|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medical condition did Chatteris have?
(a) A heart murmur.
2. How many Brookfield students died in the Battle of the Somme?
3. Who became the school's new headmaster?
4. What did Chips wonder about in Chapter 16?
(a) He wondered about what had happened to his former students.
(b) He wondered who was now teaching in his old classroom.
(c) He wondered whether England would go to war again.
(d) He wondered whether he could attend the school's year-end party.
5. What was the most gratifying thing for Chips when he returned to Brookfield?
(a) Joking with the students again.
(b) Having his old office back.
(c) Receiving a paycheck again.
(d) Feeling needed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Sir John Rivers?
2. In Chapter 10, what event is mentioned as having been witnessed by Chips and Katherine?
3. Who was the smallest new boy Brookfield had ever had?
4. In what area does Ralston feel that Chips has a problem teaching?
5. How does Ralston describe Chips' appearance in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, how do the new boys at Brookfield react to Mr. Chips? What does that say about him?
2. Which dignitary does Chips remember visiting the school? How did Chips feel about that person?
3. What financial arrangements does Chips make in Chapter 16?
4. Who was Sir John Rivers, and what message did he take to Chips in Chapter 11?
5. Why did Chatteris say that Brookfield needed Chips to return?
6. In Chapter 16, what does Chips feel while reflecting on the years of World War I?
7. When did Chips take his second retirement?
8. In Chapter 16, what does Chips note that he enjoys doing in winter and summer?
9. In Chapter 13, what would Chips sit and listen to every Saturday night?
10. In Chapter 11, what changes was Ralston trying to incorporate into Brookfield school?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)