
4. What did Chips consider the comment, "He still has 'em" to mean?
(a) That he was still able to hold an audience's attention.
(b) That he could still get away with anything.
(c) That he still had dignity and generosity.
(d) That he still had sense and vitality.
5. Where did Chips and Sir John Rivers take a walk together?
(a) Throughout the village.
(b) The school corridor.
(c) The cricket pitches.
(d) By the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Chips controversially include in the list of War dead one Sunday?
2. How does Ralston describe Chips' appearance in Chapter 11?
3. What is the first line in Chapter 13?
4. What did Chips consider giving up following Katherine's death??
5. Which group of people does Chips make reference to in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chips say to his students in his farewell speech?
2. How did having Katherine in his life help Chips survive after her death?
3. What did Chatteris ask Chips to do since many younger teachers were away fighting in the War?
4. What happened after Headmaster Meldrum died?
5. Why did Chatteris say that Brookfield needed Chips to return?
6. In Chapter 13, what would Chips sit and listen to every Saturday night?
7. When did Chips arrive at the decision to retire?
8. What happened when Chatteris fell ill in the winter of 1917?
9. How did word of Chips' and Ralston's argument spread throughout the school? What was the reaction from the staff and students?
10. In Chapter 16, what does Chips note that he enjoys doing in winter and summer?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)